Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark on Fri 16 Jun 2017, 3:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

He came across very poor as did fellow lib Clegg with his constant sniping at the Brexit issue.
Good riddance to both.Libs may well be a non entity now.
Tories have to proceed with caution now and build up some confidence again.

Our fire guy at work is telling us today that they really should have gone for a full evacuation at an early stage but that runs right against all previous policy putting residents and fire staff in potentially greater danger.In Blackadder terms it would have been going 'over the top'

dynamark

Posts : 1107
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down


Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 9:48 am

super_realist wrote:
westisbest wrote:
beninho wrote:Fuk me your boring. And clearly stupid. If you cant differentiate between different people, just lump them under groups and titles.

I would like to ask what you call muslim or any other religious people at your work? Has hr not caught up with you yet?

Just curious super realist, do you say these things to peoples faces, or are happy to hide behind the internet?
I say, just curious.

You seem to be misunderstanding me. I've no problem if people want to believe stupid things providing they keep it to themselves.

If however someone tries to proselytise to me, or if they seek special conditions or influence policy (e.g. taxation, marriage, abortion etc) for their ridiculous beliefs then yes, I give them both barrels.

Now I am confused, because you seem to just slate religion and all religious people, you call all Muslims "Carpet Sniffers" and Christians " Bible Bashers" whether these people have any link to you in any way. You decry golfers for mentioning their faith, yet these people have no impact on you or your life in any way imaginable. Rev. Speith I think is the term used because he has occasional mentioned faith, has he tried to seek special conditions or influence policy or proselytise you in any way?.

You clearly have a problem with people that have different views to yourself. Whether thats the Sunday worshippers or the outright preachers.

Personally I have no issues with you having your views, but then I am a liberal person, and have no issue with people having whatever view they have, as long as it does not cross into illegal acts. I just find your views no far different to those of the overly religious. Both pretty extreme in a world when most people are pretty centrist.

beninho

Posts : 3379
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 10:19 am

Yes, I can still laugh at them despite agreeing they can hold those beliefs. Just as I laugh at people who follow astrology or homeopathy or who think they've been abducted by aliens.

I wouldn't mention these people were they not exposing their stupidity (i.e. Rev Spieth denying science in favour of a myth) or Zach Johnson thanking god for a win (but not blaming him for a missed cut)

I care a bit more than whether they can have views as long as they aren't illegal. Do you for instance not see the problem with religious groups trying to influence things like stem cell research, gay marriage, education, taxation etc? How can you sanction the religious trying to determine what a woman can do with her body like in NI?

I've no problem if they just behaved like the book club they actually are, but making concessions for fairy tales is the problem. How could I object to them if they didn't try to interfere?

As for me being extreme, how exactly? I simply don't want fairy tales to interfere with how the rest of us live. How is that extreme and not just logic?

I have no problem with a different view, but should that view be ridiculous like religion AND it tries to influence society that's when I have a problem. Why don't you?

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 10:40 am

Why dont I?

Because I don't have extreme anti religious views. There is plenty of things I do not like about some peoples religious views, but there is probably more that I have no real issues with.

I believe in a woman's right to choose, and am against people that disagree with that on religious grounds. But it would appear to be a minority of people that are against abortion, even in religious circles.

I honestly believe that if someone brings up anti religious views or makes fun of people with religious views on a seemingly daily basis, that is extreme. I think you have extreme views compared to the vast majority of people that I have ever met in my life.  

Questioning why people do not think the same as you as similar to people of faith questioning why others do not believe the same as them.

I quite like being a genuine respectful person.

beninho

Posts : 3379
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 11:22 am

Diggers wrote:Not sure the church are any worse than various show biz  groups, football clubs, rugby clubs, orphanages. So many stories of disgusting men corrupting and abusing kids. Fairly sick society we live in really, or certainly has been in past decades.

I think we just have to admit that men abuse children regardless of the organisation they belong to.
avatar
McLaren

Posts : 13366
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 11:25 am

Super

I can't really work out where you are going on this thread and what point you are trying to make. Everyone is agreeing that there should be no religious intrusion into government policy and no special treatment given to religious organisations.

