The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can Federer beat Nadal at the French Open?

+20
gallery play
erictheblueuk
kemet
yloponom68
noleisthebest
gboycottnut
ebar86
Jarvik
Tenez
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
bogbrush
Tropicalfruiter
Simple_Analyst
Wooffie
legendkillar
wow
yummymummy
sonic_boom10
The genius of PBF
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How can Federer beat Nadal at the French Open? - Page 2 Empty How can Federer beat Nadal at the French Open?

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Apart from this year Roger has been the No.2 player on clay in the past 5 to 6 years , so I have identified the key areas Roger could address to take his success to a new level and actually beat his nemesis at the French Open.

Mentality:

Roger is tough. However, to beat Rafael Nadal he needs to be working on a couple of specifics that make him enthusiastic about the task. He needs to totally believe that these alterations will make the difference.

Shots:

The key aspects of Rogers arsenal of firepower are his serve and forehand. The area that needs polishing is his net play (especially the forehand volley and movement at the net) to supplement the big serve and forehand. To beat Nadal on clay he has to come forward and dig up a few really tough volleys and not miss chances to bury points. If he can do this it takes a bit of pressure off his forehand especially when he is in an attacking position, as he will not overplay if he is confident with his volleys.

Physical:

Roger is a natural mover but he has to put in the miles and strength training so he is sure he can match Rafa on clay for the necessary time it will take to beat him.

Footwork:

If Roger is moving well out to wide forehands and rarely having to resort to a squash/sliced forehand, then I know he is both in shape and has done the practice to feel comfortable out wide. At the net is where the main work needs to be done so the leg work supports his great hand skills so his volleys have a bit of extra zip and stability.

Strategy:

I think Roger has to commit to a strategy to beat Rafa and play every match working on improving this. It is tough to just turn it on in a final. The areas that are key are:

Serve and volley one point a game or at a minimum every other service game.

Approach deep down the middle to Rafa’s backhand to negate the angle (early and fast enough so he cannot run round and play the forehand).

Occasionally approach to the backhand and close off the cross-court pass with such intent and aggression that he chops off anything that Rafa hits cross-court. This will become a game of chess as to when Roger covers only the cross and when not, with the middle approach also part of this mix.

Use his down the line backhand to change the pattern of play. When he does go up the line he shouldnt necessarily go for winners, but should use it to change the cross court pattern of play that is Rafas forehand to Rogers backhand that Nadal likes.

What do you think?

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

How can Federer beat Nadal at the French Open? - Page 2 Empty Re: How can Federer beat Nadal at the French Open?

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:17 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:Seems all these players had Nadal in trouble yet they will be the ones watching from today.

Novak's been kicking his ass all year and he will also be "watching".
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

How can Federer beat Nadal at the French Open? - Page 2 Empty Re: How can Federer beat Nadal at the French Open?

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:21 pm

He hasn´t been kicking his ass over five sets though... or have you not noticed.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

Agree, Nadal should have won in Miami too.

Fed needs to rattle Nadal early and quickly and hope Rafa doesnt get back into the match. He also needs to hope for dampness from rain to keep the balls lower.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

Lydian I disagree Nadal lost miami because he got outplayed that was the closest match they had all year but the better man still won. It could have gone either way but Djokovic played better that day.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 05 Jun 2011, 2:06 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:He hasn´t been kicking his ass over five sets though... or have you not noticed.

How could he ? They haven't played each other over five sets since USO 2010..."or have you not noticed."
Doh
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm

Well he could not, evemtually Rafa proved too much for Fed. Although Fed did have his chances and played really well.

It was a mistake on behalf of fed to take Djoko out.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Talatonian Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:27 pm

Not that way....

Talatonian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:54 pm

Well obviously not. Congratulations Rafa How can Federer beat Nadal at the French Open? - Page 2 479796

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:47 am

The one question is how different might things have been had Fed taken the 1st set, as he so easily could have done?

You have to give Nadal a lot of credit - his game plan on clay may not be the most complicated, but almost everything he does he executes extremely well and just makes it so difficult for his opponent to beat him. Roger had some success with the drop shot and with coming to the net, but it's so difficult to work the opportunity to play these shots against Rafa on clay.

For spells in the match Roger was the better player (first half of the first set, second half of the third set), but he couldn't sustain the level, while Rafa only had a few off games (3rd set) and then re-discovered the solidity that makes him almost unbeatable on clay.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

Dummy I think for the most part, unless Rafa is having a really OFF day, he has the ability to make changes to his game when things arn´t going the way he plans. Apart from which I think he has come to know Roger´s game almost as well as his own. He is a hard man to break on clay because he seems to battle best when he has his back against the wall. He was a very tired man out there yesterday but so focussed I think he forgot he was.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

Haddie,

Agree on your last comment. I think a defining moment for Nadal when he's played Federer in past games was after the 4th set in Aus 2009. After the Verdasco marathon and seeing that the final was going to go to a 5th. Virtually any player would be disheartened at having to get through another set to claim a title after all that came before it - But the focus Nadal had at the start of the 5th seem to suggest, none of that was in his mind, just the tennis. Tennis is a game of punches in many ways and i see that as an equivalent of taking one in he face and hardly blinking. I don't know how you counter that

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

Tom
Why I am the fan of Rafa that I am is not just because he is one of the most exciting players I have ever watched... and believe me I have been watching since the days of Laver.. it is his indominatable will to win, his focus, determination, and to play every point like its match point.
He has incredible mental strength and I admire that in anyone, sportsman or not. My admiration has no bounds and I believe he would not be the player he is without that and which his oponents are battling everytime they walk on court with him. On top of which he is a lovely human being. Im a Rafa fan but more to the point a fan of tennis

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2