The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024

+37
Poorfour
king_carlos
Oakdene
Highland Shaun
EWT Spoons
Hazel Sapling
Rugby Fan
alive555
neilthom7
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
RiscaGame
Galted
TJ
EST
TAFKA The Oracle
Mcsweens
Geordie
No 7&1/2
TheMildlyFranticLlama
lostinwales
Heaf
Duty281
Heuer27
Old Man
Collapse2005
NeilyBroon
CaptainHaddock
tigertattie
Tramptastic
sensisball
bsando
RDW
jimbopip
BigGee
George Carlin
41 posters

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024 - Page 12 Empty Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024

Post by George Carlin Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Tonga
Sunday, September 24
Stade de Nice - 4.45pm kick-off.

Scotland v Romania
Saturday, September 30
Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Lille - 8pm kick-off

Scotland v Paddy Cousins
Saturday, October 7
Stade de France - 8pm kick-off

The 20 teams are divided into four groups as follows:

Pool A – New Zealand, France, Italy, Uruguay, Namibia

Pool B – South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Tonga, Romania

Pool C – Wales, Australia, Fiji, Georgia, Portugal

Pool D – England, Japan, Argentina, Samoa, Chile

The top two teams from each pool advance to the quarter-finals. The teams who finish third secure automatic qualification for the 2027 World Cup, which is scheduled to take place in Australia in 2027.

The quarter-final draw is as follows:

QF1 – Pool C winner v Pool D runner-up

QF 2 – Pool B winner v Pool A runner-up

QF 3 – Pool D winner v Pool C runner-up

QF 4 – Pool A winner v Pool B runner-up

That means if Scotland manage to progress from the group stages they would be likely to face New Zealand or France in the quarter-finals if results go as expected.

The semi-final draw is as follows:

Winner of QF 1 v Winner of QF2

Winner of QF 3 v Winner of QF 4

The 2023 Rugby World Cup final takes place on Saturday, October 28, at the Stade de France, kick-off 8pm.

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024 - Page 12 Empty Re: Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024

Post by bsando Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:04 pm

BigGee wrote:
bsando wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:The blues posted a video this morning of Cole Forbes running about a bit in training, with a wee Saltire next to his name.  We do need another FB in the squad...

Shame he got homesick because he was a great player. Sure he'll do well at Blues in that sunnier Auckland weather.

Apparently that was nonsense

He went back because Glasgow did not offer him a decent contract.

I suspect that ship has sailed.

Where did you get that info Gee? That’s a shame to hear. I suppose these calls are difficult to make but he should have been on similar money to Ollie Smith I’d have thought. Both bright young players.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024 - Page 12 Empty Re: Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:17 am

bsando wrote:
BigGee wrote:
bsando wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:The blues posted a video this morning of Cole Forbes running about a bit in training, with a wee Saltire next to his name.  We do need another FB in the squad...

Shame he got homesick because he was a great player. Sure he'll do well at Blues in that sunnier Auckland weather.

Apparently that was nonsense

He went back because Glasgow did not offer him a decent contract.

I suspect that ship has sailed.

Where did you get that info Gee? That’s a shame to hear. I suppose these calls are difficult to make but he should have been on similar money to Ollie Smith I’d have thought. Both bright young players.

It was on one of the forums, this one or the Glasgow Warriors one. Someone had bumped into him in a pub before he went back, got chatting to him and got the story.

He would have been on pretty badic money when hd first came over and was clearly looking for a rise. He had also dropped out of favour a bit and was not getting picked as a starter any more by Franco. He was not to impressed at being offerred journeymens money any more and so decided to walk.

Probably best for both parties, as I am not sure he would have played a lot more this season either with McKay showing his true form and Rowe being class as well.

He would have been behind them, Steyn Seba and Ollie Smith prior to his injury.

There is also the other Argentinian wing, Cordera, who we have seen very little of, but is apparently fit for action now.