The only further argument you seem to be making is the right to use what could easily be considered Islamophobic language.
avatar
McLaren

Posts : 13366
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 11:48 am

McLaren wrote:
Diggers wrote:Not sure the church are any worse than various show biz  groups, football clubs, rugby clubs, orphanages. So many stories of disgusting men corrupting and abusing kids. Fairly sick society we live in really, or certainly has been in past decades.

I think we just have to admit that a small minority of men abuse children regardless of the organisation they belong to.  
Fixed it for you. Can we be a little less sweeping with our statements do you think?
avatar
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7336
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 2:12 pm

beninho wrote:Why dont I?

Because I don't have extreme anti religious views. There is plenty of things I do not like about some peoples religious views, but there is probably more that I have no real issues with.

I believe in a woman's right to choose, and am against people that disagree with that on religious grounds. But it would appear to be a minority of people that are against abortion, even in religious circles.

I honestly believe that if someone brings up anti religious views or makes fun of people with religious views on a seemingly daily basis, that is extreme. I think you have extreme views compared to the vast majority of people that I have ever met in my life.  

Questioning why people do not think the same as you as similar to people of faith questioning why others do not believe the same as them.

I quite like being a genuine respectful person.

So you're happy to have religion dictate your laws, education, who pays taxes etc? Great. That's my only beef about religion, that and the fact it's nonsensical, unscientific rubbish.

Try telling the women of NI that only a minority are against abortion, appears Stormont has bought into the sway of the religious, and that's all that matters in regards to whether they can get one.


Last edited by super_realist on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 2:19 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I can't really work out where you are going on this thread and what point you are trying to make.  Everyone is agreeing that there should be no religious intrusion into government policy and no special treatment given to religious organisations.

The only further argument you seem to be making is the right to use what could easily be considered Islamophobic language.

Mac, the point is that we pander to religion with this fake "respect" for what is to all intents and purposes  a fairy tale book club. Would you respect a book of people who believed in Peter Pan and afford them special treatment?

They don't command respect, and as such shouldn't get any.

Consider it islamophobic if you like, but there is no reason why Islam or any other religion ought to be treated respectfully or with deference or shouldn't have the urine extracted from it. It should be treated with the same disdain as we do astrology or alchemy. The number of people who believe it doesn't mean we should give them special dispensation or treatment.

This all stemmed from whether or not terrorist events were reported fairly.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 2:45 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:Why dont I?

Because I don't have extreme anti religious views. There is plenty of things I do not like about some peoples religious views, but there is probably more that I have no real issues with.

I believe in a woman's right to choose, and am against people that disagree with that on religious grounds. But it would appear to be a minority of people that are against abortion, even in religious circles.

I honestly believe that if someone brings up anti religious views or makes fun of people with religious views on a seemingly daily basis, that is extreme. I think you have extreme views compared to the vast majority of people that I have ever met in my life.  

Questioning why people do not think the same as you as similar to people of faith questioning why others do not believe the same as them.

I quite like being a genuine respectful person.

So you're happy to have religion dictate your laws, education, who pays taxes etc? Great. That's my only beef about religion, that and the fact it's nonsensical, unscientific rubbish.


Im 37 years old.  I am unaware of any laws that I abide which have been dictated by the church, in actual fact it would seem opposite, we have sunday trading, gay marriage, same sex adoptions, more equal opportunities, I've seen people in court over refusing to bake a "gay" cake or allowing Gays into a B&B. If anything it would seem that the church has decreased in its influence in the UK massively within the last 20 years.

Education, we had RE classes, they discussed all religions, and only through the first 3 years of secondary school, I see no impact of the church on my experiences of education. Would even say that with section 28 was removed from the statute books as another sign of diminishing religious interefernce in education.

Taxes, there seems to be an issue with tax status for religious groups, I am not an expert, but you see enough about massive companies dodging taxes its probably a minor irrelevance.

