The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

+28
chickp
Heuer27
WELL-PAST-IT
Shifty
TheMildlyFranticLlama
mikey_dragon
funnyExiledScot
NeilyBroon
nickj
Tattie Scones RRN
hugehandoff
reallybored
propdavid_london
EST
LordDowlais
bsando
Anglobraveheart
tigertattie
Tramptastic
profitius
demosthenes
maestegmafia
George Carlin
LondonTiger
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
RDW
32 posters

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 8 Empty Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by BigGee Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:39 am

First topic message reminder :

So after a mixed bag in the first two games, we now face a difficult away trip to Tiblisi followed 6 days later by hosting the same team at home at Murrayfield.

With the travelling involved, a 6 hour flight apparently, as well as a Georgian team with a lot to prove playing in front of a crowd of 50,000, this ill no doubt be a serious test and an indication of what playing in a hostile environment in unpleasant conditions will be like. A dress rehersal for the Japan game in many ways.

So who does he play first up?

The squad is being finalised after the away game, but you would imagine that he is not going to want to waste any spaces on players that he has already made his mind up about.

He certainly is not going to risk any injured players, so that rules out Thompson, Skinner, Seymour for sure, along with the possibity of Taylor, Bradbury, Gray and we are not sure if Brown and Johnson will be fit either.

I am going to assume that none of them are ready to travel and have a stab at a team along these lines:

1. Reid
2. McInally
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gilchrist
5. Cummings
6. Wilson
7. Ritchie
8. Fagerson M
9. Horne G
10. Hastings
11. Graham
12. Hutchinson
13. Jones
14. Maitland
15. Kinghorn

Subs
Berghan
Turner
Nel
Toolis
Barclay
Price
Horne P
Harris

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 8 Empty Re: Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:08 pm

Get on with it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 8 Empty Re: Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:09 pm

Is it a SRU "fireworks in broad daylight" special build up?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:11 pm

I think RDW is also right to point out the issues in the back row. As with the centres where I didn't see Toonie dropping both Jones and Hutchinson, I also didn't see him dumping both Bradbury and Fagerson. We are placing a huge amount of faith in Blade, who has done nothing to earn this.

I'm sorry but this is just a poor selection, plain and simple. Toonie has joined the Scotland Seletor Hall of Fame, to join Frank Haddock and Andy Robinson.

Let's just hope we don't have to watch Bundee Aki running at Pete Horne under any circumstances. These games are pre-watershed in the UK, so extensive use of pixelation might be required.

I wonder what the players make of this?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:12 pm

Probably not too happy. Expect toonie to be out soon.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think RDW is also right to point out the issues in the back row. As with the centres where I didn't see Toonie dropping both Jones and Hutchinson, I also didn't see him dumping both Bradbury and Fagerson. We are placing a huge amount of faith in Blade, who has done nothing to earn this.

I'm sorry but this is just a poor selection, plain and simple. Toonie has joined the Scotland Seletor Hall of Fame, to join Frank Haddock and Andy Robinson.

Let's just hope we don't have to watch Bundee Aki running at Pete Horne under any circumstances. These games are pre-watershed in the UK, so extensive use of pixelation might be required.

I wonder what the players make of this?

I agree, the back-row is more baffling than the centre situation. Thomson is a fine players, but he's not a big ball carrier. We effectively don't have one in our team, aside from perhaps Watson and McInally. I don't quite understand how Toonie has messed this up so badly.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:18 pm

McInally confirmed captain - well done to him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:19 pm

They're announcing it in a weird order - from highest caps down?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:20 pm

The Wally in the Brolly?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:22 pm

Pete Horne confirmed. He didn't get booed!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:23 pm

RDW wrote:Pete Horne confirmed. He didn't get booed!

To be fair there seems to be a handful of school boys and some SRU officials present. The rain is not helping, but that presentation looks painful.

