The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Villa in talks to take Martinez as manager

+7
Crimey
sportform
Kay Fabe
Mat
braveheart101
CFCNick
Maverick
11 posters

Go down

Villa in talks to take Martinez as manager Empty Villa in talks to take Martinez as manager

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Just been brough up on sky news, Roberto Marinez is in talks with Aston Villa with regards to becoming their new manager, have to say didn't see that one coming and the worrying thing is surly this shows no sign of ambition from Villas perspective, yes martinez did well at swansea, barely kept wigan in the league is that the extent of Villas ambition, maybe their looking long term but when there's managers like hughes, benitez and Ancelotti unemployed and dare I say it McLaren, seems a veryodd prospect.

Dave Whelan just released statement stating he will not stand in Martinez's way should a deal be agreed but is hopeful of Roberto turning the offer down!

Last edited by Maverick on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Villa in talks to take Martinez as manager Empty Re: Villa in talks to take Martinez as manager

Post by CFCNick Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:52 pm

That was breaking news this morning

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Villa in talks to take Martinez as manager Empty Re: Villa in talks to take Martinez as manager

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Yes it as but at that stage they were not talking figures and looking at deal signing appears it gone a stage further, think it's too ambitious a choice, glad it's not benitez though

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Maverick wrote:Just been brough up on sky news, Roberto Marinez is in talks with Aston Villa with regards to becoming their new manager, have to say didn't see that one coming and the worrying thing is surly this shows no sign of ambition from Villas perspective, yes martinez did well at swansea, barely kept wigan in the league is that the extent of Villas ambition, maybe their looking long term but when there's managers like hughes, benitez and Ancelotti unemployed and dare I say it McLaren, seems a veryodd prospect.

Dave Whelan just released statement stating he will not stand in Martinez's way should a deal be agreed but is hopeful of Roberto turning the offer down!
Isn't it obvious what Villa's ambition is. Martin O'Neill took them as far as any manager is going to be able to and when he wanted more money to improve the squad and try and break into the top four he didn't get it so had to leave. As for Benitez, Ancelotti and Hughes they would rather wait and get a job with a bigger more ambitous club.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Isn't it obvious what Villa's ambition is. Martin O'Neill took them as far as any manager is going to be able to and when he wanted more money to improve the squad and try and break into the top four he didn't get it so had to leave. As for Benitez, Ancelotti and Hughes they would rather wait and get a job with a bigger more ambitous club.

Make you right there, complete lack of ambition.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Villa aren't a big club though.Martinez is a good young manager who plays football the right way but it is clear that he isn't their first choice however it is their own fault as they weren't willing to give Benitez the money he wanted in the transfer market and Lerner bowed down to fan pressure regarding McClaren.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:12 pm

I think its a triffic move by Villa, the Premiership is cluttered with defensive minded managers who want to stick 10 men behind the ball, Martinez is a young fresh attacking football minded manager, Villa is a big step up from Wigan

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Whoever takes over isn't going to get much money to spend Lerner proved that with O'Neill

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Yet they where willing to break the bank for Bent, if they get £10m plus any fee from sales then Villa could have a decent kitty, his first signing could be Darren Pratley

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Yeh but that means selling 2 of their best players in Young and Downing

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Young is far to greedy and Downing is well overrated in my opinion, I don't think Villa would suffer to much without them if the manager is given the funds to replace them

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 pm

What is wrong with Aston Villa?

First Carlo Ancelotti and Rafael Benitiz were interested in the vacancy so obviously thought they could be successful at Villa Park. Aston Villa are not small than say Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham after all.

For some reason though both have since distanced themselves from the job. Does that show Aston Villa have a lack of ambition?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Ancelotti said he wanted to take a year break from football, I don't think it was anything to do with Aston Villa just burnout from football which isn't surprising considering he was at AC Milan for how many years, goes to Chelsea, one good season, not a brilliant season, but still not a horrific season and he's sacked.

Benitez supposedly wanted too big of a transfer budget, and Lerner probably doesn't trust him with it.

The most stupid one is McClaren though I think, basically there was a huge backlash from fans when they were linked with him so he cancelled the interview with him. McClaren is a manager I thought could do the job for Villa, and he'll have a lot more links now after working abroad for a couple of years.

Martinez is not a bad manager, I don't think it's a lack of ambition, I'm hoping it's Villa planning long term and bringing in a young manager who can build a team and stay with them for many years, also Martinez might be able to persuade N'Zogbia from Wigan to join Villa who would be a decent replacement for Young/Downing.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 pm

N'Zogbia would be a far better player for Villa than Downing and the'd probably get change for that deal, I don't think losing out for Benitez is a bad thing at all, lucky escape if you ask me

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 am

Downing was class last season, lets hope we keep him.

Young will be on the way out.

I would like a higher profile manager than Martinez(if he gets it), but hey its not up to me.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:10 pm

He's opted to stay at Wigan.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has chosen to remain at Wigan after Aston Villa made an approach for his services.

Martinez, 37, is expected to take up an improved contract with the Latics instead of the chance to manage Villa.

"Roberto met with his chairman earlier this week and he has made the decision to honour his commitment to Wigan," read a Villa statement.