Regards to the laws in Northern Ireland, I stick with my point that anyone against abortion is wrong, but it would appear to be a minority of christians. Issues due to a group in NI is not the norm throught the UK. People should be able to distinguish difefrences between people and groups.

beninho

Posts : 3379
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 2:52 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:Why dont I?

Because I don't have extreme anti religious views. There is plenty of things I do not like about some peoples religious views, but there is probably more that I have no real issues with.

I believe in a woman's right to choose, and am against people that disagree with that on religious grounds. But it would appear to be a minority of people that are against abortion, even in religious circles.

I honestly believe that if someone brings up anti religious views or makes fun of people with religious views on a seemingly daily basis, that is extreme. I think you have extreme views compared to the vast majority of people that I have ever met in my life.  

Questioning why people do not think the same as you as similar to people of faith questioning why others do not believe the same as them.

I quite like being a genuine respectful person.

So you're happy to have religion dictate your laws, education, who pays taxes etc? Great. That's my only beef about religion, that and the fact it's nonsensical, unscientific rubbish.




Im 37 years old.  I am unaware of any laws that I abide which have been dictated by the church, in actual fact it would seem opposite, we have sunday trading, gay marriage, same sex adoptions, more equal opportunities, I've seen people in court over refusing to bake a "gay" cake or allowing Gays into a B&B. If anything it would seem that the church has decreased in its influence in the UK massively within the last 20 years.

Education, we had RE classes, they discussed all religions, and only through the first 3 years of secondary school, I see no impact of the church on my experiences of education. Would even say that with section 28 was removed from the statute books as another sign of diminishing religious interefernce in education.

Taxes, there seems to be an issue with tax status for religious groups, I am not an expert, but you see enough about massive companies dodging taxes its probably a minor irrelevance.

I would say that the impact of the church in the UK is very little.

Are you not aware of the impact the church/religion has in regards to abortion, education, politics (House of Lords) all whilst paying no tax? Yes, I'm delighted to see their influence most certainly on the wain, but we are still subject to their opinion, which is irrelevant.
In NI Abortion is still illegal, and it's the most religious part of the UK. Coincidence? Churches are still discriminating against women and are still arguing about gay marriage. They make the R&A look progressive.

You're right about taxes, the CofE sits on billions, pays nothing in tax but loves to moan about companies not paying enough tax. Glass houses?


super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by puligny on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 3:03 pm

Interesting amendment proposed to Queens speech- guaranteeing right to abortion for NI women through NHS! Might have to travel to England, but take that Arlene &Terri!

puligny

Posts : 1156
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 1:10 pm

Super

I think you know that I also don't think religion or its ideas should be given any respect or special consideration, but I don't understand repeating of language that is used by some people in an Islamophobic way. Using "carpet sniffer" isn't just a lack of respect or challenging of the religions claims, it is bigoted language. So why use it?
avatar
McLaren

Posts : 13366
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Be_the_ball on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 10:14 pm

The Foo Fighters ripping lumps out of Glastonbury, great band, great gig.

Be_the_ball

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Exiled Dub.

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 8:04 am

Mac, Bigoted mean intolerant of the beliefs of others. Referring to the stupid customs of an hilariously stupid belief in a comedic way is not bigoted. It's an observation and a comparison. Same way comedy parodies a "zeig heil" by pointing to the moustache.

However.....

Why would I be tolerant of a bad idea, and one which does nothing good that can't be done without it? I tolerate them holding their belief, nothing else. Doesn't mean those beliefs shouldn't be criticised, parodied or laughed at.

I presume you must walk out of every comedy show you've ever seen?

Stop fearing about hurting someones feelings Mac. All bad ideas and all stupid unfounded beliefs should be exposed, questioned and ridiculed. The only way to expose these beliefs as something worth not believing in is to expose how stupid they are, and ridicule is one of those ways.

You'd ridicule someone who believed the earth was flat, so why not ridicule someone for believing a sky zombie split the moon in half or who believes they should love kiddie fiddling prophet more than their own family. That's a harmful belief system and I won't, and don't have to be nice about it.

