The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'better for everyone. The SA teams will mean bigger, tougher games'

+20
Sgt_Pooly
Oakdene
BamBam
Irish Londoner
LordDowlais
Pot Hale
BigGee
mikey_dragon
neilthom7
RiscaGame
Pete330v2
LeinsterFan4life
y ddraig goch
No 7&1/2
Cyril
PhilBB
Brendan
Old Man
doctor_grey
profitius
24 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

'better for everyone. The SA teams will mean bigger, tougher games' - Page 10 Empty 'better for everyone. The SA teams will mean bigger, tougher games'

Post by profitius Sun 30 May 2021, 7:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Interesting article here.
https://www.the42.ie/south-africa-pro16-5451128-May2021/

Its from a SA point of view but there was also this line: There is hope that the Pro16 could double or treble its turnover in the next six or seven years.

More competition, tougher games, big name players and teams with big fan bases, a straight forward league instead of conferences, better refs (hopefully). Sounds good to me. If Benetton get up to speed it would boost Italian interest too.

I also heard that it won't be called the pro16. Its going to get a new name.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

'better for everyone. The SA teams will mean bigger, tougher games' - Page 10 Empty Re: 'better for everyone. The SA teams will mean bigger, tougher games'

Post by Brendan Mon 06 Sep 2021, 6:53 am

Old Man wrote:Spare a thought for the SA teams who will play their first four matches in Europe without any of their Springboks. I cannot think of a harsher and more challenging start for the SA teams in the newly formed URC.

Talking of starting your first four rounds on the back foot.

They will have it all to do after such a start.

I think the SARU made sure this happened. There is no hope of fans being in the stadium until after the AIs so no point wasting home games fans can't attend, the teams need money. Add in that the stars can pop back in for the last few weeks before their break, fans then aldo get to cheer on the stars they haven't seen in the flesh since the WC.

Plus at the business end of the season Sharks have 6/7 of their last 7/8 games at home. If they are chasing a top 2/4 I would take Durban on harder ptiches over Limerick or Glasgow away just so you can have some early home games

Brendan

Back to top Go down

'better for everyone. The SA teams will mean bigger, tougher games' - Page 10 Empty Re: 'better for everyone. The SA teams will mean bigger, tougher games'

Post by Brendan Mon 06 Sep 2021, 7:02 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Brendan wrote:Lord no offence but you can't blame the URC for the derbies.  What TV company will be showing them.  Might they have had the biggest say in what derbies took place over the new year period.  It's not like any Other TV company or union or team in the league cares if one of the Welsh derbies take place on Stephen's Day or New Years day.  That is a Wales issue not a league issue.

On the derby in October there would be loads of complaints if the two Welsh teams had to play against stacked non Welsh teams with their internationals while the poor welsh were away.  If people want to be upset they will always find a way. Again it's not the leagues fault that WRU organised a game a week early.  Saints play Leicester and Quinn's play Sarries the week before England's first AI, is the Prem now a joke and loads of outrage in England.  URC run the competition not the teams.

They complain that there are derbies week one and two.  You would figure with fans finally let back in the stadiums, the fans would want a good derby in the early weeks.

I don't see any issue with derbies spread over the season.  Either they are your biggest games or they are not.  Also easy to organise to go to Swansea over Edinbrugh on a month notice if you supported another Welsh team.

It seems people just want to complain about the league rather than hold the people in Wales organisations responsible.

Yes, that is exactly it. Well done. Rolling Eyes

Didn't see it mentioned in your comments or the article. Seems to be the league only being singled out.

I would hazard a guess that the Christmas derbies are simply down to Scarlets v Ospreys is the biggest Welsh game and Scarlets and TV believe they will get a bigger crowd on the new date.

The Welsh fans should boycott the NZ game on TV and at the stadium that would put them in their place Wink

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 06 Sep 2021, 10:36 am

I am glad I had already decided not to buy a Season Ticket for Dragons and will pick and choose my games instead. I have highlighted to David Buttress a couple of times, that there's no real value for money in having a ST any more. The Early bird deal was around £190, I believe and that's for less fixtures now (3 less league, less challenge cup games, no LV games etc) from when I used to have one. Back then it cost roughly £10 a game for a ST. Now it's probably nearer £17. A Newport County ticket equates to £10 a game and they generally have a better idea of when their games are.

They seemingly haven't considered anybody when deciding these fixtures. This could in part be the multiple broadcasters again, but I know people have already asked TFW what the trains are going to be like on Boxing Day and I am certain they don't run them. This is why derbies should've been kept as local as possible, to give them a chance for people to make a day of it and make them more accessible. It would be much easier for me to have got to Cardiff or Newport, instead of going an extra 50 miles to Swansea. I am sure that Official Supporters clubs will look at putting coaches on, but it would be better for potential issues like travel to be considered.

Derbies clearly are a bigger deal, but if they keep getting messed around with, as well as constant league reshuffling etc, then it isn't a good look. People like to say the Welsh are always moaning, but then perhaps other people are guilty of walking round with their fingers in their ears, pretending everything is fine when it is not. People like tradition and the way the Christmas derbies are set up, is a big part of that. Boxing day derbies should always be Cardiff v Dragons (or vice versa) and Scarlets v Ospreys. I don't mind the other scheduling, but the derby in October and the mess around with the games on Boxing Day shouldn't be happening. There is no obvious reason why Dragons v Cardiff couldn't take place on 27 Dec (thus negating the travel issue) and Dragons could play somebody like Connacht/Ulster on 23 Oct. Then the ire at the scheduling of the Wales v NZ game could only be solely placed at the door of the WRU, as it wouldn't at least affect a derby and an Interpro game.

This comes down to communication though, where it would only take a brief explanation from URC as to why the fixtures were set up as so. To be fair, somebody like WOL could actually do some journalism and find out why, rather than just post people's tweets or whatever.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 06 Sep 2021, 11:21 am

Well said Risca, for once I find myself agreeing with you. Laugh thumbsup

I really do not think the fans are considered when they do this type of thing, and it only gives the haters a bigger stick top bash the league with.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10