"Therefore, we have not met Roberto and we have not had the chance to discuss the vacant managerial role with him."

More to follow.

I'm actually quite glad, I'd like to see Martinez build up a team at Wigan rather than jumping ship too soon.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:17 pm

So happy that he's decided to stay at Wigan and looks like DW is giving him what he wants:
- Buying the training facilities
- Improved salary and bonuses
- Whatever funds brought in through sales he can spend
- Martinez targetting top 10
- Whelan accepts in a few years time a big European club will come in for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:20 pm

It seems more and more likely that Mark Hughes will be taking the Villa job then, I'm not sure whether they're just trying to make it look like they weren't really interested before taking him so it doesn't look like they have tapped him up while he was at Fulham? Is that too far fetched?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:36 pm

The whole Mark Hughes thing has gone far too quiet lately after his exit from Fulham. Maybe too quiet?

To be honest, I'd find it very hard to believe anyone wanting to quit Fulham for Aston Villa. Their best player is about to leave, they had a terrible season last year and Houllier didn't seem to make matters any better.

If Hughes doesn't join them, Who does?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:40 pm

That's why I think it's probably going to be Hughes, I have a feeling they don't want to be accused of tapping him up (they probably did though) so are giving it a couple of weeks, especially since Mark Hughes still has to serve his notice before officialy announcing it. They're just throwing other names out there to stop people talking about Hughes.

I can't think of many others who could take the job, Owen Coyle is one name being thrown around.

To be fair, Aston Villa are still a fairly big name in football, and will have more money than Fulham, and better foundations to push on to Europe.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:59 pm

I completely lost interest in Villa when O'Neill left, he seemed to lose his way after seemingly doing a great job. Maybe fed up with his board selling off his best players every season? I think that's the major downside to being AV manager.

Fulham may not be a buying club despite their Billionaire owner but I really believe they could do good things in the league, even more so after how well Hodgeson pushed them in the UEFA cup two seasons ago. They are however in Europe again next season via the Fair Play league but unless they get a manager in with some experience and good man management I can't see them going too far.

I hope no Bolton fans see you mentioning Owen Coyle, he's taking Bolton to good places and I'd hate for him to go to Villa and waste his reputation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Same, I'm actually hoping Coyle does well at Bolton and is eventually the man to replace Kenny at Liverpool, I'm a big admirer of Owen Coyle, I actually wanted him to be our manager before Hodgson was appiointed.

I just think Hughes will see the potential to get back into the big leagues again while managing Villa, as he's more likely to be noticed at Villa than he is at Fulham, IMO. Although, he might take the Chelsea job, although that will probably result in him leaving his third job when Abrhomvic sacks him because he's bored.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:18 pm

Taking the Chelsea job would be putting himself back into the firing line as he was at Man City and we all know how that ended. Plus he doesn't have the ego to cope with an owner like Abramovich.

As great an icon as he was at Old Trafford, I don't think he's really cut out for top six management personally. He may do well at Villa but leaving Fulham when you've just been given a European slot to join a club like Villa is just plain silly.

Which would to me, suggest he might actually have a shot at the Chelsea job. 🐑

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:32 pm

I actually think he might think about leaving the country and taking a top job in another country rather than sticking in England, so by taking the Villa job he might want to throw himself into the spotlight for another club abroad.

He didn't hesitate moving while a player, I think he wouldn't as a manager.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Its refreshing to see some loyality displayed in football, especially from managers.

I like Martinez's style of football but its goin to take time to attract the type of player which can replicate his philosphy on the pitch, especially at a club like Wigan.

I like some of the youngers he has signed and its looking like he will make a tidy profit on them when he sells them on.

Top manager

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Loyality in football wow!

Well done Martinez clap, I bet he'll gets fired next year!
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:55 pm

I agree with the last two comments All credit to Martinez
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Simon Grayson's odds to be next Villa manager have been slashed from 50/1 to 5/2.

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Mat wrote:Simon Grayson's odds to be next Villa manager have been slashed from 50/1 to 5/2.

can't see it myself Mat. Looks like an old bookmakers trick to get punters to lump on it. I could be wrong though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:51 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Mat wrote:Simon Grayson's odds to be next Villa manager have been slashed from 50/1 to 5/2.

can't see it myself Mat. Looks like an old bookmakers trick to get punters to lump on it. I could be wrong though!

Nah me neither.There's been a big bet in Yorkshire on Grayson going there,so that's presumably why they've been cut.

However,I don't see who they're going to get!They might have to risk it on a younger manager unless they just wait for Hughes.

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Is Gary Mac still at the club?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Not sure to be honest.

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:59 am

Carlo Ancelotti
Rafael Benitez
Steve McClaren
Roberto Martinez
Alex McLeish
Simon Grayson

The managerial candidates just seem to get worse and worse. Is the policy, start at the top and work the way down until someone says yes?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:02 am

Looks bad don't it Ville. Give it an hour and we will be offered the job!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:18 am

Frank Rijkaard has said today that he would take the job if offered it, he's a good manager, so I wouldn't be surprised if Villa started to look into him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down