The hilarious and ironic thing is that you are EXACTLY the same with your dislike of the politics of the Tory party (or Garcia and your reference to "Pea-head", or Daily Mail for that matter). You repeatedly make disparaging remarks about that particular party because you don't agree with them. How are your comments about that party any different to what I have said about the customs and practices of a backward, discriminatory, outdated, unjustifiable, unscientific belief system? They aren't.

At the very least, political parties are open to change and persuasion.

If you're going to be holier than thou, try not to be a hypocrite on the other side of the coin eh?

Would I say it to a muslim? Probably not, because they've proven time and again they aren't adult enough to accept criticism. Does that mean they should be beyond criticism or ridicule? No.

Stop being offended on others behalf Mac.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by puligny on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 8:56 am

Sometimes being offended on behalf of others is what sets a liberal society apart from others. It's a proud tradition in the U.K., and long may it continue.

puligny

Posts : 1156
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:30 am

puligny wrote:Sometimes being offended on behalf of others is what sets a liberal society apart from others. It's a proud tradition in the U.K., and long may it continue.
Yes, that's how we maintained an empire for centuries... Whistle

pedro

Posts : 6220
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by puligny on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:07 am

Good point, well made. We've operated both sides of the fence, and still do - know which I prefer! As in my comment - "sometimes being offended .................."

puligny

Posts : 1156
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 2:52 pm

Super

You are still missing the point. I am not suggesting you don't use ridicule of comedy to challenge any idea but just make sure you don't do it with lazy stereotypes or bigotry.



Puligny

Spot on about a liberal society looking out for each other. I don't understand Supers stance of only worrying about what impacts him and not worrying about the fate of the others who share his society.
avatar
McLaren

Posts : 13366
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:24 am

McLaren wrote:Super

You are still missing the point.  I am not suggesting you don't use ridicule of comedy to challenge any idea but just make sure you don't do it with lazy stereotypes or bigotry.



Puligny

Spot on about a liberal society looking out for each other.  I don't understand Supers stance of only worrying about what impacts him and not worrying about the fate of the others who share his society.

Mac, I know your grasp of the English language is poor, so you should really try to understand that laughing at behaviour IS NOT BIGOTED.

I would be a bigot if I was INTOLERANT or expected them to have the same opinion as me in regards to their customs and hilarious behaviour. BUY A DICTIONARY.

I have never said their behaviour is wrong, only that it is STUPID. That is not bigotry.

Pointing out how stupid something is nothing to do with bigotry.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 9:04 am

Open qualifying today, anyone got any local players in the mix?

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 9:14 am

Sorry golf ? Yes a mates son is playing plus all the usual local suspects with high hopes who will be brought back to planet earth with a jolt.
Shadow chancellor back on form . Ridiculous and stupid comments about murder of fire victims.
The man should be shown the door next election at the latest.

dynamark

Posts : 1107
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 9:31 am

Lots of pipe dreamers from St.Andrews area too.

Disgraceful comments from McDonnel, however, as he was in government throughout the period he's talking about, by default he's a murderer.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 9:41 am

Aye, my doubles partner is at Frilford Heath today. Didn't have a great Club Champs Sat so not very hopeful but you never know.

JAS

Posts : 3050
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 55
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 9:56 am

Getting through the regional isn't that hard, usually level par or -1 does it. It's final that's the tough one.

Good to tell the grandkids about I suppose, even if you do a Maurice Flitcroft.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Davie on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:56 am

Good old Maurice - I spent many a happy hour at school gazing out of the window watching him hack it around the school playing fields

Davie

Posts : 7584
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 58
Location : Berkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:13 am

Just saw this... The trumpster has nailed an open
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/26/donald-trump-international-golf-links-course-scottish-open
avatar
MontysMerkin

Posts : 1590
Join date : 2013-03-26
Location : North Lincs

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:20 am

I think this was only a matter of time. Outstanding course, but probably will be picketed by professional protestors.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 12:08 pm

