The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

+28
chickp
Heuer27
WELL-PAST-IT
Shifty
TheMildlyFranticLlama
mikey_dragon
funnyExiledScot
NeilyBroon
nickj
Tattie Scones RRN
hugehandoff
reallybored
propdavid_london
EST
LordDowlais
bsando
Anglobraveheart
tigertattie
Tramptastic
profitius
demosthenes
maestegmafia
George Carlin
LondonTiger
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
RDW
32 posters

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 9 Empty Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by BigGee Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:39 am

First topic message reminder :

So after a mixed bag in the first two games, we now face a difficult away trip to Tiblisi followed 6 days later by hosting the same team at home at Murrayfield.

With the travelling involved, a 6 hour flight apparently, as well as a Georgian team with a lot to prove playing in front of a crowd of 50,000, this ill no doubt be a serious test and an indication of what playing in a hostile environment in unpleasant conditions will be like. A dress rehersal for the Japan game in many ways.

So who does he play first up?

The squad is being finalised after the away game, but you would imagine that he is not going to want to waste any spaces on players that he has already made his mind up about.

He certainly is not going to risk any injured players, so that rules out Thompson, Skinner, Seymour for sure, along with the possibity of Taylor, Bradbury, Gray and we are not sure if Brown and Johnson will be fit either.

I am going to assume that none of them are ready to travel and have a stab at a team along these lines:

1. Reid
2. McInally
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gilchrist
5. Cummings
6. Wilson
7. Ritchie
8. Fagerson M
9. Horne G
10. Hastings
11. Graham
12. Hutchinson
13. Jones
14. Maitland
15. Kinghorn

Subs
Berghan
Turner
Nel
Toolis
Barclay
Price
Horne P
Harris

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 9 Empty Re: Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by EST Tue 03 Sep 2019, 5:19 pm

Toonie wrote:Head Coach Gregor Townsend today named the 31-man Scotland squad for Rugby World Cup 2019 at a public event at Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots.

Hundreds of supporters turned out to see Edinburgh hooker Stuart McInally announced as captain of a group that features a split of 17 forwards and 14 backs, each of whom was announced one-by-one as part of a live squad reveal.

Townsend said: “Stuart has done a really good job in the opportunities he’s had to captain Scotland.

“He captained Edinburgh last season and is a real lead-by-example player, both in training and in games. He’s a calming influence and is very good at bringing the best out of others."
Scotland Head Coach Gregor Townsend
"We have a number of leaders in our squad and it was great to see them work well together out in Georgia last week.”

Over a third (13) of the group have previous Rugby World Cup experience, with Edinburgh back-row John Barclay the only player preparing for a third campaign (having featured in 2007 and 2011).

The remainder are Glasgow Warriors quintet Fraser Brown, Jonny Gray, Pete Horne, Tommy Seymour and Ryan Wilson, Edinburgh’s Grant Gilchrist and Willem Nel, plus Greig Laidlaw (Clermont Auvergne), Sean Maitland (Saracens), Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs), Finn Russell (Racing 92) and Gordon Reid (Ayrshire Bulls), who all featured in 2015.

Barclay is also the most-capped member of the squad with 74 of the group’s total of 902 appearances combined, with Scarlets back-row Blade Thomson operating at the other end of the spectrum, with one Test cap.

Glasgow Warriors contribute the most players (12) to the squad, with Edinburgh close behind with 10, eight coming from exile clubs and Reid representing the Super6 side, whose tournament begins in November this year.

Edinburgh wing Darcy Graham is the youngest member of the squad having turned 22 in June, although there are three other 22-year-olds in the squad – Glasgow Warriors Scott Cummings and Adam Hastings, and Edinburgh back Blair Kinghorn – while Laidlaw is the oldest at 33 years and 326 days (with Nel also 33). The squad has an average age of 27.

Scotland Head Coach Gregor Townsend said: “We’re delighted with the squad and believe we’ve picked a group capable of playing our best rugby and doing this consistently throughout the tournament.