The players look cold, wet and miserable standing on that stand

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:24 pm

This is so overblown - just get on with it FFS

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:24 pm

Reid wins the battle of the reserve looseheads.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:25 pm

Amateur hour.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:26 pm

EST wrote:This is so overblown - just get on with it FFS

Got it on mute - is Townsend actually saying anything interesting as he gives a speech for each player?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:27 pm

Well done fatty Reid.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:27 pm

Just a bit of history about them - their first cap, if they were Lions, number of tries etc.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:28 pm

Do you think they may count the heads at the end and go "Oh bugger that is only 30."

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:29 pm

George Tuner the 3rd hooker.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:30 pm

Think it's fair to say the leaked squad looks to be correct.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:31 pm

Toolis and Kinghorn make it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:34 pm

Perhaps he'll accidentally read out Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones' stats, "10 tries in 22 tests?? f*ck that's quite good. Who'd have thought?", "Rory Hutchinson, two tries in three tests, who are these lads?", "ah now for the maestro, Christopher James "Chris" Harris is a British automotive journalist, racing driver and television presenter. Harris has worked as a reviewer, writer and editor for many automotive magazines, both in print and digital, including Evo, Autocar and Jalopnik, never missed a tackle in an international rugby game, amazing what you find on wikipedia, isn't it? Hope you're watching Vern, at least I didn't pick Al Strokosch"

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:36 pm

Forwards
Barclay
Berghan
Brown
Cummings
Dell
Fagerson
Gilchrist
Gray
Mcinally
Nel
Reid
Ritchie
Thompson
Toolis
Turner
Watson
Wilson

Backs
Graham
Harris
Hogg
Horne (George)
Horne (Peter)
Johnson
Kinghorn
Laidlaw
Maitland
Price
Russell
Seymour
Taylor

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:38 pm

Expect to see Dave Rennie at Scotstoun with a big grin on his face and a sign reading "Welcome Home Huwie", if there's one positive from this it's the reunion of Scottish Rugby's favourite father and son esque relationship.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:39 pm

Who was the guy on the back row with the heavily bleached mop of hair?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Who was the guy on the back row with the heavily bleached mop of hair?

And teh guys in shirts, ties and blazers?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:41 pm

Toonie was a great selector at club but at international he has f all idea. I'd actually like us to be knocked out so that toonie is forced out.

No gameplan, poor selection, consistent decline. There's a reason we flopped so badly this 6Ns and in Nice. And it wasn't just injuries.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:41 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Who was the guy on the back row with the heavily bleached mop of hair?
Grant Stewart 3rd choice hooker I believe

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:42 pm

Barclay
Wilson
Watson
Ritchie
Thomson

Absolutely no ball carrying ability outwith Watson. This is going to be our undoing.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:42 pm

Truth is, we don't know what kind of a player Blade Thompson is at international level.

He has played one half so far and was tidy without being spectacular.

He is also a significant injury risk.

I think he can consider himself very lucky to be in the squad.

I do hope he turns out to be the player Toonie thinks he is, but the jury is very much out at the moment.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:43 pm

bsando wrote:
Grant Stewart 3rd choice hooker I believe

It was Harris, Stewart not going, Turner is third hooker

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:43 pm

Wow, that centre selection is a real surprise.

Not sure of Jones recent form but he's given England problems every time we've played you recently, that's the kind of talent that is needed with your game plan I would have thought!

I can't see how the steady eddie approach is going to trouble Ireland, and I wouldn't fancy chasing a deficit against Japan at home with a limited midfield either, so for your sakes I hope they don't get an early lead!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:53 pm

BamBam wrote:Wow, that centre selection is a real surprise.

Not sure of Jones recent form but he's given England problems every time we've played you recently, that's the kind of talent that is needed with your game plan I would have thought!

I can't see how the steady eddie approach is going to trouble Ireland, and I wouldn't fancy chasing a deficit against Japan at home with a limited midfield either, so for your sakes I hope they don't get an early lead!

And so say all of us! Except Toonie.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:54 pm

Well at least i can be happy for japan now. They may have their first QF spot in history. Just annoyed we're the ones who are going to give it to them.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:55 pm

BamBam wrote:Wow, that centre selection is a real surprise.