So in truth if was probably a reasonable call by Franco, though tough ln Cole Forbes, who was certainly a decent player and had some really good games for us.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:20 am

It is funny how in the age of social media the truth often still comes out from, "bloke down the pub just speaking his mind", in rugby.

Similar happened with Harry Potter. The rock solid Aussie raised but EQP wing at Tigers who returned to Super Rugby. There were lots of conspiracy theories that he'd been promised an opportunity with Oz that wasn't forthcoming. "Cruel and manipulative Eddie Jones tricks another kid", type talk. I've heard from several who spoke to Potter and his housemate Guy Porter it sounds like Potter just wanted to be back home in the sun though. When asked about he was completely forthcoming too. He enjoyed his time at Tigers but didn't foresee many England caps, as a starting club wing just below that international standard, the difference in wages between the Prem (in it's current state) and Super Rugby (in their consistent state) wasn't that significant.

king_carlos

lostinwales, bsando and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:38 am

Very little transparency in rugby union regarding decision making and the fans. Not that fans need to know every little detail but part of growing the game would be to open up a little when it comes to the players.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:46 am

bsando wrote:Very little transparency in rugby union regarding decision making and the fans. Not that fans need to know every little detail but part of growing the game would be to open up a little when it comes to the players.

Ah, but the speculation about it and the intrigue is all part if the fun.

If everything were transparent there would be no need for internet rugby forums and then what would we do with our time.

It does not bear thinking about Very Happy

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:48 am

It would also be good if they could crack on with this squad announcement and give us something real to get our teeth into!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

king_carlos and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:10 pm

BigGee wrote:
bsando wrote:Very little transparency in rugby union regarding decision making and the fans. Not that fans need to know every little detail but part of growing the game would be to open up a little when it comes to the players.

If everything were transparent there would be no need for internet rugby forums and then what would we do with our time.

If you want an example of how sports fans will create discussion from literally anything, regardless of quality, then read the recent England thread. It's a f***ing disaster. I hadn't posted in the new one as it wasn't in the "MyPosts" tab so I missed it. I put a spiel in there when Mako retired so it's now in that tab and I generally open all the stuff with new posts when I have a minute. Just how I've used this site for years. In about a week that habit has been changed through basically aversion therapy from accidentally opening it and reading the contents. It's like the Monty Python argument clinic sketch in real life. I imagine you'd get remarkably similar from asking folk with late stage dementia to run an improv show at the fringe. It makes me wish I'd never watched rugby.

king_carlos

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:12 pm

king_carlos wrote:
BigGee wrote:

If you want an example of how sports fans will create discussion from literally anything, regardless of quality, then read the recent England thread. It's a f***ing disaster. I hadn't posted in the new one as it wasn't in the "MyPosts" tab so I missed it. I put a spiel in there when Mako retired so it's now in that tab and I generally open all the stuff with new posts when I have a minute. Just how I've used this site for years. In about a week that habit has been changed through basically aversion therapy from accidentally opening it and reading the contents. It's like the Monty Python argument clinic sketch in real life. I imagine you'd get remarkably similar from asking folk with late stage dementia to run an improv show at the fringe. It makes me wish I'd never watched rugby.

No it isn't.

jimbopip

king_carlos, lostinwales and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:03 pm

Here we go :

Scotland squad for the 2024 Guinness Six Nations (caps in brackets):

Forwards

Ewan Ashman – Edinburgh Rugby (12)
Josh Bayliss – Bath Rugby (5)
Jamie Bhatti – Glasgow Warriors (34)
Andy Christie – Saracens (4)
Luke Crosbie – Edinburgh Rugby (7)
Scott Cummings – Glasgow Warriors (33)
Jack Dempsey – Glasgow Warriors (15)
Rory Darge – Glasgow Warriors (15)
Grant Gilchrist – Edinburgh Rugby (68)
Richie Gray – Glasgow Warriors (78)
Matt Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors (40)
Zander Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors (62)
Alec Hepburn – Exeter Chiefs (uncapped)
Will Hurd – Leicester Tigers (uncapped)
Johnny Matthews – Glasgow Warriors (1)
WP Nel – Edinburgh Rugby (61)
Jamie Ritchie – Edinburgh Rugby (46)
Pierre Schoeman – Edinburgh Rugby (26)
Sam Skinner – Edinburgh Rugby (30)
George Turner – Glasgow Warriors (40)
Glen Young – Edinburgh Rugby (3)

