The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022-23 PL season.

+17
Pr4wn
No name Bertie
guildfordbat
superflyweight
RiscaGame
Lowlandbrit
Soul Requiem
NickisBHAFC
GSC
Mind the windows Tino.
westisbest
Riggs
Afro
Oakdene
JDizzle
dummy_half
Duty281
21 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2022-23 PL season.  Empty 2022-23 PL season.

Post by Guest Sat 30 Jul 2022, 7:02 pm

Liverpool won the Community Shield 3-1 over Manchester City at the King Power Stadium.
TAA opened the scoring.
Julian Alvarez scored on his City debut.
Salah scored a penalty after Dias handball.
Darwin Nunez scored late on, also ok debut.

Seems like the media really have to hype up Liverpool for some reason…

Debut to forget for Erling Haaland, largely anonymous. And missed a sitter from 6 yards out late on. Hit the crossbar in fact.

Wild over the top celebrations over a pre season match…genuinely baffling scenes.

Back to top Go down

2022-23 PL season.  Empty Re: 2022-23 PL season.

Post by Duty281 Tue 02 Aug 2022, 10:14 am

My unscientific guesswork of predictions:

1) City; 2) Chelsea; 3) Liverpool; 4) Arsenal; 5) Spurs; 6) Newcastle; 7) West Ham; 8) Manchester Utd; 9) Brighton; 10) Villa; 11) Palace; 12) Leicester; 13) Wolves; 14) Everton; 15) Southampton; 16) Forest; 17) Fulham; 18) Leeds; 19) Brentford; 20) Bournemouth.

Probably the most difficult PL season to predict as the World Cup will tear everything up form and fitness wise, making all predictions pointless. What that in mind:

City should win the league by a comfortable distance. I think Liverpool will struggle a bit more than anticipated with their poor squad depth, the loss of Mane and a number of key players starting to show their age. Chelsea will rebound after a rubbish season last year blighted by injuries and the off-the-pitch upheaval. Arsenal and Spurs battle for 4th should be tight - Arsenal were two points and one decent goalscorer short of 4th last year, and I think they've made the necessary improvements to make the extra step. Spurs are hugely reliant on Kane and Son staying fit.

The only other team outside of those I can see challenging for top four is Newcastle, and that requires making additions in August and January because they're not there yet. West Ham/United/Brighton don't have the quality.

Villa/Palace/Leicester/Wolves/Everton should all have dull seasons. Won't be worrying about relegation, but nowhere near the European places. Lampard should be dispensed with early on, and it's probably Rodgers' last season with Leicester as well.

Any from Southampton downwards could get relegated, there's not a lot of difference between them, with the exception of Bournemouth who look well off the PL level and are certainties to go down.

Bets I like - 8/13 City to win the league. 6/4 Arsenal making the top four. 8/11 Chelsea make the top four. 12/5 Brentford go down.  And a 12/1 nibble on Jesus getting the Golden Boot.

Plus an 18/1 punt on Howe being the first manager to get sacked. I was wrong about him last season, but Newcastle have a tricky opening to the season - away to Brighton, home to City and away to Liverpool and West Ham in the first 7 games - and a poor start could give the dodgy regime all the encouragement they need to bring in a more fashionable manager.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 02 Aug 2022, 11:36 am

Howe might not be the first manager to go, but he definitely feels a bit like a stop-gap to see Newcastle through the takeover rather than someone that would be expected to push them on towards CL places and chasing the title. A bit like Mark Hughes was at City. 18/1 definitely looks like good value odds, although I can see Leeds potentially being the first to sack the boss this year.

I think you have Man U a group too low, and they will be up there with Arsenal and Spurs (plus possibly Newcastle) chasing the 4th CL place, although I think they'll probably miss out..

Otherwise, i think you've generally got the groupings OK - I think you can basically juggle the order of everyone from West Ham to Everton any way you want, as it will only come down to a handful of points, and one of the teams you have int he bottom 6 will have a better year than expected and get mixed in with the group above (I hope it will be Leeds, but with selling Phillips and Raphinha and not replacing with as good quality, a lot will depend on the form of Bamford after missing most of last season injured).

Of course there's always a risk of saying a team are certainties to go down - a couple of early wins and confidence go a long way, especially for a newly promoted team who have had something of a winning habit from the previous season.

The big interruption in November / December is definitely going to make for an unusual season - an extra 3-6 games for the international players could make it difficult for teams to challenge for the league and CL (I can see the FA Cup being even more a competition between PL second teams this year).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 02 Aug 2022, 12:39 pm

I think United have had a very poor summer, again. The squad has got, if anything, worse not better since last season. Martinez is a good signing, but it looks like he'll be paired with Maguire and not Varane for the most part. They needed a quality 9 and a quality central defensive midfielder, but have signed neither so far. They also have the added irritation of Europa League football, Thursday-Sunday, where they'll probably go quite far, to contend with.

They were 13 points off fourth last time and I don't see them closing the gap. Think it's more likely they'll be a bottom half team than a top four team.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 02 Aug 2022, 2:21 pm

Man U on paper are still a pretty decent team though - last year they under-performed badly considering it was pretty well the same team that finished (a distant) second the year before. While the playing squad may not have improved in ability, they will hope that the new manager can improve things both tactically and with regards to team cohesion, which, rumor has it, was not exactly a strength last year (I do like understating things). OK, they aren't close to challenging City and Liverpool, but there are flaws in all the teams below that.

Your point about the Europa league has merit, but last year's top 4 are similarly hamstrung by their Champions League commitments, and I can only really see Man City as having the squad depth to get through that without compromising something.

I do though want to see West Ham and Brighton continue to over-achieve: I think at present they are the two best teams in the league when considering what they achieve compared with their resources and 'on paper' ability. Of course City are the best overall, but with near-unlimited resources it's not a fair fight.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 02 Aug 2022, 10:12 pm

I see where you're coming from, but I think United over-achieved when they finished second, and 6th was a more realistic reflection of where they are. I like Ten Hag as a manager, but it'll be quite a shift for him coming from a dominant side in the Netherlands expected to win the majority of games, to an upper mid-table side in the Premier League, where he's never managed before.

I agree about West Ham and Brighton. I think Potter's the best manager in the league, and Moyes isn't far behind. If Potter weren't English then a Chelsea/Tottenham would have probably taken a punt on him by now, but his nationality will hold him back in, ironically enough, his own country.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2022, 1:42 am

I don’t see much hope for Manchester United tbh. Their midfield is atrocious and they’ve wasted all summer stalking Frenkie de Jong yet the season is about to begin, yet the Dutchman is nowhere near being signed. Factor in Pogba and Matic both left, yet they think de Jong is the saviour.
Throw in CR7 reportedly wanting out. That other guy, I will not name, #11 seems unlikely to play again.
They just seem massively short on quality is many positions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Aug 2022, 5:11 pm

I like Cucurella as a player...but £60 million?! Chelsea are spending the cash this summer like someone who did the old £500 million cheat on LMA Manager, and Brighton are becoming seriously minted with all of these sales.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 05 Aug 2022, 5:52 pm

Duty281 wrote:I like Cucurella as a player...but £60 million?! Chelsea are spending the cash this summer like someone who did the old £500 million cheat on LMA Manager, and Brighton are becoming seriously minted with all of these sales.

It was clear Brighton didn't want to sell, but there's a price that will get anyone, and Chelsea were willing to stretch things. I wonder if the long contract (6 years) indicates that it's one of these long term staged payments rather than mostly up front. Quite why Chelsea saw a need to spend so much on a left back / left centre back when they are short up front is a different question. Perhaps concern that Chilwell won't be able to come back to his best after last year's injury?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 05 Aug 2022, 6:52 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I like Cucurella as a player...but £60 million?! Chelsea are spending the cash this summer like someone who did the old £500 million cheat on LMA Manager, and Brighton are becoming seriously minted with all of these sales.

It was clear Brighton didn't want to sell, but there's a price that will get anyone, and Chelsea were willing to stretch things. I wonder if the long contract (6 years) indicates that it's one of these long term staged payments rather than mostly up front. Quite why Chelsea saw a need to spend so much on a left back  / left centre back when they are short up front is a different question. Perhaps concern that Chilwell won't be able to come back to his best after last year's injury?

Chelsea are short on quality up front, not bodies. Can’t see anyone coming in till Werner and/or Ziyech are off the wage bill. Would imagine Cucurella starts the season at LWB whilst Chilwell eases back and then plays plenty at LCB. Alonso will now be off to Barca to make some of that £60m back too.

In Sterling and Cucurella they have got two proven players in the PL at least. You pay for that security, but whilst they have no recruitment structure in place it seems safer.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2022, 10:07 pm

Crystal Palace 0-2 Arsenal. The Gunners put in a really solid opening night performance. William Saliba masterclass in defence, this guy is player. Martinelli and an OG the goals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Aug 2022, 1:04 pm

New season but the same old Trent AA who can't defend.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Aug 2022, 2:33 pm

Fulham 2-2 Liverpool. Great performance by the Cottagers, Mitrovic bagging couple. Nunez and Salah saving Liverpool’s bacon on this occasion. Liverpool weak in the midfield area and the absence of Mane was clearly evident.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Aug 2022, 4:54 pm

Tottenham 4-1 Southampton. Conte’s Spurs could be a threat this season.
Leeds 2-1 Wolverhampton. Surprise result for my money, thought Wolves would won easily tbh.
Newcastle 2-0 Nottingham Forest. Newcastle far too good

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Aug 2022, 5:31 pm

Bournemouth also beat Villa 2-0, great start for Bournemouth.

Kieffer Moore scored Bournemouth's second. His rags to riches story is starting to rival Vardy's. Moore was playing for Paignton Saints in the South Devon League Division Two 11 years ago (tier 14 of English football); this year he's scoring in the Premier League and will likely be playing for his country at a World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Aug 2022, 7:02 pm

Duty281 wrote:Bournemouth also beat Villa 2-0, great start for Bournemouth.

Kieffer Moore scored Bournemouth's second. His rags to riches story is starting to rival Vardy's. Moore was playing for Paignton Saints in the South Devon League Division Two 11 years ago (tier 14 of English football); this year he's scoring in the Premier League and will likely be playing for his country at a World Cup.
Yeah sorry missed that one

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Aug 2022, 7:40 pm

Everton 0-1 Chelsea. A Jorginho penalty wins it for the Londoners but unless they sign a top striker, they won’t be winning any trophies. Terrible to watch.
Everton’s Ben Godfrey seemed to suffer a severe leg injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2022, 3:01 pm

Brighton humbling Manchester United at Old Trafford. 2-0 to the Seagulls at half time.
Funny how I read EtH could work miracles...you can’t repackage garbage(Maguire, Fernándes, McFred etc) and hope to be a good side.
Graham Potter is a brilliant manager.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 07 Aug 2022, 3:54 pm

United needed a big clear out over the summer, it didn't happen. Laughable that they're continuing with McTominay and Fred who shouldn't be on the bench in any side chasing top four, never mind starting. They were both horrific today. Then there's the other dross like Maguire, Dalot, Rashford etc. Also a concern for United is Ten Hag has had all summer with this side, but they looked disjointed and unfamiliar as a unit, especially in defence. No top four for United this year, they might even struggle to make 8th.

Potter is exceptional. If Brighton had managed to sign Jesus over the summer, he'd have them in contention for top four. Such an intelligent and well coached side.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2022, 6:32 pm

West Ham 0-2 Manchester City - Erling Haaland up and running in English football. City looked a bit disjointed at times but it’s 3pts.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 08 Aug 2022, 8:48 am

OK, judging anything off the first game is dangerous, but looks like Duty's take on Man U could be closer than mine, unless they can get a couple of good players (including de Jong) before the end of the transfer window.

Good starts for Fulham, Bournemouth and Leeds, poor for Southampton.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 08 Aug 2022, 11:19 am

Duty281 wrote:United needed a big clear out over the summer, it didn't happen. Laughable that they're continuing with McTominay and Fred who shouldn't be on the bench in any side chasing top four, never mind starting. They were both horrific today. Then there's the other dross like Maguire, Dalot, Rashford etc. Also a concern for United is Ten Hag has had all summer with this side, but they looked disjointed and unfamiliar as a unit, especially in defence. No top four for United this year, they might even struggle to make 8th.

Potter is exceptional. If Brighton had managed to sign Jesus over the summer, he'd have them in contention for top four. Such an intelligent and well coached side.

United looked leggy & tired, almost as if they've pranced half way round the world to play friendlies.

Oakdene

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2022, 10:19 am

Seems like Manchester United are in the full on panic mode following the woeful display against Brighton.
They are closing in on deals for Adrien Rabiot and Marko Arnautovic...
Are are back in 2018 again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 09 Aug 2022, 12:10 pm

Lolz, all summer chasing De Jong, they're going to end up with Rabiot. And Arnautovic? A 10-15 goal striker at best.

Ten Hag is probably realising now what an absolute car crash he's walked into.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Tue 09 Aug 2022, 12:14 pm

Happy with the Coady signing, and the signings of Onana and Gueye that appear imminent.

For a nice change, it is clear that a plan is in place, where they have looked at our problems and tried to deal with them. Whether the players brought in do the job is always one for time to tell, but at least the plan is clear.

Most supporters would have said the areas to address:
1) A winger to replace Richarlison (McNeil)
2) Injury prone CBs and a lack of leadership (Tarkowski and Coady)
3) Lack of mobility in the middle of the park (Gana and Onana)
4) A striker to cover for DCL (needs addressing still)

Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 09 Aug 2022, 5:05 pm

If Everton, as rumoured, get Billy Gilmour too - I think he’d compliment Gueuye and Onana perfectly.

The best business Boehly has done so far is clearing Chelsea’s wage bill. Lukaku (for one year), Werner, Alonso, Sarr - potentially Ziyech too, as well Rudiger, Christensen and Drinkwater. That is well over £1m a week saved or to go towards incomings.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2022, 5:32 pm

Arnautovic to Manchester United is off. His previous controversial behaviour cited.

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Wed 10 Aug 2022, 9:31 am

Utd lost because the defence simply wasn't good enough. Once again, Harry didn't help. Ofcourse luck was involved but taking your chances is what Brighton did. Utd should've thrashed them something aweful but they didn't, their loss.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2022, 6:08 pm

Brentford running riot against the hapless Manchester United.
David de Gea once again showing how pathetic he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Sat 13 Aug 2022, 6:59 pm

4 nil down and their 2nd game into the season, lets give them a chance....around 10 games in and then, perhaps, give a constructive-critical analysis.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2022, 7:01 pm

You're delusional
Manchester United are finished. Just a historical name.
Maguire
De Gea
Fred
Shaw
Rashford
Fernándes

Embarrassment to the club’s shirt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 13 Aug 2022, 7:30 pm

It's a monumental crisis brewing at United, it's been in the offing for the last couple of years. Wouldn't be surprised if Ten Hag ends up doing what Clough did at Leeds. Beaten out of sight by Brentford in the first half. Shocking. There's clear division in the side and near-enough everyone in the squad currently looks out of form and/or completely downbeat.

United could genuinely be in a relegation battle. Liverpool next, then away to Southampton and Leicester, before a home game to Arsenal. Could be just 3/4 points from the first six games. Maybe even less.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2022, 7:31 pm

Brentford 4-0 and didn’t need to try in the second half. If it wasn’t mid 30s, I’d guess Brentford could win this by 6 or 7.

ten Hag could be gone by next week

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 14 Aug 2022, 6:52 pm

Quite amusing seeing the two managers going at in at the final whistle.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Aug 2022, 7:51 pm

Another dismal refereeing performance. No point to VAR in the PL. Clear red for Romero not given, then Tottenham score from the corner, costing Chelsea two points.

Conte and Tuchel should receive long bans for their embarrassing behaviour, but the FA don't respect themselves and they don't respect the game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 14 Aug 2022, 9:06 pm

Havertz was blatantly fouled before the first goal - can’t blame VAR for that, but it was an awful call by Taylor and the assistant. The Romero thing was just ridiculous…

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2022, 9:37 pm

Got no issues with Tuchel and Conte going at it. Both seemed ok afterwards in the interviews. Little bit of character never hurt anyone.

VAR is atrocious in the PL. How on earth can you pull someone’s hair and VAR looks at it and say it’s ok. Truly pathetic.

I’ve seen a amateur match back home in Italy, some moron pulled another man’s hair. Let’s just say he was lucky to still have his teeth after the beating he took…

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 15 Aug 2022, 12:52 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Got no issues with Tuchel and Conte going at it. Both seemed ok afterwards in the interviews. Little bit of character never hurt anyone.

VAR is atrocious in the PL. How on earth can you pull someone’s hair and VAR looks at it and say it’s ok. Truly pathetic.

I’ve seen a amateur match back home in Italy, some moron pulled another man’s hair. Let’s just say he was lucky to still have his teeth after the beating he took…

The problem is not technology, it's that the idiots watching the replays don't want to use it correctly and get rid of the controversial decisions. Works much better in the international game and in other leagues.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Aug 2022, 12:55 pm

JDizzle wrote:Havertz was blatantly fouled before the first goal - can’t blame VAR for that, but it was an awful call by Taylor and the assistant. The Romero thing was just ridiculous…

I do think VAR should have pulled it back for that, but also Richarlison looked like he was obstructing the keeper's line of sight for the same goal.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2022, 7:10 pm

Just saw that it Mike Dean whom was the incompetent VAR official...how’s this idiot still employed by the FA?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2022, 10:54 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Crystal Palace - Liverpool dominated the first half but wasteful. Zaha scored a beautiful goal against the run off play.
Darwin Nunez straight red card for a head butt - this guy is just Andy Carroll with a cool name.
Luis Diaz saved Liverpool will a fantastic individual goal.

Liverpool midfield is mediocre when a donkey like Milner still gets game time.

Update:
Nunez actually heat butted the Palace player twice in two different incidents. Three match ban confirmed but this should be a 6-7 game ban got such scummy behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 16 Aug 2022, 11:25 am

The 90 second video doing the rounds on social media of Anderson winding up Nunez for the whole game is 10/10 content. I will rewatch a lot.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Aug 2022, 8:58 pm

Rabiot has somehow managed to price himself out of a move to Manchester United. That's an amazing accomplishment.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

Elon Musk trolling Manchester United fans by saying he was buying the club but subsequently announced he was joking. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Aug 2022, 7:54 pm

Sir Jim Radcliffe looks like he’s making his move for Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Wed 17 Aug 2022, 9:11 pm

Apparently, a minority stake sale could be looming. If this happens, could it lead to Jim buying more of Utd?

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Thu 18 Aug 2022, 9:51 am

According to a YT channel "Man Utd The Religion" spoke to Michael Knighton who predicts the current owners will be gone by the end of the season.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

Jim Radcliffe wants a minority stake with the proviso that the Glazers sell up entirely within 18-24 months.
Seems like the Glazers tenure is finally coming to its end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 18 Aug 2022, 12:14 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:
Seems like the Glazers tenure is finally coming to its end.

Maybe, but not quickly. The business is so poorly run there is no chance Radcliffe buys a minority stake unless he has clear guarantees he is given an opportunity to buy the whole club as the sole bidder somewhere down the line. Their revenue to wages ratio is poor (certainly when compared to other top clubs who are currently outperforming them on the pitch), their capital allocation is shocking and the sporting operation is as bad as its been in the 17 years since the Glazers took over. Probably more chance of Apollo or some other private equity firm taking a small stake with one eye on turning a buck if the Glazers sell.

Someone is still going to have to make the Glazers a massive offer for the club though. They will look at Chelsea and the value of that sale and clearly be looking for more. I don't follow a pro club so this isn't a statement based on emotion, but Utd are clearly a 'bigger' club, certainly commercially, than Chelsea and the Glazers will have that sale as a stop loss level at least. Like almost all leveraged buyouts, it is the servicing and repayment of debt that is the biggest issue, not what the Glazers have taken out personally. Whatever the Glazers equity stake is ($1bn? $1.5bn? I really don't know) they are going be looking for a huge return on that and the Chelsea sale has given potential buyers a base line at least of what could potentially at least get the Glazers to the table.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2022, 12:35 am

Looks like Manchester United are finally set to sign a midfielder. Real Madrid’s Casemiro looks set to join for €60m + €10m. This guy is a fantastic player.
And it’s worth nothing when Casemiro and Fred play together for Brazil, Fred is an absolute baller.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next