The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour Title Sponsorship Status...

2 posters

Go down

PGA Tour Title Sponsorship Status...  Empty PGA Tour Title Sponsorship Status...

Post by robopz Thu 27 Oct 2016, 5:07 pm

Not sure if this is of any interest to folks here... but here is a list of PGA Tour events and their current sponsor situations.  

Most events seem pretty stable, with every event sponsored through the 2016-17 season but there are 12 events out of the 48 that have some sponsor situation after this season and for 2017-2018 season. Not a big concern as there can be 20-25% of the events up for sponsor renewal at any given time anyway. But understanding no sponsorship is a sure thing until it's renewed or a new company is signed,  there are always potential issues.

Here's the base recap of the current sponsor terms as best as I know them. Note's on several of these are found below

2020 - Safeway Open
2020 - CIMB Classic
2020 - WGC HSBC Champions
2026 - Sanderson Farms Championship
2017(a) - Shriners Hospitals for Children
2018 - OHL Classic at Mayakoba
2020 - RSM Classic
2019(b) - Tournament of Champions
2018 - Sony Open in Hawaii
2021 - CareerBuilder Challenge
2019 - Farmers Insurance Open
2025 - Waste Management Phoenix Open
2024 - AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am
2017(c) - Genesis Open
2021 - The Honda Classic
2023 - WGC-Mexico Championship
2020 - Valspar Championship
2017(d) - Arnold Palmer Invitational
2019 - WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play
2016(e) - Puerto Rico Open
2017(f) - Shell Houston Open
-NA- - Masters Tournament
2023 - RBC Heritage
2018 - Valero Texas Open
2019 - Zurich Classic of New Orleans
2019 - Wells Fargo Championship
-NA- - The Players Championship (PWC, Morgan Stanley, Optum)
2016(g) - AT&T Byron Nelson Championship
2021 - Dean & DeLuca Invitational (Colonial)
2021 - The Memorial Tournament
2017(h) - FedEx St. Jude Classic
-NA- - U.S. Open
2024 - Travelers Championship
2017(i) - Quicken Loans National
2021 - Greenbrier Classic
2023 - John Deere Classic
-NA- - The Open Championship (British Open)
2018 - Barbasol Championship
2023 - RBC Canadian Open
2018 - WGC-Bridgestone Invitational
2017(j) - Barracuda Championship
-NA- - PGA Championship
2026 - Wyndham Championship
2017(k) - The Barclays (Northern Trust)
2017(l) - Dell Technologies Championship (formally Deutsche Bank)
2019 - BMW Championship
2020 - Tour Championship (Coca Cola / Southern Companies)

(a) - Shriners Las Vegas is firm for this and next year's playing. No indication has been made beyond that time frame, but at this point there's no reason to suggest Shriners won't be continuing.

(b) - Tournament of Champions - Hyundai left to take over for Los Angeles, but supposedly SBS (a Korean broadcasting concern that televises PGA Tour events in Korea) remains on the line to underwrite this event through 2019.

(c) - Genesis (Huyndai) appears committed for the long haul near as I can tell, but far as I know there is no firm contract beyond next year.

(d) - Puerto Rico - Trump exited management from the Coco Beach Resort before the 2016 playing... but it appears the resort and P.R. Tourist interests remain solidly behind this event. But from near as I can tell, the agreements have been year to year, and I'm still not aware of any longer term commitment.

(e) - Arnold Palmer - MasterCard verbally reiterated it's long term commitment to this event this past spring, but as far as I know, have not announced a firm commitment for a specified term.

(f) - Houston officials seem confident that sponsorship won't be an issue after Shell leaves after some 25+ years of sponsorship after next spring's event. But until something is firm, I'd still see some risk to this sponsorship.

(g) - Byron Nelson - From all I've been able to see, the AT&T sponsor agreement expired this past spring. All indications are AT&T is in for the long haul though as their name is on the 2017 Tournament and AT&T was one of the key parties in bringing on Trinity Forest to host "their" tournament starting in 2018. Only thing missing seems to be the formal announcement of the long term commitment.

(h) - FedEx St Jude. FedEx has been continuing with short term 1 or 2-year commitments to this event. I have no clue the status of this one beyond next June. I would expect FedEx to hang in at least through 2018 when their umbrella FedExCup sponsorship comes up.

(i) - Quicken Loans is on for next summer, but unknown beyond that. One positive is QL is also a Tour Partner with a broader commitment beyond just this tournament. (the season long QL hole-in-one promotion)

(j) - Barracuda - Sponsorship of alternate events has often been a musical chair's kind of situation. I have no clue of Barracuda's long term plans here.

(k-l) - Questions abound about the playoffs with the discussion of trying to end the season earlier and FedEx umbrella sponsorship term set to expire at the end of 2018 Tour Championship. The last 2 playoff events are set with sponsorship through 2019, but the first two have commitments in place only through next year. The Boston event seems to be the one at most risk of being lost with Deutsche Bank exiting and EMC (now Dell Technologies) agreeing to take it over in a 1 year agreement.

NOTE: Majors and Players are listed as NA (Not Applicable) as they don't have Title Sponsors.  The Players has multiple "proud partners" of which they now have three. Tour Championship is similar with no Title sponsor per se, but presented by Coca-Cola and Southern Companies.

robopz

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour Title Sponsorship Status...  Empty Re: PGA Tour Title Sponsorship Status...

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 27 Oct 2016, 6:26 pm

Thanks robo, thumbsup

Imagine AT&T will be saying something about the Byron Nelson pretty soon - perhaps they're waiting for Monahan to deliver the news!

PS, Completely agree with yr take on Colonial.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour Title Sponsorship Status...  Empty Re: PGA Tour Title Sponsorship Status...

Post by robopz Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:28 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Thanks robo, thumbsup

Imagine AT&T will be saying something about the Byron Nelson pretty soon - perhaps they're waiting for Monahan to deliver the news!

PS, Completely agree with yr take on Colonial.
I was really surprised they didn't yesterday with the new course grand opening and everybody there (except the Commish). But Trinity Pines, Byron Nelson Tournament, SMU, DFW area political & golf interests, AT&T officials and AT&T's guy, Jordan Spieth were all there...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down