I think you will probably tell from the general mood on this thread, that not many (or even any) of us would disagree with that analysis of the situation!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 03 Sep 2019, 1:57 pm

I’m optimistic about this squad if they can perform to their potential. The big talking point is obviously Jones and Hutchinson missing out for Horne and Harris. However that could mean little if Taylor and Johnson are starting all the important games. Horne is an excellent bench option and as I mentioned in a different Scotland thread, he often has his best games off the bench. 

The backrow is strong in my opinion and Thomson adds extra muscle and good hands at 8. Barclay and Watson either side of him provide experience and poaching with the pinball wizard getting Scotland on the front foot. 

Dell, Stewart, McInally, Brown, Fagerson are all good mobile forwards which suit the Scottish gameplan and Nel is fairly mobile too. Probably not as good as his dummy then 40m sprint for a try days but still pretty decent! 

Darcy vs Kinghorn was a big talking point and the fact their both going is a good decision I think as they’re the future. Seymour and Maitland still first choice but nice to know they have some competition.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:01 pm

bsando wrote:I’m optimistic about this squad if they can perform to their potential. The big talking point is obviously Jones and Hutchinson missing out for Horne and Harris. However that could mean little if Taylor and Johnson are starting all the important games. Horne is an excellent bench option and as I mentioned in a different Scotland thread, he often has his best games off the bench. 

The backrow is strong in my opinion and Thomson adds extra muscle and good hands at 8. Barclay and Watson either side of him provide experience and poaching with the pinball wizard getting Scotland on the front foot. 

Dell, Stewart, McInally, Brown, Fagerson are all good mobile forwards which suit the Scottish gameplan and Nel is fairly mobile too. Probably not as good as his dummy then 40m sprint for a try days but still pretty decent! 

Darcy vs Kinghorn was a big talking point and the fact their both going is a good decision I think as they’re the future. Seymour and Maitland still first choice but nice to know they have some competition.

I am glad someone is talking things up Bsando, the rest of us seem to have virtually given up all hope, which probably is an over reaction!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:14 pm

I'll get over it. But it really does seem like a mental selection. And not in a good way.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:21 pm

Well Big Gee I thought Stewart was going instead of Turner so maybe everyone has it right and I’m on another planet Laugh 

Team to start Ireland?

Dell, McInally, Nel
GG, Gray
Barclay, Watson
Thomson
Laidlaw
Russell
Johnson, Taylor
Seymour
Hogg 

Bench: Brown, Reid, Fagerson, Cummings, Wilson, Price, Horne, Kinghorn

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:24 pm

bsando wrote:Well Big Gee I thought Stewart was going instead of Turner so maybe everyone has it right and I’m on another planet Laugh 

Team to start Ireland?

Dell, McInally, Nel
GG, Gray
Barclay, Watson
Thomson
Laidlaw
Russell
Johnson, Taylor
Seymour
Hogg 

Bench: Brown, Reid, Fagerson, Cummings, Wilson, Price, Horne, Kinghorn

Only 14 Bsando? It has been a long afternoon.

Assume you mean Maitland on the other wing?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:30 pm

Thompson and Taylor have played about 80mins international rugby between them in 2yrs . So form wasnt a factor in selection Smile

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:30 pm

Thompson and Taylor have played about 80mins international rugby between them in 2yrs . So form wasnt a factor in selection Smile

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:35 pm

I can see the chat at HQ

“Hey boss, what’s the plan?”

“Today pinkie, were going to try to take over the world”

“How we gonna do that boss?”

“We’re going to rest our best squad before the QF so vs Japan were playing Hastings at 10, Horne at 12 and Harris at 13”

And that ladies and gentlemen is how Japan got to their first rugby QF
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 03 Sep 2019, 2:49 pm

So everything is pretty much as we expected except for the back up centres  Crying or Very sad and no ball carrying 8. Crying or Very sad

Positives?
Darcy Graham and King Blarehorn join Hoggy, No Maits and Seymour. Lots of pace and pep in any back three from that lot.