Crikey having looked through a few venues there's a few I know, only 2 from my club one at Frilford and one at Little Aston. My old 2nd club Wrag Barn has 5 entered a various venues. One or 2 might make final qualifying but can't see any making Birkdale, but there's no such thing as certainty in golf so you never know

JAS

Posts : 3050
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 55
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 12:42 pm

Super

I am surprised you don't have a crack at it?
avatar
McLaren

Posts : 13366
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:03 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Just saw this... The trumpster has nailed an open
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/26/donald-trump-international-golf-links-course-scottish-open
Pretty ridiculous to go courting controversy when there are superb courses all over Scotland. Why both to use that idiot's track?
avatar
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7336
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:17 pm

super_realist wrote:Open qualifying today, anyone got any local players in the mix?


I see another Final Qualifier was added, at Hollinwell. Good!

Would prefer also that the method of qualifying golfers from the PGA Tour was changed - adding more than Top 50 from owgr's, and going deeper in R2D & FedEx pts, eliminate the "top three if not already exempt" nonsense from certain dog-day tournaments. Can't imagine too many pros are playing those events just to get a crack at The Open. Offer more Final Qualifying places instead . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24476
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:37 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I am surprised you don't have a crack at it?

I'm not Scratch Mac, not yet anyway, but even if I was, not sure I'd embarrass myself in it.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Just saw this... The trumpster has nailed an open
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/26/donald-trump-international-golf-links-course-scottish-open
Pretty ridiculous to go courting controversy when there are superb courses all over Scotland. Why both to use that idiot's track?

If you looked into who owned most things in the world, you'd probably find something unsavoury.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:42 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

I am surprised you don't have a crack at it?

I'm not Scratch Mac, not yet anyway, but even if I was, not sure I'd embarrass myself in it.

Don't put yourself down, you'd be able to embarrass yourself anywhere.
avatar
MontysMerkin

Posts : 1590
Join date : 2013-03-26
Location : North Lincs

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:44 pm

drumroll

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:50 pm

I hope super one day qualifies for an Open at TOC as I'd like to see a player shoot multiple rounds of 63.

pedro

Posts : 6220
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:52 pm

Easy.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 2:35 pm

pedro wrote:I hope super Roller one day qualifies for an Open at TOC as I'd like to see a player shoot multiple rounds nines of 63.

Fixed it.

For me!

Roller_Coaster

Posts : 2302
Join date : 2012-06-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 4:51 pm

Kwini- Hollinwell is just a great great golf course.I shall be driving by tomorrow and will not be able to stop my car from turning in for a little look around.
Some lovely pics in the clubhouse of championships from way back probably the john player in 1958 or earlier car park full of Morris 8s.
Another great course that lack the infrastructure for modern touraments.

dynamark

Posts : 1107
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:37 pm

Yup dyna,
I remember when is was a semi-regular ET (or pre-ET) venue - always highly regarded, so was pleased to see it get the Final Qualie. Hope you get there to see it set-up for championship golf.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24476
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:45 pm

Damn, my 4bbb partner has just missed out with a 2 over 74 at Frilford, meanwhile our Country Champ has just missed out at Little Aston by 3. Of all the entries local to me it looks like only one has got through. Another one has had a complete head off at Remedy Oak by the looks of things.

JAS

Posts : 3050
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 55
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:55 pm

Our man shot level at Luffenham which is respectable but needed one under to get through.
I'm told he is going to concentrate on coaching now having spent a couple of years on Europro etc loosing money.Good lad but not quite good enough.

dynamark

Posts : 1107
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 6:01 pm

The standard of golf is ridiculously tough. All the guys I knew failed and the one who is the biggest egomaniac (with a reputation for cheating back in the day) and self loving anus in the club failed too, and only narrowly. Which makes it even funnier.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 6:06 pm

super_realist wrote: the one who is the biggest egomaniac (with a reputation for cheating back in the day) and self loving anus in the club failed too, and only narrowly.
So you DID have a crack at it super?

pedro

Posts : 6220
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 6:27 pm

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by puligny on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 8:42 am

