The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joke fights here we come!!

+51
Sidestep
Good Golly I'm Olly
Ent
Fernando
Collapse2005
ShockmasterV2
Pedro147
paperbag_puncher
eirebilly
Derbymanc
catchweight
3fingers
Cyril
DuransHorse
Eyetoldyouso
EX7EY
wheelchair1991
erictheblueuk
compelling and rich
Seanusarrilius
beshocked
LionsV2
smashingstormcrow
GunsGermsV2
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
rodders
JabMachineMK2
Nico the gman
spencerclarke
TRUSSMAN66
Mochyn du
Mr Bounce
Rodney
CallMeBenji
Kingshu
hazharrison
huw
owen10ozzy
melv500
BoxingFan88
ONETWOFOREVER
marty2086
Hammersmith harrier
Atila
mobilemaster8
Scottrf
milkyboy
AdamT
Herman Jaeger
Dylan1979
TheSquaredCircle
55 posters

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Joke fights here we come!! - Page 16 Empty Joke fights here we come!!

Post by TheSquaredCircle Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 23:34

First topic message reminder :

So it's confirmed.....mayweather vs Conor McGregor.
The lay public and mostly MMA fans will be most enthused by this fight. I think it's the start of a WWE style entertainment farce. People will be going crazy on social media about the legitimacy of this fight and how it's the greatest thing to ever happen. The reality is that it is chalk and cheese fighting......might as well pair Andy Murray up with Freddy flintoff for the WBA belt. The spanner in the works could be mayweather along lay off and age. Is this a horrendous scam fight or should we be excited that boxing is reaching even more platforms?

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Joke fights here we come!! - Page 16 Empty Re: Joke fights here we come!!

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 17:18

as a betting man you could have made a lot of money betting on mayweathers stable last night bet an aggregate bet of tabiti to win, jack to win, davis to win and Mayweather and you would get decent odds and was pretty much obvious they would all win.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 17:46

Muscular-mouse wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Easy fight for Mayweather. McGregor displayed no ring intelligence and (more surprisingly) little power.

As has been said, the easiest fight Mayweather has had in quite some time. And he gets a neat cheque and reaches a half century of victories.

Was it the easiest fight? stats show connor to be one of the hardest fights floyd has faced

Yes, easiest fight he has had in ages.

Evident from the first minute that McGregor didn't have the power to hurt Mayweather. From then, it was a case of waiting for McGregor to gas, and then finish him off.

Simple and effective.

PS: Stats also show that this was an easy fight for Mayweather (compared to others) in terms of landing punches; particularly power punches.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 17:55

Mcgregor's lack of power was surprising, I doubt Mayweather brushes off that uppercut so easily from a proper boxer.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 18:04

Yes I couldn't believe the lack of power as well. Boxers are just far more conditioned to hold a shot.

McGregor was at least 16 pounds heavier and he couldn't dent Floyd. Mayweather has a good chin, but A supposed big hitter that walks around at 170, should have the power to rattle him.

Great pay day for both, but I hope this stops these crossover fights for now.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 18:09

Duty281 wrote:
Muscular-mouse wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Easy fight for Mayweather. McGregor displayed no ring intelligence and (more surprisingly) little power.

As has been said, the easiest fight Mayweather has had in quite some time. And he gets a neat cheque and reaches a half century of victories.

Was it the easiest fight? stats show connor to be one of the hardest fights floyd has faced

Yes, easiest fight he has had in ages.

Evident from the first minute that McGregor didn't have the power to hurt Mayweather. From then, it was a case of waiting for McGregor to gas, and then finish him off.

Simple and effective.

PS: Stats also show that this was an easy fight for Mayweather (compared to others) in terms of landing punches; particularly power punches.

The stats shoud show it was an easy fight for Mayweather considering he was fighting someone making his pro debut. But what is worrying is that Mcgregor outperformed berto, pacquiao, guerrero, alvarez in landing more punches and receiving less punches.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 18:11

This guy is relentless isn't he, only someone who doesn't understand boxing would rely so heavily on stats.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 18:17

Lets be fair those who actually thought that McGregor was going to beat a seasoned unbeaten multiple world champion in his 1st professional boxing match are living in cloud cuckoo land.

McGregor didn't disgrace himself at all, he can hold his head high and lets be fair Mayweather isn't stupid he wouldn't have took the fight after 2years out if he thought there was the slightest chance of losing, Floyd earns a packet and mugs the public again clever boy.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 18:17

It's just nonsense. I actually can't even believe he's making posts like this.

