Brexit

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Brexit

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:02 am

First topic message reminder :

Duty281 wrote:So a good day for the Prime Minister, at last. Motion carried and some pesky amendments defeated.


Yes folks a good day for the PM is telling the Country over 50 times in the Commons the UK is leaving on the 29th March and then winning an extension..

What a low bar..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38731
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down


Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Hero on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm

They do know though in doing so pretty much screws over one of their own in Ireland.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28229
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 43
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Hero wrote:They do know though in doing so pretty much screws over one of their own in Ireland.
Qué sera. Guess there'll need to be an increase in ship-borne transport from somewhere like Cork to Brest. Solvable anyway, and I'd be surprised if the EU would allow themselves to be held hostage to that.
EU have the whip hand anyway. I suppose they could grant an A50 extension, knowing we'll be paying all the time we're staying in, having to take part in elections, be subject to ECJ etc. Knowing it'll be causing the Brexiteers sustained blood pressure problems. I'm sure they also suspect that the longer its delayed, the more chance there is of it never happening.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8268
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by superflyweight on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:48 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Hmm gets three shots in three months at getting her crap-ridden deal through Westminster but tells Scotland one referendum in 300+ years is enough. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Considering you had been trying for independence for decades and when the time came to decide...The SNP couldn't answer basic questions such as what currency they were going to adopt....Think of it as a blessing !!!..

May has a problem with MV3.....The DUP won't sell out (though they want to) unless the deal is assured to go through as they will look like muppets..30 ERG members however seem hellbent on not caving in and 30 Labour mps to replace them with is a big ask...



The Yes Movement shall we call it, as it is not only SNP voters who back and support Independence, said they'd have kept the pound in the interim. Bitter Together tried claiming Scotland could not do that. Well we know now that Bitter Together were again lying as since then the highest up members of the Bank of England said there is no reason whatsoever that Scotland independent could not keep the pound.

Anyway like I said Scotland got one say in 300+ years and May wanted 3 votes in 3 months. Bercow now having blocked attempt three on the grounds that the deal has not changed. Well I would say Scotland's deal in union has changed immeasurably since 2014 since we are being forced to leave the EU despite every constituence in Scoland voting to remain.
'Bitter Together'? Rolling Eyes
Technically, Scotland may have been able to use the pound, but pretty dumb to peg your currency to the economy of another nation. Not sure it's much more intelligent than not having a scooby what currency you'll have. Still, the SNP are the exemplars of perfect Government.

As to the last paragraph, suck it up I'm afraid.

If you watch on BBC i-Player there is a documentary going over the 2014 referendum. It explains Cameron as panicking in the last few days when secret polls had Yes with a 4% lead. Why panicked? It is something unionists cannot explain. They love telling the old crap about Scotland being potless, a drain on resources and in debt with the rest of the UK subsidising it. Hmm really? Meanwhile, independence backers are adamant Scotland is rich in resources and would thrive as an independent country. Cameron and other MPs panicking at the thought of independence seems to back up the latters viewpoint rather than the former.
There are other things than money, you know. Of course independence backers would say Scotland is more than capable of going it alone. Ditto Unionists saying the opposite. It's called bias.
What's unavoidable is the SNP's laughable ideas on how it would have worked last time.
TBH, I'm ambivalent about it all now. Scottish independence? Brexit? Who give s a **** any more? May as well all be selfish b*stards.

Not to MP's there aren't. They continue to try to brainwash Scots into believing they are too small, too poor, too weak etc to go it alone and we are subsidised. Next you will be claiming MPs are nostalgic about Scotland being in the UK and that is the whole reason. You are entitled to feel as ambivalent as you want about political matters but likewise there are seven figure numbers of people that care very strongly about Scottish independence and even more so as the Brexit bus hurtles towards the edge of a cliff at breakneck speed with a total disregard for those on board.

Scotland's public sector is subsidised through the Barnett Formula - it works out to the tune of about £1,800 per person per year (or roughly £8 - £9 billion).  An independent Scotland would have to compensate for the loss of that subsidy (either by cutting public spending or by increasing taxes).  

