The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

+67
catchweight
wayne
RuggerRadge2611
dummy_half
tigertattie
carpet baboon
nathan
Winzer
Poorfour
rapidsnowman
bedfordwelsh
chris_501
No9
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
marty2086
Gooseberry
Barney McGrew did it
reallybored
EWT Spoons
Sgt_Pooly
RDW
Rugby Fan
dgttaylor
Heuer27
PhilBB
the-goon
Hammersmith harrier
No 7&1/2
RiscaGame
munkian
George Carlin
BigTrevsbigmac
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
BamBam
Exiledinborders
CraigS1874
SecretFly
beshocked
cascough
Luckless Pedestrian
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
theslosty
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
westisbest
Cyril
king_carlos
Cumbrian
eirebilly
The Great Aukster
lostinwales
TJ
Rory_Gallagher
True Raven
robbo277
Gwlad
majesticimperialman
aucklandlaurie
Scottrf
Submachine
rodders
Sin é
GunsGermsV2
71 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 15 Empty Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

My wishlist:

I hope AWJ is named captain to keep the Irish and English lads in check.
I hope Robshaw gets picked, he deserves to tour at least once at this point.
I hope the refereeing is strictly on a level playing field.
I hope NZ are made accountable for any incidents where they break anyone's collarbone and put them out of the game for 13 months.
The Lions to be at the very least competitive and win one of the first two tests.
I'd like to see Tadhg Furlong get a run out.
Would like to see an uncapped player in the squad.
No charity caps, Tom court, Shane Williams etc.
I hope Gatland comes up with a much more interesting and variable game plan than on the last Lions tour.
Dylan Hartley calls a ref the C word on the last day of the six nations and misses the tour.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 15 Empty Re: Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:12 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Good to see that England's rise to the top is restoring the collective English rugby ego back to its former over inflated self. It makes my tickets for the Ireland v England game this year even more valuable a commodity and interesting a prospect.
It's just a shame it has to take place in your poky little stadium. It's hardly big enough to swing a cat in there. I bet the champagne is warm too.

Not as much of a dump as Twickers though. Takes forever to get in and out of that stadium.

The English wont be needing any champagne in Lansdowne anyway.
HQ is the home of rugby. Your stadium isn't even finished yet (I'm assuming your lot are planning to increase the capacity to a decent size at some point?).

Loving the Irish attitude this year. Best side in the world (ever?) Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 15 Empty Re: Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by cascough Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 am

Poorfour wrote:
beshocked wrote:Poorfour good post. OK Scotland need a representative to fight their corner. Someone who will champion the likes of J.Gray and Hogg.

Let's say if it's a 50-50 call between Itoje and J.Gray with A.Farrell and Borthwick having votes who do you think they would be more likely to pick? The player they know well or the one they don't?

Exactly the point. Thank you beshocked. From a purely parochial point of view, having Faz and Borthwick in the coaching team improves the odds a little for English players (especially Sarries...) or at least balances Gats and Howley, but in the spirit of the Lions it's not great to have that imbalance against the Scots.

I don't think it matters. It isn't about nice and equal representation and making sure everyone feels warm and cosy inside at the thought of 4 nations coming together, it's about picking the best players to win, regardless of where they are from.

Scotland are the worst side in 6 nations history so I wouldn't expect them to be contributing many players to the touring party, never mind the test team. From that point of view not having someone there to fight for a minority probably won't have much of an impact. If Scotland turn it on this 6N then it might become more of an issue.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:43 am

cascough wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
beshocked wrote:Poorfour good post. OK Scotland need a representative to fight their corner. Someone who will champion the likes of J.Gray and Hogg.

Let's say if it's a 50-50 call between Itoje and J.Gray with A.Farrell and Borthwick having votes who do you think they would be more likely to pick? The player they know well or the one they don't?

Exactly the point. Thank you beshocked. From a purely parochial point of view, having Faz and Borthwick in the coaching team improves the odds a little for English players (especially Sarries...) or at least balances Gats and Howley, but in the spirit of the Lions it's not great to have that imbalance against the Scots.

I don't think it matters. It isn't about nice and equal representation and making sure everyone feels warm and cosy inside at the thought of 4 nations coming together, it's about picking the best players to win, regardless of where they are from.

