The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

+5
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Lowlandbrit
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Jun 2023, 4:40 pm

Surrey have named a 14 man squad for the LV=Insurance County Championship game away to Kent starting on Sunday 11th June at Canterbury.
Tom Latham joins the squad for the first of five LV= Insurance County Championship fixtures.
Dan Moriarty is back in the squad after being left out of the previous county game which ironically was kent as well, seems a long time ago now  Laugh
There is no place in the squad this for Conor McKerr.
And no idea why Sam Curran hasn't been included the club are keeping that quiet. Headscratch
FULL squad:
Burns(c)
Abbott
Atkinson
Clark
Foakes
Jacks
Latham
Lawes
Moriarty
Patel
Sibley
Smith
Steel
Worrall
Right I will have a guess at Moriarty, Patel and Steel to share drink duties, 5 seamers seems  Wink a lot but i think the management like this as we saw this against Kent last time out.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Jun 2023, 8:01 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

Good point about Sam.

Agree with you on the 3 to miss out unless it looks a real turner in which case Moriarty could come in, probably for Lawes.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 1:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Cheers, JimBob.

Good point about Sam.

Agree with you on the 3 to miss out unless it looks a real turner in which case Moriarty could come in, probably for Lawes.
Spot on Guildford thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 1:09 pm

Kent win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 1:13 pm

Kent 80 for 5 at lunch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Jun 2023, 2:02 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:

Good point about Sam.

Cheers, JimBob. If you shoot enough, you have to hit the target sometime! Wink

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 2:05 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:

Good point about Sam.

Cheers, JimBob. If you shoot enough, you have to hit the target sometime! Wink
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Jun 2023, 3:06 pm

Bad miss by Foakes off Abbott to give Cox a life.

Not a dolly - ball had some pace and rose - but should have been straightforward for someone with Foakes' skill and experience.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 3:38 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Bad miss by Foakes off Abbott to give Cox a life.

Not a dolly - ball had some pace and rose  - but should have been straightforward for someone with Foakes' skill and experience.
Just seen it shocking nope

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Jun 2023, 5:08 pm

277/8.

This is getting seriously annoying.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 5:23 pm

and it has proved costly mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 11 Jun 2023, 5:33 pm

Over half of Kent's batting bonus points for the season have now come against Surrey.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Jun 2023, 5:53 pm

At last! 301 all out. A bit too many for Surrey's comfort and massively more than it should have been from 41/5 this morning.

A tricky 11 overs to get through tonight ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:36 pm

Not a dolly - ball had some pace and rose  - but should have been straightforward for someone with Foakes' skill and experience.

If anyone has a clip of this do link me - I see one floating around social media of a very good catch by him off Atkinson to remove Qadri getting all the "Bairstow would never" comments...but seems this was the crucial moment of day 1, and maybe even the game if things continue down this path for Surrey.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:37 pm

guildfordbat wrote:At last! 301 all out. A bit too many for Surrey's comfort and massively more than it should have been from 41/5 this morning.

A tricky 11 overs to get through tonight ....
it was alright for the first 9 picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:39 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

If anyone has a clip of this do link me - I see one floating around social media of a very good catch by him off Atkinson to remove Qadri getting all the "Bairstow would never" comments...but seems this was the crucial moment of day 1, and maybe even the game if things continue down this path for Surrey.
on the stream go to when cox is on 31 and cry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:

Yeah, if you go back on the live stream (which you can atm) it's the ball at 37.5 overs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:50 pm

Stupid decision to leave Lawes out warning

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Jun 2023, 11:46 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Stupid decision to leave Lawes out warning

It didn't pay off today for sure although I'll give Moriarty Kent's second dig to justify the decision.

Great start, poor middle and dreadful end meaning that Kent 'won' the day. Not all over by any stretch but we need to come out on top tomorrow (assuming weather allows).

Last edited by guildfordbat on Mon 12 Jun 2023, 1:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 12 Jun 2023, 12:49 am

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:

Yeah, if you go back on the live stream (which you can atm) it's the ball at 37.5 overs.

''Cox edged Abbott, but Foakes dropped a simple chance'' - from cricinfo's report of the day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 12 Jun 2023, 5:23 am

Seems Surrey just aren't listening to guildford ... Nightwatchman ? ! With inevitable consequences...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 12 Jun 2023, 9:21 am

alfie wrote:Seems Surrey just aren't listening to guildford ...  Nightwatchman ? !  With inevitable consequences...

Terrible, terrible cricket. Burns gets out trying to hook Agar in the 9th over and then Atkinson falls in exactly the same way in the 11th and final over of the day. Braindead would be an insult to braindead creatures.

Meanwhile, Test batsman Latham remains on the players' balcony counting his dosh. He owes us a big innings today ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 12 Jun 2023, 10:23 am

guildfordbat wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:

''Cox edged Abbott, but Foakes dropped a simple chance'' - from cricinfo's report of the day.

Just watched it now - an absolute dolly. Not good, and feeds into my ever growing view that his wicket keeping is generally a bit overrated by media/pundits who don't really watch him fully, and just regurgitate this view that has emanated out there that he is some unbelievable gloveman, best in the world etc...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 12 Jun 2023, 12:45 pm

well
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 12 Jun 2023, 1:42 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

It didn't pay off today for sure although I'll give Moriarty Kent's second dig to justify the decision.

