The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Burns vs Julius Indongo for WBA & IBF World Super-Lightweight Titles April 15th

+6
TopHat24/7
Rodney
BoxingFan88
Hammersmith harrier
Jermaine2015
Fernando
10 posters

Go down

Ricky Burns vs Julius Indongo for WBA & IBF World Super-Lightweight Titles April 15th Empty Ricky Burns vs Julius Indongo for WBA & IBF World Super-Lightweight Titles April 15th

Post by Fernando Wed 11 Jan 2017, 11:46 am

It shall be live on Sky Sports.

Promoter Eddie Hearn is refusing to look beyond the unification fight and is expected to confirm the Indogo soon and is only interested in enabling Burns to add another super-lightweight title to his collection.

"It's long been Ricky's dream to unify the division and we are hoping we can deliver for him in his next fight," he he told Sky Sports.

"Indongo is a very dangerous opponent and coming off a huge first round knockout in Russia.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns vs Julius Indongo for WBA & IBF World Super-Lightweight Titles April 15th Empty Re: Ricky Burns vs Julius Indongo for WBA & IBF World Super-Lightweight Titles April 15th

Post by Jermaine2015 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 11:59 am

Unify the division? Crawford already embarrassed Burns...Burns is awful and relies on home town advantage to ensure he can get a robbery on the cards. Hope the Namibian destroys him

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns vs Julius Indongo for WBA & IBF World Super-Lightweight Titles April 15th Empty Re: Ricky Burns vs Julius Indongo for WBA & IBF World Super-Lightweight Titles April 15th

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 11 Jan 2017, 12:26 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:Unify the division? Crawford already embarrassed Burns...Burns is awful and relies on home town advantage to ensure he can get a robbery on the cards. Hope the Namibian destroys him

Burns is the one guy that Crawford didn't embarrass, it was a clear cut victory but he did himself no harm in that fight.

He's been the beneficiary of one bad decision against Beltran but was himself robbed against Figueroa, he's not a great boxer by any stretch but he's far far from being awful.

Jog on now Gerry.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 12:39 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:Unify the division? Crawford already embarrassed Burns...Burns is awful and relies on home town advantage to ensure he can get a robbery on the cards. Hope the Namibian destroys him

Burns is the one guy that Crawford didn't embarrass, it was a clear cut victory but he did himself no harm in that fight.

He's been the beneficiary of one bad decision against Beltran but was himself robbed against Figueroa, he's not a great boxer by any stretch but he's far far from being awful.

Jog on now Gerry.
Stick the glory hunting with Manchester United as you're boxing knowledge is pants.

Burns is the worst 3 weight belt holder in boxing history. Period.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 12:46 pm

Good fight, lets hope we get fair judging for this one

Think the winner was mooted to Potentially face Pacquiao, then once he has collected the other two belts, you have a mega fight for a unification with Pacquiao vs Crawford

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 11 Jan 2017, 12:48 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:

Jog on now Gerry.
Stick the glory hunting with Manchester United as you're boxing knowledge is pants.

I don't see what relevance being a Manchester United fan has in all this.

Duke Mckenzie and Leo Gamez would be competing for that honour not that it makes Burns a poor boxer, you seem to have two levels; either ATG or bum.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 11 Jan 2017, 1:28 pm

I agree with Hammer for once on this one, Burns did ok against Crawford - certainly better than most which includeds Postol, Gamboa and Molina. He was unlucky against Figueroa (what the hell has happened to him)

I don't pay much attention to the 3 weight belt that's a selling tool for modern fighters as far as I'm concerned. What Burns is a very solid fighter whose made the absolute most out of his ability and a credit to the sport. Why you want to see him destroyed is baffling ?

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 1:33 pm

Rodney wrote:I agree with Hammer for once on this one, Burns did ok against Crawford - certainly better than most which includeds Postol, Gamboa and Molina. He was unlucky against Figueroa (what the hell has happened to him)

I don't pay much attention to the 3 weight belt that's a selling tool for modern fighters as far as I'm concerned. What Burns is a very solid fighter whose made the absolute most out of his ability and a credit to the sport. Why you want to see him destroyed is baffling ?

Cheers, Rodders

Did he do better than Gamboa?

If my memory serves me Gamboa gave Crawford hell and hurt him a few times

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 5:16 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:

Jog on now Gerry.

Broner
Duke McKenzie

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 5:19 pm

Arguably Linares and, perhaps, Soto also quite soft 3 weight champs.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 5:20 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
Rodney wrote:I agree with Hammer for once on this one, Burns did ok against Crawford - certainly better than most which includeds Postol, Gamboa and Molina. He was unlucky against Figueroa (what the hell has happened to him)

Cheers, Rodders

Did he do better than Gamboa?

If my memory serves me Gamboa gave Crawford hell and hurt him a few times

Gamboa troubled him, IMO, but then got wiped out, from memory. Burns performed more consistently but never really trouble Crawford, IMO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 11 Jan 2017, 5:36 pm

Did a Scotsman pinch your wife Jermaine? You seem to have a deep hatred for successful Scottish sportsmen. Your ramblings about Andy Murray seem to back this up.....

Let it go pal OK

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Jan 2017, 6:06 pm

If a Scotsman ran off with my wife, I'd shake him firmly by the hand, buy him a large scotch and wish him the best of luck.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Jan 2017, 6:17 pm

Gamboa gave Crawford plenty of problems but was just too small for him. Burns was outboxed but not disgraced.

Happy for Ricky if he can pick up another trinket, made the best of his ability, and keeps coming back from adversity.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 8:54 pm

Let's not forget he is fighting a guy who just iced a champion in Russia with the ko of the year in the first round shall we

Good fight

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Jan 2017, 9:21 pm

True, but he's not a noted banger - strange fight for the few minutes it lasted.... amateur star troyanovsky looked like he'd never fought a southpaw before. Indongo was winging in Hail Mary left hands. I don't know what the Russian for duck is, but I suspect the whole audience shouted it.

Not sure Ricky will make he same mistake.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 11 Jan 2017, 10:18 pm

Burns chin is made of iron too, he's been dropped a few times but been on the receiving end of a lot of punishment without coming close to being stopped. The 7th round I believe against Gonzalez was punishing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Jan 2017, 8:19 am

Good for Burns. The Warren legal case left him bankrupt (which still rankles with me considering Hearn's involvement). To come back from that turmoil (a nightmare that appeared to impact on his performances) is hugely creditable.

For all of the "unification" talk, though, this is really a fight between two contenders (TBRB rate the Nigerian much higher than Burns, also). Crawford is king at 140.

If Burns can navigate past this one and land a Broner fight, then more power to him. A fight with Josh Taylor would also do big business in Scotland next year.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:58 am

hazharrison wrote:Good for Burns. The Warren legal case left him bankrupt (which still rankles with me considering Hearn's involvement). To come back from that turmoil (a nightmare that appeared to impact on his performances) is hugely creditable.

For all of the "unification" talk, though, this is really a fight between two contenders (TBRB rate the Nigerian much higher than Burns, also). Crawford is king at 140.

If Burns can navigate past this one and land a Broner fight, then more power to him. A fight with Josh Taylor would also do big business in Scotland next year.

If you want to use that logic fine

Then we agree that Garcia vs Thruman is also two paper champions fighting

If we start using that logic we need to apply it everywhere

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Jan 2017, 1:50 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Good for Burns. The Warren legal case left him bankrupt (which still rankles with me considering Hearn's involvement). To come back from that turmoil (a nightmare that appeared to impact on his performances) is hugely creditable.

I agree (and do - just to keep myself sane more than anything). Top two welterweights are probably Pacquiao and Brook/Thurman. Garcia vs Thurman is still a fine fight between two top contenders - doesn't need any titles attached (and I think Garcia may just upset Keef).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:58 pm

Only way Garcia beats Thurman is with a lucky shot, way too flat footed for Keith

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:06 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Only way Garcia beats Thurman is with a lucky shot, way too flat footed for Keith

Garcia is one of those guys who doesn't look much, but is hard to beat (saying tat, I haven't seen much of his recent PBC mismatch-filled career).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:25 pm

He's a good solid fighter Garcia but this is his first real fight since Matthysse. He's been taking the mick since Lucas imo even his last fight was a tune up for this one him and his dad seem to think he's some kind of star be really pleased to see Keith lay him out his wannabe a black man act really grates on me

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:59 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Only way Garcia beats Thurman is with a lucky shot, way too flat footed for Keith

Garcia is one of those guys who doesn't look much, but is hard to beat (saying tat, I haven't seen much of his recent PBC mismatch-filled career).

Some truth in that, good alrounder, decent boxing brain... can just about outbox brawlers and outbrawl boxers. Having said that, he's needed some very friendly judging to keep that '0' going. Looks like an accident waiting to happen with a level playing field against top opposition.

But some might think that about Thurman too.

I like Thurman in this, but if collazo can double him up and porter rough him up, I wouldn't write Garcia off.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:12 pm

hazharrison wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

I agree (and do - just to keep myself sane more than anything). Top two welterweights are probably Pacquiao and Brook/Thurman. Garcia vs Thurman is still a fine fight between two top contenders - doesn't need any titles attached (and I think Garcia may just upset Keef).

I'm with you Haz regarding the alphabet soup

As for Thurman, there is just something about him, don't know what it is, but I don't think he is going to get to the elite level

Danny May be too flat footed to expose that though

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Jan 2017, 7:24 pm

milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Some truth in that, good alrounder, decent boxing brain... can just about outbox brawlers and outbrawl boxers. Having said that, he's needed some very friendly judging to keep that '0' going. Looks like an accident waiting to happen with a level playing field against top opposition.

But some might think that about Thurman too.

I like Thurman in this, but if collazo can double him up and porter rough him up, I wouldn't write Garcia off.

Garcia tends to fight to the level of his opposition (though his recent soft touches don't help). I'm not sold on Keef. Like a lot of big punchers, I think he'll fold against a fellow puncher. Is Garcia still that at 147?

I would rather Thurman won, though. He's more likely to go on and test himself against Brook/Spence/Pac.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 12 Jan 2017, 8:25 pm

I'd love to see Burns land a mega payday against Pacquaio after everything he's been through he wouldn't have a prayer but I'd love to see him land it nonetheless

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down