Backs

Adam Hastings – Gloucester Rugby (27)
Ben Healy – Edinburgh Rugby (4)
George Horne – Glasgow Warriors (26)
Darcy Graham – Edinburgh Rugby (39)
Rory Hutchinson – Northampton Saints (8)
Huw Jones – Glasgow Warriors (43)
Blair Kinghorn – Toulouse (50)
Stafford McDowall – Glasgow Warriors (1)
Harry Paterson – Edinburgh Rugby (uncapped)
Ali Price – Edinburgh Rugby (66)
Cameron Redpath – Bath Rugby (9)
Arron Reed – Sale Sharks (uncapped)
Kyle Rowe – Glasgow Warriors (1)
Finn Russell – Bath Rugby (75)
Kyle Steyn – Glasgow Warriors (15)
Sione Tuipulotu – Glasgow Warriors (22)
Duhan van der Merwe – Edinburgh Rugby (34)
Ben White – Toulon (18)

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:06 pm

Well not many surprises other than harry Paterson which I think is more testament to how short we are at FB!

Same goes for ec Hepburn. Do you think he went by Alex before this announcement?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:09 pm

After waiting patiently for this announcement for the past couple of hours, I got caught up in the LRZ blockbuster and missed it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:10 pm

Broken into position

LH: Bhatti, Hepburn, Schoeman
HK: Ashman, Matthews, Turner
TH: Z Fagerson, Hurd, Nel
LK: Cummings, Gilchrist, R Gray, Skinner, Young
BR: Bayliss, Christie, Crosbie, Darge, Dempsey, M Fagerson, Ritchie

SH: Horne, Price, White
FH: Hastings, Healy, Russell
Centre: Hutchinson, Jones, McDowall, Redpath, Tuipulotu
Back three: Graham, Kinghorn, VDM, Patterson, Reed, Rowe, Steyn

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:13 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Broken into position

LH: Bhatti, Hepburn, Schoeman
HK: Ashman, Matthews, Turner
TH: Z Fagerson, Hurd, Nel
LK: Cummings, Gilchrist, R Gray, Skinner, Young
BR: Bayliss, Christie, Darge, Dempsey, M Fagerson, Ritchie

SH: Horne, Price, White
FH: Hastings, Healy, Russell
Centre: Hutchinson, Jones, McDowall, Redpath, Tuipulotu
Back three: Graham, Kinghorn, VDM, Patterson, Reed, Rowe, Steyn

Discuss Scotland - The Generic Moaning Thread 2024 - Page 12 1347041234

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:19 pm

Took Hepburn over Sutherland. Can see why with Hepburn an experienced hand at Exeter. Solid third choice if Sutherland is crocked.

Surprised to see Hurd over McCallum. Only ever started twice for Leicester outside of the Premiership Cup where you play the youth. Then again, McCallum (and Rae) were never rated highly by their coaches in Scotland.

Think Patterson will be there to hold tackle bags and get some experience. Reed and Hutchinson will have a tough time breaking into the 23 but may be shouts for the Italy game.

Young can consider himself lucky. He carries and tackles with less power than Gilchrist. Would have rathered McDonald. If J Gray gets back his fitness, I assume he will replace Young in the squad for the England game

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:21 pm

Good to see Hutch back in the mix, though he nay struggle to get any game time once again.

Harry Patterson has looked half decent in his run outs for Edinburgh this sesson, but is surely there just for the experience.

