The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG vs Canelo

+34
Dipper Brown
hazharrison
Mochyn du
Nathaniel Jacobs
Noble-Surfer
Derbymanc
SugarRayBray
eirebilly
jimdig
Good Golly I'm Olly
John Bloody Wayne
owen10ozzy
mobilemaster8
EX7EY
88Chris05
Nico the gman
hogey
TRUSSMAN66
LionsV2
Scottrf
Marlonz
Seanusarrilius
Herman Jaeger
catchweight
Atila
AZZJ44
Baby faced assassin
Mr Bounce
milkyboy
3fingers
kingraf
DuransHorse
CallMeBenji
AdamT
38 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

GGG vs Canelo - Page 3 Empty GGG vs Canelo

Post by AdamT Wed 30 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Now that the sideshow is out of the way, we have a serious fight just around the corner.

I have been watching both guys in their workouts and they are looking insane!

I said I find it hard to pick a winner. I still do, but I am leaning to GGG. Canelo is looking like a beast, but he might be too fired up. GGG just looks much more at ease, at least when he is being interviewed. No matter what I have said about Gennady, he is a very hard fighter to beat and he is obviously very focused for the biggest fight of his career.

Both guys are brilliant boxers and both guys have serious power. I just think GGG's experience and aura at 160 will give him a slight edge. Canelo is very tough, but I expect GGG to come from behind on the scorecards and stop a tiring Canelo very late.

Can't wait for this now and no doubt by the time this fight comes round, I could be leaning to Canelo. It's a great fight!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Canelo - Page 3 Empty Re: GGG vs Canelo

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:38 am

One fight from becoming the top welterweight in the world this is fact

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:42 am

hogey wrote:Got a feeling Alverez is going to dominate this fight and land heavy and often GGG's defence has looked very leaky in his recent fights. My bet is on him to either win a wide points decision or wear down and stop GGG late. I don't really mind which way it goes though as long as it lives up to the hype and serve us up a cracker.

If you think Canelo can crack GGG's chin there is real money to be made.  I fancy GGG but am looking at Canelo by stoppage at 17/2, or selected rounds, as a really enticing option.  A fair few respected bong trainers and fighters are saying Canelo by KO. I was thinking Canelo's only way to win was points, not so sure now. With Floyd v Connor there was only ever one winner, this is the opposite.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:43 am

And?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Yeah post Margo almost killed Miguel. Nearing retirement Oscar and weight drained Canelo

Just some of us wanted to see Floyd test his skills with some prime top five welters

Shame we never did and imo it hurts Floyd's 47 reign

Marg did almost kill Cotto in the first fight. Wonder why?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

Not enough dollars in fighting Thurman to tempt Mayweather. And he probably arrived too late when Mayweather was in semi retirement mode. Maybe if he was a Mexican.

But Mayweather was selective about who he fought and was never fussed about who the most worthy contender was.

Thurman may have caused an ageing Mayweather some problems the same as a few other of the later arrived welters. Most likely a dull Mayweather points win though.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:52 am

LionsV2 wrote:And?

Floyd knew his onions alright got to say that for him

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

AdamT wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Yeah post Margo almost killed Miguel. Nearing retirement Oscar and weight drained Canelo

Just some of us wanted to see Floyd test his skills with some prime top five welters

Irrelevant to the debate, Adam

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:56 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Irrelevant to the debate, Adam

How? He almost killed him with weapons lol

What happened in the rematch?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:56 am

Don't get the not enough dollars argument either

Floyd had that contract

Would have got 32m whoever he faced?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:58 am

He gets a slice of ppv buys as well.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm

Incidentally how did that contract work?

If Floyd had lost would the contract have become null and void?

Or would they still have had to cough up even if he lost all the remaining fights on the contract?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:13 pm

No idea. All confidential I would imagine.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:22 pm

Was terrible that contract I hope we never see anything like that again

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:38 pm

Terrible in what way?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:40 pm

Yes pretty rubbish aside from the Alvarez fight. Although im not sure things would have been any different without the deal. It was pretty par for the course for Mayweather in terms of opponent selection.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:40 pm

LionsV2 wrote:Terrible in what way?

Terrible because he used it to pick and dodge opponents.

He chose lesser guys and champs like, Canelo, Maidana and Pacquaio. He should of fought Bradley, Porter and Thurman.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:43 pm

I've noticed that Canelo has a rematch contract if he loses where's GGG does not. Also Canelo is getting the Lions Share of the ppv money.

