The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

+5
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Lowlandbrit
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Jun 2023, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Surrey have named a 14 man squad for the LV=Insurance County Championship game away to Kent starting on Sunday 11th June at Canterbury.
Tom Latham joins the squad for the first of five LV= Insurance County Championship fixtures.
Dan Moriarty is back in the squad after being left out of the previous county game which ironically was kent as well, seems a long time ago now  Laugh
There is no place in the squad this for Conor McKerr.
And no idea why Sam Curran hasn't been included the club are keeping that quiet. Headscratch
FULL squad:
Burns(c)
Abbott
Atkinson
Clark
Foakes
Jacks
Latham
Lawes
Moriarty
Patel
Sibley
Smith
Steel
Worrall
Right I will have a guess at Moriarty, Patel and Steel to share drink duties, 5 seamers seems  Wink a lot but i think the management like this as we saw this against Kent last time out.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by guildfordbat Wed 14 Jun 2023, 1:06 pm

Tremendous cricket. Great endeavour from Kent but Sibley and Foakes staying resolute to ‘win’ the session for Surrey.

Not counting any chickens yet. More than 160 still needed and the fear lurking that 1 wicket will bring more ….

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023 - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2023

Post by dummy_half Wed 14 Jun 2023, 2:15 pm

Sibley 5 runs away from dominating the record books:
Slowest CC century in terms of balls faces (331 from Andrew Umeed)
Slowest in terms of time (453 minutes, by Jason Gallian)

Added: Just to note, he'll have to slow down rather to break the first class records, there have been 13 first class (including Test) centuries taken over 400 balls, and 13 having taken over 500 minutes

dummy_half

JDizzle and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 14 Jun 2023, 2:35 pm

Duty281 wrote:Would be the second highest run-chase in County Championship history if Surrey were to pull if off, eclipsed only by Middlesex chasing down 502 to beat Notts in 1925. Harold Larwood was bowling, and Middlesex were 66/4 at one point, so that was a good chase.

Was going through some of these big chases last night - and this one in particular caught my eye:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/duleep-trophy-2003-04-370630/south-zone-vs-england-a-group-b-370777/full-scorecard

To say the fortunes of some of these England A players deviated from each other considerably is underselling it!

JDizzle

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 14 Jun 2023, 3:01 pm

Sibley watch
Now over 500 minutes and on 98.

And immediately gets a 4 to take him past his hundred in 502 minutes and 367 balls

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 14 Jun 2023, 3:37 pm

100 for Foakes Very Happy clap clap clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 14 Jun 2023, 4:00 pm

Tea 49 still needed
6 wkts in hand

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 14 Jun 2023, 4:19 pm

dummy_half wrote:Sibley watch
Now over 500 minutes and on 98.

And immediately gets a 4 to take him past his hundred in 502 minutes and 367 balls

Magnificent effort from Sibley. clap clap clap clap

A Championship team needs a tortoise as well as hares.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 14 Jun 2023, 4:36 pm

What an unbelievable chase that is by Surrey - incredibly knock by Sibley, Foakes and Smith. Those beers will be well earned!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 14 Jun 2023, 4:38 pm

Surrey win with 5 wickets to spare and a couple of hours. CHased down 501, with Sibley not out for 140. Possibly another obscure record of the lowest proportion of runs for an opener batting through an innings (at least, subject to some minimum score) ? - 140 of 501 is just under 28% of the runs.

dummy_half

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 14 Jun 2023, 4:40 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo clap clap clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 14 Jun 2023, 4:42 pm

Absolutely astounding, what a comeback

thegooch7

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 14 Jun 2023, 5:26 pm

A brilliant win but questions still have to be asked why Moriarty was chosen instead of Lawes on a pitch which wasn't turning warning
Bar open soon Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 14 Jun 2023, 7:02 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:A brilliant win but questions still have to be asked why Moriarty was chosen instead of Lawes on a pitch which wasn't turning warning  
Bar open soon Very Happy
I have to say Jimbob, like Guildford, I wasn't averse to Moriarty being selected, I assume Kent winning the toss and batting assumed it would turn on the last day, but,!...the only bits I watched, was Moriarty bowling absolute crap after tea on the 1st day, then the final session last night, and all day today, he wasn't even trusted to bowl in their 2nd inns (apart from 4 overs) so I assume we won't see him again, but let's not take away from a monumental effort from the batsmen, especially Sibley, the concentration for that knock was phenomenal

thegooch7

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 14 Jun 2023, 7:32 pm

thegooch7 wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:A brilliant win but questions still have to be asked why Moriarty was chosen instead of Lawes on a pitch which wasn't turning warning  
Bar open soon Very Happy
I have to say Jimbob, like Guildford, I wasn't averse to Moriarty being selected, I assume Kent winning the toss and batting assumed it would turn on the last day,  but,!...the only bits I watched, was Moriarty bowling absolute crap after tea on the 1st day, then the final session last night, and all day today, he wasn't even trusted to bowl in their 2nd inns (apart from 4 overs) so I assume we won't see him again, but let's not take away from a monumental effort from the batsmen, especially Sibley, the concentration for that knock was phenomenal

Spot on, Goochie. Immense physical and mental strength from Sibley continuing from where he left off yesterday.

I obviously wouldn't have wanted any other result but I do have sympathy for Kent. They ended each of the first three days on top and deservedly so. To get there from 41/5 on the opening morning was some achievement, albeit put in the shade by today's amazing efforts.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 14 Jun 2023, 9:44 pm

guinness cider RedWine Whisky mug Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 15 Jun 2023, 4:34 am

Well now that was a remarkable come back ...

I watched last night until Sibley and Foakes both reached their centuries. Was pretty sure by then that the target was in the bag so not at all surprised to see the result confirmed this morning.

Terrific effort of concentration from Sibley even if the bowling looked fairly pedestrian ; and Foakes demonstrating again that his batting really is very good. A pity he seems unlikely to get tested against Australia this summer as the one query I have on him is whether he can transfer his county runs to the top level consistently. That innings last year against SA was a good marker and I'd like to have seen how he handled the Australian attack. Guess England's loss is Surrey's gain this month.

Anyway congrats to all you fellows in the Surrey dressing room bar Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2