“The players have worked hard to be in the best physical shape of their careers and we know that when they play to their potential they are capable of beating any team in the world.

“The players have worked hard to be in the best physical shape of their careers and we know that when they play to their potential they are capable of beating any team in the world."

Scotland Head Coach Gregor Townsend

“There were a number of tough calls given the quality of our wider training squad, and on the close decisions we’ve looked to select players that have strong defensive attributes and are willing to out-work their opposite number.”

He continued: “Some very good players have missed out on selection this time, but they know they’ll have to keep working hard because, in a world cup, an opportunity can come around very quickly.”

Completing the squad’s forward stable are front-rows Simon Berghan (Edinburgh), Allan Dell (London Irish), Zander Fagerson and George Turner (both Glasgow Warriors), and Edinburgh trio Ben Toolis (lock), Jamie Ritchie and Hamish Watson (back-row).

Joining Pete Horne as the squad’s centre options are his Glasgow Warriors clubmate Sam Johnson and exiles Chris Harris (Gloucester) and Duncan Taylor (Saracens), with Glasgow Warriors scrum-halves George Horne and Ali Price completing the back division.

The bit in bold is the key point from the press release. Toonie prioritising grafters over match winning ability. I get we need people that work hard, but to have this as his number one criteria is short sighted in the extreme.

EST

Back to top Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 9 Empty Re: Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by 123456789. Tue 03 Sep 2019, 5:30 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW wrote:Have SJ-Harris played together? We're all assuming Taylor will be starting 13!

Some very quick research suggests that SJ and Harris played 23 minutes together against Italy, and 24 minutes against England. Plenty time to gel....

I wonder what the stats are for Parkes and JD2, or Aki and Ringrose/Henshaw.

I know we've been unlucky with injuries, but nothing suggests to me that Toonie is a clear thinker with a plan.

I think the plan boils down to play lots of rugby really quickly. Unfortunately we see when Hogg is replace by Jackson for Glasgow that unless you have dangerous, strike runners in the outside channels the game plan effectively boils down to spreading the ball across the pitch really quickly. Our best matches (England second half aside) have been with Russell at 10, Jones at 13 and Maitland, Hogg and Seymour across the back-three. In effect playing fast stretches the opposition and gives our great individual talents the chance to work together or alone to expose space. Journeymen players like Harris and Horne are effectively wasted in this scenario. I can see the wisdom in selecting Johnson and Taylor together. Both are attacking threats in their own right (presuming Taylor is the player he once was, it seems that playing poorly has cost Jones where not playing at all has furthered Taylor's cause). Even having Horne or Harris in a game where it may suit us to dial down the crazy might make sense. I think back to the bizarre game against Samoa in 2017 in which we were so determined to attack we simply forgot to defend. Perhaps a cool head in midfield may have aided us on that occasion. However including both seems a waste of a space. Especially seeing as neither Johnson or Taylor are really adherents of the Niko Matawalu Rules of Rugby that Russell, Hogg et al all signed up to. What's more Horne, of all of our midfield options, is perhaps the most mentally flatulent. He marks every international series with an interception pass and most matches with a spurned opportunity. Horne is a fine Glasgow player but his perennial underachievement at International Level has become so longstanding it is evident he is not up to the required standard.

I

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 7:28 pm

EST and 1234567 - both hit the nail on the head. Problem is I don't see us out working Ireland or Japan, two of the fittest sides in the world. In fact I think the selections play nicely into opposition hands, perhaps Samoa aside when some physical tackling in the midfield is a necessity and work rate alone might prove effective.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 7:36 pm

The team left behind:

1.Bhatti 2.Stewart 3.McCallum 4.Skinner 5.R Gray 6.Bradbury 7.Hardie 8.Fagerson 9.Hidalgo-Clyne 10.Lang 11.McGuigan 12.Hutchinson 13.Jones 14.Bennett 15.Jackson

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2019, 8:01 pm

Am I reading your squad correctly? Only 3 centres?