Of course, Scotland does contribute significantly to the UK economy but it also benefits from the system of pooling and sharing that has developed over the past few hundred years.

None of this means that Scotland couldn't survive and even thrive as an independent country but there needs to be some recognition of hurdles that need to be overcome and a clear idea of how those hurdles will be cleared before that could happen.  I've yet to see the SNP or the wider Yes movement attempt to properly address the following basic questions:


  • why should we want to retain the UK pound given that we would be sharing a currency with a country with a different economic model from our own (e.g. RUK would be a net oil importer whereas Scotland would be a net oil exporter) and we would have no say in the operation of that currency?


  • what happens if we're not granted automatic entry into the EU and have to go through the entry process which may take a few years?  What trade arrangements will be put in place to cover that period?


  • are we prepared to adopt the Euro as our currency as a condition of our membership of the EU?  If so, are we comfortable that the EU will have control over the levels of our public spending (the current levels of public spending in Scotland are far in excess of the current EU requirements)?  Are we prepared to accept that this might impact on Scotland's ability to deliver the socialist utopia that is being painted by the independence movement?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 6329
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : Right here waiting for you

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Can the Scottish independence stuff go in a Scotland thread?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 22752
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 30
Location : Wollongong

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Hero on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Can the Scottish independence stuff go in a Scotland thread?

They voted on it and decided to keep it in here unfortunately.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28229
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 43
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 pm

Hero wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Can the Scottish independence stuff go in a Scotland thread?

They voted on it and decided to keep it in here unfortunately.
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8268
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:11 pm

Macron threatening to veto A50 extension..

What a mess..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38731
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by lostinwales on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Macron threatening to veto A50 extension..

What a mess..

To be fair without any concrete progress and no changes in the offing why should they? Unless May offers something concrete, e.g. another vote or a GE, there will be no progress and next to no chance of a further extension, just another 3 months of can kicking. The short extension with nothing else on the table would all but guarantee a no deal brexit, and we would not be any more prepared for it when it happens than we are now.

It is all insane.

lostinwales

Posts : 8635
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 pm

It's looking like it'll be a no-deal exit on the 29th...unless May's deal gets through Parliament sometime next week.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by lostinwales on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Duty281 wrote:It's looking like it'll be a no-deal exit on the 29th...unless May's deal gets through Parliament sometime next week.

The worst of all possible options, and all down to May's intransigence, with a little help from Corbyn stifling the opposition.

No chance of a deal going through.

lostinwales

Posts : 8635
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Samo on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Parliament already rejected No Deal, so its down to whether MP’s have the integrity to vote to Revoke A50 or would rather keep their jobs and let us walk off the cliff.

Samo

Posts : 4757
Join date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:20 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Duty281 wrote:It's looking like it'll be a no-deal exit on the 29th...unless May's deal gets through Parliament sometime next week.

No chance of a deal going through.

Wouldn't be so sure. Faced with a binary choice of deal or no deal, with no realistic chance of other options, enough MPs may pick the 'deal' option as the one they feel is the least worse. It only requires 75 MPs to change their minds from last time.

Of course, it initially depends on May even being allowed to get her deal up for debate again by the Speaker.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Three Tories so far who were minded to vote for the MV3 have changed their mind already because of Missy May's latest stunt..

Looking at 40+ Labour mps having to switch....Which won't happen I imagine because they will think they still have time to revoke A50....Looking like Monday for the vote..

In other news some businessman has given Johnson £15,000 for a future Leadership bid..

My guess is Hunt v Johnson..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38731
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by superflyweight on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Three Tories so far who were minded to vote for the MV3 have changed their mind already because of Missy May's latest stunt..

Looking at 40+ Labour mps having to switch....Which won't happen I imagine because they will think they still have time to revoke A50....Looking like Monday for the vote..

In other news some businessman has given Johnson £15,000 for a future Leadership bid..

My guess is Hunt v Johnson..

