The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Open Invitation

+9
Davie
oldshanker
SmithersJones
drive4show
Doc
Maverick
Mercurio
sharrison01
LondonJonnyO
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

An Open Invitation Empty An Open Invitation

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:17 pm

http://www.northwealdgolfclub.co.uk/files/northwealdgolfclub.co.uk/39/Men%27s_Open_Form_11.pdf

The above is a link to the 36 hole Open my club is hosting this year. I have no idea if it's a well supported event or not but it seems to be a higher handicap limit than others that are around. It's a max 18 entry list and it has both handicap and scratch prizes on offer as well as some nearest the pin and longest drive events as well.

It's an enjoyable course, although not overly tough if I'm honest, and plays a lot more links-like than essex parkland at the moment. The biggest defence there is the wind and the greens which are very very slopey requiring accurate iron play.

I'm intending to enter and D4S (who actually brought this to my attention even though I'm a member) also seems to be interested.

If anyone does decide to play there are a number of hotels locally including the Bell Hotel in Epping, The Thatched House B&B between Epping and Theydon Bois, The Park Inn in Harlow (very close to the course), Travelodge in North Weald (one roundabout from the course!) as well as various others in Chelmsford, Ongar, Harlow, Waltham Abbey and other fairly local places.

I can also highly recommend an Indian local to me that makes an excellent Samosa. Whistle
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

An Open Invitation Empty Re: An Open Invitation

Post by sharrison01 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Smiths in Ongar - get some nutrition in before a round and save your trousers...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm

They're not bad up there to be fair... Although I prefer the Clocktower Harrison.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Never been there but a few have now recommended it. Just been to the new Smiths in Wapping - great food overlooking the river and no chance of being in the background of the only way is essex!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:32 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Never been there but a few have now recommended it. Just been to the new Smiths in Wapping - great food overlooking the river and no chance of being in the background of the only way is essex!

Ha! Yeah that is a bit of a danger these days. Although they tend to be in places like the Nu Bar in Loughton, around the Prince Regent at times, 195 in Epping as well as a few other bars there can get a bit of an attraction from time to time. I've also seen them in a few of my locals recently so I am currently carrying a small crossbow on the offchance that I get to take one of the orange nightmares out quickly and quietly.

On a serious note... try the Clocktower. The one in Epping is far better I think. Although I don't think I have ever ordered from the regular menu... specials board every time. And the fish dishes can be incredible in there.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Clocktower and crossbow - on the list...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:35 pm

I would have entered but my remaining holidays for the year are few and provisionally taken.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Do they have a special spas section for walking wounded, sounds like would've been a good day, damn this dodgy leg, i'm climbing the walls for a game now! Or I would be if I could climb!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Actually it's a shame it's not on a Saturday. My local cricket club has a kiddies training session on Friday evenings and there is a BBQ and beer flowing for the parents/visitors.

The Milfs are on full display usually and it is a bit of a favourite haunt for an early friday afternoon drink.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Mercurio wrote:I would have entered but my remaining holidays for the year are few and provisionally taken.

Can I throw out the phrase "pulling a sickie" Whistle

Maverick wrote:Do they have a special spas section for walking wounded, sounds like would've been a good day, damn this dodgy leg, i'm climbing the walls for a game now! Or I would be if I could climb!

I hope so. After my showing in Bournemouth that's the one I'm targetting for a result in.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Was bournemouth that bad LJ, and did someone mention MILFS!!! Sod the golf lets go drinking!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Honestly yes.

As for the other. I agree... every friday without fail if theres no rain.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Well LJ when I'm able to get back behind the wheel, I may have to talk a wee trip down there, purely for purposes of seeing what the place is like of course!!!

What happened at bournemouth then dare i ask

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Just one of those days I think. I'm kind of stuck between two places at the moment with my swing. As a result I'm lucky to hit that proverbial banjo. I'd struggle with a double bass and a cow right now.

But... Once I had the reaction of the greens worked out I was very pleased with my short game and putting. Including an up and down of legendary status on the 10th at Queens. Long grass. Downhill to the green. Firm ground. 8 foot high chainlink fence in the way. Around 40 yards to carry to the green which was on a severe downslope. Pitched it on the green and held it to a shortsided flag around 4 feet from the stick. Holed the putt and I felt like a golfer.

It was also the same hole that D4S was in a bunker some 15 yards from the hole. Flipped it out to a similar distance. Managed to hit a stone into his top lip and created a bit of a bloodbath on his face. But holed his putt for another top drawer par.

I had to laugh afterwards though as after my somewhat bold lobbing wedge from behind the fence I was informed that there was a drop zone I could have used about ten yards from the green which offered a much easier solution to my dilemma. furious
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:54 pm

"Did someone mention MILF's", doesnt take much to get off thread does it, nice one Mav, good to see 2 of your legs are still in good order Very Happy

LJ I guess the new wedge worked ok at least then?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Doc. It really is a completely different class.

