The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

4 posters

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Sep 2023, 9:37 pm

For the final time this year Sad
Surrey have named a 15 man squad for the the final LV= county championship game against Hampshire at the Ageas bowl starting on Tuesday 26th September.
Will Jacks and Jamie Smith will be available after the completion of England’s ODI with Ireland. Very Happy  England players involved in the Ireland series may play in the last round of the County Championship if they are released by England to do so, assuming that they can participate in at least two full days of the Championship match.
There is no place in the squad for Ben Geddes.
Full Squad:
Burns (c)
Blake
Clark
Dunn
Foakes
Jacks
Lawes
Overton
Patel
Roach
Sibley
Smith
Sudharsan
Steel
Worrall
so 5 points needed at most to be champions  Fingers Crossed
I'd expect Jacks and Smith to replace Steel and Sudharsan or possibly Patel at some stage during the game.
For the final time Over to you chaps  thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Tue 26 Sep 2023, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Sep 2023, 11:03 pm

Thanks for this thread and all the others throughout the season, JimBob.

Yeah, with you on the subs and although you didn't say it (as you didn't need to) Blake and Dunn just there as cover for any batter or bowler getting crocked before tomorrow's start. Btw, Worrall wasn't shown in your list of players but is definitely included.

Something for Surrey to keep in mind is the over rate. Five seamers in the side and the threat of rain holding things up. Be disastrous to get the draw but have 1 or 2 points docked for a slow over rate. Could see a bit of twirling from some of Steel, Sudharson and Jacks.

An extra bit of good news for us is that the great 'Ronnie' Barker misses the game with a leg injury.

guildfordbat

thegooch7, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE LV COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Sep 2023, 9:25 am

Excellent spot Guildford

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Sep 2023, 9:32 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Excellent spot Guildford

I'm sure you did it on purpose, JimBob! Smile

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Sep 2023, 9:44 am

Unusually for me, I would bowl first if we win the toss today. That should help our chances of at least getting the necessary draw. The last thing we want is to be skittled for 120 a bit after lunch.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Sep 2023, 11:18 am

The Burns haircut works again Surrey win toss and bowl
Team as expected

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 26 Sep 2023, 11:30 am

Well in jimbob, let's hope Burns gets substituted before he bats

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 26 Sep 2023, 12:47 pm

Someone explain to me the situation - if we bowl Hants out in 110 overs we win the title?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Sep 2023, 2:16 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Someone explain to me the situation - if we bowl Hants out in 110 overs we win the title?

Not necessarily.

Essex can still get 24 points from winning their game at Northants (16) with max batting (5) and max bowling (3) points. Assuming they do, we still need 5 points as we went into today's Hants game with a 20 point lead.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Sep 2023, 3:03 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Well in jimbob, let's hope Burns gets substituted before he bats
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Sep 2023, 3:04 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Someone explain to me the situation - if we bowl Hants out in 110 overs we win the title?
300 runs would do it Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 26 Sep 2023, 4:54 pm

Part one achieved, 3 bowling points, 219 all out and a fivefer from Lawes

thegooch7

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Sep 2023, 6:23 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Part one achieved, 3 bowling points, 219 all out and a fivefer from Lawes

And as a bit of a further bonus, Northants so far at least making a game of it against Essex.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Sep 2023, 11:06 pm

Jacks and smith on the way to Hampshire wonder if they can bat in the first innings?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Sep 2023, 9:53 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Jacks and smith on the way to Hampshire wonder if they can bat in the first innings?

I'm pretty sure that Surrey had to confirm to the ECB and the umpires before the match started which player could be replaced by Jacks and which other player could be replaced by Smith. As usual, Surrey haven't told us.

I also think a sub has to be brought in with at least two days of the scheduled time remaining.

If that's right (and it may not be), I would guess that Jacks will come in today for Steel and bat in the first innings. The other player to be subbed will imo be either Patel or Sudharsan who were both at the crease last night. I would again guess that they'll both complete their knocks today with one of them (maybe Sudharsan) being subbed for Smith who will only bat in our second innings.

Anyway, going out now and back in an hour when we may just find out what's actually happening!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Sep 2023, 10:58 am

Surrey have confirmed Jacks is coming in for Lawes, and Smith will replace Patel (from the 3rd innings onwards).
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Sep 2023, 10:59 am

Just tweeted by Surrey.
Smith replaces Patel from the start of Hants' second innings. Understandable and not too surprising.
Far less predictable and harder to figure out - Jacks replaces Lawes today and so will bat in this innings. I suppose it gives us greater batting strength to play out for the draw if necessary.
It seems particularly odd as Lawes took a fivefer yesterday although, as mentioned in my last post, I believe we had to confirm who would be substituted before the match began.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Sep 2023, 11:38 am

guildfordbat wrote:Just tweeted by Surrey.
Smith replaces Patel from the start of Hants' second innings. Understandable and not too surprising.
Far less predictable and harder to figure out - Jacks replaces Lawes today and so will bat in this innings. I suppose it gives us greater batting strength to play out for the draw if necessary.
It seems particularly odd as Lawes took a fivefer yesterday although, as mentioned in my last post, I believe we had to confirm who would be substituted before the match began.

I would also add, it gives another spin option for the 3rd innings bowling - where you'd expect spin to play more of a role. Shame for Lawes, but as you said this would have had to be sorted pre-game, and he would have been the obvious pick really for that.