I reckon that with a contract like that, team ginger cannot be that confident of taking this.

I am still going for Golovkin to bust up Alvarez, cut him and stop him by the end of the 10th.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:45 pm

Pretty standard contract for the A-side to be honest; Klitschko, Mayweather, Cotto, Martinez, Hopkins all had rematch clauses in their contracts.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 16 Sep 2017, 12:07 pm

I take GGG on points or by late stoppage, Alvarez may test Golovkin's chin but I definitely think GGG's has got the whiskers to take it, I fancy a Golovkin systematic beat down.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 16 Sep 2017, 1:16 pm

Yeh, superior jab and footwork do it for me. I think canelo is tough enough and good enough to go late. Late stoppage or points for golovkin is the % call for me. Should be some good action along the way.

Bearing in mind Alvarez got the nod from one judge against Floyd, golovkin might need the stoppage.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 16 Sep 2017, 1:21 pm

Golovkin on points seems to be the percentage call but do think Alvarez will surprise a few people with how competitive he'll be throughout the fight; the superior work rate of GGG will be the deciding factor.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 16 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm

Against a guy who hits like golovkin an early blow out is always possible, but It would be a surprise to me if alvarez doesn't make it competitive, hammy. He's much better against guys he doesn't have to go looking for. It should bring the best out of him. I just think that best is not going to be quite good enough unless the years catch up with ggg.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 16 Sep 2017, 2:20 pm

There's still a lot of unknowns with GGG; in my mind Alvarez has fought the better opposition albeit scrapping past light middleweights in and around that weight class whilst Golovkin has blown away some decent middleweights.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 16 Sep 2017, 2:28 pm

Golovkin on points. Still not convinced that Alvarez moves his head enough to replicate what Jacobs did in making Golovkin look more beatable than normal. Also think Golovkin will respect Canelo's power as he did Lemieux, and look to soften him up gradually behind his heavy jab rather than jumping in recklessly like he was against Jacobs and Brook.

As others have said, the key to beating Golovkin might well be making him fight in reverse and backing him up for a change, rather than vice versa. Nobody since Ouma has been able to do that - but Alvarez looks huge and legitimately solid at 160 now, so who knows?

I think Alvarez will go the distance, but think he fights in bursts too much to get a (fair) decision. Hopefully the high-profile nature and magnitude of the fight will keep the judges on their best behaviour.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 16 Sep 2017, 2:37 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Golovkin on points. Still not convinced that Alvarez moves his head enough to replicate what Jacobs did in making Golovkin look more beatable than normal. Also think Golovkin will respect Canelo's power as he did Lemieux, and look to soften him up gradually behind his heavy jab rather than jumping in recklessly like he was against Jacobs and Brook.
I'd be surprised if this wasn't the plan chris... I think he'll see his jab as a clear advantage and use it relentlessly. There's nothing in it from a reach perspective but ggg's footwork and distance judgement always seem to make him look like he has a big reach and Alvarez kind of the opposite.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sat 16 Sep 2017, 4:33 pm

Managed to get a 2/1 on GGG by KO so stuck a bit on that. Plan on sticking more on GGG just to win as the more I play this through my mind the more I see Golovkin being consistently on Canelo and finding him with shots Canelo hasn't tasted before.

I think if Canelo wanted breaks in past fights he's going to want them even more when he's fighting at a heavier weight and getting hit harder by a guy that fights 3 minutes a round. To get GGG off him Canelo has got to make Golovkin respect his own power and despite the size Canelo has put on I can't see it. The bigger man, unbeaten, hits like a truck with a steel chin and excellent boxing skills, pedigree and experience should have most in his favour. I rate Canelo but I'm not sold he's at the very elite level and I'm very unsure he is at middleweight.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:12 pm

Do we know what time ggg vs canelo is likely to start UK time?