C*nt v C*nt.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 6329
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : Right here waiting for you

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:58 pm

Hunt? Can’t see him winning votes in any areas they’d target.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 22752
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 30
Location : Wollongong

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Unless it's Gene Hunt.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Won't win if Johnson reaches the last two..But I get your point....Though I think Hunt beats Corbyn but not Thornberry..

I think Corbyn goes this year..

Johnson needs 90 odd mps to get to the final ballot..60 Mogg and his mates and perhaps promise 30 more mps some decent jobs.

But who knows ??




TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38731
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by No name Bertie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Duty281 wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Duty281 wrote:It's looking like it'll be a no-deal exit on the 29th...unless May's deal gets through Parliament sometime next week.

No chance of a deal going through.

Wouldn't be so sure. Faced with a binary choice of deal or no deal, with no realistic chance of other options, enough MPs may pick the 'deal' option as the one they feel is the least worse. It only requires 75 MPs to change their minds from last time.

Of course, it initially depends on May even being allowed to get her deal up for debate again by the Speaker.
Could not the UK Prime Minister declare a national emergency or something & overrule the Speaker?

I think the key point of Brexit was that the EC & EU could no longer enforce the British Parliament to pass European Directives into UK Law - hence British Parliament & through National Election, the British Public become sovereign in terms of what goes in and out of British Statutory Law.

With Mays Brexit Deal - surely that is what Britain will be getting & presumably Britain would be able to renegotiate its dealings with the EU in future as part of an ongoing process.


Last edited by No name Bertie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

No name Bertie

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:46 pm

It won't pass...

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38731
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by No name Bertie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Why won't Corbyn back May's Deal? He presents himself as the man who aims to bring peace and to resolve major problems. He will even become friends with the likes of Hamas and the IRA in order to help resolve pressing problems.

No name Bertie

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:27 pm

No name Bertie wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Duty281 wrote:It's looking like it'll be a no-deal exit on the 29th...unless May's deal gets through Parliament sometime next week.

No chance of a deal going through.

Wouldn't be so sure. Faced with a binary choice of deal or no deal, with no realistic chance of other options, enough MPs may pick the 'deal' option as the one they feel is the least worse. It only requires 75 MPs to change their minds from last time.

Of course, it initially depends on May even being allowed to get her deal up for debate again by the Speaker.
Could not the UK Prime Minister declare a national emergency or something & overrule the Speaker?

Highly unlikely. More chance of her finding a workaround or begging and pleading to get the deal up for discussion.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Samo on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 pm

Saw this on Twitter and it seems a fair solution Parliament should consider (but likely wont):

"Revoke A50, under the express understanding that the UK commits to a period of public inquiry and reflection, with the objective a full public and informed choice on all real options and costs. Revocation shouldnt be a victory for any party, but a chance for consensus between them"

As much as it would pain the people who believe they voted for No Deal, its in their best interests that No Deal doesnt happen because they're the ones who'll suffer the most.

Samo

Posts : 4757
Join date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It won't pass...

Wouldn't be so sure. As I said at the time, it was bizarre that May presented a choice of deal OR no deal OR extension the last time round, because it gave MPs who don't support the first two options a get-out clause. Faced with a choice of a rubbish deal versus (what is considered) an even worse no deal exit, enough Labour MPs might say yes to the former to avoid the latter.

I wouldn't know how to call the third MV if it happens. Ladbrokes has it at 2/1 that the deal is approved by Parliament.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:16 pm

Samo wrote:Saw this on Twitter and it seems a fair solution Parliament should consider (but likely wont):

"Revoke A50, under the express understanding that the UK commits to a period of public inquiry and reflection, with the objective a full public and informed choice on all real options and costs.  Revocation shouldnt be a victory for any party, but a chance for consensus between them"

As much as it would pain the people who believe they voted for No Deal, its in their best interests that No Deal doesnt happen because they're the ones who'll suffer the most.
Pie-in-the-sky, given the polarisation we have now, but guess it's possible. Of course, that's what effectively should have happened first. Cameron should have said he'd look into it and commissioned all the necessary impact studies from reputable bodies/Institutes etc. Only after that, should he have even considered the referendum (honestly, what cretin jumps before seeing what he's getting in to?). He/they should have reminded everyone that the referendum was advisory and that, having heard the public's voice, Parliament would now look into whether it was actually something that should happen. Only then, if deemed to be a net win, should A50 have been triggered. They're morons though, so of course that sort of thing didn't happen.

