Ulster 2016/2017

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Notch on Tue 24 May 2016, 6:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

The build up to Ulsters gloriously successful 2016/2017 campaign starts here!

Allow summer optimism to get the better of you or discuss why we are in crisis right here on this thread- before weary resignation over the quality of forwards we have sinks in once again.


Last edited by Notch on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down


Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:59 am

On another matter I posted some disappointment re Treadwell and reading back on it I think I worded it badly.

It is not that the club think he has not got the capability it is just that when he arrived he seemed to be a year behind where they expected him to be.
He showed some signs of that on Saturday and hopefully he will make a good contribution next year.
Look how much progress Herbst, Reidy and Browne have made in their time here

geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by The Great Aukster on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:15 am

Don Alfonso wrote:Are Ulster actively looking for Southern nines? Well, we have Angus Lloyd and Dave Shanahan in the squad at the moment. So I'd say yes. We have also had Ian Porter (twice), Michael Heaney and, I think, Blane Whatsisname kicking about. Not one if that five is better than Paul Marshall (currently). I think we had Cillian Willis behind Boss, but it may have been Pienaar too

Geoff is right - backrowers from Leinster would rather be part of Leinster seconds than Ulster firsts. Their frustrated backs have no problem filling the Connacht and Munster backlines. But we don't need backs.

Who was the last Southern player already on a professional contract who came North? There seems to be much more willingness to move around the three Southern provinces.

You mentioned him! - Cillian Willis from Leinster. The only others I can think of were Ronan McCormack from Connacht and Eric Miller from Leinster?

The Great Aukster

Posts : 3714
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Maine man on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:26 am

What's the situation with contracts for the Leinster back rows? I thought Murphy, Ryan and Conan were up this season. I'd take any one of them. Also what about Irish qualified players in France and England. It still annoys me that Hart joined Racing Metro last summer.

Maine man

Posts : 54
Join date : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:34 am

Maine man wrote:What's the situation with contracts for the Leinster back rows? I thought Murphy, Ryan and Conan were up this season. I'd take any one of them. Also what about Irish qualified players in France and England. It still annoys me that Hart joined Racing Metro last summer.

Racing bought out the last year of his contract, not sure the IRFU would see that as a good business move.

While he is IQ he is also French qualified, his mother is French so he may see himself as more French and want to play for them. Goal kicking 9s go down quite well there

marty2086

Posts : 5366
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Cyril on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:34 am

geoff999rugby wrote:
Cyril wrote:I'd be interested to hear how happy Ulster, the players and the province in general feel about geoff's 'News of the World' teasers about sensitive issues around the squad.

Do they know about his loose mouth?

I certainly wouldn't be happy with someone saying this:

"Bad - There could be some Poopie to hit the fan over something which I just cant say at the moment"

geoff, I know you enjoy your 'I'm close to Ulster and i love to give you the inside gossip' but you've stepped over the line again.

I've emailed Ulster rugby. I await their reply.

Prat - you could have read the Sunday Times which has reported on a number of problems at Ulster in recent weeks.
It was only after my friend told me of the articles that I posted something here and made enquires
I have since heard something that expands on one of issues which I have yet to get confirmed - it is not me that put issues in the public domain it was the Sunday Times.

The Pienaer row has not been made public but the club have no problem with that being made aware to a wider audience

Have you written to Ulster concerning the reporting in the Sunday Times - it is them that have put many of the issues into the public domain not me.

I only post here something that is in the public domain or something that I feel confident the club would not object to.
For example I know the team a day before it is announced but the club do not want that leaked out so I don't

The club will laugh at your Email and ignore it

One thing I will say though - do not assume geoff is my real name - it is just a label just like most on here

Fair enough OK

Cyril

Posts : 5237
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Pete330v2 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:38 am

"Ruan's main interest is not messing up his citizenship application... UR have told IRFU they intend to offer another contract.. brad pitt is hitting fan.."

