The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That really grinds my gears thread

+27
Mind the windows Tino.
dummy_half
superflyweight
Duty281
alfie
Tattie Scones RRN
guildfordbat
lostinwales
Dolphin Ziggler
Soul Requiem
Afro
Breadvan
Pr4wn
Samo
MrInvisible
No name Bertie
JDizzle
Pal Joey
compelling and rich
Galted
Derbymanc
SecretFly
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
navyblueshorts
Luckless Pedestrian
JuliusHMarx
31 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 3 Empty That really grinds my gears thread

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 28 Mar 2019, 9:48 am

First topic message reminder :

People who post meaningless posts just to steal the thread split for the Morning Tea Society.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 3 Empty Re: That really grinds my gears thread

Post by lostinwales Fri 10 Jan 2020, 4:16 pm

Pal Joey wrote:Laugh I always pick up jars by the lid too.

Not really a "grind my gears" but I guess it could be classified as odd behaviour / taking things a little too far.

Had some airbnb guests about 6 months ago. I should have read between the lines when I saw that they were from Salt Lake City. Turns out the old man is a well known priest back home. Asked me if I had "an altar" lying around so he could use. Told him "no I don't... just the furniture that's here"

Had a feeling they were running some sort of religious service in the next room which didn't worry me in the slightest. One day the door was left ajar (whilst they were visiting St Mary's Cathedral for the umpteenth time in a few days) and I could see through the gap that the furniture had been rearranged and some makeshift altar had been set up on my antique drinks cabinet (well that's what I use it for) complete with a massive cross on the wall. Lots of candles too! It was like Rouen Cathedral in there. Quite impressive really. Wink

When they left I could see that he had driven a few small nails into my sitting room wall... obviously to hold up the large cross. Not any huge damage to the wall (to be fair) but I still think it was a little out of order - not to mention immoral in the broader general meaning of the word.

I used to go to Salt Lake City on business (mining related ) on a regular basis for about 10 years. To be honest I really like it, particularly in comparison to most of the American cities I have been to, but the whole Mormon thing (and the resulting bylaws) are just odd. It does do a great job of giving common cause to everybody who isn't a Mormon.

It also gave rise to one of my favourite beer names. Wasatch Brewery's Polygamy Porter (why have just one?)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 3 Empty Re: That really grinds my gears thread

Post by Pal Joey Wed 05 Feb 2020, 10:36 pm

When you buy a nice tasty looking crusty loaf of bread and discover a large air pocket which seems to get bigger as you slice your way down the loaf. Makes spreading your butter (or whatever) more difficult. I always try to butter and spread over the holes after toasting... but then it all oozes through onto the webbing of your hand when you start to take bites out of it.

Bread baking standards have really slipped in certain parts of this country. I feel a bit ripped off sometimes!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Feb 2020, 11:47 pm

Pal Joey wrote:When you buy a nice tasty looking crusty loaf of bread and discover a large air pocket which seems to get bigger as you slice your way down the loaf. Makes spreading your butter (or whatever) more difficult. I always try to butter and spread over the holes after toasting... but then it all oozes through onto the webbing of your hand when you start to take bites out of it.

Bread baking standards have really slipped in certain parts of this country. I feel a bit ripped off sometimes!

Joey - you must get really hacked off with polo mints! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Feb 2020, 3:51 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:When you buy a nice tasty looking crusty loaf of bread and discover a large air pocket which seems to get bigger as you slice your way down the loaf. Makes spreading your butter (or whatever) more difficult. I always try to butter and spread over the holes after toasting... but then it all oozes through onto the webbing of your hand when you start to take bites out of it.

No Guildford, with polo mints, life savers, donuts and the like; the hole is completely understood and anticipated.
Ditto for Swiss cheese - which is the same process (gas bubbles from bacteria creating the holes) as occurs in the aforementioned bread. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 06 Feb 2020, 6:41 am

Definitely agree with this. The hole in the polo is purposeful, all part of the package.

The whole in some delicious bread is not only extremely disappointing, it also renders the slices completely useless.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 06 Feb 2020, 9:50 am

Pal Joey wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

No Guildford, with polo mints, life savers, donuts and the like; the hole is completely understood and anticipated.
Ditto for Swiss cheese - which is the same process (gas bubbles from bacteria creating the holes) as occurs in the aforementioned bread. Smile

I completely buy into the artisan bread thing myself (and have been making several loaves a week for years) but do find it funny that big air holes seems to be part and parcel of the 'brand'. I always feel that having large holes in my own bread counts as a fail.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 06 Feb 2020, 11:55 am

The GD has really changed.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:00 pm

Mints with holes....not so bad.