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Sep 2019, 8:32 pm

There are 4
Horne, Taylor, Johnson and Harris!

Probably not the 4 most of us would have chosen!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 03 Sep 2019, 8:56 pm

Don’t worry lads, its not poor selection we just have too much depth, apparently Shocked

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/hutchinsons-exclusion-viewed-as-evidence-of-real-scottish-strength-in-depth/

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 9:23 pm

Yes, the 6 Nations was a massive endorsement of our strength in depth.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 03 Sep 2019, 9:23 pm

Perhaps we should have left Russell home too, really shown that depth off. Maybe put Hogg into involuntary retirement.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 9:27 pm

123456789. wrote:Perhaps we should have left Russell home too, really shown that depth off. Maybe put Hogg into involuntary retirement.

With Duncan Weir in reserve, I'm confident that we could leave Russell at home. I'm told that Weir can do 5 press ups in 20 minutes, and work rate wins tournaments apparently.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Sep 2019, 9:40 pm

You know what, Duncy is doing just fine and i would rather hsve him at FH than anyone other than Russell or Hastings

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2019, 9:44 pm

BigGee wrote:There are 4
Horne, Taylor, Johnson and Harris!

Probably not the 4 most of us would have chosen!

Ah, cheers! Missed one. I’m surprised most by the absence of Huw Jones. But reading back I think that is the general concensus!

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 10:54 pm

BigGee wrote:You know what, Duncy is doing just fine and i would rather hsve him at FH than anyone other than Russell or Hastings

I know, very harsh of me to body shame. He's made a fine crack at the English Premiership and he'll always have the highlights of the Scotland A vs Saxons to fall back on.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 03 Sep 2019, 10:57 pm

What stage of grief are we in now? Anger? Remorse?

When do we draw a line and get on board the Toonie hype train?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Sep 2019, 11:19 pm

tigertattie wrote:What stage of grief are we in now? Anger? Remorse?

When do we draw a line and get on board the Toonie hype train?

When we defeat Ireland and Japan, reliant on the work rate of Harris and the leadership of Wilson, I will then and only then designate Townsend as my favourite Scotland coach as well as my favourite Soctland player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed 04 Sep 2019, 6:26 am

Are we sure that this isn't just part of Toonie's elaborate tournament plan?
We know about the attrition, and that some players may get crocked. We then have Jones, Hutch and Junior Fagerson in reserve waiting to show and prove why they should not have been left out in the first place.
I don't wish any player to be crocked, but as has been pointed out above, there may be the outcome of injuries, and there are now very able replacements in reserve.
Let's not forget the ldepth of levels of back up and reserve players over the last 2 world cups. This is day and night in comparison.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 04 Sep 2019, 6:31 am

Maybe Toonie was inspired by Warrenball after being manshamed by it twice.

I don't think he seems to understand there's a middle ground between attack and defence. He has literally admitted picking less skillful players. Also as far as I could see Hutchinson worked as hard as those named, that and he could attack too.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 04 Sep 2019, 6:37 am

I get it, leave the best in reserve but then why not take them? It'll give them the experience of a world cup and means we have better players immediately available if no-one gets crocked.

Nah a lot of these selections stink of Toonies favourites. Especially Horne and Wilson.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 04 Sep 2019, 7:16 am

Anglobraveheart wrote:Are we sure that this isn't just part of Toonie's elaborate tournament plan?
We know about the attrition, and that some players may get crocked. We then have Jones, Hutch and Junior Fagerson in reserve waiting to show and prove why they should not have been left out in the first place.
I don't wish any player to be crocked, but as has been pointed out above, there may be the outcome of injuries, and there are now very able replacements in reserve.
Let's not forget the ldepth of levels of back up and reserve players over the last 2 world cups. This is day and night in comparison.

Right.

I mean if Taylor and Thompson manage to do what they havent managed for 2 years then none of them will be required.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Sep 2019, 8:37 am

I'm a bit more positive this morning than our initial reaction. We've been lambasting Scotland's defensive record over the last few years so should we really be so up in arms that he picked 2 centres known for their defensive solidity (the odd roadkill moment aside for Horne)?

