The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+5
JDizzle
James100
thegooch7
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 24 Jul 2022, 4:04 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A 13-PLAYER SQUAD FOR THE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP FIXTURE WITH WARWICKSHIRE STARTING ON MONDAY 25 JULY.
Jordan Clark returns from injury and Jamie Smith returns from illness.
There is no place in the squad for Ben Geddes, Conor McKerr Daniel Moriarty or Amar Virdi.
Sam Curran, Chris Jordan, Jason Roy and Reece Topley are away with the England team preparing for the international t20 series against South Africa.
There is still no update on Tom Curran. mad mad mad
Full Squad:
Rory Burns (C)
Hashim Amla
Jordan Clark
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Tom Lawes
Jamie Overton
Ryan Patel
Ollie Pope
Kemar Roach
Jamie Smith
Cameron Steel
Dan Worrall
Have to say the lack of any news on Tom Curran and the treatment of Ben Geddes is very poor from the club.
Probably Lawes and Steel to miss out.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2022, 7:17 am

Thanks, JimBob.

Steel must surely miss out. Maybe he'll be joined on the bench by Smith. That would give us 5 front line seamers (plus Patel) which would usually be one too many for me. However, the fuel tanks of those who played in the extreme heat of last week may be low meaning that Clark joins them.

That would (again) be tough on Smith. However, it's tricky to see him playing in the top 6 and number 7 might be considered too low in the order for him without the keeper's gloves. Remember that Jacks batted at 6 in scoring his magnificent 150 not out last week and I would expect him to be there for this match.

Sibley and batsman-keeper Burgess return to the Oval. Possibly a Bear to watch out for though is Hannon-Dalby. Very tall seamer who has gone pretty unnoticed this season in taking over 40 Championship wickets.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Jul 2022, 9:40 am

Steel and Worrall miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Jul 2022, 9:41 am

Surrey win toss and bowl

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 25 Jul 2022, 9:52 am

Cheers jimbob...Smith also misses out, and McKerr plays?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Jul 2022, 9:53 am

Somehow after not being named in the squad mckeer starts

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2022, 9:56 am

At the ground.
McKerr’s inclusion has caught most by surprise. The tannoy announcer said there was just one change from the last match - Clark for Steel. He then read out the team and paused before the final name saying “in a late change, McKerr replacing Worrall”. The latter must have some injury.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2022, 9:58 am

On deciding to bowl, not something I would have done (obviously) but I can understand it. Pleasant enough day but nothing like as hot as last week with plenty of high cloud.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon 25 Jul 2022, 10:13 am

guildfordbat wrote:At the ground.
McKerr’s inclusion has caught most by surprise. The tannoy announcer said there was just one change from the last match - Clark for Steel. He then read out the team and paused before the final name saying “in a late change, McKerr replacing Worrall”. The latter must have some injury.

Shoulder injury from the club's twitter account. I'd certainly have brought Smith in rather than McKerr after Worrall was ruled out.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 25 Jul 2022, 10:28 am

I’m not implying any underhand intent on Hants part - but loaning Brad Wheal to Warks just as they play Hants rivals for the title… the loan system needs some tweaking.

JDizzle

jimbobgooner and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2022, 11:23 am

JDizzle wrote:I’m not implying any underhand intent on Hants part - but loaning Brad Wheal to Warks just as they play Hants rivals for the title… the loan system needs some tweaking.

Or maybe - What goes round comes around!

Surrey loaned Virdi to Somerset to play against possible Championship rivals Lancs (at the time anyway) at Taunton.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm

71/2 at lunch. Honours probably even although Surrey will be the most annoyed having dropped Sibley twice in the slips.

Geek query - McKerr was not on the field for the first 75 minutes. Presumably not at the ground when Worrall dropped out at the last minute. Anyway, McKerr bowled almost as soon as he was out there. Shouldn’t he have had to wait some time before doing so?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2022, 1:35 pm

Overton bowling but clearly in pain. Think he’ll be off soon. He hurt his bowling hand or a finger on it this morning and was off for a while after that. Going to be a significant loss to be without him after Frankie dropped out.

Meanwhile, Sibley doing what Sibley does - accumulating but so slowly. Hain, on the other hand, looking in control and classy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Jul 2022, 2:00 pm

Young Lawes is having an impressive few weeks - a good lifter to get Sibley. Warks 102-3, Surrey keeping a lid on scoring at the moment nicely (especially impressive with the short boundary)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 25 Jul 2022, 2:53 pm

McKerr bowls 3 overs for 30 and lets Warwickshire off the hook

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 25 Jul 2022, 6:10 pm

240-8 at the close, fairly even in my opinion, need to polish it off quickly tomorrow, and see if we can get a lead

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Jul 2022, 10:26 pm

watching the first day back on the stream
I had to put the mute button on within minutes , it has to be some of the dullest commentary I've ever heard Eva Gray and Jeremy Coney the perfect cure for insomnia thumbsdown

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Jul 2022, 8:09 am

A bit frustrating that Warks are still batting at the start of day 2 having been put in. However, they've only got 240 on the board and are 8 down. In my book and taking account of the conditions, that puts us ahead albeit certainly not decisively at this relatively early stage.

I was there yesterday. The wicket's definitely green and maybe offers a bit of help to the seamers but certainly no demons to terrify the batsmen. The outfield's pretty fast as well. All in all, the bowlers generally did well to keep it dry other than a horrible second spell from McKerr. It would have been better had we held all our catches  - strong Championship contenders should be taking nearly all that come their way and not dropping a dolly at slip as Patel did!

Realistically hoping we'll have our visitors all out for under 270. Nothing ever guaranteed of course but they'll need to bowl and field well and we'll have to bat poorly for us not to get a decentish first innings lead if facing that.

Although McKerr finished with 3 wickets - and always nice to get one in the final over of the day -, my pick of the bowlers were Overton and Lawes who both took a deserved couple. Overton hurt his hand fielding in the first session and it looked that might be it for him for the day. He was practising at lunchtime and his delivery hand was clearly causing him pain. That seemed to continue when he bowled early in the middle session but he either shook off the pain or ignored it and kept going with a good mix of steeplers and yorkers. As Olly said, fine and tidy bowling from Lawes too. On or around off stump rarely giving away anything easy. Neat low catch from the ever impressive Foakes for his opening wicket.

I wasn't impressed by Warks. Fair enough - we won the toss, put 'em in and so it was down to us to bowl 'em out but they rarely showed any fight and next to nil adventure. Very Sibleyesque! It was only when Burgess came in that they played a few attacking shots which then rubbed off on Rhodes who had seemed frozen until that point and later in the day McAndrew.

Going again today. Weather looking good for 96.1 overs although I'll be away before the end.  Smile

guildfordbat

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:24 am

last pair in Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:40 am

253 all out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:46 am

jimbobgooner wrote:253 all out
Ideally would have been 2 or 3 overs earlier but certainly settle for that score.

Seven of the Bears’ top 8 reached 22 but no one went beyond 44. That’s poor batting imo.

Good straight ball from Lawes at the end to take out Norwell’s middle stump. Pleased that Burns has appeared to show more confidence in Lawes’ bowling in this match than previously. He sent down 20 overs yesterday and replaced Roach after he had bowled 4 today.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:49 am

guildfordbat wrote:A bit frustrating that Warks are still batting at the start of day 2 having been put in. However, they've only got 240 on the board and are 8 down. In my book and taking account of the conditions, that puts us ahead albeit certainly not decisively at this relatively early stage.

I was there yesterday. The wicket's definitely green and maybe offers a bit of help to the seamers but certainly no demons to terrify the batsmen. The outfield's pretty fast as well. All in all, the bowlers generally did well to keep it dry other than a horrible second spell from McKerr. It would have been better had we held all our catches  - strong Championship contenders should be taking nearly all that come their way and not dropping a dolly at slip as Patel did!

Realistically hoping we'll have our visitors all out for under 270. Nothing ever guaranteed of course but they'll need to bowl and field well and we'll have to bat poorly for us not to get a decentish first innings lead if facing that.

Although McKerr finished with 3 wickets - and always nice to get one in the final over of the day -, my pick of the bowlers were Overton and Lawes who both took a deserved couple. Overton hurt his hand fielding in the first session and it looked that might be it for him for the day. He was practising at lunchtime and his delivery hand was clearly causing him pain. That seemed to continue when he bowled early in the middle session but he either shook off the pain or ignored it and kept going with a good mix of steeplers and yorkers. As Olly said, fine and tidy bowling from Lawes too. On or around off stump rarely giving away anything easy. Neat low catch from the ever impressive Foakes for his opening wicket.

I wasn't impressed by Warks. Fair enough - we won the toss, put 'em in and so it was down to us to bowl 'em out but they rarely showed any fight and next to nil adventure. Very Sibleyesque! It was only when Burgess came in that they played a few attacking shots which then rubbed off on Rhodes who had seemed frozen until that point and later in the day McAndrew.

Going again today. Weather looking good for 96.1 overs although I'll be away before the end.  Smile

Hi guildford Glad you had a competitive day to watch....

What happened with McKerr ? I rather think I must have hexed him in 2018 when I was favourably impressed with his work on a flat Oval pitch...he seems to have regressed over the last few years. Any sign he might still have a future ?

Your fellows look to be in a pretty good spot for the CC title but I won't jinx them by being too confident Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:50 am

Good opening maiden over from Hannon-Dalby to Burns making him play at most deliveries. I expected him to be accurate but he looks quicker than I realised.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:54 am

Patel mad mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 11:08 am

guildfordbat wrote:Good opening maiden over from Hannon-Dalby to Burns making him play at most deliveries. I expected him to be accurate but he looks quicker than I realised.

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Tue 26 Jul 2022, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 11:24 am

Amla Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Jul 2022, 11:25 am

Hi Alfie - good to see you posting at the home of cricket. 😉

McKerr’s had a lot of injury problems since you saw him in 2018. The lot of a fast man, huh?! Particularly his back and more recently, I think, a tendon issue. Seems ok now but hard to find a place for him with signings such as Roach, Worrall (you know of him from Australia? Surprisingly quick and effective), Overton and Clark. None of them will be being paid peanuts - that shouldn’t come into it but probably does! Add to that, bowlers who Surrey have brought through like the Currans when available and now Lawes.

Backing up your early impression, I reliably heard that McKerr was in the early stages of being looked at by England a couple of years ago as an outside bet to cover possible injuries to other quicks such as Archer and Stone. Unfortunately, before anything could really start, McKerr did his back and was out of action for months.

I believe his Surrey contract is up at the end of this season. Until yesterday at least, I thought it likely he wouldn’t get a new one. If he doesn’t, Division 2 counties would probably be interested. He’s had a couple of loan spells with Derbys with some success in the intervening years since we watched him together.

As for the Championship - yes, Surrey are doing well and still winning but not as authoritatively or as consistently as earlier in the season. Meanwhile, Hants are the form team with Ronnie and others regularly doing the business. Going to be between those two sides for the ultimate silverware ….

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Jul 2022, 11:32 am

jimbobgooner wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Good opening maiden over from Hannon-Dalby to Burns making him play at most deliveries. I expected him to be accurate but he looks quicker than I realised.
What has happened to your mate Ronnie?

A 50 and a fourfer in Hants’ win last week. Not sure how it cropped up but Rikkil Clarke was singing Ronnie’s praises as a cricketer (they were together at Warks) and a footballer (Ronnie was on the books at Blackburn) to Church the other day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 11:59 am

Shocking decision for Burns

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 1:36 pm

The ball is keeping really low, we don't want to be chasing a big score on that

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 26 Jul 2022, 2:56 pm

Made a right mess of this reply

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 4:22 pm

mad mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2022, 5:03 pm

3rd and final batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 26 Jul 2022, 5:42 pm

Sensible batting from McKerr and Overton to get us 2 then 3 batting points, and a handy lead, need to bowl well now, don't want to chase too many on this wicket

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Jul 2022, 7:00 pm

I said this morning that I wanted a decentish first innings lead. Well, we just about made it even though I would have liked it to be a bit bigger and getting it a darned sight easier!

guildfordbat

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 26 Jul 2022, 7:42 pm

I will concede this week, that day 3 will be moving day in this game, Guildford!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 27 Jul 2022, 1:01 am

Thanks for the info on McKerr , guildford. Looking at the scorecard perhaps he's out to re-invent himself as an all rounder Smile

You fellows might be in for an interesting second innings scrap this time - good luck : with Somerset well out of it I am on the Surrey bandwagon this year...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Jul 2022, 10:58 am

Jamie O off in his first over - looks a foot issue. Not having much luck this week is he!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Jul 2022, 12:02 pm

Jacks strikes on the stroke of lunch Smile
7 more wkts needed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Jul 2022, 1:22 pm

Game starting to slip away

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 27 Jul 2022, 1:43 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Jamie O off in his first over - looks a foot issue. Not having much luck this week is he!

Blimey! We need his bowling here, and probably his batting

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 27 Jul 2022, 2:09 pm

Brilliant stumping from Foakes....game on

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Wed 27 Jul 2022, 2:40 pm

How many is too many to chase ?

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Jul 2022, 2:54 pm

Voice of the Beehive wrote:How many is too many to chase ?
Anything over 200

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Jul 2022, 2:57 pm

116 lead at tea with 6 wkts remaining

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 27 Jul 2022, 3:25 pm

Warwickshire starting to take control, anything over 250 is going to be a struggle

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Jul 2022, 4:23 pm

If you get to see it check out the throw from Patel's own bowling to Foakes which goes over his head for four.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Jul 2022, 4:45 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:If you get to see it check out the throw from Patel's own bowling to Foakes which goes over his head for four.

Shocked

Not been able to watch today but I've suspected this sort of ''wheels coming off'' day has been on the cards for a little while. Brilliant to turn things round against Yorks and Essex but you can only do that so many times.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Jul 2022, 4:59 pm

Bad light stops play with the lead at 207
What a dreadful day

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 27 Jul 2022, 5:27 pm

Get out of this with a draw tomorrow, can't see Warwickshire giving us anything 'reasonable' to chase

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next