The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+6
kingdaveeagle
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
James100
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 18 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST NOTTINGHAMSHIRE STARTING ON SUNDAY AT THE KIA OVAL.
Jason Roy is unavailable for selection having joined up with the England squad for the upcoming One Day and T20 Series against Sri Lanka. Sam Curran is unavailable for selection due to his school commitments and Matthew Pillans is unavailable due to illness.
Jade Dernbach,Matthew Dunn,and Mark Footitt keep Pillans company on the table.
On the plus side Dominic Sibley returns from injury and Gary Wilson returns from international duty.
The Surrey squad to play Nottinghamshire in the Specsavers County Championship at the Kia Oval on Sunday 19th June, Monday 20th June, Tuesday 21st June and Wednesday 22nd June:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Aneesh Kapil
Stuart Meaker
Ravi Rampaul
Kumar Sangakkara
Dominic Sibley
Gary Wilson
Do we go with 3 quicks or 4 is the dilemma? if 3 kapil Burke and wilson to miss out if 4 Kapil,Sibley and wilson, for me tough to call this one
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Sat 18 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm

3 quicks for me. We don't need 6 bowlers and Burke has proved to be a liability at 7. Kapil and Burke to miss out. Probably Wilson as the third, but wouldn't be too surprised to see him play ahead of Davies.

James100

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Sat 18 Jun 2016, 7:00 pm

A side note - due to the amount of injuries, Tom Curran, Rampaul, Meaker, Ansari and Batty must be close to the best bowling attack we've had out all year,

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm

Cheers, JimBob. Thought that Church was waiting for you to name the squad! Wink You're right that there are a few options.

All in all, inclined to agree with James about Burke, Kapil and Wilson not making the eleven.

However, don't think Davies or even Harinath can regard their places as nailed on. Not impossible that Sibley could open.

That said, I wonder how fit Sibley is and whether he might have to take a fitness test in the morning. If he does and fails it, I suspect Kapil would come in at number 7 and provide a few extra overs of seam for JimBob! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:13 am

Guildford proved right—a late fitness test rules Sibley out.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:30 am

James100 wrote:Guildford proved right—a late fitness test rules Sibley out.

Thanks, James. Hadn't seen that before.

Interesting Notts squad. They normally play 4 seamers plus Samit. However, obviously knowing about Batty and Ansari, they're expecting the wicket to be receptive to spin and have added Matt Carter to their squad. He's a 20 year old tallish off spinner and is likely to play. He's only one first class match under his belt in which he had the exceptionally impressive return of 10/195 including a sevenfer against Somerset last season at Taunton. That'll probably mean Hutton or our old friend and loanee Luke 'Norman Stanley' Fletcher missing out.

One bit of very good news - at least for Surrey - is that Read is out injured. He nearly always does well against us.

Hoping to get along to this one on Tuesday - moving day, eh Carlos?! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:36 am

Out now for the day - play well here and at the Oval, guys!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:39 am

Surrey win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:41 am

Kapil and Burke miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:58 am

Third degree out cheaply Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:14 pm

Kumar and the Baron run an all run five!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm

50 partnership clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm

50 for harinath clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:40 pm

Morning/afternoon all!  A good, steady start after losing Burns early. Got quite a reasonable line up for this match, albeit with considerable caveats about poor form.

50 for Harinath - much needed after his recent tailing off of form. clap clap  Haven't been listening but I'm assuming the outfield is large and/or slow today.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm

Kumar goes to mullaney picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

Wilson in at 4 - hmm
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:03 pm

Excellent session ruined at the end with the awful mullaney getting kumar mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:07 pm

We do seem prone to getting bogged down with a few maiden overs and losing wickets just before the interval....    Rolling Eyes

Still, a good knock by Harinath, and we'll have to hope that either or both of Davies and Wilson find some sort of form to build an innings....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:42 pm

Wilson goes 2nd ball after lunch censored

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:43 pm

Calm down olly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:46 pm

Well, that's our good start down the plughole then. Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:51 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Wilson in at 4 - hmm

Hmm indeed - about 3 spots too high for him in Div 1 cricket
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 2:31 pm

Harinath gone for 73.  That's a wicket each to the two Notts spinners.  Good innings by Harinath but, unless Davies, Foakes and Ansari score heavily, we're in danger of falling short of 250.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm

So then - who's up for trips to Derbyshire and Northamptonshire next year then
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sun 19 Jun 2016, 2:47 pm

Another awful display.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:01 pm

Seriously though Patel, Carter and mullaney should not be getting anyone out on day one. In mullaney's case any day Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:11 pm

That's all gone

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm

Awful session 4 wkts lost

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:01 pm

Agreed, pretty poor.  We have now at least scraped one batting point and Davies has put together a half decent score.  Maybe these two can push us towards the realms of a semi respectable score...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:15 pm

50* for Davies. One of the few bright spot's in today's play....

And 50 partnership with Tom Curran means, at 227 - 6, we're edging towards a second batting point.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:29 pm

230-6 - can we get to 300, something which isn't a complete disaster (as was looking likely at 130-5)

Note - both Nottinghamshire spinners have bowled 15 overs each on day one. Clearly Batty/Ansari have a huge role with the ball this game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:45 pm

A second batting point, just as the new ball becomes due. Partnership worth 79* clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:59 pm

100 partnership clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm

Curran 47*.  This is exactly what we've been looking for - the ability and attitude to play himself in and build an innings in the first class game.  It didn't really add up to have a No 8 with a first class batting average of about 16. Hopefully, he'll gain a lot of confidence and quickly haul his average to 25++

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:07 pm

100 partnership, we might get 300 here

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:18 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Curran 47*.  This is exactly what we've been looking for - the ability and attitude to play himself in and build an innings in the first class game.  It didn't really add up to have a No 8 with a first class batting average of about 16. Hopefully, he'll gain a lot of confidence and quickly haul his average to 25++

His batting seems to have taken a step forward this year - notably this innings and the one against Lancs when he opened
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:32 pm

50 for TC clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:35 pm

Very well batted Tom Curran. clap clap  284 - 6.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:38 pm

TC nooooooooooo Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

And now Davies what a disaster

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:43 pm

Thrown it away with only 5 overs left in the day furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 19 Jun 2016, 6:01 pm

299 for 8 stumps such a shame

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm

Ah a shame Davies didn't get a ton but a good knock nonetheless - and 300 basically up which didn't look possible at 130-5. Hopefully we can eek out 320-330 tomorrow morning
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 19 Jun 2016, 8:41 pm

299/8 at stumps. Seems like a 6/10 performance.

Not terrible and better than it was looking some of the time but still ultimately disappointing.

Alec Stewart will be spitting feathers. Harinath and Davies both going beyond 70 but neither getting a century, let alone the big century that Stewie wants so much. ''Fifties don't win you matches'', he said at the recent forum meeting.

To be fair, Baron and Davies each did a hell of a lot better than half of our top 6 who scored 6 runs between them! Add to that, as JimBob pointed out, our best batsman getting out for 20 odd to their worst bowler! However, if we're looking to our batsmen to put us in a winning position (and I am) we really need to make more of the opportunities we get. I think it's now 19 CC fifties this season but only 3 hundreds.

That doesn't mean we can't win from here. However, if we are to get our noses ahead, the onus will now be on our bowlers to achieve that. No doubt who Dave Bracegirdle, from Radio Notts - brilliant name and not a bad commentator although I wasn't able to listen today, sees as bossing the game so far. His review on the Notts website is headed, ''Notts End First Day On Top As Bowlers Share Eight Wickets'' and concludes, ''On a typically batsman-friendly Oval surface Notts will have every reason to be pleased with their efforts''.

Whilst not going as far as Bracegirdle, Davies acknowledges in an interview with Church on the Surrey website that ''we should have done better''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 19 Jun 2016, 8:49 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Curran 47*.  This is exactly what we've been looking for - the ability and attitude to play himself in and build an innings in the first class game.  It didn't really add up to have a No 8 with a first class batting average of about 16. Hopefully, he'll gain a lot of confidence and quickly haul his average to 25++

His batting seems to have taken a step forward this year - notably this innings and the one against Lancs when he opened

Agree with you both. My earlier comments - and I'm sure Alec Stewart's - about the need to convert fifties into centuries and big centuries is aimed at our top order batsmen rather than TC at number 8.

Something else Stewie has voiced concern about is the lack of partnerships. Credit to TC and Davies for going some way today to put that right. Very necessary and valuable although maddening for them to fall in successive balls.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 19 Jun 2016, 8:58 pm

thegooch7 wrote:100 partnership, we might get 300 here

Spot on, Goochie. Disappointed though you didn't come up with a ''Get Carter'' comment! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:05 am

Appears pretty much all the games today will either be washed out or seriously effected by the rain
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 20 Jun 2016, 4:20 pm

3rd batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 20 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm

Batty hits ball into the stands Very Happy

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 20 Jun 2016, 4:42 pm

323 all out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next