The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eyes on the ball.

+4
graeme
drive4show
puligny
wolfrunna
8 posters

Go down

Eyes on the ball. Empty Eyes on the ball.

Post by wolfrunna Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:41 pm

I read somewhere regarding the best tip you've ever been given to play this game.
A couple of posters said about looking at the ball throughout the swing.Not until i read that did i ever give that one fundamental thing a thought.
I started playing again after a 20 year lay off with mixed results,more bad than good.
I had thought a few times that i hadn't seen the ball hit,but hadn't given it too much thought,until i read the thread on a message board.
Now,the one thought i take into a shot is to watch a particular spot the ball intently and,try to stay down until the impetus brings me up.
OK,I know that this is all basic stuff to those of you that play golf well,but i've wondered how many other have been afflicted with this,without realising
it.
Look up or blink at the point of impact,i think i did both of them.I don't even know when or why this crept into my game,but looking at the ball is something i've always taken for granted.
Its such a simple thing,but itd done wonders for me.

wolfrunna

Back to top Go down

Eyes on the ball. Empty Re: Eyes on the ball.

Post by puligny Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 pm

I've always understood it to be a golden rule of all ball sports - "keep your eye on the ball." Admittedly because in many sports the ball is often moving - but you would never take a penalty without looking at the ball?
In golf it is so easy to lift your head to see where the ball has gone - particularly so when starting the game because you don't want to lose it!
Saw Sam Torrance once describe a routine his father/coach employed, which basically involved taking a tight grip on the Torrance forelock as he swung and consequent ripping noise if he moved his head too far!!!! Driving or putting keep your head down.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 pm

wolf

I'd like to take the credit for that tip as I've often posted it on the old 606 when newbies have asked for advice.

I ALWAYS place my ball on the tee with a mark visible that I can focus on, also the same when playing preferred lies.

It's pretty basic stuff but it's very difficult to hit something you can't see.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:59 am

i once read that if you look at the back inside (ie side nearest you, about 4 o'clock) of the ball this would help you hit a draw and if you looked at the back outside (ie about 2 o'clock), this would help you hit a fade.

since i've never had a problem hitting a fade (aherm), if i can, i tee up or position the ball for a draw with the logo or a mark at 4 o'clock and try and focus on that. but as you point out, wolfrunna, it's something i do forget...

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:41 pm

"Eyes on the ball" is a bad bit of advice really. A good player could hit a decent shot with their eyes shut...or they should be able to once they're set up. Try it sometime on the practice ground; it's a blast. You just have to trust your swing once you close your eyes.

Bringing your head up doesn't cause problems a priori because you aren't looking at the ball any more; it's more to do with what happens to your shoulders etc.

I sometimes try to keep my eyes on the impact point as long as possible as a cue to keep my head still and my shoulders in place; if they move I can't see the ball well through impact. Never try to resist your shoulders driving your head up as you come though impact.

graeme wrote:i once read that if you look at the back inside (ie side nearest you, about 4 o'clock) of the ball this would help you hit a draw and if you looked at the back outside (ie about 2 o'clock), this would help you hit a fade.

Mental cues. I always like to line the ball up on the toe at address if I'm after a nice draw (think Zach 'Godsquad' Johnson does this as well) to try and exaggerate the in-to-out swing path I'm after.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:48 pm

navyblueshorts wrote: I always like to line the ball up on the toe at address if I'm after a nice draw (think Zach 'Godsquad' Johnson does this as well) to try and exaggerate the in-to-out swing path I'm after.

i think lee trevino used to do that in quite an exagerrated way, ie almost off the toe of the club. i have some vague memory of trying it as a youngster.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 am

if you keep your eyes firmly fixed on the ball and not allow your head to turn away with your shoulders slightly then you cant turn properly.

Watch how Jack used to move his head a little away with his club takeaway. he did this not through madness but to allow his rotation to work cleanly. A fixed head staring at the ball will not allow for a proper rotation of the shoulders.

You should keep your eye on the ball (back of ball) but allow your eyes to stay fixed but not your head fixed.

Thats what numnerous teach pros have told me and frankly it does make life much easier to swing. Simples!

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 am

I've recently come across a book which advocates an "aiming point" 4 inches IN FRONT OF the ball ["The Impact Zone", B Clampett], with the author seeming to actually focus his eyes on this point throughout the swing.

Unorthodox and sounds a bit mad to me (as an initial impression at least), but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any practical experience.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:15 am

4 inches infront sounds like a lateral slide and big divots...IMHO

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am

I don't know about focusing on that spot throughout the swing but I certainly line up on a spot a few inches in front of the ball.

Think I'd be more likely to shank if i'm not looking at the ball.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfrunna Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 pm

My head is turned to the right when i start the backswing.
navyblue,I can believe that low handicap players can hit the ball with their eyes closed,but i don't think i'm capable of doing it,but,i will give it a try.
skydriver,a club pro told me that he ensures hitting the ball first by aiming irons for the spot immediately in front of the ball.
I've done it ever since It also ensures i drive through the ball,which i didn't used to always do.
The problem that i didn't realise was that i didn't see the ball hit.
Even now,its the last thing i think of before starting the backswing,and try to concentrate until the follow through brings me up.
It seems so ridiculous that i have to concentrate so much for such a basic thing.

wolfrunna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down