Scotland are the worst side in 6 nations history so I wouldn't expect them to be contributing many players to the touring party, never mind the test team. From that point of view not having someone there to fight for a minority probably won't have much of an impact. If Scotland turn it on this 6N then it might become more of an issue.

This bit in bold is the biggest issue though.  Who are the best players?  It will be vary from coach to coach, and poster to poster (on here).  It's why we have years and years of arguments on here, and why no matter what Gatland will get slated by the vast majority because who he picks (his prerogative after all) will not match what posters think are the best players.  No matter what people think about Gatland he will not deliberately pick who he thinks are the worst players.  He'll pick who he thinks are best, based on all sorts of criteria.  Surely we just have to let him get on with that, just as we let Schmidt decide who he picks for Ireland, Cotter decide who he picks for Scotland, Baxter for Exeter, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 am

The best players will vary in peoples minds of course, but surely even the most passionate of Scotland supporters expects there to be less Scotland players in the party than any other Nation. That would certainly tally with the names (or lack thereof) we see being put forward on here.

For that reason I can't see the lack of a Scottish voice being an issue.

As an England fan, if Ireland win the Grand Slam, given the autumn they had I don't care if he picks 15 Irishmen for that first test, they will blatantly have the record to justify that selection, and I want to win.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:52 am

Gatland could win this series with a 3 nil whitewash, and there would still be people on here, and elsewhere saying how wrong he was to select such and such. It's just they way of the world.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:53 am

I don't agree with the last point case, possibly a little more if the 6Ns were a home and away tournament.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 am

You're probably right, people just want their favorites in.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:02 am

cascough wrote:You're probably right, people just want their favorites in.
or they want their players to have nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:03 am

cascough wrote:The best players will vary in peoples minds of course, but surely even the most passionate of Scotland supporters expects there to be less Scotland players in the party than any other Nation. That would certainly tally with the names (or lack thereof) we see being put forward on here.

For that reason I can't see the lack of a Scottish voice being an issue.

As an England fan, if Ireland win the Grand Slam, given the autumn they had I don't care if he picks 15 Irishmen for that first test, they will blatantly have the record to justify that selection, and I want to win.

Completely agree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:06 am

The Irish don't tend to travel well on a Lions tour though.

Are they not good at mixing with the other players or is it something else?

O'Connell is a prime example of this (even though he did say that the Lions was much more important than Ireland or Munster).

It's an odd one.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 am

In 2009 Ireland won a slam but there were more Welsh players selected for the Lions. In 05 Wales won a slam but there were more English players selected.

Maybe thats where we are going wrong?

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:In 2009 Ireland won a slam but there were more Welsh players selected for the Lions. In 05 Wales won a slam but there were more English players selected.

In 2013 Wales won the 6 nations and lots of Welsh were selected for the Lions, and the Lions then won the series. Back on track! Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

Cyril wrote:The Irish don't tend to travel well on a Lions tour though.

O'Connell is a prime example of this (even though he did say that the Lions was much more important than Ireland or Munster).

It's an odd one.

Meanwhile the golden generation of English Lions in '05 travelled really well?

Some of the best Lions of all time were Irish.

Whats your beef with O'Connell? He was a good tourist.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 am

Griff wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:In 2009 Ireland won a slam but there were more Welsh players selected for the Lions. In 05 Wales won a slam but there were more English players selected.

In 2013 Wales won the 6 nations and lots of Welsh were selected for the Lions, and the Lions then won the series.  Back on track!  Whistle

True, Australia were really crap though.

The Welsh lads were very good though. Particularly Lydiate and AWJ.

Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Griff wrote:

In 2013 Wales won the 6 nations and lots of Welsh were selected for the Lions, and the Lions then won the series.  Back on track!  Whistle

Only a matter of time before someone wheeled that one out.

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:14 am

LordDowlais wrote:Gatland could win this series with a 3 nil whitewash, and there would still be people on here, and elsewhere saying how wrong he was to select such and such. It's just they way of the world.

I very much doubt that.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:20 am

Griff wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Griff wrote:

Only a matter of time before someone wheeled that one out.

I think Gatland made very hard work of that series. In all fairness he tends to struggle a lot against SH sides.

