The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone in the market for a (no doubt) out of shape receiver?

+5
Grizzly
uberfunction
GSC
CFCNick
skins4ever
9 posters

Go down

Anyone in the market for a (no doubt) out of shape receiver? Empty Anyone in the market for a (no doubt) out of shape receiver?

Post by skins4ever Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:14 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8202dd9d/article/burress-set-to-exit-prison-agent-claims-many-teams-want-wr-?module=HP_headlines

Anyone think their team will be interested in the guy?

For my part, I doubt the Skins will as WR isn't that high on our needs list and might have been addressed in the draft.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Anyone in the market for a (no doubt) out of shape receiver? Empty Re: Anyone in the market for a (no doubt) out of shape receiver?

Post by CFCNick Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:22 pm

Some people say he is a better choice than most. He's lucky the lockout happened because it gives him more time to get close to the same level as other FA WRs.

I wouldn't say many teams want him, maybe just 2 or 3, Rams, and possibly 49ers.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Anyone in the market for a (no doubt) out of shape receiver? Empty Re: Anyone in the market for a (no doubt) out of shape receiver?

Post by GSC Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:24 pm

Its the type of move I expect the Eagles to make. Or the Patriots. The locker room to contain him, and no need for him to be back at 100% straight away.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Its the type of move I expect the Eagles to make. Or the Patriots. The locker room to contain him, and no need for him to be back at 100% straight away.

I read this this morning (from a eagles' beat reporter from the Philadelphia Inquirer.. Eagles' Interest in Plax is from Plax's side. I could see Drew Rosenhaus (Plax's agent) doing this. I mean, this is the mastermind behind that Terrell Owens-Eagles' dispute years ago.

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm

Somehow I can't see the Eagles going for it. I agree that the Rams could be a good fit and it gets him away from the East Coast.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

skins4ever wrote:Somehow I can't see the Eagles going for it. I agree that the Rams could be a good fit and it gets him away from the East Coast.

I really don't want to see Plax on the Eagles'. That team is already stacked at the WR position. Jackson, Maclin, Avant, and Celek at TE. Rams would be a great fit for him. Bradford needs more weapons. Poor Danny Amendola can't do it himself. And Spagnolo is a real players' coach, which would be what Plax needs right now.

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:52 pm

Even though we used our first round pick on a WR (Jonathon Baldwin) I wouldn't say we're loaded at WR.
Bowe is still an unfullfilled talent given his head issues and by the sounds of it Baldwin could be a similar animal, I think for us much depends on how McCluster develops.
So I wouldn't trun down an experienced big play receiver, and if there ever is a time that he will keep his nose clean and play football it's now, he is likely to be undervalued and I think would be a steal for someone prepared to take a chance, plus he's not getting any younger and will need to be good this year to secure a final contract I would imagine.
Seems the Giants are favs to sign him which is strange because WR is not an area they are short

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 06 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

According tot he article, many Giants players say they'd like him to come back but don't think it will happen.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 06 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

We don't need Plax, we have a solid group of WRs, albeit with things they need working on. Like I said about Tiki maybe his best option is pursuing a positional coaching job.

On the other hand if no one signs him he and Tiki can run off together. Could be an idea for a sitcom, two guys trying to make it, again.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:20 pm

I don't see why the Giants would be interested, but I think the Browns could be WR is a position we could do with some help at, I think our top WR didnt make 500 yards last season.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

Derby

Now the decision has been made to go with McCoy I think those numbers will improve, he did well last season and impressed in some games - seem to remember he had a great game against the Jets in an overtime loss and they smashed the Pats early in the season with McCoy in.
I just look at the Browns draft and they have gone big on game changing receivers (actually 1 is a TE but he's there to catch balls), not sure what value a troubled veteran can bring to a young devleoping team like the Browns....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

if he does happen to go to Philly (which I doubt) I would love the combo of Vick to Plax to be called "Con-Air"

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:06 pm

Burress is more likely to go to a team that doesn't need immediate help. It took Vick a year to get back, and Burress won't be 100% right away.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

I agree that should help and I'm optimistic for the future but Little didn't play last year and the TE is an ex basketball player who hasn't played much football if he was on a short not very expensive contract I can see why they would consider Burress.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Mon 06 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

Bears would be a good fit for him, they need a deep threat receiver, he has plenty of expereince and will come cheapish, a standard vets contract for his years as a pro plus incentives for yards/TD/and receiptions plus post season would give him a fair contract.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

The rumours of a move to the Eagles are understandable given the way they have rehabilitated Vick and the patience that Andy Reid is generally considered to have. However all the reports I've read say that the love there is one way.

The idea of calling them 'Con Air' is almost good enough to make it worth doing regardless though.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 06 Jun 2011, 7:39 pm

Con-Air gonna be dropping bombs on Revis Island.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Mon 06 Jun 2011, 7:41 pm

As a Giants fan, I would hate to see Burress go to the Eagles. But damn, Con Air sounds catchy as hell.

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

Eagles owner said today, they aren't afraid to take a chance on troubled players if their due dilligence checks out.

Somehow I doubt the backlash for signing a player who shot himself in the leg, quite compares to signing a player with Vick's record.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

I don't think there will be much backlash. If anything, the only backlash would be the way he treated the Giants organization weeks before the shooting. But Plax is going to try and prove to everyone he can still play so I don't see him slacking off this season.

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:02 pm

All I'd take from it, is that the Eagles want to check him out mentally and physically when they can. Theres interest there, but they'd only act if they're 100% comfortable with where he's at.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:03 pm

Also its becoming clear that Vick want's him here. And when you're negotiating a multi year deal potentially worth more than $10m a year with your franchise QB, keeping him sweet is a good plan.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:16 pm

Whoever goes for him can't be onto a bad deal. 1 year vet min. with bonuses and able to cut him any time with little cap hit (assuming there is even a cap). The Eagles makes sense, as stated, but is he really likely to beat out any of the guys that started last year? Certainly not Jackson.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by FrobisherO Fri 10 Jun 2011, 2:25 pm

Con-air Very Happy

FrobisherO

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

He doesn't have to beat out anyone. Start out as a backup, and slowly work into a 3rd down and redzone target.

It'd look like a 1 year vet minimum, with heavy incentives, with a team option to cut him for no compensation, and for an extra year at an improved salary.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down