So much so that I am throwing out the 54 degree Vokey which now feels bloody awful at impact and ordering up another fitting for a wedge to replace it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:14 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Doc. It really is a completely different class.

So much so that I am throwing out the 54 degree Vokey which now feels bloody awful at impact and ordering up another fitting for a wedge to replace it.

Seems Mr Porter is one of the good guys who do fitting - proper fitting. I told you my brother in law was having Lee make him a set of Muira's didn't I, also getting a Wishon driver from him too. thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Really is a good guy... But the quality of the club is outstanding.

It feels and responds so so well. And goes a lot further than I was expecting as well for such a soft response.

I approve!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:37 pm

So, who is up for this then? Ideal opportunity for a good get-together, lots of us based in and around the South and a high handicap limit as well Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Quite fancy it, will need to look at the holiday situation.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:45 pm

That's pretty tempting LJ - poor day mind you, but still tempting. Whistle
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:48 pm

I was thinking you might get involved Shanker. In fact I almost sent you a message about it rather than letting you see it on here.

There is good news... The ringer can't play as he has no official handicap standing.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:49 pm

drive4show wrote:So, who is up for this then? Ideal opportunity for a good get-together, lots of us based in and around the South and a high handicap limit as well Smile

Not quite high enough unfortunately or I would be considering it

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Davie wrote:
drive4show wrote:So, who is up for this then? Ideal opportunity for a good get-together, lots of us based in and around the South and a high handicap limit as well Smile

Not quite high enough unfortunately or I would be considering it

I can find out if they'll raise the entry limit but have you play off 18 if you like Davie. You never know as it's better to have it supported than not.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:53 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:There is good news... The ringer can't play as he has no official handicap standing.

Shame <shakeshead> he could carry the bags mind you. devil

I'll see if my diary can be moved about. laughing
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:54 pm

oldshanker wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:There is good news... The ringer can't play as he has no official handicap standing.

Shame <shakeshead> he could carry the bags mind you. devil

I'll see if my diary can be moved about. laughing

You know that has crossed my mind. Not sure how that will go down though. Whistle
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Nice thought LJ but having to play 3 or 4 strokes less than my current h/c may be a bridge too far. I'm more looking out for one of the more social meetups that suits my diary and location to break my 606v2 meetup virginity.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Is he saying we is anti-social LJ.....hold me back........ Very Happy
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 pm

He has a point.... I've been making a Guy-Moderator to burn in effigy this year. It might have been nice to have a real one in place of my work. devil
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 pm

I'll give it some thought. What would we do meet up night before for a ruby and play the 36 holes on the Thursday. I'd need the day off wednesday, because it's a bit of a hike for me tbh.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Pretty much. There's a curry house in my village which is pretty good. They are the ones that make the infamous special samosas.... As well as other treats. Their tandoori lamb chop madras is excellent. It's not on the menu.... but it's still good. thumbsup
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:52 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
Mercurio wrote:I would have entered but my remaining holidays for the year are few and provisionally taken.

Can I throw out the phrase "pulling a sickie"

I didn't get to where I am today by pulling sickies.

No, I got to where I am today by turning up at work and shirking!

Whistle

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:17 pm

LJ:
I phoned up today. I'll give this a bash. They are low on numbers so need to drum up some more support! Hug
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Mercurio wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:

Can I throw out the phrase "pulling a sickie"

I didn't get to where I am today by pulling sickies.

No, I got to where I am today by turning up at work and shirking!

Whistle

Merc

Sounds like you won't be missed at work then, see you at North Weald!! Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Bumping this up to the top... Come on guys. It's a good price, about as high a prize as you can accept as a amateur for a 36 hole event, a decent track in reasonable condition (considering the recent drought!) and a good opportunity to get together.

All handicaps from 18 down are welcome and I might even be able to convince them to accept higher handicaps if I work hard enough.

So call the office on 01992 522 118 and register an interest. You can even enter and pay over the phone.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:17 pm

After a metaphorical poke in the ribs, had another look at this and things look they're going to work out for me to give this one a go 8).

I suppose I can phone them but what's the cutoff/deadline for getting an entry in?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Well done Navy, look forward to meeting up and sinking a beer or two thumbsup

Cutoff date is 7th July but they will accept entries over the phone via debit/credit card.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:27 pm

drive4show wrote:Well done Navy, look forward to meeting up and sinking a beer or two thumbsup

Cutoff date is 7th July but they will accept entries over the phone via debit/credit card.

Excellent. I'll get my entry sorted this week all being well. If I play as well as in a Stableford the other day (28 points in decent weather w/ 32 putts!), I'll need more than a simple beer or two! Good, relaxed (zen) practice session over lunch today though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:56 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Bumping this up to the top... Come on guys. It's a good price, about as high a prize as you can accept as a amateur for a 36 hole event, a decent track in reasonable condition (considering the recent drought!) and a good opportunity to get together.

All handicaps from 18 down are welcome and I might even be able to convince them to accept higher handicaps if I work hard enough.

So call the office on 01992 522 118 and register an interest. You can even enter and pay over the phone.

LJ: I'll pay over the phone when I get paid next week. Count me in - any advice on cheap and nasty B&Bs ion close proximity to the event/local pubs would be muchly appreciated thumbsup
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Just seen this.

I've already sent the nearest hotels to the course and to me.

As for pubs. For the Travel Lodge there is a place called the Talbot just down the road. Never been in there. You could cross the road into Blakes Golf Club and use their bar. Or there is the Kings Oak (I think) in North Weald five minutes away. Pretty decent pub.

My drinking den is in Theydon Bois. I prefer Theydons to watch young women in very little clothing (food is meant to be top drawer. Sold out regularly at the weekends). Or the Victoria for a decent pint.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:15 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Just seen this.

I've already sent the nearest hotels to the course and to me.

As for pubs. For the Travel Lodge there is a place called the Talbot just down the road. Never been in there. You could cross the road into Blakes Golf Club and use their bar. Or there is the Kings Oak (I think) in North Weald five minutes away. Pretty decent pub.

My drinking den is in Theydon Bois. I prefer Theydons to watch young women in very little clothing (food is meant to be top drawer. Sold out regularly at the weekends). Or the Victoria for a decent pint.

LJ: you had me at 'young women in very little clothing' although there always seems to be a direct correlation between beer and women; i.e. good bar for women = cr@p ale; excellent ale = few dodgy blokes sat about fondling their whippets. The holy grail is getting an excellent pub with decent or indecent women with a decent brew t'boot; ohh and short staggering distance from digs (that's hotel btw not a reference to 606v2 character) Laugh
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Have already indicated to D4S that I'm unlikely to get the time off due to the other time I already have booked off in July. However this little comment caught my eye

"I prefer Theydons to watch young women in very little clothing (food is meant to be top drawer. Sold out regularly at the weekends). "

Off to review my July workload in the morning to see if I can create a gap Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Jas i also know an indian that is full of that sort of essex bird... No jsm on offer but i guess you have to suffer some things in the pursuit of nice views
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 pm

JAS wrote:Have already indicated to D4S that I'm unlikely to get the time off due to the other time I already have booked off in July. However this little comment caught my eye

"I prefer Theydons to watch young women in very little clothing (food is meant to be top drawer. Sold out regularly at the weekends). "

Off to review my July workload in the morning to see if I can create a gap Wink

Cmon JAS - you know it makes sense Yahoo
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:08 pm

OK - I'm in, everything bought and paid for.

Looking forward to meeting the 606ers that I haven't met before and renewing others.

I will be shooting down in the morning as it is just an hour and a bit away from me and I will try not to drink too much before sloping off at night.

See you all then. Hug
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:42 pm

furious Work have just arranged an important, must-go, meeting on the 21st July so I'm afraid I'm going to have to bail on this now. Was looking forward to it..... steam

Hope to have a chance to meet up with some of the 606 Massive another time.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Just seen on the North Weald website that they have cancelled the open Crying or Very sad
Do people still want to meet up and have a game anyway? We could play somewhere in that area, also consider playing 18 in the afternoon so that people who can't manage an overnight stay could still get there for a day trip.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:12 pm

drive4show wrote:Just seen on the North Weald website that they have cancelled the open Crying or Very sad
Do people still want to meet up and have a game anyway? We could play somewhere in that area, also consider playing 18 in the afternoon so that people who can't manage an overnight stay could still get there for a day trip.

That's a b*gger! I did wonder how many people they needed to enter to pay £1200 (guessing £300, £200, £100 x 2 from the £300 first prize mentioned) and before anyone gets smart and says 48, you know what I meant. Seems a bit premature given the closing date was the 7th.

I've booked the day off now, so will probably play somewhere, so I'm happy to meet up.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Hmmff - I was really looking forward to the day. I've not done anything like this for nearly 40 years. furious

Like SJ, I have booked the day off now and would be happy to meet up somewhere within reason.

With SJ in Essex, me in Cambs, D4S in Dorset, NST in Worcs is it and LJ in the Theydon region, then maybe somewhere just North of the M25 in say St Albans(ish) might be reasonable......just throwing that into the hat for a starter!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Anywhere around the M25 suits me as I'm planning to stay in town to catch up with a mate then drive to wherever we are playing in the morning.

Sunningdale anyone?? Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next