Most of those that voted out don't believe they'll be suffering the most, if at all.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8268
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by No name Bertie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:19 pm

... accidentally overwrote.

Restored:
No name Bertie wrote:There are only two options now available:
Option 1) No Deal. Brexit occurs Friday 29th March 2019.
Option 2) May's Deal. Brexit occurs Wednesday 22nd May 2019.

It is up to Parliament to decide. In the event of May's Deal not going to Parliament or being rejected by Parliament then Option 1 becomes the only option.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47660019


Last edited by No name Bertie on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

No name Bertie

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Duty281 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It won't pass...

Wouldn't be so sure. As I said at the time, it was bizarre that May presented a choice of deal OR no deal OR extension the last time round, because it gave MPs who don't support the first two options a get-out clause. Faced with a choice of a rubbish deal versus (what is considered) an even worse no deal exit, enough Labour MPs might say yes to the former to avoid the latter.

I wouldn't know how to call the third MV if it happens. Ladbrokes has it at 2/1 that the deal is approved by Parliament.

2/1 is still an outside bet....In a 2 horse race..

The DUP won't sell out if they think 50 ERG will stop it going through.....Because they will look like muppets..


TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38731
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Samo on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 pm

No name Bertie wrote:There are only two options now available:
Option 1) No Deal.   Brexit occurs Friday 29th March 2019.
Option 2) May's Deal.  Brexit occurs Wednesday 22nd May 2019.

It is up to Parliament to decide.  In the event of May's Deal not going to Parliament or being rejected by Parliament then Option 1 becomes the only option.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47660019

Option 3) No Brexit.

Samo

Posts : 4757
Join date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Hero on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Option 4: The deal fails, EU puts forth long extension option with caveat of 2nd referendum included.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28229
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 43
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It won't pass...

Wouldn't be so sure. As I said at the time, it was bizarre that May presented a choice of deal OR no deal OR extension the last time round, because it gave MPs who don't support the first two options a get-out clause. Faced with a choice of a rubbish deal versus (what is considered) an even worse no deal exit, enough Labour MPs might say yes to the former to avoid the latter.

I wouldn't know how to call the third MV if it happens. Ladbrokes has it at 2/1 that the deal is approved by Parliament.

2/1 is still an outside bet....In a 2 horse race..

The DUP won't sell out if they think 50 ERG will stop it going through.....Because they will look like muppets..


It is an outside bet, but it's a lot closer than the 33/1 that was available for the second MV.

And whether it passes or not won't be up to the ERG or the DUP, it'll be up to Labour MPs, predominantly.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:08 pm

No name Bertie wrote:There are only two options now available:
Option 1) No Deal.   Brexit occurs Friday 29th March 2019.
Option 2) May's Deal.  Brexit occurs Wednesday 22nd May 2019.

It is up to Parliament to decide.  In the event of May's Deal not going to Parliament or being rejected by Parliament then Option 1 becomes the only option.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47660019

Pretty much, though the EU27 are still bickering about the extension end date.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by superflyweight on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:57 pm

Subtext from the EU is ask for a significantly longer extension during which you can pull yourselves together and we'll give you one.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 6329
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : Right here waiting for you

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by rodders on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:10 pm

No name Bertie wrote:There are only two options now available:
Option 1) No Deal.   Brexit occurs Friday 29th March 2019.
Option 2) May's Deal.  Brexit occurs Wednesday 22nd May 2019.

It is up to Parliament to decide.  In the event of May's Deal not going to Parliament or being rejected by Parliament then Option 1 becomes the only option.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47660019

April 12th actually, in which time parliament will agree on a long extension to 2021 and electing MEPs. This will allow time for GE and second referendum, the former pretty soon as I expect May will resign once her deal is booted out again.

