The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Press Conference Week 6

+5
Hero
Fernando
Marky
Afro
BamBam
9 posters

Go down

Press Conference Week 6 Empty Press Conference Week 6

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Nov 2017, 11:06 am

1. What do you think of last week's result

2. Who do you fear in your opponent's side this week

3. Who is the favourite for the league at this stage

4. Who do you think is best set for season 2

5. How far do you think England will get in the WC

6. Who is going to be the biggest January transfer in real life

7. On a scale of 1-10, how glad are you that there's no international football until March

8. Are you watching a TV boxset at the moment? If so which one

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Press Conference Week 6 Empty Re: Press Conference Week 6

Post by Afro Wed 15 Nov 2017, 11:21 am

1. Pleased to get the win. If Nando is in the mood, he can beat anyone so it could have gone anyway.

2. Don't fear anything. He is my one defeat, so I just have a strong urge for revenge this time around

3. Hero is top and has a great record, so I'll be surprised if it's not him

4. I get the sense that lots of people think they are well set for big price increases and mega bucks in season 2, but I don't think it will quite work out as planned. I think season 2 will mirror season 1 and be very close. The only thing I will say is that people are buying with season 2 profits in mind, but then releasing loads of players, losing 25% of their value. Not sure how the two fit. If you have season 2 in mind, then keep the players and wait for a lawyer. If you don't get a player, then release in season 2.

The only time it makes sense is if a players value has gone down on TM

5. Second round. We'll have a big team in the groups, get through, but face someone like Germany or Brazil in the knockouts and that will be the end of it.

6. No idea tbh. Can't see many mega deals happening.

7. 10 being most glad, then 10

8. No
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 15 Nov 2017, 11:22 am

A win is a win is a win. Always happy to win. Tough game against Miky and his Marswag boys, and all of a sudden I'm only 3 points off the top.

Well Tino beat me a few weeks ago, quick turnaround for these fixtures for some reason but since losing to Tino I've won 2 in a row, hopefully my recent additions will make the difference to turn that defeat into a win this time around.

Probably Hero, but it's turning into such an open battle at the moment, I just hope there's a few contenders come the end of the season rather than a runaway winner.

Anyone with a load of value increases. Hero or Afro most likely. I'm hoping for some kind lawyers offers between now and the end of the season to get some big names in.

Mate we're winning it. Gaz Southgate and the boys are coming home with that trophy. Believe that. (Well, as long as the right players are selected, then we've half a chance)

Richarlison to Everton Laugh

7. On a scale of 1-10, how glad are you that there's no international football until March
I don't mind the International break, especially as my club side are rarely affected by it. But I can understand why Premier League club fans are annoyed by it. I'd go with a calm 3 out of 10.

I'm not watching anything new at the moment, rewatching The IT Crowd, Derek and Toast of London on occasion, and any new South Park episodes.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 15 Nov 2017, 11:37 am

BamBam wrote:1. What do you think of last week's result - Seems fair overthought my tactic

2. Who do you fear in your opponent's side this week - no one at all cos haven't looked who im playing yet

3. Who is the favourite for the league at this stage - Olly since he keeps winning

4. Who do you think is best set for season 2 - Anyone with a big ticket player i imagine Hero

5. How far do you think England will get in the WC - Quarterfinals

6. Who is going to be the biggest January transfer in real life - Alexis to Citeh

7. On a scale of 1-10, how glad are you that there's no international football until March - 1 i quite like international tournaments not friendlies tho

8. Are you watching a TV boxset at the moment? If so which one - Porters on Dave

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Nov 2017, 1:00 pm

Great to get a win, really surprised it was this week against one of the pacesetters in the league. Onwards and upwards

Milinkovic in midfield and Werner/Dembele - I chopped down Asensio or it would have been him

Hero/Olly - results prove it

Difficult to say, TM rises can be unpredictable - I'd say Afro

Last 16, QF if they get a weak last 16 draw - that midfield makes me want to weep

Heard whispers of Danny Rose to Utd, that just about qualifies as big

Stranger Things is great

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 15 Nov 2017, 1:29 pm

Trebs is a great manager, anytime I get a win over him I'm very happy regarding it as I know the amount of work he puts into his tactics each week, do think people were over critical of his selections, people see what's regarded as an out of fashion player and sometimes overreact.

Bam's done a really good job on picking up a selection of relatively cheap but in form wingers, will have to keep an eye out on them.

Olly, he's already played both myself and Afro and taken both our scalps.

I hope myself based on Asensio, Dembele and Werner all hopefully getting big price rises, Werner's now already 45m, I'd expect both the others to go higher, between those three that'd be around 150m to spend if I got lawyers on them.

Last 16, will scrape through a group of them, Poland, Iran and Panama, to then get beat by someone like Croatia.

Everton will probably spunk £50 on another AM with 62 pace on FIFA 18.

I like international football when it's not involving England, though I enjoy the u21 etc tournaments when they're on, it's just that shower of Poopie main team that I'd rather pull my own teeth out than watch.

Nothing atm, need a new show to get into. Marky mentioning Toast of London though makes me want to watch those again as well as Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 15 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm

A fair one. Paid too much attention on who was on goal and didn't play to my strengths.

Looking at Trebs injuries it has to be Rashford.

Hero. First IX wise I can't see a better one in the league

I think we all have hidden gems due a TM increase. Janauary transfers will do a lot to help.

I'm going to say Semis. Not through blind optimism but I think we stand a chance of surprising many of us

Sanchez probably.

5 as enjoyed the latest ones but prefer club football

Nope

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 16 Nov 2017, 8:21 am

1. I think that one person did some very good, well thought out feedback which I appreciated. That's the sort of thing that would makes me advocate doing one person predicting on each game. I spent a long time doing my tactics and to see two people give me a loss because they don't like Lingard is tough to take. I'd like to know which alternative tactics i should have done which would have enabled me to win.

2. I fear my opponent doing better tactics than me. That is the only time I truly feel I have lost. I think Twist has surprised a few but his run must end here.

3. It certainly isn't me. Hero seems to be a lot of people's favourite but I said from the start I had a feeling Olly would surprise a few and he has done that.

4. With the transfermarkt values being unlocked it's going to be ridiculous. All the top players will immediately be coming into the league at the start of the season, and this will mean that it will be a case of whoever can bring in the top value players first. The lottery of lawyers will play a huge factor as well.

5. I'm positive - a lot of hate is put on England but we have a very strong side. If we had a Modric or a Kroos type player I'd make a case for us being one of the favourites as I feel that's the one player we're missing.

6. Not really sure to be honest - I don't see many big deals happening.

7. I'll give this a 5 - I certainly prefer club football but the World Cup qualifiers are now done, and they're great fun. Obviously it's just friendlies for a while now.

8. I'll be watching Peaky Blinders. No spoilers please. I've watched the first episode of True Detective and of Electric Dreams and need to follow them up.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:01 am

Trebs wrote:1. I think that one person did some very good, well thought out feedback which I appreciated. That's the sort of thing that would makes me advocate doing one person predicting on each game.

I think you are referring to my feedback, and appreciate the recognition. In truth, I was only able to do that level of feedback because I only had one game to vote on. When I have two, I could do that too.

But I think if I had to more than that, I would struggle for the time.

The answer is to try and encourage all to elaborate more on their feedback. No one really likes the voting bit, but it is a key part of the game so deserves a bit more effort
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:05 am

Ive said this already Trebs, its your choice of certain players not your tactics

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:11 am

Holymiky wrote:Ive said this already Trebs, its your choice of certain players not your tactics

It's fine saying my players aren't as good but tactics is half the battle. If it's impossible to win then it's pointless spending an afternoon working out my tactics.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:17 am

Its the age old thing of how important each element - players, tactics - is. For me its 50/50, but then you also need to have the right players to carry out the tactics.

But it is easier to just look at the teams, glance over the tactics and then decide, and I think this is a trap a lot fall into.

Ultimately I agree with Trebs. More consideration should be given for tactics, as quite often a poorer player with a set game plan gets the better of a mopre skilful player (Maffio on Ronaldo/Messi, Gomez on Neymar, Soddy on that school girl, Viva with that lady in the chinese)
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:31 am

Afro wrote:Its the age old thing of how important each element - players, tactics - is. For me its 50/50, but then you also need to have the right players to carry out the tactics.

But it is easier to just look at the teams, glance over the tactics and then decide, and I think this is a trap a lot fall into.

Ultimately I agree with Trebs. More consideration should be given for tactics, as quite often a poorer player with a set game plan gets the better of a mopre skilful player (Maffio on Ronaldo/Messi, Gomez on Neymar, Soddy on that school girl, Viva with that lady in the chinese)

Yep completely agree with this. And it's demoralising when a lot of time is spent figuring out and writing tactics.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

Quite often?
I'd say it was in reality 95% of the time the better player rises to the top but it's the moments a lesser player does well that people then remember.
Take the FA Cup as an example, the lesser side pretty much always takes it more seriously, puts more effort into the tactics and for the bigger clubs it's often a distraction from the league. Who usually ends up winning the cup? It's not the one full of the plucky underdogs with the great tactics.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:44 am

Hero wrote:Quite often?
I'd say it was in reality 95% of the time the better player rises to the top but it's the moments a lesser player does well that people then remember.
Take the FA Cup as an example, the lesser side pretty much always takes it more seriously, puts more effort into the tactics and for the bigger clubs it's often a distraction from the league. Who usually ends up winning the cup? It's not the one full of the plucky underdogs with the great tactics.

It's not like we're doing Lincoln City v Man United though.
If we want to compare it player wise, I'd say it's like an Everton vs Arsenal.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:47 am

Trebs wrote:
Hero wrote:Quite often?

It's not like we're doing Lincoln City v Man United though.
If we want to compare it player wise, I'd say it's like an Everton vs Arsenal.

How are Everton doing atm?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:50 am

Generally though even in the Premier League it's the team with the better players that wins more than the team with worse players. Leicester is the anomaly rather than the rule.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:56 am

And if you want a league in which tactics is considered a higher priority then why do we keep pushing the cap on words down. It's hardly Fergie when they can be written on the back of a napkin.
The complaint of 'why bother writing the tactics if the better players get the win' can easily be leveled the other way, why sell and buy players to improve your squad if someone then thinks Joe Bloggs from Macclesfield can somehow contain Messi over 90 mins just because the manager wrote 'man mark him'.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 16 Nov 2017, 9:59 am

I'm not having that

Bloggs of Macclesfield is the best man marker in the league

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 16 Nov 2017, 10:41 am

Hero wrote:Generally though even in the Premier League it's the team with the better players that wins more than the team with worse players. Leicester is the anomaly rather than the rule.

This overlooks the fact that often the best team with the best players, also have the best managers tactically.

Stick an average manager in charge of United, with broadly the same players, they won't do as well (i.e. fergie v moyes)

I don't think anyone is saying more weight on tactics than players, but both are important. To be completely accurate, its having the right players performing the right tactics - so in your example, using Joe Bloggs (sorry Bam) to mark Messi won't work, but sticking Gomez on Neymar might if people considered the game the other day.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 16 Nov 2017, 10:45 am

Afro wrote:
Hero wrote:Generally though even in the Premier League it's the team with the better players that wins more than the team with worse players. Leicester is the anomaly rather than the rule.

This overlooks the fact that often the best team with the best players, also have the best managers tactically.

Stick an average manager in charge of United, with broadly the same players, they won't do as well (i.e. fergie v moyes)

I don't think anyone is saying more weight on tactics than players, but both are important. To be completely accurate, its having the right players performing the right tactics - so in your example, using Joe Bloggs (sorry Bam) to mark Messi won't work, but sticking Gomez on Neymar might if people considered the game the other day.
Even with Moyes they still finished ahead of the lesser teams, they were just the worst of the good teams.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 16 Nov 2017, 10:49 am

Hero wrote:
Afro wrote:

Even with Moyes they still finished ahead of the lesser teams, they were just the worst of the good teams.

Or the managers of the other teams were worse at tactics Wink Cool

In all seriousness, there are occasions that players are better players because they are used tactically in a way that suits them better.

I think we can agree that you need to consider both the tactics and players in tandem, and that it is how you use the players in the tactics that matters?
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

Doesn't it boil down to the simple fact of not the level of the player but if they can carry out what was asked successfully compared to the opponents tactics?

You ask Ronaldo to cover the opposing wing back attacks, would he? (There is probably a better example)

I can't remember what was said about Lingard but if voters feel he didn't have the ability to carry out what was asked very well then it's a negative surely?

Ultimately what managers feel about their players doesn't matter one bit. I thought Vardy was a good buy but he hasn't been getting rave reviews so I shipped him out. What's the point of being stubborn, for want of a better word, and stick with him when the feedback tells you otherwise?

Another example, to flip it the other way, was I concentrated last week on Mignolet being crap and his defenders suffering as a result. I ended up losing, rightly. If it was a case of "oh I don't like that player" then I might have won.

The whole league is based on opinions to a certain extent and with the league being as close as it is sometimes those opinions are all you can use to split teams.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 16 Nov 2017, 3:47 pm

I just want to point out that my squad have had depressed Trebs leading them in training this week.
Squad morale is a very important factor (worth 6 slots on ja I believe) and think that should be accounted for when predicting this week. My team will be very determined not to let me down again.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 16 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

I'll take it into account Trebs

I'll also take into account that depressed Trebs probably wasn't much use setting up his side tactically Wink

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 16 Nov 2017, 4:12 pm

Trebs wrote:I just want to point out that my squad have had depressed Trebs leading them in training this week.
Squad morale is a very important factor (worth 6 slots on ja I believe) and think that should be accounted for when predicting this week. My team will be very determined not to let me down again.

Really trying everything to get a result against me this week right Laugh

My team are fine despite the loss. They know they aren't led by a dictator on Prozac. They will play to their potential and what will be will be.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 16 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

States morale is worth a lot.
States manager is depressed.

David Trebs Moyes 101 guide to football management.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Thu 16 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

I think any squad that has Lingard in the starting lineup is going to have low morale

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 16 Nov 2017, 4:54 pm

TwisT wrote:
Trebs wrote:I just want to point out that my squad have had depressed Trebs leading them in training this week.

My team are fine despite the loss. They know they aren't led by a dictator on Prozac. They will play to their potential and what will be will be.

Can I ask what sort of demeanour you had leading your players in training this week.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Thu 16 Nov 2017, 8:05 pm

1. What do you think of last week's result - Tough one to take, i rate Marky and his team so i am not upset about it, i just thought i had a good chance of winning as well, tough game to call IMO. Always tough going up against him though.

2. Who do you fear in your opponent's side this week - Nando can be a great tactician if he has time and puts that time into writing the tactics, but team wise Fekir. He's a quality player and is doing very well in real life so his form will show when people are voting.

3. Who is the favourite for the league at this stage - I'm going to say Hero, i'm impressed with Olly but i don't think he will be there at the end of the season (sorry)

4. Who do you think is best set for season 2 - Afro/Marky probably and Hero too - They all know how to build teams, i said Hero last because his team is already quite advanced IMO.

5. How far do you think England will get in the WC - I think past the last 16 but will be tough to get beyond that, personally i think France will win it.

6. Who is going to be the biggest January transfer in real life - Not sure, Fekir COULD get a move although that is likely to be a summer move if he continues this form.

7. On a scale of 1-10, how glad are you that there's no international football until March - I like Internationals but i prefer the Prem. I think if anything we should play competitive internationals more and players forced to take games more seriously etc.

8. Are you watching a TV boxset at the moment? If so which one - I watched Suburra on Netflix recently the new TV Series (in one day Laugh) Apart from that i'm watching House albeit slow progress at the moment.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 16 Nov 2017, 8:08 pm

Trebs wrote:
TwisT wrote:

Can I ask what sort of demeanour you had leading your players in training this week.

Positive

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooksey79 Fri 17 Nov 2017, 4:29 pm

we lost so its Poopie...my own fault for playing with ten men I'm not gonna cry about a cheap loss.

jesus is a top prospect. But if the Wolves defence stopped him and Aguero scoring IRL then Barzagli,Llorente and Caldara can deal with him.

I stopped reading at Who is the favourite and decided Olly, he Poopie luck that kid. The Mark Selby of the league

Hero's boys look the business so far but I think Afro could be there or thereabouts

Quarters

Keita to Liverpool

is 10 well happy? if so 10

I know I'm behind but Line of duty

Brooksey79

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down