The posts beforehand were bad enough. But this is taking the cake.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 19:02

I think McGregor exceeded expectations in terms of his boxing ability. The stats probably back that up.

But the flip side of that is his power looked non existant in a boxing ring and he clearly doesnt have the stamina to 12 rounds. Mayweather doesnt really score knock outs in boxing and McGregor was stopped by a much older and smaller Mayweather. Thats an important stat to acknowledge.

In the context of things, I thought McGregors performance was good. He managed to win a few rounds which was more than most of the boxing fraternity thought he would. I think he would be knocked out by any top 154lb boxer on that evidence though.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 20:27

I agree Catchweight and probably any top 147 fighter too.

Terence Crawford would also stop him. He did good for beginner, but he's levels behind the elite. Floyd did what he wanted, he was not concerned about Conor at all.

Floyd put on a show and to be fair, Conor played his part.

He needs to stick to mma and sort the fitness out. I would back Nate to beat him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 22:09

Haven't seen it, sounds like mcgregor did a little better than most expected so fair play.

Not many pro debutants have the time and money to prepare like mcgregor had, he was bigger and fighting a 40 year old who hadn't fought in 2 years... but really with all those adavantages there was only ever one result here... it's not enough to make up for years and years of elite level experience and a major talent.

Fair play to Conor for nicking a round or two, it was the best he could realistically achieve in my view

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 22:31

Watching I felt as though the only thing Maywather had to be concerned about was that mystical left. If rumours were true then Conor really did have a punchers chance. What persuaded me was watching the old Van Heerdan interviews directly after he sparred Conor. He acted star struck and was privileged to have been asked he help him box but when the reporter asked if Conors left was as hard as suggested, like Paulie, he said he couldn't really feel it. Then the reporter asked who Conor could beat and reeled off a list of decent welter names and Van Heerden, without any pause for thought went ' No.no.no.no.no.no...'. I take nothing away from Conor, he did well, but without KO power he was waaaay too green to ever win. I think a standard technical boxer that punches hard gets him out of there quicker than Floyd did. Bring on the Canelo GGG. I won't be betting on that.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 22:41

Milky watch It on youtube.

It's not a bad watch tbf.

I can't pick a Canelo v GGG winner. Will at the weigh in.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 23:13

I'll probably get round to it adam!

Good to see you dropping by duran... as for alvarez ggg, I think i was one of the few who gave canelo a chance before ggg jacobs... now sentiment has shifted a bit as ggg looked human albeit to a very different fighter than canelo.

I still think golovkin will have a bit too much, but expect it to be a really competitive fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 28 Aug 2017 - 7:48

Ok, just watched it. Mcgregor much better than I thought, decent movement, jab was a nuisance, reach from the southpaw stance was awkward, tried to use that size advantage and the switch hitting occasionally looked dangerous. He looked quite fast handed. On the downside head up in the air and terrible stamina, and mayweather seeed completely unfazed by his power.

He looked like if he stuck at it there's be the makings of a decent fighter.

Strange stuff to see mayweather walking someone down. He was a more aggressive fighter in his youth but it just seemed weird.... it was like watching a different fighter with floyds head on him. Hand and foot speed gone, it was like he'd been hired as a sparring partner for someone fighting Jc Chavez.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 28 Aug 2017 - 8:35

Cheers Milky. Had a bit of personal stuff going on last year so I've had less time but I was still reading the 606v2 board before big fights.

The size did strike me when they stood in the middle of the ring for the first time too. I think he could be decent as he seems to want to learn too. His post fight break down of where he went wrong, whisky in hand, shows he spotted Floyd's ability to change his style 3 times during the fight and stay composed at all times. Said he had one sparring partner that put his hands high and came forward and wished he'd had more time with him. I think Floyd, age 40, was always relying on the 0-0-0 vs the 49-0. He has young guys under his promotion with great promise, watches them spar, seeing them make so many early flaws and amateur mistakes in their game whilst they learn the trade, that they'd never win a title in their first 10 to 15 fights, let alone their first. That complete inexperience coupled with no real KO threat and he just knew. Every boxing pro and trainer said he'd gas too, despite being the younger, fresher guy. His style is too energy inefficient and he was in his first 3 x 12 3 minute round fight. I watched him against Diaz last week and knew if he dropped his hands like that against Floyd he wouldn't be let off with single shots.