The tories are already gearing up for a leadership contest between Johnson and Hammond.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25285
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm intrigued to know what the Tories will be campaigning on at the next election. 'We're the people who have ballsed up Brexit, which was our idea in the first place'? Can they claim to be the party of business after the uncertainty they've subjected businesses to? There's barely an area of government that they're not mismanaging. They can point to low unemployment levels, but if jobs don't pay enough to take people out of poverty, is that much to crow about? The cabinet is full of ghouls and incompetents (hi, Chris Grayling). There's huge discontent in the country, and it's been on their watch.

My guess is that their best asset will be Corbyn. It'll be a campaign of nasty, negative, personal attacks, and it'll do quite well for them.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 23651
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It'll be a campaign of nasty, negative, personal attacks, and it'll do quite well for them.

Just like the last two GE campaigns then - 'if you don't vote Conservative, you'll have a Labour government with Nicola Sturgeon pulling the strings'.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Samo on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:11 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It'll be a campaign of nasty, negative, personal attacks, and it'll do quite well for them.

Just like the last two GE campaigns then - 'if you don't vote Conservative, you'll have a Labour government with Nicola Sturgeon pulling the strings'.

I'd rather than than the Tories with Arlene Foster pulling the strings.

Samo

Posts : 4757
Join date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Samo wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It'll be a campaign of nasty, negative, personal attacks, and it'll do quite well for them.

Just like the last two GE campaigns then - 'if you don't vote Conservative, you'll have a Labour government with Nicola Sturgeon pulling the strings'.

I'd rather than than the Tories with Arlene Foster pulling the strings.
Last one out, switch off the lights...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8268
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by superflyweight on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It'll be a campaign of nasty, negative, personal attacks, and it'll do quite well for them.

Just like the last two GE campaigns then - 'if you don't vote Conservative, you'll have a Labour government with Nicola Sturgeon pulling the strings'.

Project Fear.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 6329
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : Right here waiting for you

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by lostinwales on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:36 pm

No name Bertie wrote:Why won't Corbyn back May's Deal?  He presents himself as the man who aims to bring peace and to resolve major problems.  He will even become friends with the likes of Hamas and the IRA in order to help resolve pressing problems.

That there is part of the problem. He'll talk to Hamas and the IRA but won't talk to TIG and barely talks to any of the other opposition parties. There is a long list of idiots who have contributed to the current situation, with May sitting at the top and Cameron not far behind. Corbyn isn't far off these two

lostinwales

Posts : 8635
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by rodders on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:30 pm

lostinwales wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:Why won't Corbyn back May's Deal?  He presents himself as the man who aims to bring peace and to resolve major problems.  He will even become friends with the likes of Hamas and the IRA in order to help resolve pressing problems.

That there is part of the problem. He'll talk to Hamas and the IRA but won't talk to TIG and barely talks to any of the other opposition parties. There is a long list of idiots who have contributed to the current situation, with May sitting at the top and Cameron not far behind. Corbyn isn't far off these two

I'd say way out on top are Johnson. Farraige and Rees Mogg.

Corbyn and May haven't helped by being weak leaders but certainly aren't to blame for the current mess, which was caused by the last referendum. Everything since then has just been a poor attempt at damage limitation.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25285
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by dummy_half on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Rodders

I think you have to add Cameron to the first list.

Called the referendum without clarifying what the 'leave' option meant.
Then went to Brussels to try and get some preferential deal for the UK as a member (so allowing the media to cast the EU as the big bad bully when they didn't budge)
Then didn't really campaign on the benefits of the EU - let the Leave campaign set the agenda and then shout Remain down with the 'Project Fear' slogan.