XXX strong mints where some numpty has dropped the packet/box somewhere along the line, and each mint has broken in half?

Hanging offence.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:07 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Mints with holes....not so bad.

XXX strong mints where some numpty has dropped the packet/box somewhere along the line, and each mint has broken in half?

Hanging offence.

Yes, the same with certain types of biscuit. I always try to have a quick feel when I'm in the aisle  Whistle  or reach for a packet near the back.
The theory being they are less likely to have been dropped or tampered with if they are buried somewhere in the middle of a stack.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:35 pm

When you open a packet of crisps from a multipack, and it hasn't been sealed properly and the crisps are soft. 

It's not so bad unless it's the last pack.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 06 Feb 2020, 4:48 pm

Pal Joey wrote:

Yes, the same with certain types of biscuit. I always try to have a quick feel when I'm in the aisle  Whistle  or reach for a packet near the back.
The theory being they are less likely to have been dropped or tampered with if they are buried somewhere in the middle of a stack.

You can judge by sound when something is whole or cracked.  So I usually just firmly knock a pack a few times against the metal shelving to make sure I don't have a dud pack. It usually takes ten or twelve packs before I realise they're all dud and I just go buy a loaf of bread instead........ Run

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:26 am

Agree w/ recent biscuits/bread issues.

One for me from last night: driving in slowish traffic or stop/start queue. Person in front either lazy, asleep or doing something they shouldn't (phone/book/map etc) leaves gap as car in front of them moves off. Annoying tw@t in adjacent lanes jumps into our queue. Repeat, ad nauseam, as person in front behaves the same for rest of journey.
Problem: who annoys me most? Prat in front, or multiple tw@ts who, knowing they're in wrong lane, take advantage of gap and repeatedly jump in?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:31 am

You really hate it here in the Philippines then Laugh

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:37 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Agree w/ recent biscuits/bread issues.

One for me from last night: driving in slowish traffic or stop/start queue. Person in front either lazy, asleep or doing something they shouldn't (phone/book/map etc) leaves gap as car in front of them moves off. Annoying tw@t in adjacent lanes jumps into our queue. Repeat, ad nauseam, as person in front behaves the same for rest of journey.
Problem: who annoys me most? Prat in front, or multiple tw@ts who, knowing they're in wrong lane, take advantage of gap and repeatedly jump in?

Yeah... I hate that. Or when you are second in line at a short-timed set of lights and the fecker in front is slow to react/half asleep/on the phone... then gets through on the amber leaving you in the lurch having to wait for the next set.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:41 am

Hang both of them with the same rope!

I was going to do a traffic one a day or so ago but thought better of it.

But now you've given me licence, Navy, so here I go.

Traffic lights at junctions.  Two sets.  One for straight through.  One for turn right.  One for straight-through worlks all the time.  One for right never works.  
I can understand lack of maintenance in a country town.  I mightn't like it but you can appreciate such oversights perhaps.  But in a busy city (Dublin), it just annoys the hell out of me.  If you're turning right you have to edge yourself out slowly on the straight-through green as cars on the opposite side whizz past you.  
And you have to edge it in a way that you won't be caught in the yellow grid box when the light goes red - mayhem!  Taxi drivers with samurai swords chasing you through the city for the rest of the day!  Blood!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:43 am

Pal Joey wrote:

Yeah... I hate that. Or when you are second in line at a short-timed set of lights and the fecker in front is slow to react/half asleep/on the phone... then gets through on the amber leaving you in the lurch having to wait for the next set.

Tune into Dr Ray DeAngelo Harris at such moments and chill, baby. OK

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:14 am

Drivers who don't indicate, give thanks for being let through, pull out in front of you when there's no vehicles behind you or drive half the speed limit, should spontaneously combust. In a safe area away from other traffic of course......

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:21 am

..... drivers that slow down, stop and look right and left before entering a motorway off a slip road!
Ok, so I exaggerate a little there but you get my meaning - overly tentative accident magnets!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:26 am

SecretFly wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:

Tune into Dr Ray DeAngelo Harris at such moments and chill, baby. OK

Oh I'm chilled outwardly... but it pisses me off inwardly for a few moments.
No point getting angry on the roads but it's annoying having to contend with these half-wits.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:58 am

When you're about to cross the road, but you see someone indicating to turn, so you wait - but the bustard's actually turning at the next road on.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 07 Feb 2020, 11:55 am

When you're so drunk you can't concentrate on the traffic lights properly and every time they change some t-wat jumps in front of you and the person behind starts hooting like it's your fault.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 07 Feb 2020, 3:16 pm