I hope that's it for MMA vs boxing. It was fun but I do feel it's a little unfair that we have this amazing fight just around the corner and even boxing fans like me have been distracted by Floyd McGregor.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 28 Aug 2017 - 9:04

catchweight wrote:I think McGregor exceeded expectations in terms of his boxing ability. The stats probably back that up.

But the flip side of that is his power looked non existant in a boxing ring and he clearly doesnt have the stamina to 12 rounds. Mayweather doesnt really score knock outs in boxing and  McGregor was stopped by a much older and smaller Mayweather. Thats an important stat to acknowledge.

In the context of things, I thought McGregors performance was good. He managed to win a few rounds which was more than most of the boxing fraternity thought he would. I think he would be knocked out by any top 154lb boxer on that evidence though.

Agree on the stamina and agree that he didnt hurt Mayweather at all but I reckon that was mainly because he couldnt get to Mayweather. Its also easier to KO someone on the UFC because you wear them out with kicks to the legs, gut or liver etc until they are tired and then KO them.

I enjoyed the fight anyway and for what it was €25 wasnt a lot to pay. The fights on the under card were dire IMO.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 28 Aug 2017 - 10:17

Just to add Floyd carried himself impeccably throughout the build up and the fight. Id say it must have done a lot of good for his global popularity so fair deuce to him.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 28 Aug 2017 - 14:17

i thought it was pretty embarrassing that a elite level athlete in his prime gassed so badly against a 40 year old bloke who's not fought in couple of years. now i know mayweather aint no regular 40 year old but what was magregors game plan if he didnt have the stamina to last ten rounds in a fight that wasnt exactly electric in speed. magregors punching technique was very poor, he didnt sit down on his punches at all, so was never going to knock him out. he landed one decent shot of note with the uppercut but soon as mayweather walked through that then the fight was over.

i had mayweather to win on points, thought i was going to win a bit for a while till magregor tired so badly

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 28 Aug 2017 - 14:46

Compelling, at elite level even Mo Farah isn't getting through 12 rounds of boxing if the other guy can make him work. It was understood that fitness wasn't the issue, it was experience of energy conservation, exerting motional energy, controlling pace, riding out tough patches. Again, Van Heerdens coach actually said Conor isn't a good enough liar to look comfortable when he's tired, he'd breath hard and Floyd would latch onto that. It's not Conors fitness, it's his boxing fitness that let him down.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 8:35

if you gave me 200 mil and months to train at boxing i may not become a decent boxer but one thing you can be sure of is i could at least get fit enough for it. mo farah wouldn't have been gassing, he may well have been knocked out but he wouldnt have been blowing like connor was regardless. mayweather only forced the pace from later on and it was hardly a relentless barrage.

connor came across as very nervous to me and expended a lot of nervous energy. he reminded me of the small dog that has to bark at everyone to prove he's not nervous with his antics. not sure it was his boxing fitness as on the rare occasion he's been taken in to latter rounds in mma his conditioning has looked suspect also

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 9:02

compelling and rich wrote:if you gave me 200 mil and months to train at boxing i may not become a decent boxer but one thing you can be sure of is i could at least get fit enough for it. mo farah wouldn't have been gassing, he may well have been knocked out but he wouldnt have been blowing like connor was regardless. mayweather only forced the pace from later on and it was hardly a relentless barrage.

connor came across as very nervous to me and expended a lot of nervous energy. he reminded me of the small dog that has to bark at everyone to prove he's not nervous with his antics.  not sure it was his boxing fitness as on the rare occasion he's been taken in to latter rounds in mma his conditioning has looked suspect also

I doubt you would have lasted 2 rounds. Takes a lot of balls to do what McGregor did and back himself. Yep he came up well short but he didn't disgrace himself at all.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 9:15

mayweather didn't throw a punch in the first 3 rounds so id back myself to get past that at least Laugh

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 10:20

compelling and rich wrote:mayweather didn't throw a punch in the first 3 rounds so id back myself to get past that at least Laugh

Id say he would knock you out in the first round. You arent an athlete. Mayweather didnt throw a punch because he saw McGregor as a threat (punchers chance) and was waiting for him to burn himself out. I dont think Mayweather would be worried about you at all and he would just go straight for the KO.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 10:56

you know nothing about me Laugh

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 11:12

Mayweather didn't see Mcgregor as a threat at all.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 13:30

I gave myself a metaphorical pat on the back for not paying into it at all, or spending any money on booze if I got the chance to watch it anywhere for free. I actually feel it was an achievement. It was impossible to avoid the hype and the forces to suck you in to it were very strong. Yet I resisted!