Great start, poor middle and dreadful end meaning that Kent 'won' the day. Not all over by any stretch but we need to come out on top tomorrow (assuming weather allows).

Fair to say that Kent 'won' the second morning as well.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 12 Jun 2023, 2:06 pm

Seemed like Surrey got stuck in a scoring rut this morning, then Quinn as the first change bowler did the early damage.

Intrigued to see Arshdeep playing county cricket. He's only had eight FC matches in the first three and a half years of his career, and is seen mainly as a T20 talent, but clearly he wants to get into India's test team. Good on him.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 12 Jun 2023, 2:34 pm

Thought I'd watch a bit of this today...and I seem to have helped stem the collapse somewhat : getting Kent to put that pie thrower on for an over just before lunch was a masterstroke Smile

What was going on earlier ? It doesn't really look like a minefield.

Oops. Sorry . Spoke too soon...still at least you only need another 40 odd to save the follow on...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 12 Jun 2023, 2:59 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Over half of Kent's batting bonus points for the season have now come against Surrey.
picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 12 Jun 2023, 3:01 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

This aged well Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 12 Jun 2023, 3:05 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Meanwhile, Test batsman Latham remains on the players' balcony counting his dosh. He owes us a big innings today ....
This aged well Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 12 Jun 2023, 4:20 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

This aged well Sad

I said what he owed us. Not what he was going to give us! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 12 Jun 2023, 4:49 pm

why change a winning formula? Headscratch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 12 Jun 2023, 5:54 pm

This is woeful mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jun 2023, 1:25 pm

Lunch on day 3. Surrey needing 501 to win are 7/1.

Fair to say, we have a bit to do ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 13 Jun 2023, 1:59 pm

Surprised our dense captain didn't send in a lunch watchman

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jun 2023, 2:31 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Surprised our dense captain didn't send in a lunch watchman

Nah, we stuck with Latham although Sibley had a jolly good go at getting him run out the very last ball of the morning. Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 13 Jun 2023, 4:02 pm

Well Sibley and Latham have seen out the afternoon session...not for the addition of many runs. 88-1 at tea, still a mammoth 413 runs behind
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jun 2023, 4:19 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Well Sibley and Latham have seen out the afternoon session...not for the addition of many runs. 88-1 at tea, still a mammoth 413 runs behind

And 41 overs to be bowled in the final session. Another late one coming up - it was almost 20 to 8 when they finished yesterday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jun 2023, 4:41 pm

2 down straight after tea Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jun 2023, 6:17 pm

100 for Smith Very Happy clap clap clap clap clap
off just 70 balls Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 13 Jun 2023, 7:07 pm

Kent still long odds on favourites.....but......bloody game on!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 13 Jun 2023, 7:41 pm

Yep still Kent's to lose from here but fantastic knocks by Smith and Sibley in particular to give us an outside sniff going into tomorrow. Going to require some more special batting, especially as we have a longer tail than usual this week...but you never know
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 13 Jun 2023, 9:46 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Kent still long odds on favourites.....but......bloody game on!

Kent actually the outsiders with Bet365, who put them at 21/20, with Surrey 7/10 favourites. I don't agree because I think the second new ball should provide the telling damage, but we'll wait and see.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 14 Jun 2023, 8:51 am

Hi Duty - I don’t agree with Bet365 either although, as you’ve said and shown more than once previously, cricket is something that bookies just don’t seem to understand.

As I commented on the CC thread, Surrey have a chance but I suspect we’ll end around 80 shy. Well over 200 to get with 3 wickets down already on day 4 is always going to be a hard stretch. Add to that, the new ball soon coming due. Also, whilst we hope Sibley can continue yesterday’s outstandingly solid performance, I wonder how physically and mentally shot he is.

A Surrey win would be amazing but, whatever the result, we’ve been very poor in the majority of this game and that has to be addressed.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 14 Jun 2023, 12:01 pm

One hour played. No wickets and not many runs but gripping stuff.
Surrey 298/3. They need 203 more runs whilst Kent need 7 more wickets ….

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 14 Jun 2023, 12:16 pm

Would be the second highest run-chase in County Championship history if Surrey were to pull if off, eclipsed only by Middlesex chasing down 502 to beat Notts in 1925. Harold Larwood was bowling, and Middlesex were 66/4 at one point, so that was a good chase.

Duty281

JDizzle and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 14 Jun 2023, 12:31 pm

Duty281 wrote:Would be the second highest run-chase in County Championship history if Surrey were to pull if off, eclipsed only by Middlesex chasing down 502 to beat Notts in 1925. Harold Larwood was bowling, and Middlesex were 66/4 at one point, so that was a good chase.

Thanks for not asking if I remember it.

guildfordbat

JDizzle, Duty281 and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 14 Jun 2023, 12:32 pm

Still a long old way to go - Kent have kept it tight so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 14 Jun 2023, 12:35 pm

Crucial half-hour between now and lunch. Surrey slowly getting towards that huge target but 1 wicket, let alone 2, before the interval would really shake up the look of things ….

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 14 Jun 2023, 12:56 pm

I note that Dom Sibley is doing his best to enhance his Bazball reputation: 84 runs across almost 3 sessions and 309 balls. Strike rate at a scintillating 27 runs per 100 balls.
Still, if it gets you over the line...

dummy_half

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next