The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions???

+28
Geordie
SecretFly
thebluesmancometh
majesticimperialman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ScarletSpiderman
HERSH
sugarNspikes
gowales
John Cregan
reallybored
Dontheman
EnglishReign
mckay1402
Pot Hale
TJ1
Duigers
George Carlin
BigTrevsbigmac
red_stag
bluestonevedder
Bathite
SuperGuinness69
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
drsambo1928
Jimpy
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions??? - Page 2 Empty Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions???

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

This year is very special, a Lions Year...!

I don't think there are many if any players with their name already on the team sheet, not even in the Squad list.

Making the build up to the touring party announcement in April a very exciting time for us fans to debate and conjure our thoughts on predictions and permutations of who might or might not make the tour party/1st XV.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions???

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:28 pm

What was Wade thinking when he passed it in the try area, still a little beast. Fast, strong and has a great step, would like to see him up against JOC or AAC.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who should we have our eyes on for the Lions???

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

I dont know what he was thinking to be honest.

I Guess he thought that Varndell set him up with the first try, he would repay Varndell with giving him the second try.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:40 pm

Well he is unselfish by the looks of it, maybe too much though Shocked

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:41 pm

Varndell looked like he was calling for it, but yeah I can only assume it was "payback" for the assist Varndell had given him earlier...although in that case the coaches wouldve gone ballistic at Tom if he hadnt straightened and then passed.
In this case it was asking for trouble and the defender could even have had a shot at a tackle if the pass and catch hadnt been spot on.
Bit more imaginative than swan diving over the line I guess

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:44 pm

Regardless, Wade is a lookout for England first, lets not get too ahead of ourselves, if he has a good six nations(if he is picked) then why not have him on the lions, personally, i would have Bowe and North.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:55 pm

drsambo1928 wrote:Regardless, Wade is a lookout for England first, lets not get too ahead of ourselves, if he has a good six nations(if he is picked) then why not have him on the lions, personally, i would have Bowe and North.

Of course theres a ton of guys ahead of him ( including a certain "best winger in the world eva!!!1" who made his Beano debut looking back to his best) but that didnt stop Austin Healy going off on one. hes definitely hype player of the year at this point.
Based on last years though it will of course be Tim Mcvisser captaining the Lions to victory.
If I was going to pick one guy who 12 months ago most people wouldve said "o rly" if youd suggested him then yeah Wade. They will take 3/4 wingers, there can be injuries ....lets not forget Monye somehow ended up with Lions caps. Id also cite Tuilagi as an example of how fast a kid can be bought through... he'd only played half a seasons worth of senior club games ( and one boxing match) when he became Englands best back at the world cup.

Having said that we will probably have written him off as useless and pointed out he cant tackle by mid season.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

Liam Williams has apparently done his selection a few favours today. George north also added to his credentials.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:51 pm

I'm going to tell you all who will be the bolter of the lions tour...

Tom Prydie!

There you go!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:15 pm

Big Phil Vickery.....

...but then again, I think someone somewheres told me he has just recently retired? Or maybe it's only a rumour.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm

I think Launchbury could be a good bet. I think second row is wide open...and if he can keep up his impressive form from last season..which it appears he has...and makes the starting 6n team...who knows...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

I think the 606v2 rows over the back row selections will be epic. So many good players.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:42 pm

Defo...some big decisions to be made there...

Its obviously going to be

6 Haskell
7 Robshaw
8 Morgan

Very Happy Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:00 am

Couple of things from Gatland:

Firstly hes warned French based players that he'd expect them to miss the T14 final if they wanted to come on the Lions tour and their team had made it there. That'll go smoothly with their employers Im sure. Not many its likley to be a problem for mind.
Hes also been in France watching Hook and Jenkins, not great shock mind.

Secondly hes stated that
I'm looking for guys who are tough and selected on form but are also good buggers as well. What I mean by that is take the disappointment and also add to the environment and enhance the team ethos and culture
So that Henson and Cipriani out straight away

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:02 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
red_stag wrote:I think Christian Wade could bring a lot to the table.

After watching the game today. I think you are right. Wade and Varndell was a two man team today.

You're joking aren't you? Varndell was, and still is, a lazy so and so.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:05 am

Gatts has also said that he wants to look at players with character. Andy Powell and Alan Quinlan for example.

Maybe The Hask™ is in with a shout

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Sep 2012, 4:12 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Couple of things from Gatland:

Firstly hes warned French based players that he'd expect them to miss the T14 final if they wanted to come on the Lions tour and their team had made it there. That'll go smoothly with their employers Im sure. Not many its likley to be a problem for mind.
Hes also been in France watching Hook and Jenkins, not great shock mind.

Secondly hes stated that
I'm looking for guys who are tough and selected on form but are also good buggers as well. What I mean by that is take the disappointment and also add to the environment and enhance the team ethos and culture
So that Henson and Cipriani out straight away

I really wouldn't be surprised if both those lads made the tour on merit.

It's a very open selection this time.

There are lots of very good players around the selection of the right tour party will be very hard.

I would love to see our rhoughts now compared to the final tour party?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:41 am

If hes looking at players he considers enhance playing culture and ethos what on earth makes you think hed pick either of them even if they did manage find form?
Yes of course the landscape will shift dramaticly between now and then, especially with injuries. But theres some players, like say Phil Vickery who will more likely be retiring this summer than going on a lions tour.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:20 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:If hes looking at players he considers enhance playing culture and ethos what on earth makes you think hed pick either of them even if they did manage find form?
Yes of course the landscape will shift dramaticly between now and then, especially with injuries. But theres some players, like say Phil Vickery who will more likely be retiring this summer than going on a lions tour.

Isn't the difference that Phill is very old and the other too not.

Phill would be very unlikely to make the tour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Sat 08 Sep 2012, 7:39 pm

Vickery will NEVER be a Lion again ad anyone speculating on that must be barking; his pathetic scrummaging cost us the series in 09

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by TropicalHotdog Sat 08 Sep 2012, 8:39 pm

mowgli,

Vickery did not cost the Lions the tour. No single player did that.

The ethos of team sports (and especially the Lions) is one of joint responsibility.

TropicalHotdog

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 08 Sep 2012, 11:32 pm

mowgli wrote:Vickery will NEVER be a Lion again ad anyone speculating on that must be barking; his pathetic scrummaging cost us the series in 09

Cracking chef mind

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 08 Sep 2012, 11:49 pm

The man will have enough time for cooking when he retires after the Lions trip.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Sun 09 Sep 2012, 12:31 am

TropicalHotdog wrote:mowgli,

The ethos of team sports (and especially the Lions) is one of joint responsibility.

you're right...it was him and Ronan.

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 09 Sep 2012, 6:56 am

mowgli wrote:
TropicalHotdog wrote:mowgli,

you're right...it was him and Ronan.

At least Keating has had the decency to retire.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:27 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote: But theres some players, like say Phil Vickery who will more likely be retiring this summer than going on a lions tour.

That would be a sad day when Phil hangs up hi boots Sad

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2