The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+10
Strings Philander
GSC
SimonofSurrey
kingdaveeagle
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
LondonTiger
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
14 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 4 Empty SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:28 am

First topic message reminder :

AND WE'RE BACK Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR OPENING SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST NOTTINGHAMSHIRE AT TRENT BRIDGE STARTING ON SUNDAY.
Mark Footitt and Ravi Rampaul are both named in a Surrey Championship squad for the first time and Jason Roy is included in the squad having returned from the World T20 with England.
Rory Burns has been appointed the official Vice Captain for the 2016 season.
There is no place in the squad for james burke or Dominic sibley while jade dernbach,stuart meaker and son of boris remain on the treatment table.
The Surrey Squad to play Nottinghamshire in the Specsavers County Championship at Trent Bridge on Sunday April 10th, Monday April 11th, Tuesday April 12th and Wednesday April 13th :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Mark Footitt
Arun Harinath
Ravi Rampaul
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
tough to call the two to miss out so i'll go for wilson and dunn
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 4 Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Super innings from a top bloke - delighted for him. We're still in a lot of trouble but it would have been far worse without Harinath's efforts.

Clear that the Baron won't be making way for Zaf next time out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 4 Empty Re: SURREY VS NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:34 pm

FFS foakes furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Need some rain tomorrow lads
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Managed to watch 10 mins live streaming and saw Foakes promptly get out...have to say the pitch looks pretty benign....hard to see anything other than a Notts win tomorrow unless the weather intervenes...or unless Surrey's bowling improves by 200%! I suppose there is a chance if Harinath can find someone to stay in with him but certainly not banking on that...great to see the Notts fielders congratulate Harinath on his innings at end of play! At least should be a couple of positives to take from Surrey's performance today....

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:58 pm

To be honest if you'd given me 297-5 when we started just after lunch, on a cold grey day at Trent Bridge I'd have taken it...

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:30 pm

With Sanga being a Sri Lankan selector, reckon he might get a call up if he keeps up this form...halting my #harinathforengland campaign
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:37 pm

I agree with the general mood. Fine effort today with the Baron excelling. However, our showings on days one and two were so below par that we still face a likely defeat tomorrow.

The Curran brothers both have batting ability but it's surely unreasonable to expect them to play to their full potential and help rescue the situation. Having got in, we really needed at least one of Roy and Foakes to partner Harinath longer and properly push on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:24 pm

Congratulations to the Baron on an excellent century. Carrying his bat in gloomy conditions, following on at Trent Bridge and scoring 114 runs at a decent rate is an fantastic contribution.

Another 100 would give a target at least but with Notts depth should be chased down. If we could push the lead beyond 200 and take some time out the game then things could get more nervy for Read and co.

In reality a Notts win is now clear favourite, weather depending.

Here's hoping for a captains knock from Norah adding a quickfire century with a fifty apiece from the Curran boys! thumbsup Tumbleweed

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:28 pm

We need Harinath to go onto get 150+ and we can get 20/30's from the Currans and Batty to push the lead up towards 200, and hope that along with the weather can see us home...

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Earlier on I was going to comment that Roy's first class batting average is still only 37 - and then he promptly gets out for 37. Rolling Eyes Tbf for quite a while his average languished around 30 - which is way below where it should be - and he has been gradually nudging it up towards 40.  

Well done to the Baron Harinath for an excellent innings.  clap clap  

Looks unlikely the weather will save Surrey tomorrw - although if we do stage a strong rearguard action batting until sometime after lunch there's at least a possibility of showers later in the day.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:15 pm

You all clearly have more faith in our batting than I do.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:43 pm

GSC wrote:You all clearly have more faith in our batting than I do.

Lol! I guess it's more that by nature most Surrey supporters tend to fear the worst...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 am

Morning all.

Cant speak for Notts, but its a beautiful day in Leics/Derbys this am. Looks fine at TB from some pics I've seen this morning.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:10 am

GSC wrote:Morning all.

Cant speak for Notts, but its a beautiful day in Leics/Derbys this am. Looks fine at TB from some pics I've seen this morning.

For older posters only - are there any George Davis supporters in the Nottingham area? Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
GSC wrote:You all clearly have more faith in our batting than I do.

Lol! I guess it's more that by nature most Surrey supporters tend to fear the worst...

Very true (I don't see much being celebrated in the officers' mess tonight, Corporal!) but experience has also shown Read to be ultra dependable when up against Surrey.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:04 am

7 overs to the new ball this morning, be lovely if we could nip one out before it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:07 am

And we are off.

Surrey swiftly push past the 300 hundred mark on this 4th morning - 310/5

5 overs to go until the new ball. C'mon fellas, last that first little challenge out at least!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:25 am

guildfordbat wrote:
For older posters only - are there any George Davis supporters in the Nottingham area? Wink

That's a bit drastic! Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:34 am

50 partnership between Baron Harinath and Sam Curran. clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:43 am

Pitt the younger still goes for 28 - lbw b Ball

Sounds like it was absolutely plum. 341 - 6, 120 runs ahead.

A 4th wicket for Ball as well. A bowler sniffing for his fivefer is exactly what Surrey don't need just now!!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:47 am

As a side note I hadn't realised that Jake Ball is the nephew of Bruce French.