Again back row is the area I do have issues with, but if Thomson makes a similar impact to the likes of Hardie did last world cup all our problems could go away. I appreciate it's far from ideal to be goign into a world cup relying on that kind of thing though!

We have a front 5 who can compete with anyone and a dogged back row, with one of the best 7s in the world.

Laidlaw has shown so far he can up the pace and Russell is our talisman and number 1 key player. Price and Horne bring plenty energy to the party.

In the centres Johnson looks to be a class act and works well with Russell. Whoever plays at 13 will be key to our success IMO - big responsibility on Taylor or Harris' shoulders.

And we have a lethal and experienced back 3 with some young tyros who will score tries if we get them the ball in space.

So all is not lost, and there are 30 other players to make up for Peter Horne's selection!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 04 Sep 2019, 8:50 am

It’s really only 2 players off a squad I’d be very happy with so I’m not too despondent. In other news, it’s just over 2 weeks till I fly out to Japan Yahoo

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Sep 2019, 8:58 am

So this would be my world cup teams:

Every game bar Russia

1 Dell
2 McInally
3 Nel
4 Gray
5 Gilchrist
6 Barclay
7 Watson
8 Thomson

9 Laidlaw
10 Russell
11 Maitland
12 Johnson
13 Taylor
14 Graham
15 Hogg

Subs - Reid, Brown, Fagerson, Cummings, Wilson, Price, Hasting, Harris

Russia game:

1 Reid
2 Turner
3 Berghan
4 Cummings
5 Toolis
6 WIlson
7 Ritchie
8 Thomson (the downside of having only 5 backrow)

9 Price
10 Hasting
11 Seymour
12 Horne
13 Harris
14 Graham
15 Kinghorn

Subs - Dell, Brown, Fagerson, Gilchrist, Barclay, Horne, Taylor, Maitland

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 04 Sep 2019, 9:06 am

Glad to see the pendulum is starting to swing.

I have no idea what is up with Shug Jones but I wouldn't have bet any money on him scoring any tries against Ireland.
we know that Ireland have perfected the "get up in their faces, keep tackling and wait till they start running round as if their hair is on fire" routine against us. So, Johnson-Taylor to play smart, minimal risk rugby. Harris to come on to defend aggressively and graft tirelessly. If that's the plan Toonie has...it's just not Shug Jones is it? If you take out his "tries out of nothing" what exactly does he offer?
Now before you all scream me down with "10 tries in 21 matches". It's over a year and a half since he last scored a try. If he's not scoring is he a net gain or a net loss for the side? Scotland's defence, crudely measured as tries conceded, has been very poor under Toonie. He has chosen a 13 whose main attribute is his defence. Toonie makes sensible decision. Shock. Horror.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed 04 Sep 2019, 9:13 am

I can't do the quote function reply thing, and much as I think PH and RW bring positives, I wouldn't have had them in the squad personally.
But GT has made his decision, and they are favoured IMO. Going against Fagerson will probably be the lack of experience, and the ball dropping both on Saturday and on debut (I think) in USA.
BT is a different beast. Hopefully one that stays unbroken, but MF is there in case he does.
I think RH has been hard done by, and I feel should have been picked ahead of Harris.
HJ is a conundrum. He can perform, exceptionally. He has also been out of form, out of favour and looked at moving clubs, which I think is reminiscent of Hogg's Ulster aspirations in 2015, hopefully HJ can bounce back in a simlar way and be 6N player of the tournament once he settles down. Fingers crossed. - who knows, he may get a call up and be so blazing and determined that he creates some magic again.
I think GT has picked a blend of workhorses and stars. It's on his head.
I would have had Hutch ahead of Harris and MF ahead of RW.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 04 Sep 2019, 9:15 am

RDW wrote:I'm a bit more positive this morning than our initial reaction. We've been lambasting Scotland's defensive record over the last few years so should we really be so up in arms that he picked 2 centres known for their defensive solidity (the odd roadkill moment aside for Horne)?

Again back row is the area I do have issues with, but if Thomson makes a similar impact to the likes of Hardie did last world cup all our problems could go away. I appreciate it's far from ideal to be goign into a world cup relying on that kind of thing though!

We have a front 5 who can compete with anyone and a dogged back row, with one of the best 7s in the world.

Laidlaw has shown so far he can up the pace and Russell is our talisman and number 1 key player. Price and Horne bring plenty energy to the party.

In the centres Johnson looks to be a class act and works well with Russell. Whoever plays at 13 will be key to our success IMO - big responsibility on Taylor or Harris' shoulders.

And we have a lethal and experienced back 3 with some young tyros who will score tries if we get them the ball in space.

So all is not lost, and there are 30 other players to make up for Peter Horne's selection!

I'm still struggling to be honest. The backrow is severely under powered and I just can't quite grasp how we have ended up with our centre choices, or Toonies rationale for arriving at the decision.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 04 Sep 2019, 9:41 am

[quote="EST

I'm still struggling to be honest,  and I just can't quite grasp Toonies rationale for arriving at the decision. [/quote]

Ah, I see you have reverted back to quoting the original Glasgow Warriors' team motto, which was very quickly replaced by "Whatever it takes".

Not many people know that, as Michael Caine is want to say.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 04 Sep 2019, 10:16 am

A good old fashioned jimbo quote fail, all is now right with the world. Except in Westminster. Thats well and truly Konnie Huq'd

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 04 Sep 2019, 10:23 am

jimbopip wrote:[quote="EST

I'm still struggling to be honest,  and I just can't quite grasp Toonies rationale for arriving at the decision.

Ah, I see you have reverted back to quoting the original Glasgow Warriors' team motto, which was very quickly replaced by "Whatever it takes".

Not many people know that, as Michael Caine is want to say.[/quote]

There is a lesson in there somewhere, never try and understand Toonie.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 04 Sep 2019, 11:03 am

Irish seem delighted with us ensuring Jones and Hutchison dont get the ball.

Spineless decision.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 04 Sep 2019, 11:05 am

Anglo comes on and says he doesn’t know how to quote

Jimbo comes on on and fails at using the quote function while also talking about someone quoting something from somewhere entirely different.

It’s a sign. A sign I tell you.

The national newspapers will have the headline in November “Ireland win the World Cup” then it’s cruelly pointed out that this was a quote function fail that should actually read “Scotland win the World Cup”

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 04 Sep 2019, 12:31 pm

jimbopip wrote:Glad to see the pendulum is starting to swing.

I have no idea what is up with Shug Jones but I wouldn't have bet any money on him scoring any tries against Ireland.
we know that Ireland have perfected the "get up in their faces, keep tackling and wait till they start running round as if their hair is on fire" routine against us. So, Johnson-Taylor to play smart, minimal risk rugby. Harris to come on to defend aggressively and graft tirelessly. If that's the plan Toonie has...it's just not Shug Jones is it? If you take out his "tries out of nothing" what exactly does he offer?
Now before you all scream me down with "10 tries in 21 matches". It's over a year and a half since he last scored a try. If he's not scoring is he a net gain or a net loss for the side? Scotland's defence, crudely measured as tries conceded, has been very poor under Toonie. He has chosen a 13 whose main attribute is his defence. Toonie makes sensible decision. Shock. Horror.

You're right Jimbo Ireland do love to smother Scotland up front and shut down the backs quickly. Ever since they lost to us at Murrayfield in that 3 try first half blitz I think they've really made sure they don't allow Scotland to build a good head of steam. Interestingly, having rewatched that game recently, I noticed that nearly everyone was getting stuck into the rucks and trying to poach and make a nuisance of themselves, slowing down Irish ball very effectively. Do we defend that way anymore? I think we seem to like to stand off a lot more once the tackle has been made and reset the line quickly. Only problem there is that it allows teams to play quicker and gain more metres.

Toonie boldy claimed yesterday that Scotland are the fittest side going to the RWC. Good to hear! Hope it's true.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 04 Sep 2019, 12:39 pm

EST wrote:
RDW wrote:I'm a bit more positive this morning than our initial reaction. We've been lambasting Scotland's defensive record over the last few years so should we really be so up in arms that he picked 2 centres known for their defensive solidity (the odd roadkill moment aside for Horne)?

I'm still struggling to be honest.  The backrow is severely under powered and I just can't quite grasp how we have ended up with our centre choices, or Toonies rationale for arriving at the decision.
This is my problem with the squad too.

How do we cope if Ireland select a back-five of:

4 - Henderson
5 - Ryan
6 - Bearnie
7 - O'Mahony
8 - Stander / Ruddick

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 04 Sep 2019, 12:51 pm

reallybored wrote:
EST wrote:

I'm still struggling to be honest.  The backrow is severely under powered and I just can't quite grasp how we have ended up with our centre choices, or Toonies rationale for arriving at the decision.
This is my problem with the squad too.

How do we cope if Ireland select a back-five of:

4 - Henderson
5 - Ryan
6 - Bearnie
7 - O'Mahony
8 - Stander / Ruddick

Yeah, I think i'm probably more concerned about this than the centre situation.  Aside from Watson, who is a freak, we don't have any formidable carriers who can make hard yards close to the ruck.  Thomson looks like he has a lot of pace and I can see him thriving out wide, but he doesn't strike me as a powerful carrier.

I suppose the rationale is that in the heat of Japan, we need to be as mobile as possible?  Either way, I can see the bigger teams keeping it tight and overpowering us.....again.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 04 Sep 2019, 12:53 pm

When is the team for Friday's match announced?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Sep 2019, 2:17 pm

​Glasgow Warriors back-row Ryan Wilson will captain Scotland for the first time in the national team’s final Summer Test match against Georgia at BT Murrayfield Stadium this Friday (kick-off 7.30pm) – live on Premier Sports.

Scotland opened a fortnight of firsts last weekend in Tbilisi as the first Tier One nation to travel for a Test match on Georgian soil, with Friday’s return fixture in Edinburgh the first ever Scotland home game on a Friday night outside the Rugby World Cup.

Head Coach Townsend has made 12 changes to the starting side that defeated Georgia 44-10 at the Dinamo Arena, naming a starting XV who yesterday were announced in the 31-man squad for Rugby World Cup 2019, with six of the eight replacements also set to take the plane to Japan on Monday.

Glasgow Warriors Tommy Seymour and Scarlets number 8 Blade Thomson have completed the graduated return to play protocol for concussions sustained against France almost fortnight ago, while lock Jonny Gray will feature for the first time since sustaining a hamstring strain in pre-season.

Townsend said: “We’ve been together since the middle of June and Friday night is our final chance this year to play in front of our supporters.

"It’s another opportunity for players to get valuable game time and build on what was a very good performance last weekend in Georgia. We are very aware that Georgia will be much improved after their first hit out of the season and they will know much more about how we play.

"We expect a very tough challenge and it will require an improved performance from our men to deliver a winning outcome."
Head Coach Gregor Townsend
He added: "It’s a boost to have Jonny back in side for the first time since last season and for others, like Tommy, Blade and Duncan, to have made a return to full fitness, following their recent injuries.

"It’s also great to involve two players in our squad this weekend - Grant Stewart and Magnus Bradbury - who just missed out on selection to our group to travel to Japan.

"As with all those that didn’t make the 31-man squad, it's important they keep training and playing well in case they get a call up during the tournament.

“I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the Scotland fans for their unprecedented levels of support this summer. We are looking forward to playing in front of another big crowd at BT Murrayfield.

I'd also like to thank the players and management for their outstanding contributions throughout our World Cup camp. It’s a credit to their hard work and professionalism that the squad are in such great physical condition.