Any substance to this anyone? Tis from t'other forum. They are also saying on there that a press conference has been called for Wednesday.

Pete330v2

Posts : 2430
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:53 am

If Ulster go against the IRFU would they then take action regarding the likes of Central Contracts?

Would they go so far as only offering them if players moved provinces?

Geoff is the hope that if Pienaar stays he will be on the coaching team too or is that the retirement plans? As Leinster were able to resign Nacewa as a player/coach

marty2086

Posts : 5366
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by humphstheman on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:32 am

Geoff,

any links to those Sunday Times articles?

Thanks

humphstheman

Posts : 40
Join date : 2011-11-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:11 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:Do you think the Russians might be involved somehow?

"It's Russia's fault" The go to excuse for Doak and Clarke. I like that Smile

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:42 pm

Sadly no links to the articles

The Irish Sunday Times is strickly subscription only

Pete Ruan is definitely seeking British citizenship and it is his intention to live here permanently if possible

Marty the original plan was Pienaer plays for 2 more years and then he wanted to move into coaching here.
That now could be changed but then you come up against the IRFU desire to see Irish coaches in key positions.
So not only are they forcing Pienaer out as a player but also as a coach and we get Doak instead. censored


geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Don Alfonso on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:53 pm

Word on another forum is that a new coach (defence?) will be announced on Wednesday and that Windsor's off.

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2035
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 40
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:10 pm

Don't know but neither would surprise me

Windsor has been so obviously out of his depth it has been a bit embarrassing


geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:26 pm

I don't believe there is any meeting/conference scheduled for Wednesday but, if there is, I doubt very much it's to tell the world that Windor's leaving.

Rumour's are growing. As above; we have allegedly signed a new defense coach last Friday, which will be confirmed Wednesday. Some are suggesting the possibility that the new coach could be Pienaar, with a view to taking over from Doak at the end of season. Maybe even as player coach?

All very interesting o0

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:27 pm

Munchkin wrote:I don't believe there is any meeting/conference scheduled for Wednesday but, if there is, I doubt very much it's to tell the world that Windor's leaving.

Rumour's are growing. As above; we have allegedly signed a new defense coach last Friday, which will be confirmed Wednesday. Some are suggesting the possibility that the new coach could be Pienaar, with a view to taking over from Doak at the end of season. Maybe even as player coach?

All very interesting o0

And Muller to replace Clarke? Fingers Crossed

marty2086

Posts : 5366
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:28 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:I don't believe there is any meeting/conference scheduled for Wednesday but, if there is, I doubt very much it's to tell the world that Windor's leaving.

Rumour's are growing. As above; we have allegedly signed a new defense coach last Friday, which will be confirmed Wednesday. Some are suggesting the possibility that the new coach could be Pienaar, with a view to taking over from Doak at the end of season. Maybe even as player coach?

All very interesting o0

And Muller to replace Clarke? Fingers Crossed

Now that would be a great Christmas present

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by rodders on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:49 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Rumour's are growing. As above; we have allegedly signed a new defense coach last Friday, which will be confirmed Wednesday. Some are suggesting the possibility that the new coach could be Pienaar, with a view to taking over from Doak at the end of season. Maybe even as player coach?

Sure Pienaar can't tackle.... but then neither could ROG or Shaun Edwards and they did all right.... Smile

rodders

Posts : 23506
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 3:23 pm

rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Rumour's are growing. As above; we have allegedly signed a new defense coach last Friday, which will be confirmed Wednesday. Some are suggesting the possibility that the new coach could be Pienaar, with a view to taking over from Doak at the end of season. Maybe even as player coach?

Sure Pienaar can't tackle.... but then neither could ROG or Shaun Edwards and they did all right.... Smile

Pienaar's tackling has improved over the last few months. Maybe preparing himself for his new role. Maybe his mini rant at Bowe is a sign of things to come? Smile

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Don Alfonso on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 3:29 pm

There is a press conference on Wednesday. I can confirm that.

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2035
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 40
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 3:42 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:There is a press conference on Wednesday. I can confirm that.

oooohhhh ..... it has to be a good news conference then.

Will it be news on Pienaar? A new defense coach? Both? Who knows?

geoff?

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:05 pm

As I say I don't know.

New defensive coach seems the most likely

Whatever it is I hope it is good news.
Time to get back on the blower and ask around

geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by carpet baboon on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:05 pm

Nah we are getting a world record sponsorship deal from Donald trump. But we have to change our name to "the Mighty Trump Disciples" and a load of Russian players for next season

carpet baboon

Posts : 1077
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:05 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:There is a press conference on Wednesday. I can confirm that.

I've emailed Ulster rugby. I await their reply.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9918
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:10 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:As I say I don't know.

New defensive coach seems the most likely

Whatever it is I hope it is good news.
Time to get back on the blower and ask around

I agree, it's most likely a new defense coach.

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by SecretFly on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:13 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:There is a press conference on Wednesday. I can confirm that.

oooohhhh ..... it has to be a good news conference then.

Will it be news on Pienaar? A new defense coach? Both? Who knows?

geoff?

Didn't Geoff hint that there's a big bit of bad news coming down the line with any good news? Maybe the bad bit has evaporated by now.

SecretFly

Posts : 24141
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:17 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:There is a press conference on Wednesday. I can confirm that.

oooohhhh ..... it has to be a good news conference then.

Will it be news on Pienaar? A new defense coach? Both? Who knows?

geoff?

Didn't Geoff hint that there's a big bit of bad news coming down the line with any good news?   Maybe the bad bit has evaporated by now.

I read it as more explosive than bad, although maybe bad for one side. If Ulster sign Pienaar, and against the dictate of IRFU, that would be great news for supporters, but bad for Ulster/IRFU relations.

I'm thinking it's unlikely to be bad news coming out a few days before a massive game v Clermont. Can only hope I'm right.

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:19 pm

Is there not normally a midweek press conference before games?

marty2086

Posts : 5366
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by rodders on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:19 pm

Munchkin wrote:
I agree, it's most likely a new defense coach.

Ulster are leaving the IRFU and moving to Natal, where'll they'll play their home games from 2018 onwards in Pienaar's back garden.

rodders

Posts : 23506
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:19 pm

You may or may not hear the bad news, at the moment it is no more than idle chatter, albeit from a usually reliable source.

Then again they may well be developments I've not heard about

Logan, Cunningham and Kiss don't tell me everything Laugh

Come to think about it - those three tell me nothing Rolling Eyes



geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:20 pm

rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
I agree, it's most likely a new defense coach.

Ulster are leaving the IRFU and moving to Natal, where'll they'll play their home games from 2018 onwards in Pienaar's back garden.

Could do worse I have a cousin in South Africa I could visit from September to May

Bit of a trip from Cape Town for home matches though !

geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:21 pm

rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
I agree, it's most likely a new defense coach.

Ulster are leaving the IRFU and moving to Natal, where'll they'll play their home games from 2018 onwards in Pienaar's back garden.

Will the games still be Friday 7:35? Otherwise I will have to move mad

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:21 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:You may or may not hear the bad news, at the moment it is no more than idle chatter, albeit from a usually reliable source.

Then again they may well be developments I've not heard about

Logan, Cunningham and Kiss don't tell me everything Laugh

Come to think about it - those three tell me nothing Rolling Eyes


How about we have a whip round and put it in their xmas cards and see if they are more talkative with you then Geoff?

marty2086

Posts : 5366
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:22 pm

marty2086 wrote:Is there not normally a midweek press conference before games?

No which does suggest some substantial news - Windsor leaving doesn't quite cut it !

geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by SecretFly on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:25 pm

marty2086 wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:You may or may not hear the bad news, at the moment it is no more than idle chatter, albeit from a usually reliable source.

Then again they may well be developments I've not heard about

Logan, Cunningham and Kiss don't tell me everything Laugh

Come to think about it - those three tell me nothing Rolling Eyes


How about we have a whip round and put it in their xmas cards and see if they are more talkative with you then Geoff?

Geoff is the Gerry Thornley of Ulster Rugby. But he holds them damn cards closer to his chest. If Thornley had bad news, or any news, he'd simply tell it in case he was jumped to the scoop.

SecretFly

Posts : 24141
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:27 pm

The press in Northern Ireland are useless - there is not one journalist in Northern Ireland who is in the know and is prepared to saying anything that offends the club.

That scenario doesn't apply to Thornley as he is not even in the know - probably trawl around here , twitter etc to make up stories from.

geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by rodders on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:28 pm

Munchkin wrote:
rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
I agree, it's most likely a new defense coach.

Ulster are leaving the IRFU and moving to Natal, where'll they'll play their home games from 2018 onwards in Pienaar's back garden.

Will the games still be Friday 7:35? Otherwise I will have to move mad

Of course but unfortunately BBCNI won't be able to afford to send Stephen Watson and Maurice field to cover home games anymore Crying or Very sad ...

rodders

Posts : 23506
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:44 pm

rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
I agree, it's most likely a new defense coach.

Ulster are leaving the IRFU and moving to Natal, where'll they'll play their home games from 2018 onwards in Pienaar's back garden.

Will the games still be Friday 7:35? Otherwise I will have to move mad

Of course but unfortunately BBCNI won't be able to afford to send Stephen Watson and Maurice field to cover home games anymore Crying or Very sad ...

If Rorys going to the games Stephen will be there

marty2086

Posts : 5366
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by neilthom7 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 5:11 pm

rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
I agree, it's most likely a new defense coach.

Ulster are leaving the IRFU and moving to Natal, where'll they'll play their home games from 2018 onwards in Pienaar's back garden.

Least the weather will be better, Are translink putting on a train lol

neilthom7

Posts : 2046
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by neilthom7 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 5:14 pm

Maybe we could do a moving base every year, this year Natal next year we have them in Jared Payne's or Piatau's back yard, we are kind of a circus anyways maybe better take it on the road

neilthom7

Posts : 2046
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by SecretFly on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:The press in Northern Ireland are useless - there is not one journalist in Northern Ireland who is in the know and is prepared to saying anything that offends the club.

That scenario doesn't apply to Thornley as he is not even in the know - probably trawl around here , twitter etc to make up stories from.

Sorry for the Thornley comparison there, Geoff - even below the belt for me Cool

But nope, Thornley definitely had a well placed deep throat within the IRFU/Senior Team coaches or Players at one time.  After the Joe purges and some retirements, maybe less so now Whistle

SecretFly

Posts : 24141
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 5:36 pm

rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
rodders wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
I agree, it's most likely a new defense coach.

Ulster are leaving the IRFU and moving to Natal, where'll they'll play their home games from 2018 onwards in Pienaar's back garden.

Will the games still be Friday 7:35? Otherwise I will have to move mad

Of course but unfortunately BBCNI won't be able to afford to send Stephen Watson and Maurice field to cover home games anymore Crying or Very sad ...

As long as Gusher is there, all is well. Ulster just wouldn't be the same without him.

Munchkin

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:32 pm

Something to depress you - we may well contest Pienaer going but lets be honest I cant see us winning this battle I suspect we will cave in.

Also a Frenchmen has posted elsewhere that Pienaer told him he is going to Montpelier
I cant believe Pienaer would tell a total stranger that so take with a kilo of salt.
However a thought has occurred to me what if his residency application has already been successful - 2 years in France would be ok he would just come back afterwards. Sorry



-------

http://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=64747

geoff999rugby

Posts : 1952
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:52 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum