The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best product of NXT...?

+3
Crimey
Francis
Mr H
7 posters

Go down

The best product of NXT...? Empty The best product of NXT...?

Post by Mr H Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 am

For me, i view NXT as a success. Ok so i didnt exactly enjoy the shows themselves, but the point of NXT was to create a platform for new wrestlers to make a name for themselves, get noticed, and ultimately be signed up to one of the main rosters. Although the majority of contenstants have fallen by the wayside, NXT has created stars. What i want to know is, who do you view as the best product created by NXT?

Wade Barrett.
Winner of NXT Season 1. Barrett led the Nexus Invasion on that memorable night on Raw. Barrett took to his role as leader like a duck to water and looked like he's been talking on the mic for years. The current Intercontinetal Champion and member of The Corre, Barrett has been spoken of as a potential future World Champion. Surely has a long career ahead of him.

Daniel Bryan.
After being eliminated in NXT Season 1, we saw Bryan as part of the Nexus before he was infamously fired from WWE for the Justin Roberts Tie Incident. Bryan then returned at Summerslam before going on to fued with The Miz and winning the United States Championship, the first person from NXT to hold a major singles title. A legend of the indys and a technical master, Bryan could get a 5 star classic out of a mop.

Alex Riley.
In Season 2, Alex Riley was the rookie for his pro The Miz. Although he didnt win NXT, Riley has been a regular figure on Raw as The Miz's apprentice and has taken part in various matches. After being blamed by The Miz for costing his mentor the WWE Title, Riley finally snapped and attacked his former 'boss' to the delight of the WWE Universe. Now competing as a face, Riley is a comfortable talker and seems destined to have a decent career as a mid card wrestler.

Brodus Clay.
Big Brodus cuts an impressive presence. His look is unique and was quickly taken under the wing of his 'Pro' Alberto Del Rio. Clay acted as Del Rio's bodyguard and took part in matches against Edge and Christian, both in singles and tag action. His monster heel persona ticks many boxes but after Del Rio's draft to Raw, Brodus has been left on his own and i feel he needs a mouthpiece to truly make an impact on Smackdown.

Justin Gabriel.
The high flyer from Sarf Afreekar. Gabriel was also part of the Nexus and is now a member of The Corre on Smackdown. A former WWE Tag Team Champion, Gabriel is best known for his excellent finisher - The 450 Splash. He's good looking and surely is a natural face and has been tipped to be a succesful mid card singles competitor.

I have 3 questions -

A) Do you view NXT as a success?
B) Who do you view as the best product of NXT?
C) Who do you think has the best chance of a long, succesful future in the WWE?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

The best product of NXT...? Empty Re: The best product of NXT...?

Post by Francis Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:47 am

I think NXT has been a huge success - the first 2 series more than the others (I cant think of a single participant of the latter series). I think the main idea was to test out the rookies on a bigger platform that FCW and see how they cope. Some did - other didnt... *cough* Titus O'Neill *cough*
NXT has given us Barret, Danielson, Slater, Gabriel, Clay, Riley, Otunga, McGillicutty & Kaval (albeit shortlived). At least a third of these names have the potential to stick around long term & considering 18 months ago the WWE had a crisis where there weren't enough up and comers in the ranks - having 4 added to that mix is a welcome addition.
Barret is likely to be the most successful, unfortunately I dont see Danielson staying more than a couple years as he isnt given the chance to properly showcase what he can do. Gabriel like you said will be a decent mid-carder as well as Riley. Slater will be cannon fodder unless he stays in the tag division & Clay, Otunga & McGillicutty will be long gone in a year from now.

The best thing has NXT has given us?

The Cena ass whooping during the Nexus debut.

Last edited by Francis on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

Francis

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:53 am

a) I don't think we can tell yet to be honest, although all of those guys have promise, so far I think they've been very badly used. Barrett, despite settling into the main event so quickly was buried, and I'm not sure whether he will recover. Daniel Bryan seems to be criminally under used, often an after thought, although I think he may be able to go further than most. Alex Riley is riding The Miz wave at the moment and it will be interesting to see whether he can carry on surfing afterwards. Brodus Clay hasn't had enough time really to see whether he will be a success. Justin is a highflyer, and could fill in the spot left by Jeff Hardy if played right, but I think he's more likely to just be a mid-carder highflyer, which isn't too bad I guess.

I don't think there are any other guys you can point to and say success, David Otunga has just blended into the background, Skip's injury basically put a huge emergency stop on his career. Darren Young, Michael Tarver and Heath Slater are all just after thoughts really.

b) I think Wade Barrett is probably the best we've seen come out of there. Although Daniel Bryan is good, I don't think we can put that down to NXT, he was elimiated early on, and then fired so he's had a harder job of building himself up from scratch on Raw, but he's done a good job of it. I really hope Barrett can recover, like I said for a), he settled into the main event very easily, and he didn't look out of place, he's not a bad wrestler, a good talker and has a good look, and I think considering I had no idea who he was before NXT, he is their best product.

c) Apparently Brodus Clay is gonna star in WWE's next horror flick, so if he's already part of their movies, maybe he could have a long future. Possibly take the hole that Kane will leave when he eventually retires. I can't see him ever being taken seriously as a contender, but like Kane could be a reliable monster heel for the faces to take on. Wade Barrett has the skills to have a long career, it's just whether WWE decided to use them and he manages to recover from his burials. I think Daniel Bryan could do it, WWE don't seem to be afraid to use him, I think he'll have more luck on Smackdown than he did on Raw, so hopefully he can rise up the ranks, especially now with the lack of faces to get behind on SD.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:02 am

I think NXT has been a complete total failure, they spent about 16 weeks on season 1 to define a winner and pick out 1 from the 8 who would be on but within 6 days of it ending they had all of them appear on RAW as a faction, the tasks where beyond stupid too, it would have been far more intresting to intergrate Nexus through ECW

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:08 am

Are you meaning having a group of former ECW stars having become the Nexus or having the Nexus run riot in ECW first before moving into Raw/Smackdown? The former sounds a great idea gaffer!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:26 am

I would have used ECW to promote FCW guys but nowhere near the rate NXT was spitting them out

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:49 am

It was something we've chatted about in using the third show to bloody the new guys to the business, I recall Gaffer came up with the idea of a NXT Gen belt in which only guys who'd not won another belt could go for and only within a certain amount of time of debuting which I thought was a great idea.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:29 am

I've always felt that it could be a good way to introduce talent

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:29 pm

i loved watching NXT, at one point it was the only show that guaranteed pure wrestling where it wasnt completely predicitable who would win each match. Tough enough seemed dull in comparison.

The problems started for NXT when they started letting the crowd made decisions, thats when you knew faces would always win. Although thankfully we didnt end up having to watch Derrick Bateman.

NXT allows them to make fully established gimmicks before they've even stepped foot on raw/sd

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:11 am

It's the exact same situation on FCW, all the guys on there have so much more freedom to create themselves and their move sets aren't watered down like they are when they make the jump to the main roster. Really annoys me!! censored

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down