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 16:35

compelling and rich wrote:you know nothing about me Laugh

You really expect me to believe that a guy on a forum is going to last more than three rounds against Floyd Mayweather? I doubt it very much. I have gone to a few white collar boxing fights and there are always those hero guys who think they are going to be the next Rocky but when they get into the ring they are panting like mad after the first round. Id place you firmly into that category. Full of shoite.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 17:15

You think sportsmen don't post on forums? Lee Westwood and Rory Mcilroy used to drop by the bbc golf board. Who's to say compelling and rich might be Carl Froch.

The joys of anonymity... the only person we ever 'outed' was coxy who it turned out was a legend in his own household.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 17:22

You can run as much as you like but no one can prepare for a 12 round boxing match if they haven't boxed before (especially, in only five months).

Energy conservation is key - that only comes with experience. Something a novice like Mcgreggor (or Mo Farrah!?) doesnt have.

Only chance Mcgreggor would have to prepare for that would be sparring all the time, butbthat would have taken its toll physically. He'd have to do it against 3 to 6 quality sparring partners, each coming in fresh after 2 or 4 rounds, and all pushing him hard for the duration.

However, I have a feeling Mcgreggor is a confidence fighter, therefore this method was avoided. His team probably thought going in confident would give him a better chance of winning.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 19:38

I'm Audley Harrison! Yes it's really me!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 22:25

Fingers summed up my point better than I did.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 22:27

Haha you sound almost proud to announce that. How's your drawing board?

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 22:33

On the same pile as Audleys

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:19

Good riddance to Floyd his reign should be remembered as something of a 'dark age' for boxing:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.boxingnews24.com/2017/03/floyd-mayweather-fight-keith-thurman/amp/

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:21

Herman Jaeger wrote:Good riddance to Floyd his reign should be remembered as something of a 'dark age' for boxing:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.boxingnews24.com/2017/03/floyd-mayweather-fight-keith-thurman/amp/

I agree Herman. Terrible fighter, with no good names on his padded record!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:28

Good old Boxingnews24! A place where a 'journalist' doesn't even need to reread their own work before publishing such sentences as "Thurman and Garcia could had acted greedy toward the fans and reject fighting in primetime television..."

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:31

AdamT wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Good riddance to Floyd his reign should be remembered as something of a 'dark age' for boxing:

Is Floyd Mayweather ever going to stop ducking Keith Thurman?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:33

Herman Jaeger wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Is Floyd Mayweather ever going to stop ducking Keith Thurman?
Luckily for you, in decades to come nobody will know Mayweather because he didn't fight Keith Thurman...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:36

Is Mayweather ever going to start ducking Thurman?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:36

Thurman is the only welterweight today who can beat Mayweather and Mayweather knew it top ten do me a favour

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:38

He'll soon have ducked Frankie Gavin as well at this rate.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:39

Yeah Frankie Gavin best welterweight in the world I see the comparison

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:40

Keith Thurman is the second best boxer on the planet after Sergey Kovalev.

Hardly surprised Mayweather retired just to duck him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:42

Top 30 Floyd no more just wouldn't take on the real challenges

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:42

Did any of you guys see how devastating Thurman was vs Garcia among others?

I honestly think he would beat Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray in their pomp. He is such a supreme talent, with a resume of super names.

Anthony Joshua bulked up to Heavyweight to avoid Keith Thurman!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:43

Herman you really know your stuff, clinging to the words of Boxingnews24 shows you to be a true boxing aficionado.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:46

AdamT wrote:Did any of you guys see how devastating Thurman was vs Garcia among others?

I honestly think he would beat Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray in their pomp. He is such a supreme talent, with a resume of super names.

Anthony Joshua bulked up to Heavyweight to avoid Keith Thurman!

Didn't he damage his shoulder in Garcia fight or aggravate existing injury had built a good lead so went into cruise control?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:47

LionsV2 wrote:Herman you really know your stuff, clinging to the words of Boxingnews24 shows you to be a true boxing aficionado.

Why is it so hard for you to accept your idol ducked Thurman?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 10:48

Herman Jaeger wrote:Thurman is the only welterweight today who can beat Mayweather and Mayweather knew it top ten do me a favour

Tell me this. Mayweather has been semi retired for years, and had one fight where he fought a novice for hundreds of millions. Would taking a Thurman fight make sense?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next