The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddie Jones Review

+11
TJ
Soul Requiem
flyhalffactory
cb
Sharkey06
Rugby Fan
MichaelT
Geordie
No 7&1/2
doctor_grey
WELL-PAST-IT
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eddie Jones Review - Page 2 Empty Eddie Jones Review

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 20 Apr 2021, 4:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Looks like we have got him for a bit longer, the review has backed him. The only reason seems to be we have learned a lot of lessons.

What I find astonishing is that we, on this board didn't need to learn them, we already new that the Sarries guys were not ready, that continually swapping the backs around was not helpful, players that were out of form and were knackered should have been rested before the squad was picked.

Full article from the BeeB

Eddie Jones has been backed to continue as England head coach following a review into the team's disappointing fifth-place finish in the Six Nations.

Jones' position had been under scrutiny since defeats by Ireland, Wales and Scotland in the same tournament for the first time in 45 years.

"The debrief was a valuable process, we all learned a lot," Jones said.

"Most importantly, we have identified actions to enable the team to move forward positively towards 2023."

The panel reviewing England's performance consisted of "RFU board members, executives and independent experts", while past and present players - as well as the coaches - also gave their feedback.

The RFU says the overall response from the players was "positive and supportive" and there were a "number of contributing factors" that led to England's poor campaign.

Among them was the absence from the coaching team of Jason Ryles and Neil Craig, who were both unable to travel because of the Covid pandemic. Forwards coach Matt Proudfoot missed the start of the training camp after testing positive for the virus while Jones himself was also forced to self-isolate.

The RFU also admits a number of players - especially those from Saracens - "did not have enough game time going into the Six Nations", while other players were overly-fatigued after back-to-back seasons.

The review also concluded England's stringent coronavirus protocols, which they say were "in some cases greater than other unions", had a detrimental impact on the coaching staff and the cohesion of the players.

The RFU added that several recommendations will be implemented before the July Test matches against the United States and Canada, which are currently under review.

As part of the recommendations, the RFU plans to "deepen its alignment" with England's professional clubs, which will start with a summer conference between the major stakeholders in order "to find common ground and goals for the English game going forward".

There will also be additional refereeing input in a bid to rectify England's alarming ill-discipline, as well as "enhanced sports psychology", a more streamlined use of data, and the counsel of "external rugby experts" to help Jones after each campaign.

"Sport is all about fine margins, which is why every campaign debrief is invaluable in helping us to learn and improve," said RFU boss Bill Sweeney.

"Eddie approached this review with a great deal of self-awareness and humility, allowing us to look at every aspect of the tournament to identify every small change we can make in order to improve."

Jones, who steered England to the World Cup final in 2019, was candid about his side's below-par results so far this year.

"During the Six Nations we were not up to our usual high standards and we recognise that," said the Australian.

"I'm looking forward to the summer tour, which will provide a great opportunity to see more of our emerging talent and I'm confident our next team will come back stronger this autumn building up to a winning performance in the next Six Nations.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Eddie Jones Review - Page 2 Empty Re: Eddie Jones Review

Post by king_carlos Wed 05 May 2021, 4:59 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I'd be disappointed by the wingers if that was the selection. Cokanasiga and the London Irish lads need to be there for me ahead of O'Flaherty who is a good prem player and nothing more and 2 guys id consider to be centres.
I really rate O'Flaherty. Seems a rock solid all round player with excellent finishing skills.

I'd take Hassell-Collins over Cokanasiga at present. After his struggles since that injury during the RWC I'd just let Cokanasiga get game time with Bath and a full preseason personally.

Marchant's a player I genuinely think could cover wing and centre to a very good standard which is useful. He's been good on the wing for England and the Blues as well as being a very classy centre. I've been championing Marchant for a while though I admit.

Odogwu's best position is something I'm uncertain of. His attacking play has a huge ceiling but his lack of high ball work is an issue on the wing and he has limited experience at 13 defensively. At current I'd prefer him at centre but really just want to see him play during those games.

Wing isn't an area I'm concerned with though given Watson, May and Nowell are young and good enough to make the next RWC.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 05 May 2021, 5:20 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Wing isn't an area I'm concerned with though given Watson, May and Nowell are young and good enough to make the next RWC.

I hope you are right. May is getting to that age where one bad injury could kill his pace - but if anyone can keep a career at wing going for a long time he can. Both Nowell and Watson have had a run of injuries.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 05 May 2021, 6:15 pm

I'm with Carlos I rate Marchant highly, for me he's the natural successor to Joseph and I'd actually like us to leave Joseph out of the squad on that basis. 

Wings, well May is now 31 so that's 33 by the next world cup. Dangerous age range for your speedster. I'd say it's 50/50 as to whether he makes it. Nowell, Daly and Watson will all be around 30 by the next RWC. That's not alarm bell territory by at the same time you've got to consider whether they'll all be top of their game in two years time. I certainly think the best option is to look for the young guys at 15 and get ideally one of those settled in alongside some experience. If you've got the solid platform at 15 then you can consider experiments at wing a lot easier moving forward.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 06 May 2021, 7:50 am

I'm coming from the pov that the youngsters are actually pushing their case on a performance basis. Though as I've said I want those handful of players from this tour to cement themselves in the squad I also want the wider opportunity at looking at some of the young guns. O'Flaherty has played well for Exeter but he'd be nothing more than a very short term back stop while players like Loader and Hassell-Collins could go onto to long England careers.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 06 May 2021, 9:07 am

What about playing Hodge on the wing?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 06 May 2021, 9:21 am

O'Flaherty is 26 so would be younger than all of our current wing options.

Hodge has someway to go before selection. Give him the ball and a gap and he's off but he seems to have an issue holding onto the ball in contact. Give him a year or two to work on his basics and he'll be a cracker. Any of the LI back three could slot into a wing berth. Malins and Steward are both very much fullbacks particularly on the international stage.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 06 May 2021, 9:36 am

Agree id like to see Odogwu at 13...think his bodytype and skill set is made for it.

I want to see Cockasaniga back in the frame..if he can get back to his blockbusting form again. he's had off field issues and injuries ...but they are all fixed now so lets see if he can be the heavy duty carrier Jones was looking for.

Others:
Radwan
Thorley
Hassell - Collins
Slightholme impressing
Harry Potter? He always impresses me when i see him play.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 06 May 2021, 10:04 am

Odogwu is great going forward but the defensive side concerns me, Lawrence would be my pick there

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 06 May 2021, 10:25 am

If Simmonds is going on the Lions tour like the rumours suggest, then I'd have Barbeary as a back row option in this squad

I like the look of KC's squad, not too many changes I'd make to that.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2