The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political round up.............

+25
Galted
Samo
No 7&1/2
Pr4wn
Dolphin Ziggler
LionsV2
Duty281
lostinwales
catchweight
dummy_half
ShahenshahG
Scottrf
Hero
Mad for Chelsea
Lowlandbrit
Hammersmith harrier
navyblueshorts
Muscular-mouse
SecretFly
Ent
superflyweight
Derbymanc
CaledonianCraig
TRUSSMAN66
GSC
29 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Political round up............. - Page 9 Empty Political round up.............

Post by GSC Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:14 am

First topic message reminder :

CaledonianCraig wrote:
GSC wrote:The Scots voted to remain part of the UK.

The UK voted to leave the EU. Every Scottish vote counted the same as every other UK citizen. I don't see the issue.

The Scots (a good number if you look at post-ref stats from neutral sources) decided to vote no on varying issues. One of the main ones was because they feared losing their place in Europe. That won loads of votes for Better Together and has proved to be fruitless for the voters as they are now out of Europe.

The issue is that many Scots sees Scotland as its own country - sure not independent - but very close to it as they have their own government. However, when they vote by 62% to remain in Europe and end up being taken out of Europe it becomes a big issue to many. Yes we know the UK voted to exit but there are perhaps a million plus Scots who fail to recognize or accept being part of the UK or see themselves Scottish first and foremost and feel how they vote should hold more water than it does in the current union.

Sorry Craig, but that's democracy. Why should somebody in Edinburghs vote count more than someone's in London? Almost as ridiculous as Mhairi Black complaining that a region with more inhabitants had more MPs representing it than another region with less MPs.

But such is the politics of the SNP, always phrasing as Scotland vs the rest of the UK (or more accurately England) when Scotland voted to be part of the UK.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 9 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:57 pm

Yeah but coxy was a militant remainer who said he would emigrate if leave won - a silver lining amidst the gloom. Maybe I read it on eureferendum.com

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 9 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by LionsV2 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:58 pm

I knew there was a reason why I voted leave.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 30 Sep 2017, 7:57 pm

LionsV2 wrote:
Ent wrote:Interesting article.

I doubt it is powered adequately to make claims about the sub groups as it tries to though.

Young people know little about politics, well duh. Almost no time is devoted to it in school unless you take a crappy a level in it. I knew nothing about politics when I was 18. Only going to get worse in the future due to the internet and people not using accurate sources.

Exactly.

I trust older voters with the future of this country a lot more than younger voters because they have experienced all sorts of different governments and can vote accordingly. An 18 year old who has never had to rely on himself simply does not have the required know how to make a balanced opinion, an age group that is predominantly remain voting for a Eurosceptic makes no logical sense.

Problem is the world changes, and hard won experience that applied to a world which is gone isn't much use. Especially when some of the old timers think that world is recoverable. On the other hand its common, normal even, for young people to think they know everything when they don't

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 30 Sep 2017, 8:59 pm

No bugger knows the best for anyone.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

Mail/Telegraph/Sun/Express = 3.5m daily circulation.....

Teresa May Twitter 390,000..... Conservative Twitter............260,000

= 4,150,0000.............
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guardian/Mirror = 1m

Progress/Momentum/Labour twitter = 650,000

Jeremy Corbyn twitter 1,520,000....................

= 3,170,0000......

You can see with these figures how Labour are able to neutralise the media narrative.. with message and rebuttal.... to a certain extent........

Social media has been a godsend to Labour..........They would be lost without it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 3:08 pm

It's a godsend when the majority of information on social media is absolute garbage and the gullible youth eat it up.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 3:13 pm

They should all read the Sun and the Express..........Bless them.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 3:17 pm

Probably more truth in the Sun than the Corbyn twitter page.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 02 Oct 2017, 4:07 pm

People believe what they want to see regardless of the source
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 4:46 pm

GSC wrote:People believe what they want to see regardless of the source

Indeed, Harrier here is a case in point.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 4:49 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
GSC wrote:People believe what they want to see regardless of the source

Indeed, Harrier here is a case in point.

As are you but one of us believes more credible sources and not posts on facebook.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 4:51 pm

I don't even use Facebook. But you gave me a good chuckle, so thanks.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm

Rees-Mogg today showing young Labour voters to be both classless and clueless, what a man.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:04 pm

Ah yes, Rees-Mogg who thinks that a woman that has been r@aped should not have control of her own body. What a man.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:11 pm

If he annoys you then more reason to like him.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:13 pm

He doesn't annoy me, I just think that his views on women are despicable. You, on the other hand, seem to quite like them. Says a lot.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:15 pm

How have you managed to infer that? Jumping to conclusions again I see.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:42 pm

Do you agree with his views on this? A simple answer will do.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

No I don't but that doesn't stop me liking him.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 7:30 pm

You must have some pretty low standards.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 7:37 pm

You seemingly like Corbyn so you have no standards.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:08 pm

Please explain to me how Jeremy Corbyn is a bad human being. I know you don't agree with his politics, but please outline to me why he's a bad person.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:11 pm

You're not worth my time, carry on worshipping Mr Photo Opportunity and I'll stick to proper politicians.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:12 pm

LionsV2 wrote:You're not worth my time, carry on worshipping Mr Photo Opportunity and I'll stick to proper politicians.

Laugh

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:13 pm

Is the liberal not able to force his opinions on other people?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:26 pm

Ha, well. It seems that you're doing your best to shut this debate down by not engaging me in any kind of discussion at all, judging yourself to be above any debate.

I'm trying, but I can only do so much, old boy.