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:34 am

Halfway through, I have GGG up by two, Canelo could ostensibly have taken the fifth which would make it dead even though
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:37 am

That round little bit clearer. 5-2 GGG. Reckon he could stop Canelo late if he keeps the pressure on.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:38 am

Could of course be 4-3 ggg, but I can't see a scorecard which has Canelo winning
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:41 am

Turns out having a 345-5 amateur record means you're semi decent at the skill aspect of boxing. Who'd have thought? 6-2 GGG
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:42 am

Where the Frak is everyone else?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:47 am

I miss John Bloody Wayne. Canelo looks gassed. Dont think Canelo would have beat Jacobs. Hopefully GGG rematches Jacobs because that was his only real test.
Anyway. Good round. 7-2 GGG. Lederman has it the same I think so its not just the weed I'm on
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:48 am

Have GGG winning this handily. Maybe he is just too big for Canelo. It's been one sided since round 3.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:50 am

Think that was a Canelo round. 7-3 GGG, but if you try really hard you could probably give Canelo the last two, so 6-4 is plausible. 5-5 if you gave him the fifth
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:55 am

11th was GGG easily. Honestly think 6-5 down is the absolute best you can give the Red one. More likely GGG 7-4 or 8-3
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:56 am

Golovkin has strangled Canelo with his relentless pressure and should pick up a decision win. I do think Golovkin looks to be past his best though. Hes able to exert the pressure and manouver his opponent around the ring but hes not as sharp or devastating with his punching when he has his opponent in position. I think Golovkin at 2/3 years ago would have stopped Alvarez on the ropes round 8/9/10.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:00 am

Disgraceful judging but was always possible to happen. Sets up the rematch which is what the money men wanted.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:01 am

118-110 Canelo? Uhm okay
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:02 am

I don't know why I still bother with this sport
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:05 am

You have to laugh. Every time Alvarez fights he has a rigged card. Even the Mexicans are booing this one. 118-110 is not even bothering to be subtle. Up there with his draw with Mayweather.

Boxing scores another own goal

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:09 am

Yeh....I'm done. No more boxing for me. what a Frak joke. Money talks no matter what. Adalaide bird...what a disgrace.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:18 am

The draw will most likely shaft Golovkin on the purse for a rematch also.

Mad to see Alvarez getting booed by the Mexican on their National holiday afterwards.

Cant stand what Canelo represents in boxing. Everything which sucks about the sport.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:20 am

114-114 is probably best case scenario for Canelo, but you've got to give him the rub on basically every close round there was. How the hell can you give him 10 rounds.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:21 am

Shock horror....ridiculous scoring once again. Every single time boxing can come off great it does it's very best to screw itself over.

It tells you everything that the Mexicans are booing Canelo in the interview. If the power didn't surprise you Canelo and it wasn't all that then why didn't you force the action better. Haha...he thinks he won 7-8 rounds easily! Oh my days!

Just horrific; Frak Canelo....make him go fight in Kazakh!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:26 am

What a coincidence RAF, I hadn't been on these boards in years but thought I'd come by and check my sanity after that Frak ludicrous heist.

Glad to see it's not just me. Frak boxing.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:35 am

kingraf wrote:114-114 is probably best case scenario for Canelo, but you've got to give him the rub on basically every close round there was. How the hell can you give him 10 rounds.

Adelaide Byrd gave Golovkin the 4th and the 7th - everything else Canelo.

One of the all time great, pound for pound best bad scorecards.

Event the 115-113 card to Golovkin was stingy.

The bookies must have made a mint

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:40 am

It is funny I have to say watching the tv guys squirm after giving this the big build up about how this is real boxing and a really great fight for the ages and not like the Mayweather / McGregor exhibition. And then boxing duly obliges with the monster own goal.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:43 am

One of those decisions that will just stick in my craw..

Even now looking back, even the draw requires you to be extra kind to Canelo & give him every single round where the loosest argue can be made for him. Logic and rule of percentages would suggest that just wouldn't happen...let alone twice across 3 scorecards..

Incredibly Byrd has been at the center of scoring controversies a number of time...in both boxing & mma....one is starting to think her connections may well be keeping her in a job.

I know plenty on here criticise and laugh MMA/UFC out of the door....but boxing does everything possible to ensure it stays behind it's rival combat sport. It took two years too long to even make this ''BIG FIGHT''...then it end's up going like that. Pathetic

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Sep 2017, 6:09 am

The bogus Canelo cards is a consistent theme. Nearly all his major fights that have gone to decision contain a scorecard or two thats leaves one in no doubt as to who's side the judges are on. Cotto, Trout, Mayweather, Lara etc. Basically one would need to outclass Canelo from start to finish in order to gain a decision (even then Mayweather only got a draw on one card).

The 118-110 card of Byrd is up there with the Cynthia Ross draw with Mayweather. So incomprehensive and clearly wrong that it would be incompetent even for the purpose of rigging a fight (if you sought any sense of subtlety).

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next