As I said though the Welsh lads were very good.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:24 am

cascough wrote:Alternatives aside, Miaow, you actually said that his defence might not be good enough for Gatland. If this is what you think of Joseph (regardless of whether or not you think there is a better alternative) then I deduce that you have not actually watched Joseph play over the last 12 months.

Without wanting to attack Miaow (as I haven't time to read one of his replies Wink) you do have a point. JJ has been a little quiet on the attacking front this last 12 month by his normal outstanding standards. But, what he has done, has been a defensive rock. He's really showed what a complete 13 he is, I honestly can't think of player at outside centre with such a complete game at the minute.

Players like Fekitoa and Kurindrani make bigger hits but none are defensively sound and there's certainly not a better performing 13 in the NH currently. Payne is a very strong defensive 13 but doesn't offer anywhere near the amount in offensive as JJ. Henshaw would be an interesting comparison as he's a very good player, but I see him as the ideal 12 option alongside JJ.

If somebody thinks JJ is a weakness defensively, I can only fathom that they've not seen him play that much over the last 12 months without wanting to be too harsh.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:25 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Cyril wrote:The Irish don't tend to travel well on a Lions tour though.

It's an odd one.

Some of the best Lions of all time were Irish.

Whats your beef with O'Connell? He was a good tourist.
He's a whinger with bad gums Very Happy

I don't think Ireland really buy into the Lions ethos.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:32 am

What is the Lions ethos? It seems to have changed a lot recently.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:What is the Lions ethos? It seems to have changed a lot recently.
It's a tricky one to pin down. I'd say that both O'Connell and O'Driscoll considered themselves a bit too special for the Lions.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:58 am

Cyril wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:What is the Lions ethos? It seems to have changed a lot recently.
It's a tricky one to pin down. I'd say that both O'Connell and O'Driscoll considered themselves a bit too special for the Lions.

Haha. Not sure what the beef with O'Connell was in particular. He was a pretty good captain. Both players however had their captaincies cut short so its hard to judge them as captains.

In fairness they were a level above most Lions players of the last few tours especially the English players who sadly haven't contributed a world class player in a long time.

Getting selected for 4 tours (O'Driscoll) and 3 tours (O'Connell) is a bit special both also having one tour as captain.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 pm

We're getting there. Patience.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Cyril wrote:

I'd certainly hope so, Cyril. OK

Maybe we'll hear a bit more about in one of their next 10 autobiographies each. Famous rugby players always need more than one book to tell everything Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:06 pm

The Lions ethos btw is bum slapping your pal with a towel around a pool after shooting some elephant types in the morning just before the cold fraternity shower to help the bonding sessions.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:04 pm

SecretFly wrote:The Lions ethos btw is bum slapping your pal with a towel around a pool after shooting some elephant types in the morning just before the cold fraternity shower to help the bonding sessions.

It is if you're Andy Powell or Simon Zebo and picked to add a bit of 'flavour' to the camp.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:06 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Haha. Not sure what the beef with O'Connell was in particular. He was a pretty good captain. Both players however had their captaincies cut short so its hard to judge them as captains.

In fairness they were a level above most Lions players of the last few tours especially the English players who sadly haven't contributed a world class player in a long time.

Getting selected for 4 tours (O'Driscoll) and 3 tours (O'Connell) is a bit special both also having one tour as captain.
I'm not sure O'Connell was World Class. O'Driscoll yes (for a time).

England provided Flutey in 2009. What more do you want?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:09 pm

Cyril wrote:

Fair comment BOD couldnt even be bothered to play the last game.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:11 pm

England provided a lot of flops for the last four tours. Its about time they provided some outstanding players. Maybe Itoje?

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Corbisiero was world class in 2013, his performances in tests 1 and 2 were huge.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Corbisiero was world class in 2013, his performances in tests 1 and 2 were huge.

Hard to say when he was scrummaging against one of the weaker front rows in word rugby.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Who from Ireland played well in 2013?

Surely Earls (2009) and Best (2013) have provided the two worst Lions performance in the professional era?

Last edited by Cyril on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Cyril wrote:Who from Ireland played well in 2013?

Conor Murray and Sexton.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Conor Murray and Sexton.
They were ok, but nothing special.