Alex Hepburn - well I dont think anyone saw that one coming. A good steady club LH that no one really tslking up as an international before and he gas been picked over Rory Sutherland (is he injured?)

It will be interesting to see if Roebuck or Warr are in the England squad when that comes out.

All in all though, it is a pretty settled squad. Scotland have got some transformation to do going gorward, but it does not seem to be happening this 6N.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:26 pm

Hepburn has actually got 6 caps for England, I did not realise that. Last capped in 2018

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:39 pm

No Harris or Watson either, that had slipped bt me initaily as well.

So naybe a few subtle changes to the squad makeup that will continue over the bext few squad announcements

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:48 pm

So glad Hutch has finally been rewarded for his excellent form because I feared he'd miss out once again.

Also, would you guys play Reed, Hepburn and Hurd against Italy just so that their officially tied down because I certainly would :P?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:57 pm

Squad announcement says a captain still to be named. I assume that means Ritchie is being replaced as captain. My assumption would be Finn. Relationships between him and Toonie have seemingly been repaired and he is probably the obvious choice.

Or it'll still be Ritchie and they are adding drama for the hell of it

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:57 pm

Highland Shaun wrote:So glad Hutch has finally been rewarded for his excellent form because I feared he'd miss out once again.

Also, would you guys play Reed, Hepburn and Hurd against Italy just so that their officially tied down because I certainly would :P?

Italy away is no gimme these days, we need to pick the best team we got for that game.

Time for experimentation is on the summer tour, when surely a fsir few of the old boys will get a rest.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:04 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Squad announcement says a captain still to be named.  I assume that means Ritchie is being replaced as captain.  My assumption would be Finn.  Relationships between him and Toonie have seemingly been repaired and he is probably the obvious choice.

Or it'll still be Ritchie and they are adding drama for the hell of it

In his interview Toonie said that JR was carrying an minor injury still, so would see how he was after the weekend.

According to Franco, Rory Darge us still at least 4 weeks away so you would imagine with Wstson not in the squad, he'll be looking to have Ritchie play as an OS for the first 2 games.

JR looked like he was going to be a long time captain when he was appointed, but he has not always managed it as well as he could have. In particular his comms with refs have been poor at times.

I would like him to carry on, but maybe knowing he can't take it for granted is no bad thing fof him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:05 pm

Plenty of time for him to make the captaincy his, this give him a chance to learn the role under someone else. I was a fan of his selection as Capt. but I think he need a bit more experience in general

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:24 pm

Hepburn is a decent LH. Having seen a decent bit of him and Bhatti, I'd say that Hepburn is narrowly the better player. I honestly had no clue he was SQP!

As said before, I've watched a ton of Hurd and McCallum from early in both careers. I'd say that Hurd has more natural ability in the scrum but is a bit slow around the park. Murray is more mobile but has struggled at set-piece against strong LHs. Given age Hurd might be very narrowly the better bet if they can get his work rate up. It's a tight call.

Harris has dropped off sometimes alarmingly for Glaws. His formerly outstanding defensive work seems to have lapsed a bit. He's been noticeably at fault in defence a few times for Glaws. It's been a real problem channel for them in a tough season. I wonder if he's lost that little bit of pace that he didn't have to lose. Previously he was just quick enough with his outstanding reading of the game making him a brilliant defensive leader. Whereas he seems that touch behind the pace now.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:33 pm

I also completely missed that Watson and Harris were dropped. Both are 32+ in positions that rarely age brilliantly.

Watson has a better argument with Darge presently injured but he may be moving into a break in case of emergency. With McDowall and Hutchinson in, it could be the end for Bennett as well.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Crosbie is fine)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:52 pm

You just know that Toonie is sitting in his booklined study sipping a hot Bovril and looking at the notebook in front of him which has the words;

11. Jones
12. McDowall
13. Harris
12, Steyn
15. Healey

and weeping over the fact that this will now never come to pass.

p.s. what exactly has Cherry done to blot his copybook.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:00 pm

jimbopip wrote:

There are some pretty sordid allegations about that on the Glasgow Warriors Forum, which for legal reasons it is probably best are not repeated here.

Fair to say though, alcohol was likely involved and if half of it is true, he won't ever be playing for Scotland again!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:26 pm

BigGee wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

There are some pretty sordid allegations about that on the Glasgow Warriors Forum, which for legal reasons it is probably best are not repeated here.

Fair to say though, alcohol was likely involved and if half of it is true, he won't ever be playing for Scotland again!
There was a s**t storm of rumours flying around my local clubs WhatsApp when he came home during the RWC. That's a wee club down in Dumfries & Galloway as well these days. Not even a Super 6 club in Edinburgh with obvious personnel links to the pro sides. Scottish rugby is a small world, nowts getting kept quiet. Similar with Hoggy's, ahem, antics over the summer.

I'm guessing there was some truth in the Cherry rumours if they are now creeping online. If true then I'm honestly pretty surprised he's still at Edinburgh.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:28 pm

Yeh read some rather unsavoury rumours on reddit. Not good.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:28 pm

king_carlos wrote:
BigGee wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

There was a s**t storm of rumours flying around my local clubs WhatsApp when he came home during the RWC. That's a wee club down in Dumfries & Galloway as well these days. Not even a Super 6 club in Edinburgh with obvious personnel links to the pro sides. Scottish rugby is a small world, nowts getting kept quiet. Similar with Hoggy's, ahem, antics over the summer.

I'm guessing there was some truth in the Cherry rumours if they are now creeping online. If true then I'm honestly pretty surprised he's still at Edinburgh.

Oh who dya play for? I used to play for the stewarty as a lad but got a couple of mates who play for saints now!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:29 pm

king_carlos wrote:
BigGee wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

That was the sentiment expressed on the GW forum!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:02 pm

Tramptastic wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
BigGee wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Oh who dya play for? I used to play for the stewarty as a lad but got a couple of mates who play for saints now!
I was briefly at Stewartry myself actually after first moving down to the area. I stopped playing but still use the gym there sometimes as it's so well kitted now and a few friends stay in CD. I have been down for non contact stuff occasionally for fitness purposes when I get time. My most recent game was with Newton Stewart rather than Stewartry though. I had a pal there, they had some availability issues in the same position so I turned out once and ended up riding the bench a few games on the bounce as rugby has that tendency to drag you back in. There's certainly some truth that it's a tough sport to get started in again once you stop though. Everything seems to hurt a lot more once you're north of 30 and haven't taken a hit for a while. Sadly, I had a concussion in my final one of those games and that was that for me on the pitch though.

Stewartry are doing really well from all I hear. They got promoted to the Nat leagues for this season, seem to have done OK. Sometimes that sort of promotion and the extra travel involved can hurt availability a bit. If you lose a few more games compared to the season before where you got promoted, then suddenly folk drift away a bit if there's a 3 hour drive to play top of the table clubs. That certainly happened with one of the reserve teams at Heriots when I was there. Stewartry seem to be thriving though. I was really impressed with the facilities, coaching, training turnout, etc. I certainly think having a Women's side helps the culture around clubs. When I was first at Heriots for a long time they didn't have one, then they basically nicked Murrayfield Wanderers team and developed it into a really good women's section. I'd say the club there's better for it too.

king_carlos

Tramptastic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:03 pm

Strong, settled squad with a few bonus props which is great news. I do feel sorry for Sutherland though. It could have all been so different if he had remained at Edinburgh or signed a long term deal with another club. Hard luck for Miller as well, he was the form no.8 and somehow missed out to others. Not sure what else he could have done really.

I look forward to seeing how the squad gets on, especially with added pressure on Toonie and his team after a poor showing against SA and Ireland. Can he right some wrongs?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:10 pm

Just seen Wickerman Festival in your location list, Tramp. A sibling worked for the family that ran it for a few years and the neighbouring farm to where it was staged belongs to family from my mums side. We used to get free tickets for a while, went most years. Sums up the small world thing up here!

Got to love a smaller festival. One year you get Dizzee Rascal, then Primal Scream, then The Waterboys. Laugh

It was so sad how things ended with heart breaking Jamie Gilroy's death.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:26 pm

Well toonie has dredged the bin juice and managed to find some props. Hepburn is a solid pro and could do a job as backup I'm sure. Hurd is only 24 so a baby if a prop, but could do with more gametime.

Btw the Reece Zammit news is mad, absolutely mad...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:27 pm

Yet another Toonie squad with players in it I'd never heard of!! Still, Reed is an exciting addition to the backs and will provide handy back up to Graham.

We need to find props and he's done that. Not convinced either of the newbies will tear it up, but we sorely need depth.

Rees-Zammit news is crazy times. Huge blow to Wales, particularly with that Welsh born Exeter wing choosing England.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:58 pm

Rees-zammit clearly looked at what he could achieve with wales over the next few years and then quickly decided to move to America
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:51 pm

I forgot to say earlier on that one minor surprise of an absentee in the squad is Gus Warr but as Eggchasers Rugby says on his YouTube video regarding the squad selection that may be due to the fact that he'd be below Horne, Price and White in the pecking order rather than him choosing England, he did also say that it's possible he'd get a call up if one of Price, White or Horne got injured.

I've just read the offside line article titled "10 takeaways from Gregor Townsend squad announcement" Nd interestingly he was asked in question 8 about the other SQ players that missed out on the squad and he mentioned that Gus Warr AND Tom Roebuck missed out on this squad for different or obvious reasons so I'm not really sure if that suggests they are still considering us or they have chosen us but missed out due to form of others etc because he does mention that Fin Smith and Fraser Dingwall are likely to be called up by England tomorrow :O.

Last edited by Highland Shaun on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:51 pm

tigertattie wrote:Rees-zammit clearly looked at what he could achieve with wales over the next few years and then quickly decided to move to America

That's a perfectly fair conclusion to reach. Still, opens up that Lions right wing slot for Darcy to rip it up.

I should also add that it's great to see McDowall in the squad. I always said he'd make it as an international....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:54 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Rees-zammit clearly looked at what he could achieve with wales over the next few years and then quickly decided to move to America

That's a perfectly fair conclusion to reach. Still, opens up that Lions right wing slot for Darcy to rip it up.

I should also add that it's great to see McDowall in the squad. I always said he'd make it as an international....

He doesn't make it as an international, international rugby makes it for him.

I've heard when he trains to break the line, the oncoming cars swerve just to avoid him.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:10 am

Just read the offside line article and it does suggest that Warr and Roebuck are still in his thoughts, he clearly has been talking to them. Let's see if they are in the England squad today.

He was not giving up on Harris or Watson either, but they need to play their way back to the team, which with some of the other options available, may not be easy.

In terms if the captaincy, I did not feel he gave a ringing endorsement to JR, kind of suggesting that if everyone (Darge) was fit, he might struggle to make the team. Uou get the feeling he wants to shake up that back row a little bit and maybe give others a chance.

He was also a bit more optimistic about Darge fitness than Franco was yesterday, not ruling out the first 2 games.

Hopefully JR has a really good game this weekend and gives Toonie a headache.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:12 am

It's maybe a subtle kick up the arse for Ritchie too - see how he responds.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:41 am

Highland Shaun wrote:I forgot to say earlier on that one minor surprise of an absentee in the squad is Gus Warr but as Eggchasers Rugby says on his YouTube video regarding the squad selection that may be due to the fact that he'd be below Horne, Price and White in the pecking order rather than him choosing England, he did also say that it's possible he'd get a call up if one of Price, White or Horne got injured.

I've just read the offside line article titled "10 takeaways from Gregor Townsend squad announcement" Nd interestingly he was asked in question 8 about the other SQ players that missed out on the squad and he mentioned that Gus Warr AND Tom Roebuck missed out on this squad for different or obvious reasons so I'm not really sure if that suggests they are still considering us or they have chosen us but missed out due to form of others etc because he does mention that Fin Smith and Fraser Dingwall are likely to be called up by England tomorrow :O.

Given England injuries and options at 9 and wing both Warr and Roebuck have a fair chance at England selection as well.

Roebuck in particular has a strong kick chase game that would suit Borthwick's tactic of not playing out from his own half whilst also being a more than handy finisher.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:47 am

https://www.theoffsideline.com/10-takeaways-gregor-townsends-2024-six-nations-squad-announcement/

Good article and lots of detail from toonie

Sounds like Finn Smith ship has sailed.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:10 am

RDW wrote:https://www.theoffsideline.com/10-takeaways-gregor-townsends-2024-six-nations-squad-announcement/

In reality, it sailed a while ago

We are going in with 3 good options at FH this time around, we should not complain to much about that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:52 am

king_carlos wrote:Just seen Wickerman Festival in your location list, Tramp. A sibling worked for the family that ran it for a few years and the neighbouring farm to where it was staged belongs to family from my mums side. We used to get free tickets for a while, went most years. Sums up the small world thing up here!

Got to love a smaller festival. One year you get Dizzee Rascal, then Primal Scream, then The Waterboys. Laugh

It was so sad how things ended with heart breaking Jamie Gilroy's death.

Good to hear you had a pleasant experience at the stewarty. Very much agree that club culture improves with the addition of a ladies side - at Lismore every effort is made to make sure social events dont collide with the ladies having a game the next day so everyone can mingle properly!

Yeh the Wickerman is my true home, was a right of passage for about a decade for the local youth! Alabama 3 was the best band i've seen there, absolutely immense

And aye, sad that it ended when it did in the manner that it did, local community was gutted for the Gilroys for sure.

Rumour has it though that its making a, much reduced in scale, comeback for 2025.

Tramptastic

king_carlos and Mcsweens like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:53 am

BigGee wrote:
RDW wrote:https://www.theoffsideline.com/10-takeaways-gregor-townsends-2024-six-nations-squad-announcement/

In reality, it sailed a while ago

We are going in with 3 good options at FH this time around, we should not complain to much about that.

Thats the thing, having followed Scottish rugby throughout the 00s we'd have killed for 1 good flyhalf, let alone a potential 4 excellent options. Smith is a loss for sure but its not like the cupboard is bare!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:09 am

BigGee wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
BigGee wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

That was the sentiment expressed on the GW forum!

I've not seen any rumours, but the reality is really mild. Team day off, he and a few players 'probably' had too much to drink he was the worst of them and he slipped down some stairs at the hotel and banged his head. Toonie clearly, and understandably raging that at the biggest event in some of these players lives they couldn't stay off the drink enough not to cause injury to themselves and he's being punished as a result. If you consider Russell dropped down to 5th(?) choice FH when he had 1-2 additional beers when he was our best 10 then Toonie obviously has no issues with excluding a player who was already 3rrd/4th choice in their position anyway.

I can't say who my source on this is, but they are really close to the events involved. Not sure what the rumours doing the rounds are, but rather boringly that's the truth of it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:15 am

That is reassuring to hear, as the other stuff was not good!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:18 am

Still not an acceptable incident at all really. I know Scotland aren't exactly unique in having players who like a drink, but as a generation this group of players have had plenty issues arise due to boozing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:24 am

RDW wrote:Still not an acceptable incident at all really. I know Scotland aren't exactly unique in having players who like a drink, but as a generation this group of players have had plenty issues arise due to boozing.

100%

If I was Toonie I'd exclude him too. No harm on a sanctioned day off having a beer or two, but to get to the point when you're so drunk you fall down stairs and end up ruling yourself out of a world cup then it's probably fair enough you don't get the honour of wearing your country's shirt again.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next