The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+38
4putt
ralphjohn69
owen10ozzy
Fernando
Diggers
pedro
Eyetoldyouso
Roller_Coaster
NedB-H
LadyPutt
Faldono1fan
monty junior
kouchi
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
navyblueshorts
John Cregan
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
AlciG
beninho
sirbenson
raycastleunited
MontysMerkin
JAS
Plunky
Shotrock
wiretapper
GPB
robopz
Seve76
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Davie
TRUSSMAN66
Mad for Chelsea
McLaren
kwinigolfer
42 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 13 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

There . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 13 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Sep 2018, 2:48 am

By sending out Donald (just as important a contributor at Medinah as IJP), Poults, Rory, Rose, Lawrie at the top of the order:
Win, Win, Win, Win, Win.
Pretty much as predicted on here.
Loved it then.
Loved it now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 13 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by GPB Tue 18 Sep 2018, 1:58 pm

Leading from the Front, when you are behind 10-6.

Ok, ...gotcha, ....whatever.....

I would never claim Ben Crenshaw and the 99 Ryder Cup team was leading from the front.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Sep 2018, 5:07 pm

Another way of putting it, then GPB, would be JMO putting out proven leaders with balls out early against, serendipitously, the mostly soft-center of DLIII's team.

Another US Ryder Cup site has been chosen and, actuarily at least, I don't much fancy my chances of being around to see the day:
2020: Whistling Straits
2024: Bethpage
2028: Hazeltine
2032: Olympic
2036: Congressional

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:17 pm

wrong thread, moved to the tournament thread.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 21 Sep 2018, 5:00 pm

I was just looking at the minimum (ET sanctioned) tournament requirements for what Mac calls double dippers playing on the ET (it is 4) and found that to be eligible for any future Captaincy or Vice Captaincy, you cannot decline membership of the ET in any year from now on.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:35 am

Four of the USA Ryder cup team filled the last five places in the Tour Championship.

Running out of steam maybe?

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:59 am

4putt wrote:Four of the USA Ryder cup team filled the last five places in the Tour Championship.

Running out of steam maybe?

Wouldn't read anything into that. You could say the same for 9C if you claim he's "peaked too early". It's all irrelevant.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:40 am

One thing is for sure though. Now the RC will be all about Tiger, like it used to. So 1-0 for Europe.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 24 Sep 2018, 12:43 pm

So what is the fall out from the TC / Fedex / Portugal and how will it impact the RC? It's anyone's guess, but here are mine:

Europe:
- Rory: he will be hurting, I expect him to bounce back strongly to show everyone he can handle the pressure of a duel.
- Justin: Massive confidence boost, he'll be floating in the clouds and I expect him to play serene impeccable golf this week.
- Sergio... just what the doctor ordered. A closing 65 showing he might be able to contribute more than just team spirit.
- Olesen: 4 rounds in the 60's for Thunderbear. Solid.
- Fleetwood: Another solid performance, on debut he could be this year's star rookie.
- Rahmbo: one of the players who went backwards on Sunday. According to the commentary team they were all intimidated by the Tiger aura... somehow doubt it, he'll be fine.
- Casey: see Rahm.
- Molinari: under the radar as usual. I'm hoping that Francesco has more confidence and presence now he is a major champion, because he has a dreadful RC record. Topped the qualification rankings but questions remain.

USA:
- Tiger: Huge confidence boost. Confirmation he is still a winner. But I think he might be fatigued by his exertions. If he plays once a day he will be dangerous, if he plays twice we will see some weariness and errors.
- De Chambeau: ran out of steam last week. Looks like he peaked a few weeks ago and heads to Paris with his form on a downward trajectory. Tantrums / on course frustrations make him look weak.
- Dustin: always there or thereabouts. Always dangerous. Will be a big threat.
- Webb: I thought he was a weak link, but seems to have come into form at the right time.
- Bubba: poor finish, but he had nothing to play for on Sunday. Not exactly coming into the tournament on fire.
- Big Phil: oh dear.
- Billy Ho: what is the final captain's pick for again?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 24 Sep 2018, 2:39 pm

- Justin: Massive confidence boost, he'll be floating in the clouds and I expect him to play serene impeccable golf this week.

Massive Confidence Boost ?

Massive?