Pr4wn wrote:You really hate it here in the Philippines then Laugh
Laugh Maybe. I've driven in Valetta and Napoli before (both utter mayhem), but they didn't seem so bad once you got used to it, and after the initial shock, as it was the norm and kind of expected. I just joined in there. Somehow it seems more annoying here....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 07 Feb 2020, 3:20 pm

Pal Joey wrote:

Yep. Definitely. That said, I once was having an inter-car row (rude gestures etc) w/ someone behind me (their fault, obviously). We stopped at lights. When they went green, I pretended I'd stalled or some such, which pissed her off no end in any case. As lights went from amber back to red, I floored it - fast enough to be well clear of oncoming traffic, but such that the fecker behind had to wait until the next green light. Still reminisce on that one....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 07 Feb 2020, 3:23 pm

All these traffic gripes make me remember that my ideal superpower might well be a 6th sense, so I can anticipate all these winkers and then close gaps, not let them in (because i know in advance they won't say thanks) etc. If I could combine that w/ some sort of telekenesis, I'd superheat all the air in their tyres simultaneously so they're all of a sudden on 4 flats (once I'm out the way, of course).
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 08 Feb 2020, 5:18 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:You really hate it here in the Philippines then Laugh
Laugh Maybe. I've driven in Valetta and Napoli before (both utter mayhem), but they didn't seem so bad once you got used to it, and after the initial shock, as it was the norm and kind of expected. I just joined in there. Somehow it seems more annoying here....

That's exactly how it is. I've now become one of them. You just don't get anywhere otherwise.

It just becomes part and parcel of driving here. But if anyone does that to me when I'm back home in the UK, it drives me mental.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 09 Feb 2020, 1:16 pm

Newsreaders who are all smiles just after announcing the latest shooting, war situation in Syria or rising death toll from the coronavirus.

Honestly... how hard is it to show a serious concerned face with these horrible vents unfolding?
Do the producers have the ability to pull them aside and tell them - that that wasn't a good look? Or are they in the same smug little bubble too?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 09 Feb 2020, 1:53 pm

I get you Joey.... but I think it's even worse to see the newsreaders who can do the 'correct emotion', 'expression' for each segment - mournful gaze for the death of a famous person or the war reports, then giggly jolly eyes for the cat saved in a tree, then back again to morbidly downcast features for a recap of the more serious news.

Nope, that's much too ultra produced and TV slick for my tastes. Reality TV has much to answer for when even newsreaders have to coax the 'right' emotions for the Goggle eyed viewers.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:03 pm

Sorry, I obviously meant "events" above. However "horrible vents unfolding" are also a very serious problem I'd imagine and they shouldn't be taken lightly by any newsreader.

A serious facial expression; similar to the one used by the lady newsreader when announcing the LGBTQ+ Referendum in Switzerland the other day would be entirely appropriate I'd say.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 02 Mar 2020, 8:02 am

I had lunch at the same place last week... 3 days in a row. Ordered exactly the same thing on each day - schnitzel & salad (I'm over chips atm).
The first day it was quite well presented and it was a decent man-sized portion. The second day the schnitzel seemed to be about 1/4 smaller.
On the third day it was even smaller still. About half the size of the one on the first day.

The waitress couldn't resist asking me "How was my meal?" with one of those (forced) grins on her face.
"Not bad" I said "but I'm sure the portions are getting smaller each day."
That's not possible" she said. "All of our schnitzels are exactly the same size!"

"No they are not.." was my calmly delivered retort. I then gave her an impression of the scaling down in size using my hands as a visual cue. Should have seen the look on the other customers' faces. Some upped and left. A bunch of kids next to me looked shocked. They even stopped playing with their phones.

I won't be going back to that place - that's for sure. I've found a better place anyway. Waitress has no manners either but the food's OK. For now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 02 Mar 2020, 8:22 am

It's only Monday. We'll tune back in on Thursday to find out how much the schnitzel shrunk this time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 02 Mar 2020, 8:48 am

We'll never know, fly. As I said above. I ain't goin' back.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 02 Mar 2020, 10:33 am

Shrinking schnitzels , PJ ? Whatever next ?

I blame the militant vegans.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 02 Mar 2020, 12:16 pm

Yes alfie, maybe it's their way of letting me know I should eat even less meat. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Mar 2020, 4:05 pm

Poor old Liverpool soccer team.....Going to win the title for the first time in a while and it will be an anticlimax with Corona disrupting things....

City v Arsenal will be one of many casualties..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Mar 2020, 10:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Poor old Liverpool soccer team.....Going to win the title for the first time in a while and it will be an anticlimax with Corona disrupting things....

City v Arsenal will be one of many casualties..

Best case scenario for Liverpool, they win the title at a ground devoid of any fans. Worst case, the league gets annulled for this season...

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Mar 2020, 3:03 pm

City v Real Madrid looks likely to buy the farm so the Champions league is going to be over for this year....Three Leicester players are Self isolating so the end looks nigh for the Premiership too if they are the tip...

Festivals getting cancelled...Conferences too...So a matter of time before Soccer games if played are behind closed doors..

Which will be terrible news for lower division hand to mouth teams that are already desperate for revenue..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 17 Mar 2020, 5:04 pm

A little pedantic I know but Parents giving their kids fancy names when their surname is ordinary...

Jose Luis Broomhead for me doesn't sound great.. Emo

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 26 May 2020, 8:39 am

When you see vision on a news story of someone walking their dog in the park (especially during this coronavirus health crisis) and the leash is sort of under the dog's belly... between the legs and under tension around the crotch area. Looks so bloody painful especially when the mutt is still "smiling" or more likely actually grimacing. Looks even worse when it's a small dog trying to put on a brave face.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Jun 2020, 2:32 pm

The constant daily grind of exchanging pleasantries and feigning interest in others lives....When I don't want to..

I think they call it a mid life crisis..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 05 Jun 2020, 3:13 pm

Do you own a Harley Davidson?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Jun 2020, 3:27 pm

No but I watch Easy rider once a year.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jul 2020, 4:11 pm

BBC website "Lewis Hamilton wants more done for equality".........

"Tax exile" wants more done for equality while EPI shows the levels of poverty pay for persons of color has risen 5% in the last few years...

I wouldn't get down on a knee for BLM either if this hypocritical idiot asked me....

Anyone else I might...

TRUSSMAN66

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 15 Jul 2020, 9:01 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:BBC website "Lewis Hamilton wants more done for equality".........

"Tax exile" wants more done for equality while EPI shows the levels of poverty pay for persons of color has risen 5% in the last few years...

I wouldn't get down on a knee for BLM either if this hypocritical idiot asked me....

Anyone else I might...

So he would only be worth listening to if he had no talent and had not made a huge pile of cash? I guess thats why you listen to the rest of us on here.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 01 Oct 2020, 4:15 pm

Wonder how much longer Sport stars are going to have to get down on one knee an pledge eternal loyalty to ending racism.

Empty gestures are empty and come very cheap

Some of us have been opposing racism and fighting for equality all our lives but don't need patronising garbage like clapping underpaid NHS staff or taking a knee to show that Black lives matter..

Any idiot can clap or kneel down....

Better Schools..More Housing....More Community projects in deprived areas bringing cohesian and respect.... and a fairer Tax system...

That is more like it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 01 Oct 2020, 4:23 pm

People voting Conservative and then clapping for the NHS is a special kind of stupid.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 01 Oct 2020, 4:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wonder how much longer Sport stars are going to have to get down on one knee an pledge eternal loyalty to ending racism.  

Empty gestures are empty and come very cheap

Some of us have been opposing racism and fighting for equality all our lives but don't need patronising garbage like clapping underpaid NHS staff or taking a knee to show that Black lives matter..

Any idiot can clap or kneel down....

Better Schools..More Housing....More Community projects in deprived areas bringing cohesian and respect.... and a fairer Tax system...

That is more like it.

OK Agreed, and God help those that break the covenant re. kneeling; the thought police will whisk them off to some correction centre pretty sharpish I think.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 01 Oct 2020, 5:37 pm

Plenty of people/teams across a variety of sports haven't kneeled and very little has happened to them.

Agree that kneeling is a wholly empty gesture, though.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 02 Oct 2020, 12:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:Plenty of people/teams across a variety of sports haven't kneeled and very little has happened to them.

Agree that kneeling is a wholly empty gesture, though.

When it was just Colin Kapernick and a few others doing it, there was a meaning and a purpose (and controversy). Now that it is effectively mandated by the sports authorities, it has become hollow - far better that something like this is led by some thoughtful individuals and that others can then lend their support (as with Rashford and the school dinners issue) rather than becoming just part of the routine.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Oct 2020, 2:24 pm

Perhaps we are over reacting...After all the President did get down on one knee to General Zod.

Not sure lines like "These Humans are beginning to bore me" would have played well with the Focus groups.

Though he'd still be favourite to beat Trump.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 Dec 2020, 10:57 am

Not going to be a popular opinion but while I deplore the way Millwall fans went about it I can understand People getting sick of performing or having to watch People take a knee because 'Black lives Matter'....

After four months we all get the message and the People who don't get it aren't open to it anyway.

Patronising rubbish that if it continues too long will only stoke resentment...

Bin the virtue signalling crap.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next