The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS ESSEX LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

5 posters

Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS ESSEX LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 18 Jul 2022, 7:37 pm

Surrey have named a 13 player squad for the County Championship match with Essex starting on Tuesday 19 July.
Ollie Pope returns to the squad having been rested for the trip to Scarborough.  Very Happy  Kemar Roach is available having re-joined the club as an overseas player.  Very Happy Jamie Smith misses out due to illness.  Erm
Moriarty and Virdi are playing for the Second XI against Kent which started Monday, even Though Geddes and Steel are playing in that game both are included in the squad for Essex.
Jordan Clark, Matt Dunn and James Taylor remain on the treatment table.
There is no place in the squad for Tom Curran as he still works he way back from injury.
FULL SQUAD:
Burns
Amla
Foakes
Geddes
Jacks
Lawes
McKerr
Overton
Patel
Pope
Roach
Steel
Worrall
No brainer for me on this one McKerr and Steel to miss out.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS ESSEX LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jul 2022, 8:37 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

McKerr and Steel to miss out was my immediate thought ... however ... and I may be over thinking this ... but ... I wonder if Steel might come in for Geddes. Don't get me wrong! I'm no fan of Steel. However, if we have to bowl in tomorrow's extreme heat, we may need another slowie along with Jacks so as not to bowl our seamers into the ground.

Moriarty would have been a better bet imo for the (weather) conditions but Stewie and Batty clearly don't agree. Hopefully, we won't have produced a spinner's track - a class act like Harmer needs no help from us!

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS ESSEX LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by thegooch7 Tue 19 Jul 2022, 10:52 am

Cheers jimbob, our man in the know guildford calls it, Geddes and McKerr miss out, and the mighty talent Cameron Steel plays, even worse, Essex win the toss and bat, so Harmer bowling in the 4th inns

thegooch7

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 19 Jul 2022, 10:54 am

thegooch7 wrote:Cheers jimbob, our man in the know guildford calls it, Geddes and McKerr miss out, and the mighty talent Cameron Steel plays, even worse, Essex win the toss and bat, so Harmer bowling in the 4th inns
All I can assume is that Geddes has nudes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 19 Jul 2022, 10:54 am

So are Virdi and Moriarty just done at Surrey?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 19 Jul 2022, 2:33 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:So are Virdi and Moriarty just done at Surrey?
probably

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 19 Jul 2022, 2:34 pm

here we go again just like Yorkshire Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 19 Jul 2022, 4:45 pm

5 wkts for Worrall clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 19 Jul 2022, 9:17 pm

losing a wkt in the last over of the day Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2022, 8:28 am

jimbobgooner wrote:5 wkts for Worrall clap clap clap

And a sixfer at the end! For me, 'Frankie' Worrall has been even more of a surprise success for us this season than Overton. Not much rated by me or at all by the Gloucs supporters I spoke to at the Oval last season, Worrall's been impressive bowling full and fast on the stumps. Wonder how much is down to Azhar Mahmood?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2022, 8:36 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:So are Virdi and Moriarty just done at Surrey?

I'll mainly hold fire on the Virdi & Moriarty situation until this season is done but I will say now there seems to be a Man Cityish* element to it which makes me uneasy - hanging on to good players so as to stop other teams having them rather than selecting them.

*Pick another top Premier League team if you prefer.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Jul 2022, 8:40 am

A decent day yesterday - mixed feeling on it. When we lost the toss on the hottest day of the year, if you'd said we'd bowl Essex all out for 271 and only lose one before close ourselves I'd have been delighted.

But, after taking 6 wickets in the first session, allowing them to reach 271 was disappointing.

Big day today - in fact I think I may need to bring Guildford's moving day forward by a day...if we're batting come close of play tonight you'd think we will be in a very strong position, but if Essex can get us all out for in and around their first innings score, you have to think we're in trouble with Harmer in the 4th innings to come.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2022, 8:42 am

jimbobgooner wrote:losing a wkt in the last over of the day Doh

That should be a real boost for Essex  going into day 2. Lose another one early on and the visitors may even be considered on top, particularly with Harmer available to bowl from one end for much of our dig. Jacks & Steel combined don't even amount to a dirty toenail clipping of Harmer!

Going today although a bit concerned it may chuck it down at some point.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 20 Jul 2022, 1:03 pm

At lunch yesterday we were miles on top, but we've lost 3 sessions in a row now, can't concede a big 1st inns lead or we're really going to struggle

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Jul 2022, 3:52 pm

That Cameron Steel continues to get first team games truly truly baffles me - he's clearly not good enough
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 4:11 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:That Cameron Steel continues to get first team games truly truly baffles me - he's clearly not good enough
I don't know many counties who drop a player after scoring a 100 Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 4:26 pm

8 down at tea and sadly it's not because of good bowling

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 4:45 pm

1st batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 5:19 pm

Ted is supporting Jacks well here

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 5:30 pm

2nd and final batting point clap
maybe not Very Happy

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Wed 20 Jul 2022, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 5:37 pm

Jacks into the nervous nineties Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 5:40 pm

100 for Jacks Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo clap clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Jul 2022, 5:47 pm

Welcome all to the Will Jacks bandwagon - we have a lovely spread on today
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 20 Jul 2022, 5:52 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:2nd and final batting point clap

Ye of little faith jimbob!
What a knock from Jacks....150 now!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 6:01 pm

16 balls for jacks to go from 100 to 150 notworthy notworthy notworthy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 6:01 pm

lead of 48

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 6:12 pm

Cook gone Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2022, 6:35 pm

and now the other one

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 20 Jul 2022, 7:20 pm

What a turnaround in the final session, and guildford's new favourite player has eight wickets and counting

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2022, 9:32 pm

thegooch7 wrote:What a turnaround in the final session, and guildford's new favourite player has eight wickets and counting

Worrall certainly wins awards for ''most improved player'' which is a polite way of saying almost everyone - including me - thought he was crap.

Clever containing bowling from Essex well supported in the field all morning and most of the afternoon which suggested a sizeable first innings lead was coming for the visitors. Surrey not helped at that stage by some poor shots leading to dismissals - Pope and Foakes both badly at fault. However, that was before an outstanding innings and rescue act from Jacks. Top quality batting, almost in two parts. Firstly, the careful consolidation to chip away at Essex's lead and take him towards a century. Then, with parity achieved, an absolute blitz on Harmer to take him to 150 and a handy lead of 48.

That lead and Frankie's two wickets put us on top. However, despite Olly's commendable effort in his post before play, I'm not convinced that our current advantage is sufficient to have made today moving day. There have been several significant twists and turns so far and I'm not prepared to rule out others coming along tomorrow!

Finally, a quick bit of praise for Lawes and Roach. Whilst Jacks batted brilliantly, he wouldn't have had the opportunity if those two hadn't stayed and supported him. Sensible patient play and good running from both. Credit again though to Jacks for trusting them - no nonsense about turning down runs as we initially took everything we could and then a lot more.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Jul 2022, 11:37 am

Well Roach had a very adjacent LBW turned down off the first ball of the day to Westley, now Overton has dropped a goober at first slip off Browne. Not an ideal first half hour for Surrey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Jul 2022, 11:59 am

Lawes gets Westley - but then another shocking drop in the slips, this time by Pope off Lawrence, a lovely lifter from Overton. Surrey have really squandered a chance to be massively on top here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 21 Jul 2022, 2:47 pm

Well done Franky....a tenfer

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Jul 2022, 3:29 pm

WTF are we playing at picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Jul 2022, 3:40 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:WTF are we playing at picard

Is Burns alive? Ridiculous captaincy here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Jul 2022, 3:54 pm

161 to win should have been a lot less steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Jul 2022, 4:21 pm

if we get bowled out for just over 120 this will hurt

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Jul 2022, 5:51 pm

This is painful stuff from Patel

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 21 Jul 2022, 6:06 pm

Slow going but we're doing it well.....so far!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Jul 2022, 6:27 pm

Rory Burns mad furious furious furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 21 Jul 2022, 6:42 pm

Amla gone mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 21 Jul 2022, 7:09 pm

2 down at the close, still work to do, 76 needed, but it's ours to lose, we need this as well, looks like Hampshire and Lancashire are both going to win

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Jul 2022, 10:57 am

thegooch7 wrote:2 down at the close, still work to do, 76 needed, but it's ours to lose, we need this as well, looks like Hampshire and Lancashire are both going to win

Exactly as Goochie says - still wok to do but ours to lose now.

This morning (I'm at home) looks a lot better for batting than last night when I was at the ground and it was quite dark and grey.

Neck on the block - Surrey win by 6 wickets.

More about yesterday and generally later.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 22 Jul 2022, 11:50 am

Excellent stuff from Lawes this morning - he looks like he can hold the bat to a decent level
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 22 Jul 2022, 12:25 pm

Woohoo! well done boys, another win without spin!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Fri 22 Jul 2022, 1:03 pm

Congratulations to the lads. Long live their habit of finding a way to win. Well done too to the groundsman for producing a wicket where the teams could have a good game of cricket.

Remarkable that we’re in such a good position yet haven’t beaten either Kent or Gloucestershire in three attempts due to poor cricket wickets.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 22 Jul 2022, 4:38 pm

The bar is open Ale mug guinness cider RedWine Whisky Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down