Slow going this morning...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Sep 2023, 11:39 am

Meanwhile Northants have passed 350 against Essex. A superb 172 from 167 balls from Rob Keogh...while Essex remain on course for full bowling points, having a score like that on the board in the first innings - you'd think they will need to bat *very* well to force a result in that one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Sep 2023, 11:59 am

Ben Foakes yet to score 33 balls into his innings...are we playing for the draw already?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Ben Foakes yet to score 33 balls into his innings...are we playing for the draw already?

If Foakes was with his mates in the pub and someone else picked a fight, you just kind of know he would be in the Gents .... Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Sep 2023, 12:45 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Ben Foakes yet to score 33 balls into his innings...are we playing for the draw already?

If Foakes was with his mates in the pub and someone else picked a fight, you just kind of know he would be in the Gents .... Rolling Eyes

6 off 53 balls...oof.

Good knock by the overseas so far, and Jacks has hit two lusty blows already. Trail by 105 with 6 wickets in hand, not the worst match position, but needs these two to have a good partnership.

Essex 31-2 in reply to Northants 369 at lunch. Both openers in the hutch
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Sep 2023, 1:24 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

6 off 53 balls...oof.

Good knock by the overseas so far, and Jacks has hit two lusty blows already. Trail by 105 with 6 wickets in hand, not the worst match position, but needs these two to have a good partnership.

It could be the Northants bowlers who get us over the line. It's been their batting that has let them down this year. Sanderson, White and Taylor were a pretty potent seam attack at the Oval last week. If Essex fail to score 400, the Championship is ours regardless.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Sep 2023, 1:27 pm

Lawes decision makes no sense Headscratch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Sep 2023, 1:40 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

6 off 53 balls...oof.

It could be the Northants bowlers who get us over the line. It's been their batting that has let them down this year. Sanderson, White and Taylor were a pretty potent seam attack at the Oval last week. If Essex fail to score 400, the Championship is ours regardless.

Essex now lost Lawrence after lunch, 40-3. Sanderson with all three.

Sudharsan goes for a well made 73, and perhaps worryingly, that one leapt and took the glove from Dawson.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Sep 2023, 1:54 pm

and now Jacks

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Sep 2023, 2:36 pm

Surrey off for bad light. Take that.

Meanwhile, Essex are 74/4 with - look away, JimBob - new man Walter dropped on 1. Anyway, they're going to have to do something really special to get 400 now and stay in the hunt.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Sep 2023, 2:39 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Surrey off for bad light. Take that.

Meanwhile, Essex are 74/4 with - look away, JimBob - new man Walter dropped on 1. Anyway, they're going to have to do something really special to get 400 now and stay in the hunt.
mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Sep 2023, 4:33 pm

Been on and off for bad light, which has hampered progress - Clark and Roach putting up a decent rear-guard, two wickets in hand and a deficit of 39.

Maybe more importantly they've been off for light and then it's started raining at Wantage Road, with Essex 95-4 off 35 overs, still 274 runs in arrears. Not only going to be tough for them to reach 400 in 110 overs (306 needed in 75 overs with only 6 wickets in the hutch) but also looking increasingly difficult for them to push for a win. Going to need an Adam Rossington special tomorrow
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Sep 2023, 4:53 pm

awful batting display mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Sep 2023, 5:02 pm

50 for Clark clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Sep 2023, 5:04 pm

advantage Essex now

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 27 Sep 2023, 6:25 pm

Another mess from Surrey, and we'll have to face Dawson on a 4th day pitch, just relying on things out of our hands.....again

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Sep 2023, 9:59 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Another mess from Surrey, and we'll have to face Dawson on a 4th day pitch, just relying on things out of our hands.....again

Exactly, Goochie.

The good thing for Surrey is that Essex need a further 275 with 6 wickets left from 62 overs at almost 4.5 an over to get their necessary 4 batting points. That's an extremely tall order.

Whatever happens, a stuttering and unimpressive end to the season by Surrey.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Sep 2023, 10:26 pm

Just seen that Foakes LBW picard
in the words of Liz truss that is a disgrace

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Sep 2023, 10:22 am

Assuming that play starts on time at Northants, the first half hour or so could be very helpful to to their bowlers - and us ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 28 Sep 2023, 11:45 am

Essex now 165-6 off 66 overs - that 400 is going to take a miracle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Sep 2023, 12:31 pm

Champions!

We got there in the end. Some good and impressive performances along the way although lacking the consistency of our 2018 and 2022 title years. A stuttering and unimpressive end to the season which raises some concern for next season.

guildfordbat

thegooch7, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Sep 2023, 2:52 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Champions!

We got there in the end. Some good and impressive performances along the way although lacking the consistency of our 2018 and 2022 title years. A stuttering and unimpressive end to the season which raises some concern for next season.

Let's worry about that next year Guildford Very Happy Bubbly

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Sep 2023, 4:49 pm

Whoops - double post

Last edited by guildfordbat on Thu 28 Sep 2023, 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Sep 2023, 5:06 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:

Let's worry about that next year Guildford Very Happy Bubbly

Yeah, fair enough, JimBob. Time for a beer. 🍻

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 28 Sep 2023, 5:25 pm

Congratulations to the lads, overall an excellent season, but slightly unsatisfactory end, and luckily Essex losing their last 2 games has masked a bit, but let's be positive.....Champions...again!

thegooch7

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 29 Sep 2023, 4:00 pm

Sudharsan looks like he has something about him, hope we get to see him in a Surrey shirt again

jimbobgooner

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down