He limped home with a final round 73 Two weeks earlier, Failed to convert a 54 hole lead at the BMW Championship.

FTR: admittedly yes he did birdie the 2nd easiest hole on the course to win a pot full of money.

But I don't think he got a MASSIVE confidence boost

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 24 Sep 2018, 2:42 pm

GPB

I was wondering, if Rose hadn't faltered over the stretch a week back would he have lost his number one spot so quickly?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 24 Sep 2018, 2:47 pm

ANother thing, does anyone know why Stenson got a pick? He isn't in the top 15 of the European or World points lists.

I know he had an injury at one point this season but as we know form the underwhelming response on here to Tigers comeback swing its not exactly an arduous task to return from injury. So where was Stensons PGA tour win?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 24 Sep 2018, 3:07 pm

Stenson: IMO: Lifetime achievement Pick! Especially with 5 rookies on the Euro Team. Fitzpatrick looked a little overwhelmed in 2016, and other viable candidates were all rookies (Pepperell, Wallace). Pieters has been out of form most of the year.

I haven't done the Math, but I think Rose will reclaim the #1 ranking in a couple weeks due to different attrition rates (Backdoor). DJ is losing points at a faster clip than Rose is. I think Rose will probably be #1 when he plays the British Masters in a couple of weeks. Westwood perfected the back door #1 back in 2010.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 24 Sep 2018, 3:15 pm

GPB wrote:

Massive?

He limped home with a final round 73    Two weeks earlier, Failed to convert a 54 hole lead at the BMW Championship.

FTR: admittedly yes he did birdie the 2nd easiest hole on the course to win a pot full of money.

However you do it, winning $10m and the Fedex cup is a massive confidence boost. Even if he played dreadfully, he still beat the world's elite.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 24 Sep 2018, 3:24 pm

GPB wrote:Stenson:  IMO:  Lifetime achievement Pick!  Especially with 5 rookies on the Euro Team.  Fitzpatrick looked a little overwhelmed in 2016, and other viable candidates were all rookies (Pepperell, Wallace).  Pieters has been out of form most of the year.

Agreed. Garcia too.

GPB wrote:
I haven't done the Math, but I think Rose will reclaim the #1 ranking in a couple weeks due to different attrition rates  (Backdoor).  DJ is losing points at a faster clip than Rose is.  I think Rose will probably be #1 when he plays the British Masters in a couple of weeks.  Westwood perfected the back door #1 back in 2010.

Hmmnn. Not sure you can compare Rose and Westwood in this respect. One of them has won a major and a couple of WGC's.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Sep 2018, 5:58 pm

GPB wrote:

Massive?

He limped home with a final round 73    Two weeks earlier, Failed to convert a 54 hole lead at the BMW Championship.

Nah, getting to #1 and the being most consistent player on the PGA will just destroy his confidence won't it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:02 pm

McLaren wrote:ANother thing, does anyone know why Stenson got a pick? He isn't in the top 15 of the European or World points lists.

I know he had an injury at one point this season but as we know form the underwhelming response on here to Tigers comeback swing its not exactly an arduous task to return from injury. So where was Stensons PGA tour win?

Are you deliberately dense Mac? It's a good job a captain has a better understanding of golf than you do. You pick the players who you think will be best for the team. Who would you suggest that he pick instead? Fitzpatrick? The player who was like a rabbit in the headlights last time?

Stenson has the experience and the partnership with Rose especially to make a good contribution. I couldn't say the same for Fitzpatrick.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:25 pm

I have no problem with Stenson as a pick, but I think it’s short sighted to write off a great young player just because he has had one bad RC when most of the rest of the side were also utter gash. He’s surely toughened up by playing PGA golf and has shown he’s a winner (albeit too late for selection).
All things considered, if he carries on progressing (or even stays at his current level) and the likes of Poulter, Garcia and Stenson decline as is likely, he should be a cert in 2 years time.
Considering Europe seems to be invincible at home playing a guy like Fitz (or Wallace) could have been a good idea.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:34 pm

Can't imagine Fitzpatrick was remotely close to a "pick".
Bjorn would have been much more likely to choose a golfer who seemed to relish the competition, when he was one of only a couple who weren't "utter gash", like Pieters or Rafa. (Agree that Wallace might have been ahead of Fitz in the pecking order.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:44 pm

Diggers wrote:I have no problem with Stenson as a pick, but I think it’s short sighted to write off a great young player just because he has had one bad RC when most of the rest of the side were also utter gash. He’s surely toughened up by playing PGA golf and has shown he’s a winner (albeit too late for selection).
All things considered, if he carries on progressing (or even stays at his current level) and the likes of Poulter, Garcia and Stenson decline as is likely, he should be a cert in 2 years time.
Considering Europe seems to be invincible at home playing a guy like Fitz (or Wallace) could have been a good idea.

Is he a great young player though Diggers? He seems pretty streaky to me. He's had purple patches of good play, but I've never been blown away with his game. Seems pretty one dimensional.
Europe are going in with a lot of debutants, it makes sense to add experience to that team, and Fitzpatrick wouldn't really have done that.

I'm sure people will say that's he's won tournaments, but I'll make the same criticism of Fitzpatrick as many others would do if it was Westwood or Poulter. They've been pretty weak fields and mostly low quality events.

Fitzpatrick certainly wouldn't have been my first alternate anyway, I'd have probably gone for Wallace and then perhaps someone like Bjerregaard as his game as a bit of edge to it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 24 Sep 2018, 6:54 pm

Well, he’s 24. His stellar pedigree as an amateur backs up his career so far. I think he has a great swing and does everything really well, bar get the ball out there miles. He’s already earned enough OWGR points to be spending time inside the worlds top 30, so his results against good players must be OK.
Think we expect a bit too much too soon sometimes, Pepperell hasn’t really done much until this year (only 1 win still) and he gets talked up more that Fitz.
I see a lot of Roses games in Fitzpatrick, think he will be around for a long time. Like I say, not saying Stenson wasn’t the right choice, just that I rate Fitz and don’t think the last RC should be that important.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:07 pm

I know exactly what you mean Diggers, but I just see him as being particularly special, like Arch Deacon Simpson on the US side, and I don't think he's got much personality which is necessary for the Ryder Cup.

I'm sure he'll be in future Ryder Cups as you say, but I don't think he did enough this time round, or displayed enough of a dynamic game to really worry the American team, and that's what really matters, not a few results on a weak tour.

Last edited by super_realist on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:08 pm

Rafa has perenially been higher in the world rankings than Fitz, plus has matched up well in the US and against the US.
Fitz only has a Masters T7 more than 2 years ago as a top ten in the US.

He needs to earn his next RC team membership - so far he hasn't done it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:21 pm

Rafa is also 10 years older and has spent quite a few years of his career being utterly bang average. Not exactly the future IMO. You’d think 13 years as a pro might have yielded a bit more if he was that great.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:44 pm

Never understood the burbling of pre come for rafa on here.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:46 pm

There's barely any Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:58 pm

We only bring up Rafa in lack of alternatives.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:45 pm

Pretty good forecast for Paris, hopefully just breezy enough to add to the interest.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 24 Sep 2018, 11:09 pm

Here's my prediction: one team wins, one team loses. Many (thankfully, not all) fans of the winning side will immediately claim cultural superiority ... claiming their food, music, art, etc. are obviously much better as evidenced by the result of this exhibition match.

Me, I'll be playing a quirky golf course outside an amusement park in Clementon, NJ. And, of course, dreaming of shots that players of either team could hit one handed.

Enjoy the event!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 25 Sep 2018, 12:38 am

I suspect you'll be pining for the Mohawk Valley as you scramble round hell's half acre and the devil's bumhole.

Just think, you could be playing the GCofN.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 25 Sep 2018, 12:46 am

Drove back from Big Moose today ... should have stayed and played golf at Newport, or Thendara, or Teugega, or ...

Overnight at PV. Can't wait and hoping for good weather.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 25 Sep 2018, 12:53 am

Still haven't played anything at Teugega except cards. Supposed to be magnificent.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 25 Sep 2018, 11:38 am

Shotrock wrote:Many (thankfully, not all) fans of the winning side will immediately claim cultural superiority ... claiming their food, music, art, etc. are obviously much better
So you expect Europe to win?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 25 Sep 2018, 12:52 pm

Not quite sure why the US Team came off the plane looking like extras from a film about the Secret Service.