I see Murray as being similar to Phillips (ie suits Gatlandball) and Sexton was decent but already on the wane.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Corbisiero was world class in 2013, his performances in tests 1 and 2 were huge.

Hard to say when he was scrummaging against one of the weaker front rows in word rugby.

Did Tom Court ever recover from that manshaming in 2012?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:28 pm

His scrum domination was non-existent in the second test.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Mind you, having said that, I don't remember him coming off second best either. chin

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:29 pm

cascough wrote:

His scrum domination was non-existent in the second test.

I meant test 3, he was sorely missed in the 2nd test.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Surely Earls (2009) and Best (2013) have provided the two worst Lions performance in the professional era?

Ronan O'Gara...?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Cyril wrote:
SecretFly wrote:The Lions ethos btw is bum slapping your pal with a towel around a pool after shooting some elephant types in the morning just before the cold fraternity shower to help the bonding sessions.

It is if you're Andy Powell or Simon Zebo and picked to add a bit of 'flavour' to the camp.

No, no, that is official Dogma. You don't read your Lions mandatory reading manuals, Cyril. I might have to inform on you and get you transported to the USA as punishment for blatant non-loyalty and treasonous lack of Lions folklore knowledge.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:08 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Geech: "What Clive did in 2005 had to be tried, mainly because we now know never to do it that way ever again"

I think he put it more elegantly than that, but the sentiment from both Gats and Geech was very clear. They visibly shuddered at mention of the 2005 tour and could barely talk about it in civil terms.

I think everyone agrees that it wasn't a great idea.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Why shudder? It has provided perhaps one of the most talked about/laughed about/perfect Lions propaganda episodes of the last decade?

Gats and Geech should rejoice! Pure theatre. Lions Tour classic.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Winzer Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:26 pm

O'Connell not world class? I suppose it depends on your definition, but if it means being one of the best in the world at your position, surely he was? It used to feel as though if Ireland came to Cardiff with him and O'Gara, they could pretty much pick 13 other blokes at random and have a good chance of winning.

Winzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm

Winzer wrote:O'Connell not world class?  I suppose it depends on your definition, but if it means being one of the best in the world at your position, surely he was?  It used to feel as though if Ireland came to Cardiff with him and O'Gara, they could pretty much pick 13 other blokes at random and have a good chance of winning.

Never mind Cyril - he's just enjoying himself. Wink

He actually has a large poster of Paulie overlooking his bed. He's got a Martin Johnson mat in the same room but he doesn't ever talk as much about it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:35 pm

miaow wrote:

Ronan O'Gara...?

O'Gara was concussed when the took Steyn out in the air. its was the Lions management's stupidity for bandaging up his head and leaving him on. Otherwise a decent tourist albeit never really a test starter.

England have dominated in the Lions howlers stakes in the pro era:

Matt Stevens bizarre selection
Tom Croft - not rated outside England.

All the English selections were weak especially Flutey and Vickery. Vickery lost the Lions that series after giving away about 20 penalties at the scrum in the first test.

Too many old donkeys to choose from. Olly Smith and Balshaw deserve special mentions for being completely useless.

Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:37 pm

I can see the 6 Nations must be starting soon haha

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Yeah, O'Gara wasn't out of his depth and a deserved tourist of course, but that one incident was devastating and unfortunately is what he will be remembered for in a Lions shirt.

Couldn't remember who Olly Smith was. Had to look him up on google and it came up with the wine expert who often appears on BBC cooking shows. Seems Clive just gave up and started picking any tubby Englishman with a public school education...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Cyril wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Conor Murray and Sexton.
They were ok, but nothing special.

I see Murray as being similar to Phillips (ie suits Gatlandball) and Sexton was decent but already on the wane.

Funny enough, Murray didn't suit Gatland as he would have had him starting in 2013 if he did suit him.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:49 pm

That's harsh on Vickery. The penalties should have been against Mtwarira, who was very clearly boring in. Vickery's inability to adapt was a part of it, but it was a pretty poor show by the ref.

The really bad English performances were Woodward's superannuated forwards and a not properly fit Wilkinson in 2005
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:16 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Did Tom Court ever recover from that manshaming in 2012?

Yes Gatland picked him for the Lions the following year - not any sort of recommendation though as it was only Australia and all their props are made out of marshmallow.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next