I think May has been incompetent and amazingly tone deaf, and has been too focused on the Conservative Party and not enough on the country, but she was handed a poison chalice as soon as Boris decided not to run for the leadership after stuntman Dave's resignation.

dummy_half

Posts : 4979
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 47
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Afro on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Can you imagine where we'd be if Boris had run for leadership, won and then been in charge of Brexit negotiations Shocked
Afro
Afro
Admin
Admin

Posts : 31074
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 100

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:26 pm

Speaking of Boris, I thought it was amusing that Andrea Leadsom apparently complained during the week that it was a Remainer cabinet. Well surely that's because a lot of the Brexiters resigned? Blame them!

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 23651
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Afro on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Speaking of Boris, I thought it was amusing that Andrea Leadsom apparently complained during the week that it was a Remainer cabinet. Well surely that's because a lot of the Brexiters resigned? Blame them!

So it seems the Leavers don't want to hang around and fix something, but just get out of it. Ironic!
Afro
Afro
Admin
Admin

Posts : 31074
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 100

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 pm

It would appear that way.... Whistle

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 23651
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by lostinwales on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:06 pm

rodders wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:Why won't Corbyn back May's Deal?  He presents himself as the man who aims to bring peace and to resolve major problems.  He will even become friends with the likes of Hamas and the IRA in order to help resolve pressing problems.

That there is part of the problem. He'll talk to Hamas and the IRA but won't talk to TIG and barely talks to any of the other opposition parties. There is a long list of idiots who have contributed to the current situation, with May sitting at the top and Cameron not far behind. Corbyn isn't far off these two

I'd say way out on top are Johnson. Farraige and Rees Mogg.

Corbyn and May haven't helped by being weak leaders but certainly aren't to blame for the current mess, which was caused by the last referendum. Everything since then has just been a poor attempt at damage limitation.

Referendum was dumb and 'advisory' which is the only reason it wasn't thrown out. May knows about the illegal behaviour around it. But the dumbest action of all was activating article 50 with no plan and no idea whatsoever. That particular action is all May with Corbyn cheering on in the background. For all their bluster, lies and general noise the ERG and other brexiteers have been a side show.

Over recent months May has taken over the process. She negotiated the best deal she could in the circumstances, but it is still so poor that nobody wants it. That she has got away with so much is partially down to an ineffectual opposition that has had endless opportunities to skewer this minority government over the Brexit lies, but have chosen not to. In the process they have been shedding MP's - I think it is something like 19 over the course of this parliament so far - which is a huge indictment of Corbyn. A properly able and charismatic (and yes - probably more centrist) Labour leader could have united the opposition parties and maybe attracted enough Conservative waverers to take the whole process down a more sensible and realistic route.

The only sensible response to the stupid referendum would have been a proper investigation of the hows and the whys. The development of realistic plans and honesty about the consequences, ideally followed by a more informed referendum and then, if a good case has been made for it and we are all still prepared to buy into it, activation of A50. Reality has so far been the precise opposite.


lostinwales

Posts : 8635
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by lostinwales on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Afro wrote:Can you imagine where we'd be if Boris had run for leadership, won and then been in charge of Brexit negotiations Shocked

Water cannons for everyone!

lostinwales

Posts : 8635
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:20 am

Looks like she is pulling her vote next week.

Shambles...Complete shambles.

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38731
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Duty281 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:40 am

Yep that's expected with the short extension now in place until April 12th. Gives May more time to dither and pretend she's in control of the situation.

Could well mean European Parliament elections take place. Over to Nigel.

Duty281

Posts : 20787
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 24
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Pr4wn on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:34 am

With his 20 walkers that he's charging £50 each while he sits in a pub drinking?

Pr4wn
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4997
Join date : 2011-03-09
Location : Manila, Philippines

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:22 am

Nigel only goes to the pub when the cameras are on. He’s got Russian pals to meet in London otherwise.

Corbyn can be put hugely to blame for this for ignoring what his party and members wanted, being snidely “weak” during the campaigning and presenting such a poor alternative as a party leader that the shambles has been allowed to roll on and on with the Tories. He does all thatbwhilst being a petty little goit who has allowed his party to harbour a real anti Semitic threat.

I’d love for him to prove that wrong, but he finds ample opportunity not to.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 22752
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 30
Location : Wollongong

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum