The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+21
TM2K
EmmDee57
JDizzle
Beer
incontinentia
LadyPutt
Davie
dynamark
Shotrock
Roller_Coaster
JAS
pedro
BlueCoverman
Be_the_ball
superflyweight
I'm never wrong
Plunky
super_realist
beninho
McLaren
navyblueshorts
25 posters

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 7 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Aug 2019, 2:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Ben

I am not doubting jas and believe him that the guy handed in a score for 51 points. I am just astonished by 51 points, as I said this is a score that I have never seen before. This is more about acknowledging the rarity of this event.

We are talking rarer than a hole in one, this guy has shot a nett score that only a handful people will ever have shot.

It just seems like others on here are not as blown away by a 20 handicapper shooting +5 as I am.
As a junior in the early 80s, I shot a nett 56 (a +4 or 5 round I think) and a 58 in the same Summer. I didn't cheat, but I did get cut a lot that year.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 7 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Jul 2020, 8:00 am

Inco

As long as they are not too personal let's here about the challenging mental circumstances? Did a playing partner wind you up or something.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 7 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by incontinentia Thu 23 Jul 2020, 9:32 am

McLaren wrote:Inco

As long as they are not too personal let's here about the challenging mental circumstances? Did a playing partner wind you up or something.
Hi Mac. Yes it was something like that. 2 of my playing partners were thoroughly lovely gentlemen. Without meaning to sound like a snob, the other guy was what super might call untermensch and just generally unpleasant and had no clue about golf etiquette etc. He was playing a practice round but had booked a slot in the open competition (this drove me nuts). In addition, he was playing very slowly and a notorious grump in the group behind clashed with us a couple of times about our pace of play before we waved them through on the 9th hole. It was just very distracting, but perhaps I need to improve mental strength to let such things affect me.

The 2nd round was my work society, and I was in a two-ball with another nice gentleman. It was a pretty slow round, but pretty chilled and enjoyable.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 24 Jul 2020, 9:13 pm

Played a 9 hole comp this evening, shot 19 points. Happy with that as I hit some terrible shots and putting was dreadful.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 6:23 am

Lovely controlled round in very windy conditions at the weekend got me down to 0.5. If I hadn't three putted the last it would have been 0.4, but got away with murder elsewhere on the course by holing some long putts for par and birdie.
Followed it up with a - 1 round the following day which was unfortunately non counting. New driver an absolute beast.

super_realist

BlueCoverman and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 27 Jul 2020, 9:33 am

super_realist wrote:Lovely controlled round in very windy conditions at the weekend got me down to 0.5. If I hadn't three putted the last it would have been 0.4, but got away with murder elsewhere on the course by holing some long putts for par and birdie.
Followed it up with a - 1 round the following day which was unfortunately non counting. New driver an absolute beast.
Awesome stuff. So satisfying to score well in bad conditions.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 27 Jul 2020, 9:48 am

super_realist wrote:Lovely controlled round in very windy conditions at the weekend got me down to 0.5. If I hadn't three putted the last it would have been 0.4, but got away with murder elsewhere on the course by holing some long putts for par and birdie.

What new driver have you gone for super?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 10:12 am

BlueCoverman wrote:

What new driver have you gone for super?

Mavrik Sub Zero Bluecoverman. It has given me around another 15 yards and so far seems to produce bad shots that are less bad than my previous driver.

super_realist

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Jul 2020, 11:14 am

15 yards is a game changer. Despite tech updates I have been losing yards for the last ten years.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 11:38 am

Mac, do you do anything to keep your core strong or improve your swing speed?
You must be about 35 ish by now??, i'd get on top of that sort of thing soon if I was you. There's no reason to be losing distance at your age.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 27 Jul 2020, 11:39 am

Just changed my clubs, having been playing with the same irons (Lynx Black Cats which I loved) for years and buying the wrong driver and fairway woods (also Lynx) two years ago. Was fitted for Cobra irons (6-SW) and a 5 hybrid in ladies flex plus an FMax Airspeed driver and 3-wood in light (Senior) flex. They are taking a bit of getting used to but beginning to show results. I’m hitting the driver about 30 yards further than my old one and the irons much better, too. Not bad for an old lady of 69 Very Happy
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

BlueCoverman and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 27 Jul 2020, 11:49 am

super_realist wrote:Mac, do you do anything to keep your core strong or improve your swing speed?
If you have any recommendations in this regard I'd like to hear them. I have been performing some golf swing movements against a resistance band recently, but not sure how much this will improve speed etc. I have done lots of core work over the years but never noticed a corresponding increase in drive distance etc.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 12:16 pm

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Mac, do you do anything to keep your core strong or improve your swing speed?
If you have any recommendations in this regard I'd like to hear them. I have been performing some golf swing movements against a resistance band recently, but not sure how much this will improve speed etc. I have done lots of core work over the years but never noticed a corresponding increase in drive distance etc.

I took up rowing a couple of years ago and do a couple of miles every day before breakfast. Apparently it works around 85% of the body.
Given my age I've seen the benefits in arm, shoulder, back and core strength, although I don't attribute this necessarily to longer driving I'm sure it's helped maintain my swing form and swing speed.
Add in further weight training to mimic the swing and you're giving yourself a good basis for building a more powerful swing.

The driver fitting has given me a few mph gain and more accurate presentation of the of the club face.

Half considering the Superspeed club training system as the results seem to be good, just concerned about the influence it may have on accuracy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 12:19 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Just changed my clubs, having been playing with the same irons (Lynx Black Cats which I loved) for years and buying the wrong driver and fairway woods (also Lynx) two years ago. Was fitted for Cobra irons (6-SW) and a 5 hybrid in ladies flex plus an FMax Airspeed driver and 3-wood in light (Senior) flex. They are taking a bit of getting used to but beginning to show results. I’m hitting the driver about 30 yards further than my old one and the irons much better, too. Not bad for an old lady of 69 Very Happy

Big improvement LP. 30 yards is massive, at least 2 clubs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Jul 2020, 12:24 pm

Super

I am not doing gym type work. Can't imagine wasting my time with that crap.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 12:27 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I am not doing gym type work. Can't imagine wasting my time with that crap.

It's hardly wasting time Mac. It's before breakfast when I'm not doing anything. It's half an hour a day.

If you don't want to get better at golf and just permit your weakening body to cause your golf game to suffer that's up to you, but you don't strike me as the type of person who has such little time they can't spare 30 minutes a day. Everyone has time if they want to.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Jul 2020, 12:34 pm

Super

How do you you have half an hour before breakfast. I get up and eat breakfast straight away. Why were you just hanging about waiting to have breakfast?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 12:38 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

How do you you have half an hour before breakfast. I get up and eat breakfast straight away. Why were you just hanging about waiting to have breakfast?

What are you on about Mac, you have more time than ever right now. You don't have a commute to do.

I get up at 7am, straight onto the waterrower and follow it up with some weights. In the shower by half past 7 followed by breakfast, seems like a pretty good use of time to me.
Who said I'm hanging around to have breakfast?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Jul 2020, 12:41 pm

Super

I would rather spend the extra time in bed. Especially if my wife is up for some morning exercise.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 1:07 pm

As if you still do that now you're "married".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 27 Jul 2020, 3:56 pm

Congratulations McLaren, when did you tie the knot?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jul 2020, 5:11 pm

incontinentia wrote:Congratulations McLaren, when did you tie the knot?
I question whether he even has a partner. This is a man who is into F1, glory hunts Man United, plays computer game, watches Glee, has said he'd suck off Adam Scott and has a poster of Tiger Woods on his ceiling. I'm not sure anyone can imagine him being a catch for any woman.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 27 Jul 2020, 5:58 pm

super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Congratulations McLaren, when did you tie the knot?
I question whether he even has a partner. This is a man who is into F1, glory hunts Man United, plays computer game, watches Glee, has said he'd suck off Adam Scott and has a poster of Tiger Woods on his ceiling. I'm not sure anyone can imagine him being a catch for any woman.
It doesn't seem so when you put it like that. Maybe Mac has money and is married to a hypergamist?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 29 Jul 2020, 2:18 pm

Stupid game! 4 double bogeys, 1 triple bogey, 1 quadruple bogey and end up with 36 points. Played to handicap.

I'm never wrong

Davie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 29 Jul 2020, 3:05 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Stupid game! 4 double bogeys, 1 triple bogey, 1 quadruple bogey and end up with 36 points. Played to handicap.
Nice job INW, you mustve played awesome on the other holes. What your handicap?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 29 Jul 2020, 3:31 pm

incontinentia wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:Stupid game! 4 double bogeys, 1 triple bogey, 1 quadruple bogey and end up with 36 points. Played to handicap.
Nice job INW, you mustve played awesome on the other holes. What your handicap?
6 pars and a birdie were the good holes. I play off 18.

I'm never wrong

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 29 Jul 2020, 6:32 pm

A second lesson today. Though no games for ages, bloody mates going away!!

Hit a 7 iron with 0 spin axis and 0 launch. Guy said its only the 2nd perfectly straight shot hes had.

Starting to get a better idea of my swing, even though he compares it to matt wolf, without the knee bit. (Only at the top)

Oh to play a game though!!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 30 Jul 2020, 6:33 am

0 launch? Is that known as putting?

super_realist

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 30 Jul 2020, 8:07 am

H Launch 0.0 (l) someone may have more if an idea what that means.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 30 Jul 2020, 9:45 am

I was gonna say I regularly hit shots with zero launch Smile
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 01 Aug 2020, 7:34 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/padraig_h/status/1287141505501626368?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Looks like an interesting and fun drill by Harrington. Have you ever tried this?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 01 Aug 2020, 1:41 pm

Played a strokeplay/medal comp this morning. It was not fun and I felt like I played terribly, but when I added up the strokes at the end I had shot 88- which isn't too bad as it felt like I shot 95. It was one of those days where pars were very difficult, but at the same time I only had 2 double bogeys. I bogeyed every hole on the back 9, while frustrating at least there were no big numbers. A worrying number of approach irons to the greens had a pull-draw shape to them, which is quite concerning. Have a slight injury in my shoulder (not sure if its golf related or not), and an due to play twice on monday and have captains prize on friday. Not sure whether to rest up or plough through. Thanks for your attention Smile
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:19 am

incontinentia wrote: A worrying number of approach irons to the greens had a pull-draw shape to them, which is quite concerning. Have a slight injury in my shoulder (not sure if its golf related or not), and an due to play twice on monday and have captains prize on friday. Not sure whether to rest up or plough through. Thanks for your attention Smile

Been there Inco, try a session on the range where you try and stop at the horizontal on follow through and check the hands & club position (check right wrist not bowed and leading edge of club should have gone beyond vertical), you'l find it easier to not try and do at full speed either. It could be just the hands over-working. It's quite a good drill to fit into a pre-round warm up, I'm prone to the lefty pulls too and nothing to do with my politics :-p Thing is though if you're carrying a shoulder injury a lot of fine motor control goes out the window.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:35 am

Finally seem to have turned the confidence corner, been absolutely convinced since I came back out of lockdown that I had a game despite my scorecards saying otherwise.
Started with a birdie Sat then a 20ft putt to save par on 2nd. By the 13th tee I was still 1 under, probably the most controlled I've felt all season. Momentary lapse on 13th tee and a pull hook...double bogey, repeated the same on 16. Everything else steady as a rock, missed more than my fair share of 6-10 footers though so in the end it was a kind of disappointing 74 net 67 if there is such a thing.
Taking the positives, down to 5.9, lowest for over 2 years. Although I was 30 putts (as opposed to the carnage of 37 putts and 35 putts the previous weekend at Saunton) the putting still felt like a bit of a mixed bag and where most of the practice attention should be focussed.

Speaking of the Saunton Open the previous weekend, tough tough day, for 2 x par71 courses the West Course CSS was 76 R/O and the East CSS was 77, over 30 NRs, Level Par won the Net, 9 over won the Gross. Torrid day however despite my putting woes on the day managed to buffer in the afternoon on the East course, never broke 90 on the West so was glad to see the R/O!!

Last edited by JAS on Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 03 Aug 2020, 12:02 pm

Thanks Jas, I'll give that a go. Incredibly frustrating as many of the approaches were stock 8/9 iron shots and should have been routine green in regulation shots, but in at least 4 cases i missed the green left and was unable to get up and down. I have a club championship match this evening so as a band aid fix I'll just take an extra club and try swing smoother.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 03 Aug 2020, 2:50 pm

incontinentia wrote:

The other thing that's well worth a try is yoga, It's not all about strength remember, flexibility & control are also important. I'm still trying to commit to the Yoga with Adrienne 30 day programme on youtube. Started it a couple of times but get distracted. Cruising a bit on the fitness regime at the moment too having put in a lot from Oct to about late June time. Getting back into it this week as I don't want it to slip any further. Certainly noticed the benefit on 36 hole days.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 03 Aug 2020, 3:48 pm

Jas

I regularly have 35+ putts, while often being just a few over par. On at least two rounds this year I have been more over par than GIR missed. On one of the rounds I was +4 while missing only two greens (if we are generous with approach shots finishing just in the second cut around the green, but realistically being birdie attempts). Essentially I had to chip on twice, not getting up and down on either. And the rest was a combo of 3 putts and maybe two birdies, I don't remember the exact details.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 03 Aug 2020, 4:15 pm

First qualifying competition after lockdown. Stabelford off the front tees to get us into the swing of things. 33 points and I came mid way in my "division". Winning score was 41 points in top division, 44 points in lower division. The second division winner is a mate of mine and has been playing consistently well since lockdown eased. He told me it was "just one of those days" when everything clicked.

I was given a token of appreciation for some voluntary work I did for a society. It was a cheap putter but engraved on the base with a thank you message. Took it out last week and it worked brilliantly. Took it out again today and it is still good. Might be permanent.

I'm never wrong

Davie and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 03 Aug 2020, 4:15 pm

JAS wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

The other thing that's well worth a try is yoga, It's not all about strength remember, flexibility & control are also important. I'm still trying to commit to the Yoga with Adrienne 30 day programme on youtube. Started it a couple of times but get distracted. Cruising a bit on the fitness regime at the moment too having put in a lot from Oct to about late June time. Getting back into it this week as I don't want it to slip any further. Certainly noticed the benefit on 36 hole days.
Yes I've paid more attention to flexibility recently. Tried some of that Yoga with Adrienne, but much prefer this lady: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qULTwquOuT4
I've tried to do that every day or two.
Do you warm up/stretch before playing golf?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 03 Aug 2020, 4:57 pm

Inco, are you kidding. There is only one thing getting a workout off those videos.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 03 Aug 2020, 9:41 pm

McLaren wrote:Inco, are you kidding. There is only one thing getting a workout off those videos.
Laugh Laugh
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 03 Aug 2020, 9:54 pm

Won my 1st round club championship match this evening, 5&4. Was playing a 21 handicapper who was decent but was having a bad day. He was playing cack handed. My play was much improved from the poor round on saturday.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:23 pm

Played a friendly today at a local course with some friends. A short par 71 course at 5954 yards off the yellows, but a pretty parkland course. A river runs right through the middle of it, so lots of holes where water comes into play and many mature Oaks and other trees so it is a good test of accuracy. Course was playing short as ball running a mile, but one of those rare days where my course management was good and lots of putts dropped. Stood on the 18th tee, a comfortable par 5, 2 under gross thinking a par here to break 70. Something I've only done once before in all the years I've played this game. Double bogey 7. What a muppet! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 04 Aug 2020, 12:17 pm

Has anyone got any matchplay tips, gamesmanship or otherwise? I need to get ready for round 2 of the club champo.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 04 Aug 2020, 12:39 pm

Keep the ball in play, don't take on Hollywood shots unless absolutely necessary.
Score is not important other than being one less than your opponent. If you get in front, keep your foot on the gas and don't ever believe that you have the hole won. Expect your opponent to hole it for birdie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 04 Aug 2020, 12:59 pm

Thanks super👍
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 04 Aug 2020, 1:10 pm

Inco

It is best to make the round feel as comfortable as possible for yourself. If using gamesmanship just makes you feel weird you are just heaping unnecessary pressure on yourself. As super mentioned above think about how your course management can keep you in every hole and that is probably how you will eventually grind your opponent down.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 04 Aug 2020, 1:15 pm

One thing I would add is to keep your eyes on what your opponent is doing. I have seen so much cheating in matchplay. If they find their ball in a tough position. Make sure you remain near when they play it. Don't give them the opportunity to covertly give themselves a better lie.

Don't take on crazy pins when you don't need to, heart of the green is better almost every time at the level we are all at.
Similarly, if your opponent puts himself in trouble off the tee, don't do the same yourself. Pull out a club you can hit reliably and get yourself in a safe position from which you can win the hole.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 04 Aug 2020, 2:26 pm

There's an old tip, don't know how much use it will be. "Give" your opponent putts that they would have made, for a few holes, then at the next hole, ask them to putt out. Asking them to make a short putt "supposedly" puts them off, especially if they expected you to give it. Then expect them to do the same back to you, so be prepared for it.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:27 pm

Thanks folks. I'm usually straight enough and tend not to get into much trouble, so probably a difficult enough matchplay opponent (bit like Jim Furyk).

INW- thats seems a nice nugget to have in one's arsenal, I'd imagine any friendly conversation would dry up after that Smile

Super- have you ever confronted a matchplay opponent for cheating?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:43 pm

No I haven't Inco, but it has certainly fuelled my motivation.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that a match is never over until it is over.
I was four down with five to play one year in the Club Champs and won every single hole. Everything he touched went left and he had become really chatty thinking that he'd won then when I won 14 and 15 he tightened up and totally bottled it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next