The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Womans rugby.

+6
ChequeredJersey
Cardiff Dave
Gooseberry
SecretFly
propdavid_london
majesticimperialman
10 posters

Go down

Womans rugby. Empty Womans rugby.

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:52 am

I have not noticed any mention of the English women's rugby win over France the other day.

Do we just comment on the men's rugby and not all rugby now?

For those of you who did not see the game. it was a bit touch and go, a lott of miss handling, slippy ball but a well deserved win for England.

Any one wan't to comment on it feel free.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Womans rugby. Empty Re: Womans rugby.

Post by propdavid_london Wed 16 Nov 2016, 11:04 am

I watched the game - Must admit that it wasn't the most entertaining of games with both teams generally poor. I wouldn't have said either team really deserved it over the other.
England coped well with a big French pack - and it was one of the better games I have seen from Katy Mcklean (who is generally quite poor).
England definitely missed some of their big strike runners in the backs - Scarratt not playing and I am not sure where Jo Whatmore being out of the equation.

I believe they have the Black Fearns up next and if they play like they did against France then they are in big trouble.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 16 Nov 2016, 1:42 pm

I don't think women's rugby should be played by women, if I'm being honest.....

Oops sorry, my inner Trump got confused there Whistle Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 16 Nov 2016, 2:09 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:a lott of miss handling

Which side does she play for?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 16 Nov 2016, 8:54 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I have not noticed any mention of the English  women's rugby win over France the other day.

Do we just comment on the men's rugby and not all rugby now?

For those of you who did not see the game. it was a bit touch and go, a lott of miss handling, slippy ball but a well deserved win for England.

"We"?
Any women on here?
I jest of course, but most women and blokes I know comment on Men's rugby only at the mo. It'll change I reckon and Women's football is becoming more popular as we speak.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 16 Nov 2016, 9:49 pm

I've actually watched the game, and it was a great one Smile

Hard enough to comment at all though right now :/
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 17 Nov 2016, 5:43 pm

SecretFly wrote:I don't think women's rugby should be played by women, if I'm being honest.....

I reckon DJT would be a huge fan of Women's Rugby, after all he has the utmost respect for women. To show this he would perhaps commission special outfits for the Women's game - not dissimilar to the ill-fated NFL offshoot of Lingerie Football.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 17 Nov 2016, 6:05 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
SecretFly wrote:I don't think women's rugby should be played by women, if I'm being honest.....

I reckon DJT would be a huge fan of Women's Rugby, after all he has the utmost respect for women. To show this he would perhaps commission special outfits for the Women's game - not dissimilar to the ill-fated NFL offshoot of Lingerie Football.

You mean like Women's Beachball? Seems there are more men who like what Trump likes than Trump.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 18 Nov 2016, 9:59 am

I have one rugby-playing daughter (who has just become the first girl to play rugby for her school in 20 years) and by the end of the season I will have a second one, so I am very supportive of women's rugby, but a combination of work and other commitments means I haven't been able to watch any of the England women's games so far.

In general, I really enjoy watching women's rugby and I'm pleased to see it getting more airtime - but I think as a rugby watching community, we need to approach it with different expectations.

Inevitably it won't be as physical as the men's professional game, and there is also a skills gap that will narrow over time but is unlikely to close completely. Those are a result of a number of things: physiology, a smaller player pool and the fact that the men's game has been professional for 15 years while the women's game has had professional contracts for a handful of players for about 2 years.

But if we're fans of rugby, we should get behind it as a sport. Rugby's best chance to grow as a global game is by building on the Olympic 7s, and Olympic sports are required to invest in both the men's and women's game.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:04 am

Well said Poorfour - completely agree.

I didn't know much about the game until I met my wife - and have watched a lot since then.

If you love rugby then the games are worth watching - some are very armature in standard, while others can be of exceptional quality. Take, last seasons Prem final that was hosted at the Stoop and aired on Sky sports.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:41 am

Women's rugby doesn't interest me at all. It is really bad in my opinion unlike some other women's sports like tennis and UFC.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:44 am

Ireland have produced some very skilled plays and players in recent times - some wonderful running and passing rugby at times. It can be a very good game - under appreciated.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 18 Nov 2016, 2:08 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Women's rugby doesn't interest me at all. It is really bad in my opinion unlike some other women's sports like tennis and UFC.

It's not really fair to compare it to Tennis or UFC. There has been professional women's tennis for 40 years, and today is played by women who have been coached since their childhood, just the same as the men. UFC is much younger, but the women's and men's professional game have been in existence for the same amount of time.

By contrast, the first women's rugby union international match wasn't held until 1982, a mere 111 years after the first men's international. As far as I can tell, there are 48 female professional players in England. 19 in New Zealand. 1 in Wales. 1 in Scotland. 1 in Canada. That's fewer than the number of professional male rugby players in Scotland alone. And nearly all of those contracts are less than 2 years old. I am expecting a rapid improvement in the quality of the women's game as the pool of full time professionals grown - just as we saw when the men's game went fully professional.

Obviously, you're entitled to your preference, but my point is that we should make an effort to support and encourage women's rugby, because it is key to growing the sport as a whole. If rugby is to remain an Olympic sport, with all the profile that goes with it, the women's game needs to succeed.

Right at the moment it's not an expensive sport to follow - women's internationals at the Stoop are included in my season ticket - and if fans of the professional men's game all invest a little bit of time to support it will make a big difference over time. It's not often you get the chance to support a new pro sport from its inception.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 19 Nov 2016, 9:17 pm

I enjoy Women's international footy, especially when the Yanks get beat, and it's getting more competitive it seems. England going fully pro too, I understand. I expect rugby to follow suit to a lesser extent, eventually. A different animal from the pumped up bish-bash Men's game of course which aint a bad thing in my view.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sun 27 Nov 2016, 12:29 pm

Womens rugby is great fun, although having coached at int level and watching the international womens game it's clear not many female coaches are getting the best out of their teams.

Take Scotlands loss to Spain recently, I have had numerous conversations with Shade Munro (Scotland head coach) about the state of kicking.

Kicking in the womens game is very poor, 20m is a long kick for all but a very special few worldwide, so when kicking from the centre of the park to touch the biggest net gain is around 7-9 metres, and around 1/3 kicks never make touch anyway.

And the Scottish hooker kicks at goal, she isn't a naturl kicker of the ball, and has never been taught to kick off a tee and constantly uses a cone.

England/Ireland/Canda/NZ/France are all very decent teams, and games against each other can be tasty, but I find watching it too frustrating as they replicate the mens game without success.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sun 27 Nov 2016, 12:30 pm

BTW I meant coaches of females, not female coaches!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down