The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deliberate knock downs

+15
Luckless Pedestrian
Pete330v2
RugbyFan100
thebandwagonsociety
Scottrf
LordDowlais
hawalsh
marty2086
Heaf2
VinceWLB
Rugby Fan
LondonTiger
asoreleftshoulder
TJ
eirebilly
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Deliberate knock downs - Page 3 Empty Deliberate knock downs

Post by eirebilly Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Last night in the Exeter - Glasgow match, Glasgow were on the attack and an Exeter player deliberately knocked the ball down (went backwards) when if the pass had gone to hand, Glasgow would have scored. Had the ball travelled forward last night, could the Exeter player have been penalised, shown a card and possibly have a penalty try awarded for this act?

Is there such a difference in which way the ball goes? It seems that a deliberate knockdown with the ball going backwards is acceptable but a deliberate knockdown with the ball going forward is a penalty and a card.

To me, I see no difference in these as either way the ball bounces could result in potentially stopping try scoring opportunities.

Would really appreciate if someone (with a lot more knowledge of rugby laws than myself) could explain the difference.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Deliberate knock downs - Page 3 Empty Re: Deliberate knock downs

Post by LordDowlais Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:It's this:

I can see Eirebilly's point. It is cynical but within the laws unfortunately.

Deliberate knock downs - Page 3 KVtSlil

Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

Now if it was in the opposite direction, then there would be controversy.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:It's this:

I can see Eirebilly's point. It is cynical but within the laws unfortunately.

Deliberate knock downs - Page 3 KVtSlil

Thanks bud.

Watching it again, it actually isn't as bad as I thought it was when I first saw it. Not a slap down but a genuine attempt to intercept the pass in my mind.

I hate getting proven wrong furious
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:17 am

Accept it. It happens to the best of us occasionally

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf2 Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:19 am

I was going to say given he regained possession legally I was struggling to see what was wrong Hug

Heaf2

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:48 am

I think that's good defending, especially given the ground he makes up to get back into position to disrupt.

There was a reasonable discussion point though - let's take the Zebo example and hypothetically say instead of the ball bouncing down and slightly forward, it had come off the underside of his hand/arm and gone down and slightly backwards (rare, but can happen for a player facing forwards). Now, his intention was not to win back the ball (i.e. he isn't legitimately looking for an interception or to play the ball back towards a team mate) but purely to disrupt the attacking play, and it would just have been a bit of luck that the ball did not go forwards. The intent would have been the same but a bit of luck in how the ball struck his outstretched arm would have made the play legal, at least as the Laws currently stand.

I'm not sure that it is something that the refs can or should be asked to rule on, as it is somewhat subjective as to whether the act is deliberate (indeed, I think there are times players are legitimately looking for an intercept when they get penalised for a deliberate knock on - I understand the 'rule of thumb' is that if you go with only one hand it's going to be judged as illegal, but you do sometimes see players pull off a one handed interception or juggle the ball up and catch the rebound). At least limiting the case to the objective 'forward' or 'backward' makes the decision more consistent.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:14 am

Don't have a problem with it

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3