Mark James wasn't right about a lot of things, but his observations about runner beans and US RC clothes were spot on.

Incidentally, a very pleasant hour last evening spent watching the "Famous Five", quite well done I thought, would definitely recommend it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Tue 25 Sep 2018, 2:17 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Incidentally, a very pleasant hour last evening spent watching the "Famous Five", quite well done I thought, would definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up although not sure if we will get it here Kwini, although Sky may pick it up.

As for the subject matter, only Lyle didn't get a RC captaincy. Was it just because he walked off the course at Birkdale in 08 or is there more to it than that? Did his self non-inclusion in '89 come back to haunt him?

If anyone has any thoughts or rumours I'd love to here them. Sandy along with Seve and Tom Watson were my childhood golf heroes.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 25 Sep 2018, 2:51 pm

No clue about Sandy Lyle and the RC Captaincy.
Have often thought Oosterhuis's omission from the Captaincy ranks even more egregious - though it's quite possible he was living in the US by the time his turn came around.

The commentators from Portugal last week mentioned that Raphael Jaquelin is part of Bjorn's backroom team - happy to hear that, hope his has Levet in the fold as well. Levet just turned 50, wonder if he's going to play Champions Tour Q-School?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Sep 2018, 6:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Not quite sure why the US Team came off the plane looking like extras from a film about the Secret Service.

Mark James wasn't right about a lot of things, but his observations about runner beans and US RC clothes were spot on.

Incidentally, a very pleasant hour last evening spent watching the "Famous Five", quite well done I thought, would definitely recommend it.

I was thinking that too, they were simply confirming that golfers are the least stylish and cool people in sport.

Probably one of the pathetic "golf Boyz vomit" idea.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 25 Sep 2018, 9:12 pm

Super’s gonna love this

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyderCupUSA/status/1044645437385445376

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Sep 2018, 8:24 am

pedro wrote:Super’s gonna love this

That says everything you need to know about the man. What an utter pr1ck. Makes Joey Barton look humble.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 26 Sep 2018, 10:15 am

I know some of you countenanced my thinking that some single matches are "arranged" but I believe there will be a rematch between Reed and McIlroy after Hazeltine.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Wed 26 Sep 2018, 10:44 am

super_realist wrote:

That says everything you need to know about the man. What an utter pr1ck. Makes Joey Barton look humble.

I hate fake modesty.

He's right that he belongs on it, so if he hadn't named himself it would have been utter BS.

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 26 Sep 2018, 11:41 am

super_realist wrote:

14 majors and 80 wins. He has every right to include himself, in fact it would be more cringeworthy if he didn't.

Unless he went down a different route and named shooter macgavin etc.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 26 Sep 2018, 12:15 pm

He's right. I think I heard him say once, when asked if he wast he greatest, that he just wanted to be part of the conversation. Well, he clearly is and that's what the Tweet shows. It's a discussion point and not to have included his own name would have been stupid, agree false modesty is dull when you have the goods (and some) to back it up.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2018, 1:42 pm

Also it is a pretty harsh cut after he said it. I wouldn't be surprised if he followed the comment with a self deprecating laugh or something.

How could the list really differ, maybe swap Hogan for Jack.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Sep 2018, 2:48 pm

McLaren wrote:

How could the list really differ, maybe swap Hogan for Jack.

Why?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2018, 3:00 pm

I guess because Nicklaus is 4th out of the 4 Tiger mentioned so the most likely to be replaced.  And for me Hogan would be the obvious replacement.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Sep 2018, 3:10 pm

I thought Woods was the fourth? Snead, Jones, Nicklaus, Woods.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 26 Sep 2018, 4:29 pm

Apparently Poulter is a bit miffed Tiger missed him off the list.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2018, 4:31 pm

Maybe, I don't really know enough about the older guys and how good their competitors were to really rank them.  Either way it is not ridiculous for Tiger to put himself in the top 4.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Sep 2018, 4:42 pm

McLaren wrote:Maybe, I don't really know enough about the older guys and how good their competitors were to really rank them.  Either way it is not ridiculous for Tiger to put himself in the top 4.

Just don't know why you cobbled up a porkie to diss Nicklaus.

Think I'd have Nicklaus, Woods, Hogan, Snead.

Probably have Poults among the four best guys from Hertfordshire . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next