The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

5 posters

Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:40 pm

Surrey have named a 14 man squad for the LV= county championship game against Somerset at Taunton starting on Tuesday 25th July.
Conor McKerr returns to the squad after his spell at Derbyshire finished.
Ben Geddes has joined Kent on a one match loan.
Sean Abbott has ended his stint at Surrey early after being withdrawn by Cricket Australia to manage workloads ahead of any future selection for the national team. Sad
Tom Latham will play his final game for the club.
Dan Moriarty will play his last game for Yorkshire tomorrow so misses out as well.
Sam Curran still not available mad  
Full Squad:
Burns (c)
Atkinson
Clark
Foakes
Jacks
Latham
Lawes
McKerr
Overton
Patel
Sibley
Smith
Steel
Worrall
Getting sick and tired of the club keeping us in the dark over Curran, can't believe he doesn't want to play red ball cricket anymore so an explanation would be nice.
Gutted to see Abbott have to miss out on his final game for us Australia wasn't winning the ashes enough. Rolling Eyes
Should be straight forward for this one Atkinson in for Abbott the only change from Middlesex.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:19 pm

Thanks, JimBob.

Agree with your comments and the likely XI.

After tomorrow, the forecast doesn't look pretty for this one. May be a case of grabbing every bonus point going for a winning draw.

Good for Geddes to go on a short loan and get a Championship game under his belt this season.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:40 am

Team as predicted
Somerset win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:45 am

Lawes is on fire SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 1f525

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:12 am

Sam Curran bowling on the outfield at lunch WTF is going on

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:30 am

170 all out Very Happy clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:00 am

Burns already gone. Two 50s in his last 19 innings!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:15 pm

Pretty good first day that - nice knock from Latham, timely. Hope the forecast improves!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:28 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Pretty good first day that - nice knock from Latham, timely. Hope the forecast improves!

Was out all day and unable to watch but, yeah, Olly seems on the money. We need the forecast to improve if we are to win which now looks more necessary with title rivals Essex on top away to Hants and the game advanced. The game at Edgbaston is mightily advanced and although fellow title rivals Warks are significantly behind atm, there's still the worry that Middlesex will blow it there.

Just from a look at the old scoreboard and cricinfo - surprised that Jacks was given a bowl after just 12 overs and stayed on with wickets continuing to fall to seam at the other end.

Cricinfo's report refers to Foakes being ''immaculate'' behind the stumps and he did take 4 catches. However, another poor effort from him in front of the stumps - since his ton at Canterbury 4 matches ago, he's struggled to do what's been needed with the bat. Generally, low to lowish scores, failing to go on and too slow. Gone for 8 off 26 yesterday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:56 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Pretty good first day that - nice knock from Latham, timely. Hope the forecast improves!

He’s doing it deliberately to spite me. Why pick now to score a run in seam friendly conditions for the first time?!

JDizzle

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:57 am

JDizzle wrote:

He’s doing it deliberately to spite me. Why pick now to score a run in seam friendly conditions for the first time?!

Haha that thought had crossed my mind - maybe Latham is actually KP_Fan and has been noting your posts? Very Happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

JDizzle and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:05 am

Ha! I've also voiced concerns about Latham but one definite positive is his slip catching. Absolutely top notch.

As mentioned the other day and if not seen already, his take following Jacks's double parry in the Middlesex match is something else.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:32 am

Shame neither Latham or Jacks made a century, but great work by both and some good lower order biffing to get Surrey over 350 and into a commanding lead of 198 on first innings scores.

Looks like the rain is set in for the rest of today, but forecast has improved a bit for tomorrow and Friday. That is of course, if the Taunton covers don't "mysteriously" roll off the pitch again against Surrey.... Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:00 pm

Another good performance by Surrey giving us a first innings lead of almost 200 and 6 bonus points for JimBob.

Important though that the weather and, as Olly says, the covers behave over the remaining two days with Essex well on the way to beating Hants and Middlesex, despite a great start, threatening to implode against Warks.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:04 am

The LBW to get Bartlett is one of the worst decisions I have ever seen from an umpire at any standard
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:14 am

Troughton on comms reveals Curran has a shoulder injury
Why the club can't just announce that beggars belief Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:36 am

The bar will be opening shortly Very Happy or maybe not Rolling Eyes

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:38 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:The LBW to get Bartlett is one of the worst decisions I have ever seen from an umpire at any standard

Thanks, Olly. I'm looking forward to watching that later. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:45 am

jimbobgooner wrote:The bar will be opening shortly Very Happy

Get one of the speedsters to hurl it down to Bashir.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:08 pm

This is now looking like one hell of a jinx, JimBob! mad

Maybe an oppoertunity for Burns to get a pair? Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:22 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

This is now looking like one hell of a jinx, JimBob! mad

Maybe an oppoertunity for Burns to get a pair? Shocked
Sorry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:39 pm

29 to win Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:13 pm

scores are level SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 1f631

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:16 pm

Finally the bar is open Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Ale mug cider guinness RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Finally! But we did it and in 3 days so don't need to worry about tomorrow's weather.

A frustrating 10th wicket stand between COve and Bashir but still a good and successful seam bowling effort by Surrey. All 5 seamers took at least one wicket in each innings and all ended with between 3 and 5 in the match. I prefer it when everyone contributes rather than us having to depend on one or two stand out individuals.

In case you didn't know, JimBob, you can probably watch online your lad Geddes on loan to Kent batting to save the game against Notts tomorrow. He made 36 first dig.

Also, Surrey are away to Suffolk on Sunday in a one dayer as a warm up for the RL50 tournament. Expect several known squad players to feature.

Now for those drinks ... Very Happy

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down