The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue

+25
Heaf
demosthenes
sensisball
Cumbrian
formerly known as Sam
carpet baboon
TJ
tigertattie
Boston Exile
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
doctor_grey
Heuer27
Mcsweens
Pot Hale
Welshmushroom
Hazel Sapling
Tramptastic
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
RDW
bsando
George Carlin
BigGee
29 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue - Page 9 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue

Post by BigGee Mon 23 Oct 2023, 4:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Well both Scotland's pro teams got off the mark with a W this weekend, though probably fair to say that Glasgow's was slightly more pleasing on the eye!

Still not to be sniffed at and probably a while since it last happened.

A good omen for the season, let's hope so, though early season games are not always a predictor of longer term performance. Both sides still got plenty of players to bring back into the fold and a lot of improvement to make.

Roll on 2023/24!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue - Page 9 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue

Post by BigGee Sat 16 Dec 2023, 4:56 am

doctor_grey wrote:
bsando wrote:Ally Miller had a great game and his try will have hopefully caught Toonies eye.  
I was surprised, Miller's try seemed to come from nowhere.  And he has serious speed for an 8.  He is a good player.

He was a Scotland sevens player for a while, knows his way to the try line!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue - Page 9 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue

Post by BigGee Sat 16 Dec 2023, 6:39 am

I have been a bit harsh on George Horne over the years and have questioned whether he really was a starting SH at the highest level.

MoM quite rightly went to the unsung Ali Millar, but I thought Hornito had a great game, playing for the whole 90 mins without any drop off. He really controlled the game and kicked well, it was light and day better than what we saw last week.

He has been around for such a long time that you tend to forget that he is only 28 and has easily got another complete WC cycle in him. He will no doubt be pushing to make Toonie believe he can be the starting SH for Scotland, something he never seems to have been totally convinced about. If he keeps playing like last night, than he will no doubt start to turn his head.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 16 Dec 2023, 9:29 am

Fair play to the Luvvies, they really are trying to play some rugby today. At times it's almost like watching Glasgow. Except for the interception obviously.
I predict blizzard of cards and a full scale French tantrum around the hour mark.

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 16 Dec 2023, 9:42 am

Castles props both wanting to be the one getting a ten minute rest.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 17 Dec 2023, 11:33 am

Hey Jimbo!  This is a test:  Yesterday Geordie commented that Jonny Hill, who does things not exactly Einstein-like, and commented Hill is thick as a brick, which is usually an understatement.  But how do you think I responded?  music music music

By the way, see y'all in the Finals!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 17 Dec 2023, 1:44 pm

So you and your wise men don't know how it feels, to be thick as a brick.
Personally I'm not a common thickie I'm Billericay Dickie.
And I'm doing very well.

Last edited by jimbopip on Sun 17 Dec 2023, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 17 Dec 2023, 1:54 pm

jimbopip wrote:So you and your wise men don't know how it feels, to be thick as a brick.
Personally I'm not a common thickness I'm Billericay Dickie.
And I'm doing very well.

The late, great Ian Dury!

Ian Dury and the Blockheads, the first concert I ever went to, Ipswich Gaumont, circa 1978

I don't beleive I ever went to a better one!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 17 Dec 2023, 2:15 pm

Gee, I saw Ian Duryand The Blockheads (with Wilko Johnson on guitar) at Tiffany's in Sauchiehall Street and they were outstanding. I once spent a very enjoyable day with ID when he was up in Glasgow promoting a poetry anthology I was in.
He was a diamond geezer. As it were.

jimbopip

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 17 Dec 2023, 3:09 pm

Sex and Drugs and Rock n Roll, the biographical film about him, with Andy Serkis as the man himself is well worth a watch.

A great film about the Diamond Geezer

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 18 Dec 2023, 8:45 am

RDW wrote:
BigGee wrote:
RDW wrote:Keep the commentary coming Bigee - no TV coverage for me in convictland.

One of the main reason I got into this forum, was when, as a lurker, I was working night shifts as a nurse and Scotland were playing Fiji in the middle of the night. A few brave souls got up in the middle of the night and provided a commentary of some dodgy feed. there was no other way of catching up on the score.

I have always felt obliged to return the favour, in case some stranded Scotsman has no other way of checking the score Braveheart

I was.one of those brave souls! It was a really dodgy feed put on by the Fijian tourist agency or something like that. Commenters were two blokes sitting in a tent.

Matt Scott had a stormer from what I remember.

That was also the test that Niko was discovered!
That was also the one where the English language commentators sounded drunk.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 18 Dec 2023, 9:02 am

George Carlin wrote:
RDW wrote:
BigGee wrote:
RDW wrote:Keep the commentary coming Bigee - no TV coverage for me in convictland.

One of the main reason I got into this forum, was when, as a lurker, I was working night shifts as a nurse and Scotland were playing Fiji in the middle of the night. A few brave souls got up in the middle of the night and provided a commentary of some dodgy feed. there was no other way of catching up on the score.

I have always felt obliged to return the favour, in case some stranded Scotsman has no other way of checking the score Braveheart

I was.one of those brave souls! It was a really dodgy feed put on by the Fijian tourist agency or something like that. Commenters were two blokes sitting in a tent.

One or two Kavas more than they should maybe?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 18 Dec 2023, 4:18 pm

BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RDW wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Was that the infamous Strockosh Ansbro head clash tour?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Dec 2023, 4:28 pm

bsando wrote:
BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RDW wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Was that the infamous Strockosh Ansbro head clash tour?

It was! On a horrible Tuesday evening where the Aussies had a test a few days previously and really didn't want to be there. Luckily torrential rain is our bread and butter as a nation.

Scotland are apparently touring the Pacific islands next summer - I'll definitely be there if they are! Will take my commentator mic

RDW
Founder
Founder

George Carlin and bsando like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 18 Dec 2023, 5:49 pm

Enough of this nostalgia fest...the future is coming.
More specifically it is almost time for the Slaughter Of The Effeminates.
Bhatti-Turner-Ragnar (Macbeth- