The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Price V Povetkin

+7
Steffan
horizontalhero
smashingstormcrow
Mr Bounce
melv500
Happytravelling
TheSquaredCircle
11 posters

Go down

Price V Povetkin Empty Price V Povetkin

Post by TheSquaredCircle Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Genuinely concerned for Price in this fight. Has he succumbed to the fact that fighting cabbies is not going to cut it anymore and maybe this is now a do or die fight.

This fight is certainly not going the distance imo and as a
Brit I hope Pricey pulls of the upset (he is reputed as a huge puncher after all). Sadly I’m not sure he has it mentally to win this fight but Just hope he comes through with his health intact.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Price V Povetkin Empty Re: Price V Povetkin

Post by Happytravelling Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Looks like his corner have given up trying to build his career and just looking to cash in.

He's obvious stamina and confidence issues and needs careful rebuilding, if he's to have any career left.

Throwing him in with Povetkin is such a long shot.

Price has a big punch but has been distinctly trigger shy since losing to Thompson.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 am

I can only think that this is being made as it seems Povetkin is next for AJ. He’s on the undercard and they want him to fight someone relatively well known. I think Price is being thrown out to the Wolves.

Completely agree with you Happy that he’s trigger shy these days as he never ours anyone away like he did. Also the second someone lands on him he just completely falls apart. Just hope he’s ok after this.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Price has but one chance and that is catching Povetkin cold. There are many issues with this: Povetkin is an experienced pro and this is extremely unlikely. Price has been fighting scared since Teper cheated his way to KO'ing him courtesy of some special supplements.

Povetkin by KO anywhere in rounds 3-5. I really want to see Price do well but he's had enough chances now. Povetkin is WAY too good and far better than anyone else Pricey's fought. Come on David, prove everyone wrong!

In another parallel universe, Price by brutal KO in 1 as he finds his heart and finally does what he thinks he can do.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 pm

I agree with your assessment and like your optimism, Mr bounce.

Reeks of Price's corner throwing him to the dogs, and last good pay day.

The pre Thompson Price I'd give a punchers chance but since losing he's been scared to pull the trigger, for fear of KO or over exerting himself. Probably the the former.

Povetkin is too experienced and I give Price little chance.

If his corner thought he had a career they'd build Price up gradually.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:15 am

At Price's age, surely it is too late to gradually build him up! At his age he should be in his prime for a heavyweight, it's all downhill from here. The chances of his prospects significantly improving seem remote to me.

It's a now-or-never kind of fight. He'll probably never face a top opponent, or have a payday like this again. So can't really blame him for taking it... I just hope he doesn't get too badly hurt..

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 am

Price has gone the same way as Audley, in that despite having skill and power, they seems to lose confidence in their abiites once the fight starts- you can see it in the body language- their lean back as if trying to keep their head out of range whilst sticking out a pawing front hand as if trying to hold their opponent out of reach. It's a shame, I don't think either of them achieved any way their potential.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 am

Smash, they could have put him in at a fight a month, gradually building up the quality, his confidence and assessing his stamina issues.

Get 6-10 fights in a year would do him good.

But his corner have shown no appetite.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 pm

In the extremely unlikely event that Price beats Povetkin, does that make him the WBA's No1 contender, thus the mandatory for Joshua??? Or would that mean the No 1 position would go to Charr (who's their "Regular" champ?) I'm still confused by the WBA idiocy...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Happytravelling wrote:Smash, they could have put him in at a fight a month, gradually building up the quality, his confidence and assessing his stamina issues.

Get 6-10 fights in a year would do him good.

But his corner have shown no appetite.

Problem is, after fighting 6-10 journeymen, he would still be David Price. And I'm not particularly confident he'd have 6-10 extra wins on his record..

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am

At the tender age of 34, I don’t think a gradual build up is gonna work. Given his history, it’s fairly likely that the little bit of confidence from knowingly fighting journeyman may get negated by the sight of someone like povetkin/stiverne/arreola etc. If he does pull it off against povetkin then those are the fights I would like to see and not throw him in with Wilder or Joshua. Price Chisora/whyte might not be a bad shout Either.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 pm

Price will lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 am

As others have said I don't think there's really much point at this stage of Price's career in trying to slowly build him up again fighting journeymen. It's been tried 3 times now and 3 times he has been knocked out once he finally steps up.

The other issue is there is probably as much chance of Price getting caught by one of those journeymen and stopped as there is in him catching Povetkin so may as well just take the risk.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSquaredCircle Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:10 am

Officially announced now.

David Price must know what he is up against, frankly I’m surprised he is actually taking this fight. Unless......money has been thrown at him and he will announce his ring retirement straight after the fight once he has got off the canvas and reorientated himself.

Sets up a nice little AJ v povetkin revenge-for-pricey match up.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:01 pm

This sets up Joshua v Povetkin up rather nicely. I think Hearn expects a sensational ko which will add a million or so to the future Joshua fight as Povetkin will appear a more genuine opponent.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 am

aja424 wrote:This sets up Joshua v Povetkin up rather nicely. I think Hearn expects a sensational ko which will add a million or so to the future Joshua fight as Povetkin will appear a more genuine opponent.
How exactly is Povetkin not ‘a genuine contender’ without putting Price into a coma? Povetkin has a legitimate Olympic gold medal. His only pro defeat came against a peak Wlad.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm

He went the same way as every Klitschko opponent, whom was late thirties at the time. Now Povetkin is late thirties and we expect him to give a peak Joshua a genuine challenge ?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:
aja424 wrote:This sets up Joshua v Povetkin up rather nicely. I think Hearn expects a sensational ko which will add a million or so to the future Joshua fight as Povetkin will appear a more genuine opponent.
How exactly is Povetkin not ‘a genuine contender’ without putting Price into a coma? Povetkin has a legitimate Olympic gold medal. His only pro defeat came against a peak Wlad.

Audley Harrison had a gold medal.

Irrelevant.

Povetkin has been out for the last 2 years being a drugs cheat. Got knocked down 5 times against Wlad.

Who else has Povetkin fought?

Wach? Rahman?

Best win is probably Chagaev coupled with some golden oldies.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down