Was involved in scoring for the Remedy qualifier. Some scores looked like they were qualifying for our roll up, and failing, but seriously there were some very good displays. Even those with big numbers on the day are good players, and they put themselves forward. Only one NR, but a few WDs before start including one 3 ball - players from Spain, Netherlands and Liverpool all pulled out leaving a 3 ball shaped hole in the field. Harry Ellis also withdrew, for obvious reasons.
Event won on -5 by Martin Rowher, South African playing Challenge Tour, and closely followed by Josh Hilliard -4, Am current England International. Play off of 5 for 3 spots on -1.
We had one h-I-1, on 13 for anyone who knows the course. Stood behind 9th green most of the day as that's where the scorers cabin was, we saw 5 consecutive 2s, the run being broken by 6th player in those two groups, who you've guessed was nearest the pin! Must have played easiest hole on the course.
One lad finished birdie birdie eagle, having driven 18th green. Again anyone who knows the course will experience a combination of surprise and admiration at that last feat. To the best of my knowledge he was the only one to try it yesterday, and told us he had done it twice in practice on Sunday. That finish put him +1 at a time we were predicting playoff at even!
Few chaps from Wrag Barn - are they yours JAS? Mixed fortunes, but all very pleasant. I reckon we had 4 surlys a few embarrassed, and the vast majority top lads, who enjoyed the day, and the course even when their scores didn't quite work out. Last fella to go out in playoff, missed short putt on 18, and first playoff hole to go straight through.
Good to see Jack Singh Brar, Am playing out of Remedy, who I think has exemption to final qualifying after a stellar year on fringes of Walker Cup, caddying for his younger brother yesterday. Looking forward to seeing how he does in European Am at Walton Heath later this week.
That's our 5 years done. It's been really good. Seen lots of young ams coming through, many of them coming back as pros, and some club, and minor tour pros, many of who are there or there about every year.

puligny

Posts : 1156
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:10 am

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Just saw this... The trumpster has nailed an open
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/26/donald-trump-international-golf-links-course-scottish-open
Pretty ridiculous to go courting controversy when there are superb courses all over Scotland. Why both to use that idiot's track?

If you looked into who owned most things in the world, you'd probably find something unsavoury.
Almost certainly true, but this is way too public and asking for trouble. Nonsensical decision. Still, about what I'd expect from the golfing world...
avatar
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7336
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:13 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Yup dyna,
I remember when is was a semi-regular ET (or pre-ET) venue - always highly regarded, so was pleased to see it get the Final Qualie. Hope you get there to see it set-up for championship golf.
Will definitely try to get to this - just round the corner from me and one of my favourite courses. Be interesting to see how some modern players cope with it.
avatar
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7336
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 1:47 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Just saw this... The trumpster has nailed an open
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/26/donald-trump-international-golf-links-course-scottish-open
Pretty ridiculous to go courting controversy when there are superb courses all over Scotland. Why both to use that idiot's track?

If you looked into who owned most things in the world, you'd probably find something unsavoury.
Almost certainly true, but this is way too public and asking for trouble. Nonsensical decision. Still, about what I'd expect from the golfing world...

From a purely golfing perspective I'd be really intrigued to see how the pro's would cope, especially in a "breeze". It is by some distance the most difficult course I've played in the uk.

JAS

Posts : 3050
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 55
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:05 pm

JAS wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Just saw this... The trumpster has nailed an open
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/26/donald-trump-international-golf-links-course-scottish-open
Pretty ridiculous to go courting controversy when there are superb courses all over Scotland. Why both to use that idiot's track?

If you looked into who owned most things in the world, you'd probably find something unsavoury.
Almost certainly true, but this is way too public and asking for trouble. Nonsensical decision. Still, about what I'd expect from the golfing world...

From a purely golfing perspective I'd be really intrigued to see how the pro's would cope, especially in a "breeze". It is by some distance the most difficult course I've played in the uk.

Expect Molinari to win with one hand behind his back. Straightness vital. (sorry Mac if that "offends" the LGBT(Q)) population.

super_realist

Posts : 22229
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum