The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions???

+28
Geordie
SecretFly
thebluesmancometh
majesticimperialman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ScarletSpiderman
HERSH
sugarNspikes
gowales
John Cregan
reallybored
Dontheman
EnglishReign
mckay1402
Pot Hale
TJ1
Duigers
George Carlin
BigTrevsbigmac
red_stag
bluestonevedder
Bathite
SuperGuinness69
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
drsambo1928
Jimpy
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
32 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions??? Empty Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions???

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 1:53 pm

This year is very special, a Lions Year...!

I don't think there are many if any players with their name already on the team sheet, not even in the Squad list.

Making the build up to the touring party announcement in April a very exciting time for us fans to debate and conjure our thoughts on predictions and permutations of who might or might not make the tour party/1st XV.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions??? Empty Re: Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions???

Post by Morgannwg Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:40 pm

Johnny Wilkinson.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions??? Empty Re: Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions???

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:56 pm

Having retired from international rugby I would say he's a wild are mate. But apparently still showing great form for Toulon

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:01 pm

There's a lion roaming Essex apparently.

Sorry, I meant 'who cares'.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:03 pm

That turned out to be Jason Leonard...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:04 pm

Theres always one suprise on the Lions squad, some guy who just emeges in the year of the tour and gets in the squad for 2009 it was Andy Powell, cant remember the squad in 2005 but im sure there was one. How many are there for the tour, 30 is it?

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:40 pm

Henson

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

Yep 30 and I think there could be a few surprises.

I am really excited about the selection. I genuinely don't think anyone in any position is nailed on.

I hope the players know that, because there are a lot of lads out there who have a hell of a lot to play for.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperGuinness69 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:39 pm

drsambo1928 wrote:Theres always one suprise on the Lions squad, some guy who just emeges in the year of the tour and gets in the squad for 2009 it was Andy Powell, cant remember the squad in 2005 but im sure there was one. How many are there for the tour, 30 is it?

Actually it was Keith Earls in 2009

SuperGuinness69

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:41 pm

SuperGuinness69 wrote:
drsambo1928 wrote:Theres always one suprise on the Lions squad, some guy who just emeges in the year of the tour and gets in the squad for 2009 it was Andy Powell, cant remember the squad in 2005 but im sure there was one. How many are there for the tour, 30 is it?

Actually it was Keith Earls in 2009

I'd agree that Powell was more of a surprise than Earls.

Earls show talent and skill.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 29 Aug 2012, 6:53 am

Ian Balshaw is a 'must' pick.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:34 am

Although some people think Visser is the messiah, if he got picked, it would still represent one hell of an achievement for him and a pretty meteoric year. It would probably mean he would oust a more established player like Ashton, Trimble, Cuthbert etc. as well, so would be doubly impressive!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:37 am

I think Ashely Beck could be a surprise inclusion to be honest, or Harry Robinson- although there is so mnuch competition for the wing spots in the squad.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:39 am

I think Christian Wade could bring a lot to the table.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:48 am

Christian Wade would be great, but has he got enough time to prove himself and overtake some of the other British wingers? That's my only concern. There's so much competition on the wings, he would have to really explode onto the international scene in the next fews months!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

Christian Wade I ahve no doubt will be a great wing. he was caught out of position defensively when playing for England recently & needs to rectify that side of his game.
Hopefully he can continue with his Wasps form from last season & be in prime position for the AIs & 6Ns.

For sheer pace & one on one I don't think there is anyone better placed than him though.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:28 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Christian Wade I ahve no doubt will be a great wing. he was caught out of position defensively when playing for England recently & needs to rectify that side of his game.
Hopefully he can continue with his Wasps form from last season & be in prime position for the AIs & 6Ns.

For sheer pace & one on one I don't think there is anyone better placed than him though.

Some of his tries at the JWC were just ridiculous. He's quite a finisher, that's for sure.

Powerful little guy too.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

BigTrev, he reminds me of Shane Williams, Jason Robinson type player. Certainly one of the most exciting wingers I have seen and he is only 21 years old.

I think he would bring a huge amount to the Lions.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:43 am

All he needs to do is sort out his defensive positioning, which hopefully he can learn quickly. There's no denying his natural ability.

You guys see him in the Barbarians games in SA over the summer? He was tenacious as well. Once he's got a sniff of the line, he really sacrifices his body to get there!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:15 am

I've heard that this Second Division Japanese club player could have a future in the game:
http://www.mhi.co.jp/gsh/dynaboars/profile/wtb_08_shane.php
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duigers Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:25 am

I guess the term "big in Japan" doesn't apply to wee Shane Sad

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm

Scots contribution?

Grey in the fifteen, Rennie, Denton. should be on the plane. Ford Visser, Laidlaw maybee. Wee Dunky weir for a wild card. Its a year too soon for some of these guys

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm

Chris Ashton.

Nailed on. Gatland loves him.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 Aug 2012, 1:14 am

As Pot Hale points out there could be a few "big names" who might splash out and not get called up...!!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 30 Aug 2012, 4:59 am

I think Nigel Davies might be on the coaching staff if he has a good season at Glaws.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 30 Aug 2012, 7:28 am

red_stag wrote:BigTrev, he reminds me of Shane Williams, Jason Robinson type player. Certainly one of the most exciting wingers I have seen and he is only 21 years old.

