The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
Fernando
Dolphin Ziggler
tigertattie
kingraf
TM Moot
JDizzle
BamBam
crazy_dave23
Forward Pass
Pr4wn
Number-25
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
skins4ever
gazzyD
twelve283
GSC
21 posters

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 16 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I mean are we even sure Gordon isn't a one year wonder who never stuck around for his drop off season.

A lot of hype for a guy who's had more near comebacks than games played in years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 16 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 16 Oct 2023, 6:19 pm

dummy_half wrote:WTF is happening at New England? The all time greatest head coach could soon be fired if things don't improve.
Lowlandbrit wrote:Jones to the Pats it is. Expecting a lot of 'if Belichick wanted him he must be great' in the short term, but even besides how often the Pats have hit on a top pick recently; when's the last time they really needed to? Pressure's on, Brady showed he can do it on his own...
Much like when the Seahawks were drafting guys two rounds ahead of any mock, turns out it's a lot easier to look smarter than everyone when you have a top QB winning games for you. That nonsense with Patricia last season would have seemed absurd in a comedy about a coach who doesn't know what he's doing too. Just feels like he bought into the idea that he's on another level and doesn't need to concern himself with what anyone else in the league is doing.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 16 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Pr4wn Mon 16 Oct 2023, 8:02 pm

Yeah this forum is looking a bit dead, sadly.

Agree with what's said above. Patriots have drafted and spent in FA very poorly over the last couple of years. Jones has no confidence at all.

NFC South looking like it's by far the weakest division in the NFL.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 17 Oct 2023, 3:02 pm

I think Olly was a bit harsh on Mac Jones* - had moments last year where he looked like a decent QB: good arm, excellent touch passing and OK mobility. Just that what he has around him is a load of rubbish. Compare with Purdy at SF who has really shone in a good setup (noticing how poor he was this week when both Samuel and McCaffrey were taken out of the game), despite being a much less touted propsect.

Also, it clearly takes time for even very talented QBs to find their feet, especially coming in to under par teams - Trevor Lawrence looked all at sea his first season, but is now well into the upper tier of starting QBs.

*Especially with Justin Fields in the league - the lad is a good running back, but can't throw the ball, which is something of a limitation in the modern NFL.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Wed 18 Oct 2023, 11:25 am

I was at the Tottenham games, I was disappointed by Buffalo, they never showed up.

Saying that, the Titans were worse, and Ravens weren't much better!

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 19 Oct 2023, 7:39 pm

TM Moot wrote:I was at the Tottenham games, I was disappointed by Buffalo, they never showed up.

Saying that, the Titans were worse, and Ravens weren't much better!

I mean, the Titans best offensive play, outside of one good Derrick Henry run, was the pass interference route to De'Andre Hopkins

Got a good few plays out of that one

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 02 Nov 2023, 12:04 pm

Gotta be honest, having played him twice a year, I'm mildly confused when Montez Sweat became a stud edge player. Good player sure but it feels strong for a guy who is a stronger run defender than pass rusher and has been the third/fourth best player on the DL most his career
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 12 Jan 2024, 4:42 pm

Coach firings/hirings (*=GM open too):
Chargers* - Out: Brandon Staley
Commanders*: Out: Ron Rivera
Falcons - Out: Arthur Smith
Panthers* - Out: Frank Reich
Patriots* - Out: Bill Belichick In: Jerod Mayo
Raiders* - Out: Josh McDaniels
Seahawks - Out: Pete Carroll
Titans - Out: Mike Vrabel

Belichick, Carroll and Vrabel probably competing for most surprising. The Pats immediately hiring Mayo feels like a continuity 'we know what we're doing and nobody else does' hire, and Vrabel being on the market too could make it awkward even from that angle.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Fri 12 Jan 2024, 5:23 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Belichick, Carroll and Vrabel probably competing for most surprising. The Pats immediately hiring Mayo feels like a continuity 'we know what we're doing and nobody else does' hire, and Vrabel being on the market too could make it awkward even from that angle.
If there was the option of firing Bill the GM and just letting him coach I would have taken that. Good luck to Mayo though, always liked him as a player.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 12 Jan 2024, 5:49 pm

Seems like an extreme amount of hubris to hire a guy who has only ever played and coached under a guy who has largely produced some of the worst HCs in the last 20 years. And to not even look at anyone on the market
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 27 Jan 2024, 10:28 am

Chargers - Out: Brandon Staley In: Jim Harbaugh
Commanders - Out: Ron Rivera
Falcons - Out: Arthur Smith In: Raheem Morris
Panthers - Out: Frank Reich In: Dave Canales
Patriots - Out: Bill Belichick In: Jerod Mayo
Raiders - Out: Josh McDaniels In: Antonio Pierce
Titans - Out: Mike Vrabel In: Brian Callahan

Big headlines are new college national champion Jim Harbaugh returning for another go at the NFL, and the Falcons deciding against hiring Belichick.

On the GM front, Commanders hired Adam Peters from the 49ers while the Raiders went with Tom Telesco off his firing by the Chargers. Seems to be broad consensus on which is the better idea. Panthers have promoted Dan Morgan, leaving just the Chargers with an opening.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun 28 Jan 2024, 3:59 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Chargers - Out: Brandon Staley In: Jim Harbaugh
Commanders - Out: Ron Rivera
Raiders  - Out: Josh McDaniels In: Antonio Pierce

Big headlines are new college national champion Jim Harbaugh returning for another go at the NFL, and the Falcons deciding against hiring Belichick.

On the GM front, Commanders hired Adam Peters from the 49ers while the Raiders went with Tom Telesco off his firing by the Chargers. Seems to be broad consensus on which is the better idea. Panthers have promoted Dan Morgan, leaving just the Chargers with an opening.
Not particularly inspiring, outside of Harbaugh. I'll be interested to see if Bill ever gets another HC gig, I doubt he will, definitely not with the level of control he had in NE.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 28 Jan 2024, 6:46 pm

If he doesn't get a gig this year, I can't see Bill coming back either... and he ain't getting one of the two jobs left, so I think with the Falcons job passing him by, he may well be done!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 02 Feb 2024, 2:06 pm

Chargers - Out: Brandon Staley In: Jim Harbaugh
Commanders - Out: Ron Rivera In: Dan Quinn
Raiders  - Out: Josh McDaniels In: Antonio Pierce
Seahawks - Out: Pete Carroll In: Mike Macdonald

Dan Quinn getting a second chance in Washington feels a little underwhelming but might end up being a good move. Although I've just seen he's supposed to want Chip Kelly as his OC...
Chargers got Joe Horitz to switch Harbaughs. Pats don't have a GM, but are apparently not actively looking.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 02 Feb 2024, 2:28 pm

Going from Ron Rivera to Dan Quinn is so hilariously Washington.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 04 Feb 2024, 12:41 pm

The damage control that Ben Johnson was too expensive, interviewed badly and they didn't really like him anyway was better
GSC
GSC

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 04 Feb 2024, 12:45 pm

And even that's topped by hiring Kliff Kingsbury
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 04 Feb 2024, 5:01 pm

GSC wrote:The damage control that Ben Johnson was too expensive, interviewed badly and they didn't really like him anyway was better

Interviewed so badly, they were on their way to interview him again (presumably for the lols) when he pulled out of the race
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 06 Feb 2024, 9:10 am

I see the athletic has kindly allowed the commanders front office to guest write an article

Really is something that you'd rather fire shots at a guy who turned you down, admitting your hire was, at best, third choice
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 07 Feb 2024, 6:31 pm

The Patriots fired Belichick then didn't bother searching for a coach or gm

Certainly bold
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 08 Feb 2024, 12:28 pm

Don’t hate the Mayo hire - he seems screwed on, isn’t afraid to look outside his inner circle for hires and hiring a coach is mainly luck anyway.

The GM thing seems much more of an issue. Bizarre they wouldn’t even interview externally as a fact finding mission at the very least.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Feb 2024, 2:35 pm

I disagree entirely hiring a coach is mainly luck. The logic used to assess coaching candidates is generally pretty flawed when looking at coordinating success imo. Teams that are prepared to cast a wide net and judge on more than that tend to do better imo.

Seems mostly hubris to just settle on Mayo without even talking to other candidates. Even if you then hired him after a search. Particularly given the Belichick tree is a disaster and Mayo has spent his entire NFL career under it
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 05 Mar 2024, 4:49 pm

Wilson is being released by the Broncos. Think it's pretty safe to declare a winner of that trade.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16