"Friday night gives us the opportunity to keep improving and get one step closer to playing our best rugby over the next few weeks."

An entirely new pack that will take to the field from the outset on Friday night, with Glasgow Warriors pair George Turner and Zander Fagerson combining with Ayrshire Bulls loosehead Gordon Reid making up the front-row.

Glasgow Warriors lock Scott Cummings has been promoted from the bench to feature alongside the returning Gray, while back-row Jamie Ritchie completes the loose forwards alongside Wilson and Thomson.

In the backs, Saracens centre Duncan Taylor combines with a Sam Johnson in a new-look midfield, Glasgow Warriors half-backs half Ali Price and Adam Hastings get their second chance to start together in the campaign, while Edinburgh’s Blair Kinghorn and Darcy Graham return to start alongside fit-again Seymour.

Scotland team to play Georgia at BT Murrayfield Stadium
Friday 6 September (kick-off 7.30pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 14 caps

14. Tommy Seymour VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 51 caps
13. Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 22 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps
11. Darcy Graham – 6 caps

10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 26 caps

1. Gordon Reid (Ayrshire Bulls) – 36 caps
2. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 7 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 21 caps
4. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 3 caps
5. Jonny Gray VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 51 caps
6. Ryan Wilson CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 44 caps
7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 11 caps
8. Blade Thomson (Scarlets) – 1 cap

Substitutes:
16. Grant Stewart (Glasgow Warriors) – 2 caps
17. Allan Dell (Edinburgh) – 24 caps
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 21 caps
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 20 caps
20. Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh) – 7 caps
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 42 caps
23. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 9 caps

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Sep 2019, 2:24 pm

6 out of 8 of the pack or Weegies or former Weegies - we're doomed!!

(just getting some poo flinging in - been far too serious on here lately)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 04 Sep 2019, 2:26 pm

Makes sense

Starters are getting s rest other than SJ, Taylor and blade who all need game time.

Wilson is Wilson. Boring and pointless selection but it’s only Georgia.

Horne seems to be the 10 cover so there’s at least 7 points on offer to the Georgians this time round.

Bradbury and Stewart will be wanting to put in a good shift as they are likely to be the back up players for any injuries.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 04 Sep 2019, 2:29 pm

Fine, if that's your attitude I'll tell you the side. Cool

1. Shrek
2. Fitter and
3. Ragnar
4. Cummings
5. Ickle Jonny
6. Batman
7. Mbawsa
8. His Mother Named Him After A Movie So He'll Never Have A Nickname
9. Aldi Price
10. Haircut
11. D'Arcy
12. Johnson
13. Taylor
14. Seymour
15.King Blarehorn

16. Stewart
17.Dell
18. Berghan
19.Toolis
20. Bradbury
21. Wee George
22. Furra Linee
23. Works Harder Than Shug

Lots of Glasgow in that line up. But no Fraser Brown. Shocked Young Grant might still be travelling.
Bradbury is probably being asked to audition for first replacement if any of the many number 8's we have breaks down.

I think that starting XV should see of Georgia comfortably. Also, there's a real bite in that back row and everyone of them will want to start against Ireland so there should be no holding back.

What will happen on these boards if Furra-James Brown (The Hardest Working Man In Showbiz) come on with the scores close and run in half a dozen tries between them?

Sorry that's as likely as deciding after umpteen years of austerity that "Hey look. There's £10billion quid down the back of the sofa! let's give it to the public services. No. It's got fecc all to do with any election which we are not going to call, well not before lunchtime."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Sep 2019, 2:31 pm

You're late to the game as always Jimbo!

Great to see Gray back but worrying still no Fraser Brown - far from ideal that his first game back will be Ireland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 04 Sep 2019, 4:12 pm

I’m through shock, denial and am now into the bargaining stage.

If P Horne is placed on house arrest for the next 2 months on trumped up charges, I will officially never do anything wrong ever again.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 04 Sep 2019, 4:18 pm

Well it s a decent enough team and should be good enough to win comfortably.