Now, if you wish to drag your level of discussion out of the playground, please let me know why you think Jeremy Corbyn is a bad person.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:27 pm

He's an IRA loving opportunist ****** who would sell his own mother for a few votes from the youth.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:30 pm

Care to back any of that up?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:32 pm

Personal opinion, obviously having a non liberal opinion is outlawed on here and has to be backed up by a myriad of information from the Canary, Momentum or the Independent.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:38 pm

Not at all. It's just that when you make a baseless assertion that somebody is an IRA-lover and that they would "sell his own mother for a few votes from the youth" in a debate with someone, personal opinion isn't enough. You need to substantiate your opinion for it to carry any weight.

I'm not shutting you down, just asking you to support your accusations with some evidence, without reducing yourself to petty insults.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:40 pm

Not with you I don't, if I were debating with someone who's opinion I gave a damn about then I would substantiate but I find you tiresome and frankly boring.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:46 pm

Yeah, thought not. OK

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:54 pm

You understand the irony of you accusing me of "censoring your opinion" and "forcing my opinion on you" while simultaneously refusing to engage in any kind of meaningful debate because I don't agree with you, instead choosing to hurl baseless accusations and personal insults?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 03 Oct 2017, 9:03 am

LionsV2 wrote:Not with you I don't, if I were debating with someone who's opinion I gave a damn about then I would substantiate but I find you tiresome and frankly boring.
Pretty sure you were Hammersmith Harrier in another life. You got banned for this sort of stuff before; it can happen again if you like. Fancy a rest?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Oct 2017, 10:42 am

It's rather standard "alt-right" debating tactics:
- make outlandish, easily refuted claim.
- state that claim is only an opinion, and therefore* as equally valid claim as any other opinion.
- when said claim is challenged/refuted, shout about being oppressed and the death of free speech.

Free speech means you can say something, it doesn't mean you can't be challenged, or that people have to listen or even promote what you're saying.

* a particularly dangerous bit of logic, that, and why Gove's "people are tired of experts" lines was incredibly irresponsible.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Oct 2017, 10:44 am

On a ?lighter? note:

"I was struggling to think why wouldn't a youngster from Glasgow without a job come down to the south to work for a farm for the summer with loads of gorgeous EU women working there?"

Craig mackinlay. Tory MP for south Thanet.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:23 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:On a ?lighter? note:

"I was struggling to think why wouldn't a youngster from Glasgow without a job come down to the south to work for a farm for the summer with loads of gorgeous EU women working there?"

Yeah, I saw that. You'd struggle to make that up if it wasn't real. It's incredible what a high standard of MP we have in the UK - they really are impressive.
I wonder if he is pro- or anti-Brexit? If the former, where does he think all those 'gorgeous' women will come from?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:25 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:It's rather standard "alt-right" debating tactics:
- state that claim is only an opinion, and therefore* as equally valid claim as any other opinion.
- when said claim is challenged/refuted, shout about being oppressed and the death of free speech.

Free speech means you can say something, it doesn't mean you can't be challenged, or that people have to listen or even promote what you're saying.

* a particularly dangerous bit of logic, that, and why Gove's "people are tired of experts" lines was incredibly irresponsible.

To be honest fella, that sounds like the internet in general.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:28 am

Fair point though. Scottish women are dreadful.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:34 am

Ahhh yes that's definitely a right wing problem isn't it, if any of my comments were refuted with anything approaching sense then I'd debate appropriately, I have no time for 'loony lefty' rubbish. Accusing someone of being alt-right on here is perfectly acceptable but i'll be censored for saying that.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:47 am

Even more irresponsible are people who genuinely think Michael Gove said “people are tired of experts” full stop.

What Gove actually said was something quite different (the full quote is available online) relating to criticism of supposed experts who got things consistently wrong. 

Not all experts, as the taken out of context version seems to indicate, which means that Gove is a modern day Voltaire!

Last edited by Duty281 on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:47 am

That man should certainly not be an MP.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:55 am

Because he beat Farage?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:08 pm

GSC wrote:Because he beat Farage?

Because he spent well over the limit.

His trial is in May (I believe).

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:19 pm

LionsV2 wrote:

Ahhh yes that's definitely a right wing problem isn't it, if any of my comments were refuted with anything approaching sense then I'd debate appropriately, I have no time for 'loony lefty' rubbish. Accusing someone of being alt-right on here is perfectly acceptable but i'll be censored for saying that.

MFC, you forgot the whataboutery when exposed as a sub-standard debater.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:23 pm

Translation; 'he doesn't agree with me, I don't like it'.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 03 Oct 2017, 2:00 pm

picard

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 03 Oct 2017, 3:43 pm

LionsV2 wrote:

It doesn't work that way. You don't get to make a comment and then challenge others to provide factual evidence to refute it beyond all reasonable doubt. You don't get to make unsubstantiated comments, object when challenged and then complain that if your "comments were refuted with anything approaching sense then I'd debate appropriately". That's pretty much what MfC just cheekily alluded to don't you think?

Clearly, not everything is based on clear facts, and opinion has a lot to play in the 'discussions' here and within politics, in general. Shall we all try to play (reasonably) nice for a bit?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Tue 03 Oct 2017, 3:52 pm

The way it doesn't work is being the one constantly asked to provide evidence for an opinion because I'm a conservative, being the only one told how to debate primarily because I hold an opposing view. When a left wing voter says similar it's dismissed by you as being cheeky or not challenged at all.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 03 Oct 2017, 3:57 pm

Hammer isn't entirely wrong there.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next