What a fantastic wicket keeper French was! One of the few players to challenge Jack Russell on wicket keeping merit.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:47 am

Sam Curran falls LBW - 341-6. Useful contribution of 28 but not really enough to make much difference to the course of the game. Surrey 122 ahead with a minimum of 84 overs remaining.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:54 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Sam Curran falls LBW - 341-6.  Useful contribution of 28 but not really enough to make much difference to the course of the game.  Surrey 122 ahead with a minimum of 84 overs remaining.    

Morning Corporal and all - agree with you about Sam's knock. Useful but for it to have been really valuable, it would have needed to have been scored over and used up a whole session.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:01 am

I think you are far too pessimistic.

Its already awkward on a day 4 pitch.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:09 am

GSC wrote:I think you are far too pessimistic.

Its already awkward on a day 4 pitch.

I'm with GSC here, if we can get upto around a lead of 200 we have a chance
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 am

Ah Harinath going might be the end of any lead of 200 talk...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 am

Baron gone start the car

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:12 am

354 - 7 and Baron Harinath falls for 137 made from 270 balls.  An excellent rearguard effort. clap clap clap

But lead is still a slender looking 133.  With so many overs still to go (79) there's probably a reasonable case for Curran and Batty looking to attack if they get a chance.  Even another 40 / 50 runs would give us a very outside chance....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:14 am

A great knock by Baron, especially in the circumstances. Hopefully he kicks on and shows some consistency this summer. In seasons gone by he has made a few scores in a row then dropped off rapidly before being dropped. Hope he sticks around at the top this season.

Lead by 138 currently but batting is sounding increasingly tricky.

If we can somehow hang around until lunch and scratch the total up to 400 hundred then at least we'd have something to defend.

The bell is tolling though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:18 am

Batty goes - wickets tumbling fast.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:19 am

Batty gone now as well. Lbw to Ball who gets his fivefer, deserved according to the commentary of Dave Bracegirdle (like him and his name!).

Too much time left in the day and not enough runs ahead as Ravioli has to put down his third breakfast of the morning and head to the crease.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:20 am

Gonna need to produce something special with the ball to justify your selection Mr batty...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:25 am

Ball took a bit of hammer from Harinath and Sanga, hung in there though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:33 am

Tom Curran goes. Can't see Rampaul and Footitt detaining things for very long. Probably par length for this partnership would be about six balls.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:34 am

Tom Curran goes, LBW to Gurney. The appeal didn't sound as vociferous as others and the commentators instinct was not out but it's been given.

366 - 9

145 ahead with one wicket left. With their batting line-up it shouldn't be difficult for Notts but at the same time wouldn't be a collapse the sort of which won't be seen many times over the summer in both divisions.

That's about the most optimistic thing I can come up with though!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:35 am

Pathetic from the tail

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:43 am

Well the last pair have eeked it past 150. Could yet be valuable runs
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:46 am

Hmmm needed the tail to wag really, and they haven't...

Going to take a really special performance from someone
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:49 am

Rampaul hits Hutton for six Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:52 am

4 byes... Sounds like a horrible one for Read as it swung after passing the wicket.

A valuable 21 runs added so far by the last pair.

387/9, 166 runs ahead. The closer these two get to lunch the more frustrated the Notts top order will start feeling. This is the sort of belated wagging that openers really hate!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 am

169 to win.

Could be dicey if a few go early.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 pm

But if Surrey can score 389 on a day 3/4 pitch, with the last wicket going for 20, it probably isnt a minefield after we scored over 400 after being put in.

But chasing a smallish total on day 4 can make the mind do funny things.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Overall a good second innings effort. Making 389 when under pressure at Trent Bridge in the second inning is good going. Frustratingly another 3 batsmen getting past 20 but not reaching 40 means that 9 such starts were wasted across the two innings. The Surrey batsmen will need to apply themselves more vigilantly if we are too make totals in this division.

Time for the bowlers to make amends for a pretty embarrassing day 1 showing.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Weather should be fine to the close, light shouldn't be an issue today, so a result either way I suspect.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 pm

All out now. Carlos - never likely imo that the last pair were going to survive to lunch as an extra half hour would have been added.

169 for Notts to win. Great effort by the Baron for our bowlers to have something to bowl at but not enough, again imo. Our very poor performances on days 1 and 2, especially the first two sessions of day 1, always left us too far off a par position.

I also felt last night that there was one session too many left in the game for us to get the draw. We really needed Roy and/or Foakes to stick with Harinath.

I realise I'm talking as if it's all over - very much hope I'm wrong but can't see anything other than defeat - and that's before the pesky Read gets going!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Given the Notts batting line-up is stocked with right handers I'd be tempted to open with Footitt and Sam Curran to try to get some rough outside their off stump.

If the seamers are loose again then Norah will need to bowl a few for us to have any chance.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:09 pm

guildford - Ah yes I forgot the extra half hour when then end of the innings is likely. Doh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Rampaul hits Hutton for six Very Happy

Perhaps Ravioli had just been told and was venting his annoyance about the possibility of lunch being put back half an hour! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Notts strolling to victory @ 5 an over.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Notts 49/0 off 10. Both Tom Curran and Footitt going at around 5 off their 5 overs. Just getting that from cricinfo, seems pretty poor - again!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next