Pleased to see the Johnson-Taylor combo getting a try out. That may be our starting combo, so probably about time they played together.

If Hastings can get that backline moving, it could certainly do some damage.

Georgia will be strong up front again though and the forwards need to do their work. I am expecting great things from the Blade Runner, he has certainly got a lot to prove.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 04 Sep 2019, 4:30 pm

It is a decent team, looking forward to seeing how the midfield go and the backrow has decent balance - I always think Wilson is better at 6.

It will be very interesting to see how the replacements who are not part of the 31 go - I imagine Bradbury will be very fired up for this game.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Sep 2019, 7:47 pm

Horne really is going out his way to tell us all why he's dead brilliant!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49579078

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 04 Sep 2019, 7:53 pm

Oh fecking yawn give it a rest Peter. We get it, you’re a bit pish but Toonie selects you coz you’re his best pal, no need to keep going on about it kiss

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 04 Sep 2019, 10:15 pm

The selection for Georgia makes sense. Best let these centres actually play together!!

Wilson as captain is mildly amusing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 05 Sep 2019, 6:49 am

Hm I'm not sure about 2 intercepts in all of his caps...

I'm a pete horne fan and have believed he does help the team gel and has had some great games in the past. This being said his form has been poor and a well in form hutchinson should have been picked ahead of him so I'm sorry pete but I think that criticism may be justified.

For all the earlier rage, I am finally over it and looking at the team on Friday reasonably optimistic (I still think Toonie is a poor coach who's luck may finally have run out).

Toonie obviously has his concerns about blades fitness putting Bradbury on the bench, who can also cover second row (I do still feel bad for fagerson jr). Bradbury may get extra motivation if blade has another concussion, surely for player safety he can't go to japan if he's had it two games in a row?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 05 Sep 2019, 10:50 am

I’ve never ever ever seen Pete Horne have a great game for Scotland.

I’ve seen him have 2 or 3 games where he’s not been awful but I’ve seen dozens where he’s been utter ineffective and a good handful where he’s been terrible.

But it’s ok, if he keeps writing columns about how underrated he is, it will make him a better player.

I’d have more respect for him if he turned to the journo and said, “you know what, I’ll do my talking on the pitch. Now hold my beer”
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 05 Sep 2019, 11:28 am

Horne isn't a terrible player by any stretch, and I don't think he's as bad as you are making out, Tattie. He is laying it on a bit thick for the media, but he does do a good job of facilitating play around him - he has featured prominently in many of our good wins of late.

The issues are that he has shown he is incapable of cutting out the costly errors in his game, and that he really isn't a ten option at international level. I argued for him to start against France during the 6N and he totally failed to turn up. I think he has been very lucky to get in ahead of Hutch.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 05 Sep 2019, 12:31 pm

Horne may have only thrown 2 interceptions but he's also made other critical mistakes that have directly led to losses. Of course he's by no means the only player to have done this, and the defeats weren't all his fault, but ask most rugby players about the biggest mistakes in recent years and they'll be able to remember Horne's - not many others.

Off the top of my head:

Missed pen to touch that would have finished the game (Italy)
Speedbump missed tackles that led to cruical tries (Samoa and Australia)
Botched 2 on 1s (Ireland and England)

I'm sure there's more!

As I said it is incredibly harsh to make this list for Horne and not others, but this is the perception we have of him and the only way to change it is for the rest of his game to make up for these big mistakes. Currently I don't see that it does.  For example you can forgive Jones' show poney nature when he's scoring tries like he did against England - the fact that he's not doing that anymore means he's right to miss out.

Last edited by RDW on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 05 Sep 2019, 12:33 pm

Nice side for this last Georgia game. Hopefully Thomson and Taylor will do well and come through unscathed. I'm sure fellow Edinburgh fans will have noticed Georgia scrummaging with the Edinburgh forwards yesterday, nice to see.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next