Cummings is on the plane. I always like to see hard work and good form rewarded, Graham comes under this category too.

IF, big IF, Johnson and Taylor click (and DT stays fit) they play Ireland and Samoa then skip Russa which means they should be  
fresh for Japan. Horne and Harris should be too much for Russia. I imagine Dancer will play first, second and fourth games too.

I know it will sound heretical....but the fella who can't get into the Noocassell side has been working like a Trojan in training
(apparently) and looked to have made real improvement against France.I know I'm repeating myself, but Frodo's part  in Toolis' try                                                                                           was straight out of the Aldi Price/ Wee George playbook .  This suggests to me that certain players are getting on board with the training and whether we see it or not, like it or not, Toonie is picking people who he thinks will carry out his gameplan.

Personally, I am more disappointed that Matt F is not travelling rather than Not A Pony. Over the season for Glasgow and the warm ups Fagerson has looked a very good player. Pony hasn't (even though he can be an outstanding attacker).

I can only assume that Brown and Gray will play on Friday, probably Thompson too. I wonder what odds you would get on all three of them finishing the match in one piece. Fingers Crossed

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 3:14 pm

The squad selection has raised some queries over Toonie's team selections for the first 3 warm ups.

For example why select Hutchinson for the first 3 games - and most importantly why start him over Taylor - when it clearly didn't' matter how he played he wasn't going to be picked? Taylor is absolutely desperate for minutes and if SJ-Taylor is going to be our centre combo against Ireland (it could be Harris...) they could be going into it only having played once together! Not exactly ideal against Aki/Henshaw/Ringrose.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 3:14 pm

I suppose the real bonus is for Glasgow in getting a few players back for the season, Fagerson and Jones in particular.

Friday will need to see Johnson and Taylor together. Our first choice centre pairing has never ever played together. Any other tier one teams in the same predicament?? Thought not. Might mean Russell has to start as well. Never too late to try and build some chemistry in the midfield.

Same with the back row, who need to function as a unit. Thomson surely needs to see off the full 80 minutes, so I guess Barclay and Watson will need to start for the sake of familiarity.

We are in a mess, make no mistake.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 3:16 pm

RDW wrote:The squad selection has raised some queries over Toonie's team selections for the first 3 warm ups.

For example why select Hutchinson for the first 3 games - and most importantly why start him over Taylor - when it clearly didn't' matter how he played he wasn't going to be picked? Taylor is absolutely desperate for minutes and if SJ-Taylor is going to be our centre combo against Ireland (it could be Harris...) they could be going into it only having played once together! Not exactly ideal against Aki/Henshaw/Ringrose.

Just made the same point. We are throwing players into a World Cup and there are key combinations that have NEVER played together. Staggering incompetence!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Sep 2019, 3:35 pm

Have SJ-Harris played together? We're all assuming Taylor will be starting 13!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

RDW wrote:Have SJ-Harris played together? We're all assuming Taylor will be starting 13!

Some very quick research suggests that SJ and Harris played 23 minutes together against Italy, and 24 minutes against England. Plenty time to gel....

I wonder what the stats are for Parkes and JD2, or Aki and Ringrose/Henshaw.

I know we've been unlucky with injuries, but nothing suggests to me that Toonie is a clear thinker with a plan.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 03 Sep 2019, 4:07 pm

I’ve come up with a positive for Wilson.

If he’s on the bench then he can cover any of the back row positions with equal levels of mediocrity

That’s it. That’s all I have
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 4:16 pm

Wilson was solid against France, although he did wreck one attack by stupidly diving over a ruck when we had forward momentum.

He needs to make one stupid mistake per game. It's guaranteed.

I'd have Fagerson ahead of him. Wilson's strengths are his pace and dynamism, and Fagerson has both in greater quantities. Still, Wilson brainfarts are the basis of a solid drinking game...

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next