The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+6
kingdaveeagle
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
James100
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 3 Empty SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 18 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST NOTTINGHAMSHIRE STARTING ON SUNDAY AT THE KIA OVAL.
Jason Roy is unavailable for selection having joined up with the England squad for the upcoming One Day and T20 Series against Sri Lanka. Sam Curran is unavailable for selection due to his school commitments and Matthew Pillans is unavailable due to illness.
Jade Dernbach,Matthew Dunn,and Mark Footitt keep Pillans company on the table.
On the plus side Dominic Sibley returns from injury and Gary Wilson returns from international duty.
The Surrey squad to play Nottinghamshire in the Specsavers County Championship at the Kia Oval on Sunday 19th June, Monday 20th June, Tuesday 21st June and Wednesday 22nd June:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Aneesh Kapil
Stuart Meaker
Ravi Rampaul
Kumar Sangakkara
Dominic Sibley
Gary Wilson
Do we go with 3 quicks or 4 is the dilemma? if 3 kapil Burke and wilson to miss out if 4 Kapil,Sibley and wilson, for me tough to call this one
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 21 Jun 2016, 6:02 pm

3 overs left

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Jun 2016, 6:06 pm

Excellent partnership between Davies and Curran - the latter building on his good work with the bat in the first innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 21 Jun 2016, 6:25 pm

386 for Notts to win

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 21 Jun 2016, 6:32 pm

Have we declared Jimbo? Apologies switched the radio off before end of play
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 21 Jun 2016, 6:36 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:386 for Notts to win

OK, so who would have bet on that at the start of play today? Not me, for sure. Probably our best all round day this season so far in CC1: knocked over their last 8 wickets for a round hundred in one session for a big first innings lead, then took full advantage with a solid second innings display at four an over (in contrast to the Somerset debacle).

One more good day tomorrow and we'd be up and running - at long last - in 2016. I've managed to engineer a free day tomorrow so intend to be at the Oval with SoS Junior (who'll be spectating with me, not pint pulling this time). Anyone else coming?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:02 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Have we declared Jimbo? Apologies switched the radio off before end of play

Almost certainly not yet.

I've heard Alec Stewart talk about declarations and his strong preference to keep the opposition opening batsmen wondering as to when their time in the middle is going to start. The less time they get to prepare, the better for the bowling side is Stewie's view.

Connected with this, there's the usual 10 minute turnaround if you declare during a session whilst you have to give a minimum of 15 minutes' notice if you are declaring on your overnight score. Stewie commented that he regarded those additional 5 minutes as particularly helpful for an opener to mentally prepare himself. For that reason, he added he's not keen on overnight declarations although accepts that sometimes they're necessary due to the limited time left in a game. For that last reason, I reckon we will declare on our overnight score but not until 10:45 tomorrow morning!

Anyway, an excellent day for Surrey. Great work by the bowlers and Batty in particular. As for the batting, Baron and Davies both coming up with the goods when questions were being asked about their places. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Wilson. Also shows how highly TC is regarded with him being pushed up the order - a shame he got out early in the last over and a touch naive as it cost us the rest of the over but still a useful knock and even better partnership with Davies.

As Goochie might say - we'll have to go some to lose it from here but nothing is impossible! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:49 am

Weather permitting, should be a win for Surrey. hope the rain is kind and stays away for you.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:53 am

LondonTiger wrote:Weather permitting, should be a win for Surrey. hope the rain is kind and stays away for you.

Thanks LT. Unless "should" is an attempt at a jinx Shocked

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Jun 2016, 10:47 am

James100 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Weather permitting, should be a win for Surrey. hope the rain is kind and stays away for you.

Thanks LT. Unless "should" is an attempt at a jinx Shocked

Not at all, I always want the team that has performed better to win, and so far over 3 days Surrey have clearly been better. Not sure what the weather is like down there, but 30 miles north it is peeing it down. Beeb's forecast looks good for you though.

Fingers Crossed

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:00 am

Forecast for West Kent is "mostly dry" meanwhile, it's been drizzling all morning so far.... Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:01 am

Surrey have declared on their overnight score.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:11 am

James100 wrote:Surrey have declared on their overnight score.

Yep, although the BBC didn't find out until just before the start of play. Pretty confident that's down to Alec Stewart making sure our declaration was made with the least possible notice to the Notts openers. Always agree with that approach. With the possibility of a shower today, right as well imo not to bat on.

Now up to the bowlers and fielders. Plus Simon and Son to do any mopping up if the rain does come down - hope you have a great day, guys. Sorry to miss this one due to other things.

Corporal - suggest you now order plenty of barrels for the mess tonight but ensure they're on a sale or return basis! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:26 am

Ravioli strikes 9 to go

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:46 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporal - suggest you now order plenty of barrels for the mess tonight but ensure they're on a sale or return basis! Wink

Laugh Laugh clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:51 am

Norah takes the second!....8 to go

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:52 am

Batty removes Lumb in his first over. clap clap  31 -2

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 22 Jun 2016, 12:34 pm

Rampaul has turned out to be a great signing for you guys Whistle

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 22 Jun 2016, 12:52 pm

Taylor really giving it a dash here, having almost given a catch off a top edge before he'd scored. Up to 49 missing very little that deserves to be hit. Libby, meanwhile is somewhat becalmed (until he walks down the pitch and smacks Zaf for 4

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:55 pm

Just caught up with cricinfo and Simon confirms my thoughts - Libby seems happy for a draw while Taylor wants the win!

Disappointed to still only have 2 wickets but enough time remains - for now, anyway! We'll need 4 down by tea though and even then it won't be easy!

Corporal - double check young Chichester ordered the barrels on ''or return basis''! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:03 pm

Much needed breakthrough. Ansari dismisses Libby - then Wessles first ball. 119 - 4.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:06 pm

Completely off topic - Surrey's Nat Sciver has just scored 80 off 33 balls for England against Pakistan.  clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:07 pm

Bang on - exactly as we wanted!

We might still be asking Son of Simon to pour some pints for us tonight at the mess!

Hope the weather's ok at the Oval. Grey here 25 miles south of the ground with a hint of rain in the air.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:16 pm

Zaf skittling them, 122-5.............stay away rain!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:17 pm

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:24 pm

Just from a glance at cricinfo - has Taylor got a suicide wish or what? Stumped after the fall of 3 quick wickets!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:26 pm

Zafars on fire, Notts batters are terrified
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:49 pm

Ansari has 5 now Yahoo

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:49 pm

9 down, all we need now, are you ready Guildford, is to GET CARTER!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:53 pm

A win!! at last..............6 for Zaf..........well done lads, ...........even you Harold!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:58 pm

GOT GURNEY doesn't have the same ring about it, Goochie, but that'll more than do!

Incredible collapse from 119/2 - not seeming entirely safe but looking fairly secure - to 157 all out. Dread to think what the Notts supporters will make of it! Anyway, not our problem - excellent work today from Ansari and an extremely fine team performance. clap clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:02 pm

I only have one thing to say

#ansariforengland
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:10 pm

Cracking performance from Surrey with the ball in this match.  Really well played.    clap clap Although Ansari ran through the side it sounds like a team effort - including an excellent double from Meaker to expose the tail.

Right, the bar's opening up early..... Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky mug mug mug mug cider cider cider cider Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly  Just remember guys you've got to vote tomorrow! RedWine RedWine RedWine RedWine

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:11 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I only have one thing to say

#ansariforengland

I don't think Foakes is too far behind him. Sounded like a fine stumping off your man and then a very good legside catch off Meaker.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:25 pm

It was indeed a horrible collapse: unless you happen to support Surrey. Zaf bowled beautifully, varying flight, pace and line. His wickets were the product of a variety of clever bowling tactics. The Taylor stumping came from a split second over-balance after having played and missed, not a rush of blood. That was the highlight of a display behind the stumps which showed the difference between a classy wicketkeeper and an outstanding batsman who usually can stop and catch more than he misses. With England rich in so many all rounders, Foakes is surely a w/k who bats luxury we cannot afford to ignore.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:28 pm

PS SoS is enjoying the victory too, but says we can pour out own so long as no-one's paying him. That's my boy

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:31 pm

Yeaahhhhh! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:54 pm

corporal i'm here Very Happy Ale guinness RedWine Whisky Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly cider cider cider Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 22 Jun 2016, 7:20 pm

I was surprised to see this win lift us off the bottom and put us bang level with Notts, who appear to be struggling. Their performance against us, especially with the bat, suggest a difficult rest of the season. If we can build on this result, we could yet make something of this season. I don't think the batting is that short overall and the bowling will look much better if and when Sam Curran, Jade D and Pedestrian (= 'Foot itt') are back in the mix. As things stand, we are 4 points nearer first place than 9th!!

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:12 am

Apologies for the delay in this, been busy (though as I try to save my business from insolvency following the referendum will be only busier for the rest of the summer), but:

Congratulations

Hope the summer treats all you Surrey guys well, and maybe see you in the Autumn.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3