The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales RWC 2019 Thread

+39
lostinwales
ebop
Gooseberry
tigertattie
formerly known as Sam
Soul Requiem
Rinsure
robbo277
majesticimperialman
Hoonercat
Poorfour
bluestonevedder
bsando
Yoda
Maine man
TightHEAD
Collapse2005
Rugby Fan
EnglishReign
Taylorman
quinsforever
BigTrevsbigmac
carpet baboon
Presuming Ed
Cyril
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
chris_501
munkian
No9
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
maestegmafia
SecretFly
LordDowlais
Pie
43 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 2 Empty Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:41 am

First topic message reminder :

WALES’ 2019 RWC SQUAD:

Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Rhys Carre, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Tomos Williams.

Last edited by miaow on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:52 pm

The way both teams have played this season - individually, as much as collectively - suggests that quite a few Dragons players will be in the squad for the World Cup. Could easily see Jared Rosser sneaking a place and Steff Evans missing out, for example.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:27 pm

miaow wrote:The way both teams have played this season - individually, as much as collectively - suggests that quite a few Dragons players will be in the squad for the World Cup. Could easily see Jared Rosser sneaking a place and Steff Evans missing out, for example.

Adam Warren would be another. He has played really well. Only one cap to his name but rarely makes a mistake.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:23 pm

I see that the Dragons have selected Halam Amos at outside centre this Friday

I think he might suit the 13 shirt

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Sadly, he's too to slow to ever make it as a reliable top 3 player. He also appears to be too small as well to make it in the centres, like Tyler Morgan, but I think he may stand a better chance there than on the wing, because I'd guess he has the talent and drive to adapt his game.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 am

miaow wrote:Sadly, he's too to slow to ever make it as a reliable top 3 player. He also appears to be too small as well to make it in the centres, like Tyler Morgan, but I think he may stand a better chance there than on the wing, because I'd guess he has the talent and drive to adapt his game.

Let’s see how he goes this could be a very good move.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 am

The squad to be announced on the 21st, thoughts are that it will be a 39 man squad.

My guess at the squad would be made up of

Rob Evans Wynn Jones Nicky Smith

Eliot Dee Ken Owens Scot Baldwin

Dillon Lewis Samson Lee Tom Francis

AWJ Beard Hill Seb Davis

Tipuric Nalvidi Griffiths Young

Turnball Wainwright Cracknell

Faletau Moriarty

Gareth Aled Tomos

Anscombe Bigger Patchell

Scott Owen JD2 Cory Owen Williams

North Adams Amos Morgan

Liam Jonah

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Faletau looking superb for Bath, created a wonderful try....playing at 6 as well. Now that would be interesting...Tipuric, Faletau, Moriarty.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 pm

In many ways, don't think it matters who wears 6 and 8 too much. If Moriarty and Faletau play together, Moriarty is doing the dog work in defence, allowing Faletau to play around the fringes and in the wide channels. The issue with Tipuric is he takes the #8 role on the wide channels during phase play. Meaning Faletau is less likely to crop up in transitional situations and use his balanced running skills and handling.

I'm not really sure why Wales would pick Faletau at 6, but if they did want to, I'm sure he'd be great there. Just don't think they need to/realistically have anyone to play 8 alongside him.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 pm

I was at the Rec this afternoon and thought all the welsh players played very well. Priestland had a very good game at flyhalf, controlled well attacked the line beautifully and regularly got the back line attacking well.

Charteris captained bath superbly. Was an immense performance, really at his best, great to see as I think we all forgot about him as an option.

Tom Youngs was everywhere, an absolute nuisance for bath to deal with. Superb over the ball and in support in attack.

Alex Brew looked fast and sharp and the man in side him Max Clark who is also welsh did too.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Good review Maes. Love how you managed to spell nearly all of their names wrong though! Haha Laugh Hope you had a good day out! Ale RedWine

Seriously though, good to hear they’re doing well at Bath. Can’t remember whether they’re all caught up in the selection rules or not, should we need to call on them?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Charteris get the call up for the six nations squad

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 am

maestegmafia wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised to see Charteris get the call up for the six nations squad

I agree; he's smart and proven with height and awesome maul defense. Good call. A Charteris Beard lineout would be a challenge for any side.

Priestland is a great backup to the triumvirate in favor at the moment

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 am

Particularly with Shingler out, there's definitely an argument for bringing Charteris back in. I can't see Gatland doing it - the ECC (a dead rubber at that, let's not forget that - for the Scarlets players who performed well tonight as well) is a step down from test rugby. It's just not the same.

He's the wrong since of 35 and has had poor luck with injuries. But I do think we lack a lanky 'nuisance' at lineout time the way Shingler is. Charteris also defensively solid - never misses a tackle it seems. Not like for like, Shingler and Charteris, ofc, but a good comparison/awareness of how good Charteris was at RWCs (2011 immense from seemingly nowhere, 2015 v effective at maul destruction) and how Wales have missed it since.

Priestland arguably still the best 10 Wales could pick. Arguably...

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:44 am

With Biggar taking a knock today, no news on the severity, they may call on priestland for the six nations. Not sure who else could be considered fourth choice?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:33 am

Priestland's below 60 caps isn't he? With Patchell out as well, it opens the door for Anscombe to nail the Poopie. Think Jarrod Evans and Sam Davies would get called up if both Patchell and Biggar are out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:33 am

Orrrr...return of the Gav...?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 pm

Glad to see dragons put Henson at 12 when he came on, great try assist...

Looks like Biggars injury is not so bad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:25 am

I with Gats would give Gav one last shot, he is sublime on form as shown just the other day. He is old but JD2 aside, no player since Scott Gibbs has offered so much in the centre.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 am

miaow wrote:Priestland's below 60 caps isn't he? With Patchell out as well, it opens the door for Anscombe to nail the Poopie. Think Jarrod Evans and Sam Davies would get called up if both Patchell and Biggar are out.

As he started at Bath before that rule came in I thought he was exempt from that rule? However he should not really be under consideration. Into what is I think his fourth season at Bath he has never really been more than solid and was largely second choice to first Ford and now Burns. Wales would be much better off having a younger player on the bench if Biggar and Patchell are unavailable.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm

The 'rules' are so convoluted I'm not even sure anymore. I thought he signed a contract extension post-rule update, but perhaps not.

Patchell won't be picked - head injuries and lack of form, I think he'll take a look at Sam Davies personally as he hasn't been involved for a while and is playing fairly well.

I don't disagree about Priestland not being great. But when he clicks, he is very good. Also, you can't overlook the favouritism in England/Bath (even without Mike Ford) towards George Ford, who still flatters to deceive in my opinion. Burns has done surprisingly well from what I've seen, but again, I don't think there's too much in it.

Anyway, blooding players etc. not a concern for Gatland now. Everything is focused on the RWC. With Biggar out, he may want experience, and Priestland might offer that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Also, Harry Millard impressed against Glasgow yesterday.

13 is probably the weakest position for depth. Scott Williams probably second choice, but that's not ideal. Watkin likewise.

Can see Gatland actually going for an uncapped player now in Millard, particularly as Tyler Morgan seems unfortunately injury prone and has never really established himself.

Likewise, I think there are still wing places up for grabs. Owen Lane, Jared Rosser etc. stand a great chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 pm

I would like to think that the larger squad for this six nations is relatively open on selection. Players like Tom Young’s, Ollie Griffiths, Sam Davies, Rosser, Lane, Sam David even a few old fellas like Henson, Charteris, Priestland could all put forward for inclusion.

When it comes to the rwc, it is only about picking the form squad and best team

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:07 pm

It isn't and it isn't maesteg. Things have changed in the last 10 years. Particularly now with the tiered system of contract payments, it's fairly clear there is a wider 'Wales possibles and Wales probables' group of players in the regions. They will already be on fitness plans for the autumn (Rob Evans looks like he's in bulking season, for sure!) as well as being drip fed tactical improvements with a view to implementing them at the RWC.

Henson's last chance was 2011 - it was shame he got injured against England, as you never know, having someone like him in the semi final might have made a difference. Particularly with the way Hook defended and kicked from 15...

Griffiths, Young etc are too far down the pecking order. No point wasting valuable time on a resource you're unlikely to use. I may be wrong here, but I can only see outside backs and/or serious injury problems resulting in uncapped players or rookies being called up.

As Gatland has shown with his Lions selections, form isn't that important.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:07 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I would like to think that the larger squad for this six nations is relatively open on selection. Players like Tom Young’s, Ollie Griffiths, Sam Davies, Rosser, Lane, Sam David even a few old fellas like Henson, Charteris, Priestland could all put forward for inclusion.

When it comes to the rwc, it is only about picking the form squad and best team

I think these old names may be in the '60' that went to the Vale but I also think that in term so f selections Gats isn't going to go to wide at this point as he knows he has to hone down the cadre for his 31 man RWC squad.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:29 pm

He won't pick Priestland, he lacks confidence and cant handle pressure. I expect he will pick Patchell as he knows that when fit he is the perfect back up 10 who can play 15...Gats point of difference remember and why Ken has reinvented himself as an 8.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm

The squad's announced tomorrow.

Sorry if that's not news to anyone else - it was news to me!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Haha, I'm not sure we'll see Ken at 8 for Wales to be perfectly honest Pie...although I think a few might love to see it v Italy!

But don't disagree with you on the 10 shirt. Problem is Patchell has had a serious concussion, and now a muscular injury that can be debillitating for a kicker. Could be out for the rest of the season - or he could be back in a fortnight (general consensus is end of this month). I tend to think, if there's a risk, because Gatland sees him as 3rd choice anyway, he's not going to risk him until the third game of the tournament.

Which, if Biggar is struggling - or Anscombe gets injured as well - it opens the door for Priestland, even as a stop gap.

But I tend to agree. For him personally, as well, a bit like Cuthbert - why flog yourself with Wales given the way you were treated. Take the money, and potentially more enjoyable/rewarding environment, and stay in England or go to France rather than move back in the hope of making the RWC squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm

You may well be right mate

Gays might keep his squad from the last 12 months quite tight. I hear a rumour Owen Lane is going to be called up from a pretty good source

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Unfortunate breaking news: Unconfirmed, but looks like Taulupe Faletau out of Wales’ Six Nations campaign with broken arm suffered in action for Bath against Wasps. Same arm as previous injury. Huge blow.

Alex Bywater.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Ken Owens for #8 then!

Not surprised with Lane. Looks like a natural Cuthbert replacement. Likewise Rosser. Both deserve a shot. Steff Evans is playing himself out of the RWC.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:32 pm

If available, then Jarrod Evans is next in line. First and second choice is Anscombe and Biggar right now. I have to agree that Priestland isn’t up to it. I don’t hear much positive about him since his move to Bath, and that’s in spite of WOL’s desperate efforts. Having watched Sam Davies since U20s I honestly don’t have a clue how he’s been playing pro rugby for this long. His weaknesses far outweigh his moderate kicking game which is the only thing he has going for him - as harsh as it sounds this is the result of a player with limited capabilities getting access to the best training and opportunities that daddy could get. He’s good at semi-pro ruby, nothing more. And I actually have a feeling that Priestland could be on his way to the liberty...

I have to agree with most of those other suggestions bar Turnbull. I also can’t see us calling up any more 7s which rules out Griffiths, Youngs and Cubby. Open-side is likely to be Tips, Navidi and Wainright. Me personally, I prefer the Pivac back-row which could see something like Hill, Tips and Navidi - it does seem likely with Shingler, Lydiate and Moriarty largely unavailable. As for Faletau, I’d ease him back in. Owens covering 8 wouldn’t be unusual given our injury stockpiles.
We also had three open sides play against SA, and whilst that is often a good option it probably isn’t against breakdown orientated teams like SA, NZ and Ireland.

Parkes still looks way off colour so I would start Watkin. I’m not sure about Millard but Adam Warren seems like a good option over Tyler Morgan. Owen Lane would be rewarding form, Holmes deserves another shot, 15 still has some vacancies so whoever can cover there gets in; Daf Howells anyone? Should have been in the autumn squad. No Henson whatsoever.
Charteris is a tough one, but makes sense as a stop-gap if Hill will be playing 6. How long can Charteris last, 15 mins? Does anyone rate Seb Davies as a lock at international level? I’m not sure. He seems to blow hot and cold to me.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:33 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Unfortunate breaking news: Unconfirmed, but looks like Taulupe Faletau out of Wales’ Six Nations campaign with broken arm suffered in action for Bath against Wasps. Same arm as previous injury. Huge blow.

Alex Bywater.

Yikes, he’s like been injured for 2 years now? He definitely would have made a difference coming off our now competitive bench...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Confirmed on BBC. Really unfortunate for him. Something in the water seeing as his cousin did almost identically. Noticed Vunipola was wearing some sort of arm supports at the weekend he agent had before.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Oh that’s a real shame for him. Poor lad only just got back.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Unfortunate breaking news: Unconfirmed, but looks like Taulupe Faletau out of Wales’ Six Nations campaign with broken arm suffered in action for Bath against Wasps. Same arm as previous injury. Huge blow.

Alex Bywater.

Yikes, he’s like been injured for 2 years now? He definitely would have made a difference coming off our now competitive bench...

Ken Owens can stand in at 8 no worries.... Whistle

ooops sorry, just spotted this had been done... censored

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 am

I think TF should take time off to get that arm right before his career ends prematurely. He was clearly rushed back and with RWC coming up what is the point doing that. He is a freak and as shown last weekend doesn't need to warm up. He just needs to be fully fit and then let him loose. Terrible shame but not the worst thing for the side; Navidi may just have been sentenced to a long tournament as back row bench cover though. Can Turnbull/Seb cover 8 as well?

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 am

Player welfare in the English league is shocking, as soon as players like Talupe leave the better.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am

Poor wum especially as you can't spell the guys name!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:20 pm

munkian wrote:Player welfare in the English league is shocking, as soon as players like Talupe leave the better.

George North has been in great shape since he returned, I think you have a point

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Interesting squad.

Forwards: Rob Evans, Wyn Jones, Nicky Smith; Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Ken Owens; Leon Brown, Tomas Francis, Samson Lee, Dillon Lewis; Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Seb Davies, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Josh Turnbull, Aaron Wainwright, Thomas Young.

Backs: Gareth Davies, Aled Davies, Tomos Williams; Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar, Rhys Patchell, Jarrod Evans; Owen Watkin, Hadleigh Parkes, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams; Josh Adams, Liam Williams, Steff Evans, George North, Jonah Holmes, Leigh Halfpenny, Hallam Amos.

No Lane. No Rosser. No Luke Morgan. Steff Evans in there on form of the last 3 seasons rather than the last 8 months or so. I felt there was a place for at least one new outside back at least - but maybe we'll see them in the summer.

No surprises in the forwards. Elias is head and shoulders ahead ahead of Dacey as a player. Likewise Baldwin. Otten should've kicked on and replaced him by now. Hooker is looking very strong. Would like to see Dillon Lewis get some exposure at scrum time, he's looking like a really good prospect and it's almost inevitable that one of Samson and Francis will have injury problems in the RWC.

Other than that, there's no real surprise. Perhaps the only surprise is at home many injured players Gatland's picked.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:24 pm

It's a good squad, the injured players selected should be back for at least part of the tournament, I think Gatland has selected them so that he can keep an eye on them in training, quite a few are concussion injuries, so will be able to do a certain level of fitness.

Players that I would like to see get some game time are Elias, Seb Davies (at lock), Young, Tomos Williams and Amos. I think all those guys have the potential to be stars.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am

Is Talupe trying to carbon copy his cousin, break and arm - mend- play a game and break it again. Almost identical to BV. Is it the same break that had not healed properly or a different one?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 pm

I don’t think we will experiment much at all, so Young etc might not play. The management are making a fair bit of going for the Championship etc.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm

RiscaGame wrote:I don’t think we will experiment much at all, so Young etc might not play. The management are making a fair bit of going for the Championship etc.

If we leave Paris with a win, they might make changes against Italy.

Speaking of leaving Paris, apparently they're going to stay in France after the match and go from there straight to Italy, to replicate being away from home at the World Cup.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 pm

That seems quite smart

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I don’t think we will experiment much at all, so Young etc might not play. The management are making a fair bit of going for the Championship etc.

Speaking of leaving Paris, apparently they're going to stay in France after the match and go from there straight to Italy, to replicate being away from home at the World Cup.

A week in Nice - can't be bad.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm

munkian wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

A week in Nice - can't be bad.

Cote d’Azur or Glamorgan this time of year, I know what I would prefer..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Hensol isn’t without its charm.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:18 pm

Looking forward to seeing what Thomas Young can do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Hope more than just polish the bench this time as I cant see him even on the bench unless Tips/Moriarty/Navidi and Wainwright get crocked

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next