The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

4 posters

Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 26 Apr 2023, 5:04 pm

Surrey have named a 13 man squad for the LV=Insurance County Championship game away to Warwickshire.
Sean Abbott is rested for this game as agreed with Cricket Australia and Cricket New South Wales at the time of signing a contract at the Club.  Sad
Ben Geddes misses out from the the squad that was named for Hampshire, but Dan Moriarty is named again after missing out for that game.
There is no place in the squad for Connor McKerr, James Taylor or Amir Virdi
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Gus Atkinson
Jordan Clark
Ben Foakes
Tom Lawes
Dan Moriarty
Ryan Patel
Ollie Pope
Kemar Roach
Dom Sibley
Jamie Smith
Cam Steel
Dan Worrall
Didn't know that about Abbott he will be a big miss especially as he's so good with the bat, Foakes will come in for him which will probably leave Atkinson and Moriarty on drink duties.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by guildfordbat Wed 26 Apr 2023, 5:45 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

Yeah, that was big and unwanted news to me as well about Abbott. Although he didn't get many wickets against Hants (just 1 in each innings, I think), he bowled well and certainly put his back into it getting lift to disturb their batsmen. He had better luck at Old Trafford with a first innings fivefer. As you say, his batting will also be a large loss.

Unless he injures himself getting off the coach, Foakes clearly comes back in. However, with no Abbott, does that lighten the bowlling too much? If so, Atkinson might come in with Patel missing out.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by James100 Wed 26 Apr 2023, 6:36 pm

Cheers Jimbob.

I'd echo you guys on Atkinson and Moriarty most likely to miss out, with the chance that one of them plays ahead of Patel/Steel if the conditions on the day look to need another bowler.

James100

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 26 Apr 2023, 6:51 pm

Cheers Jimbo, how much rest does Abbott need, he's just had nearly 2 weeks not playing! I probably agree with the 2 to miss out, but I'd like Moriarty to play, just for variation

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 26 Apr 2023, 8:45 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Cheers Jimbo, how much rest does Abbott need, he's just had nearly 2 weeks not playing! I probably agree with the 2 to miss out, but I'd like Moriarty to play, just for variation

Hi Goochie - you might just get your wish about Moriarty. Even though Danny Briggs, a slow left armer like Moriarty, has been skippering Warks seconds in their ongoing match at Guildford, he's been called into their 12 man squad for tomorrow's first team game at Edgbaston. That suggests Warks feel there might be something in the track for him. If we think the same, yer man might just play.

Totally with you btw about Abbott and the daft timing of his rest.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 27 Apr 2023, 10:47 am

Surrey win toss and bowl
Team as predicted

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 27 Apr 2023, 11:00 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Surrey win toss and bowl
Team as predicted

Thanks, JimBob.

Even though I'm usually ''bat first'', I can well understand us choosing to bowl in the - I guess - sort of grey, murky conditions. Might also be a few rain breaks to give the bowlers a breather.

Briggs misses out for Warks. I suspect he's not exactly chuffed having been pulled out of the stiffs whom he was skippering against Surrey at Guildford, presumably having to drive up to Brum last night and then being told this morning it was a wasted trip!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 27 Apr 2023, 12:06 pm

Our first hour by some distance. Warks 25/3.

Roach and Worrall sharing the opening 14 overs and bagging the wickets. A breather for both of them coming up. Can Clark and Lawes continue the good work? Certainly hope so as we're a frontline bowler light with Abbott dozing in a hammock. I wonder if we might see Patel turn his arm over at some point - conditions might just suit.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 27 Apr 2023, 3:56 pm

112 for 6 when the rain came, a excellent caught and bowled to look out for from Roach Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 27 Apr 2023, 4:59 pm

8 down

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 28 Apr 2023, 1:07 am

A good day (or half day) at the office. We got a break in winning the toss but imprtantly made the most of it.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 28 Apr 2023, 2:39 pm

Warwickshire 150 all out
we are 30 for 2 at lunch including a joke of a lbw against Pope picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 28 Apr 2023, 4:17 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Warwickshire 150 all out
we are 30 for 2 at lunch including a joke of a lbw against Pope picard

I'll be a bit more tactful and say I wasn't convinced.Wink  He was a long way down the track and was playing a shot when the ball hit the pads probably outside off.

No doubt about Burns' dismissal though. That was bad judgement and a poor leave.

Was just about to say this is an important innings for Patel and then he's gone! Rolling Eyes Currently 104/4 in reply to Warks' 150. Looks like being a proper game although tighter than I would like ... and not many batting points for you, JimBob. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 28 Apr 2023, 5:11 pm

Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 28 Apr 2023, 7:53 pm

Poor from Surrey, In a good position when Clark and Lawes throw their wickets away in the last 2 overs of the day, 60 may be a half decent lead, but should(ve) been a lot more

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 28 Apr 2023, 8:05 pm

211/8 at the close.

A more than handy lead of 61 at this stage and just a chance we'll get a batting point. Seems wrong we don't have one already. We batted with real purpose and application against a high quality attack. Smith top scoring and deservedly ending the day with an unbeaten half-century.

Hannon-Dalby and Rushworth leading the way with the ball when I watched and consistently testing. A word of praise as well for former Surrey Academy and 2nd XI keeper Burgess. He made some fine takes and his standing up to the seamers was impressive, contributing to Sibley's dismissal as he struggled for footroom being unable to leave his crease.

Weather forecast for Sunday is not good but little we can do other than push on and hope the rain holds off.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 28 Apr 2023, 8:11 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Poor from Surrey, In a good position when Clark and Lawes throw their wickets away in the last 2 overs of the day, 60 may be a half decent lead, but should(ve) been a lot more

Just seen your post, goochie.

Think we're looking at the same 50% bottle but maybe half full to me and half empty to you. Certainly disappointing to lose those 2 late wickets but I do give credit to the Warks bowlers, especially H-D for his dismissal of Lawes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 29 Apr 2023, 4:16 pm

Apologies for my pessimism last night, what a fantastic day from Surrey today..... let's hope we never need to rest Roach and Worrall

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 29 Apr 2023, 11:31 pm

No need for apologies, goochie. All a question of perception and I could understand how you were seeing things last night even though it wasn’t my take.
Anyway, an utterly brilliant day today. Tremendous bowling from Roach and Worrall. Good biffing and more sensible batting from Worrall and Smith respectively at the start of the day too.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 30 Apr 2023, 12:36 am

Great win that and know we know who will open when Burns and Sibley go off to play in the ashes Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down