I think he would bring a huge amount to the Lions.

thumbsup

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 30 Aug 2012, 7:37 am

Jonny May, if he has a good season and gets a chance for England.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:22 am

Morgannwg wrote:Johnny Wilkinson.
Dyou mean Jonny Wilkinson or is there a NKOTB

Very Happy

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:25 am

It doesn't matter who's picked. Lambs to the slaughter. A completely anachronistic waste of time.

Disclaimer: Other opinions are available.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:29 am

EnglishReign wrote:Jonny May, if he has a good season and gets a chance for England.
Jonny May is a very good call. Very exciting prospect.

I've seen him play fullback wing and outside centre. But I thought he looked best at centre.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Fri 31 Aug 2012, 10:31 am

Stuart Hogg

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

Hope some players have the courage to say "thanks but no thanks" to the Lions next year....................for to help prolong their career and concentrate on what should be paramount, your club & country......................

Lions passed it's sell by date IMO............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:06 am

John, I have to say I don't get that way of thinking at all.

I think its one of the best occasions in rugby.

What isn't to like about it whether you are a player, a fan or even a neutral.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:07 am

John Cregan wrote:Hope some players have the courage to say "thanks but no thanks" to the Lions next year....................for to help prolong their career and concentrate on what should be paramount, your club & country......................

Lions passed it's sell by date IMO............

I agree

Edit: I don't agree that players should say "thanks but no thanks" though, it's still one of the biggest honour for a rugby player.

Although perhaps that statement was tongue in cheek.

Last edited by gowales on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:15 am

I'm not a huge fan of the Lions either. I'll watch it and enjoy it, but it's not really that important to me. Like the Barbarians I'm just not that bothered about it.

Different strokes for different folks.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:18 am

Have to say I find that really strange guys but sure to each his own.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:22 am

Stag,

I think the Lions was a great fit for the Amateur era..........now it seems like an unneccessary distraction.
Completely understand why players would still want to be part of it though............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 31 Aug 2012, 11:33 am

I think the Lions is a wonderful tradition that fits neatly in between WC years.

It is an honour for the B & I players & personally I like the fact that the nations can come together as one team.

Apart from that, as was stated on The Rugby Club last night, make up of the squad and team selection is the most debated subject in the pubs & rugby clubs.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:04 pm

red_stag wrote:Have to say I find that really strange guys but sure to each his own.

It's a great tradition and i enjoy watching it but i'd like to see it phased out as the other European countries get stronger and rugby becomes more global

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

Bananaman.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm

I think you should look out for anyone who has been at Wasps in the last decade.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

I only really like the tours if they are in SA or New Zealand, i dont know why but i just dont like australia tours as much, and id agree it is a bit stale and it dosent usher up a sense of pride for me but i think its more for the players to say "I was good enough in my playing time to be considered on a squad lots of people will never be able to experience." Its a little self actualization for the players.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:10 pm

Sambo I think the reason SA and NZ are more attractive is because they have the Currie Cup and New Zealand's NPC teams with real history to their name.

Western Force, Canterbury, Natal, Hawkes Bay, Transvaal etc are all really powerful names not to mention the NZ Maori.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:21 pm

I agree with that Stag, although some commited Aussie Rugby union fan might want to attack me, Australia is not really a rugby (union) nation. New Zealand has rugby in its DNA and South Africa eat sleep and breath rugby, while Australia has too many other sports(Aussie Rules, Rugby League and even Soccer Shocked ) which takes away an impact similar to New Zealand or South Africa. I dont know why but I feel its the "Lions are coming" is the talk in the length of NZ or SA whenever they have their tours, but in Australia, they don't have as much of an interest.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:23 pm

Oh no its not a Rugby Union nation. Its behind Aussie Rules and Rugby League at a minimum.

The one thing about Lions is the travelling support. Its an amazing experience. There is more demand than for World Cups.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:37 pm

red_stag wrote:Sambo I think the reason SA and NZ are more attractive is because they have the Currie Cup and New Zealand's NPC teams with real history to their name.

Western Force Province, Canterbury, Natal, Hawkes Bay, Transvaal etc are all really powerful names not to mention the NZ Maori.

Corrected thumbsup

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:47 pm

Oops exactly. Western Province.

Feckit its Friday evening I'll make as many mistakes as I like.

Cheers GoWales - have a guinness on me.

13 minutes to boozy time!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 31 Aug 2012, 4:04 pm

red_stag wrote:Oops exactly. Western Province.

Feckit its Friday evening I'll make as many mistakes as I like.

Cheers GoWales - have a guinness on me.

13 minutes to boozy time!!

You lucky lucky ******

Mutter mutter antibiotics mutter mutter
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 01 Sep 2012, 1:28 pm

Wades doing his case no harm so far.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 01 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

red_stag wrote:I think Christian Wade could bring a lot to the table.

After watching the game today. I think you are right. Wade and Varndell was a two man team today.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next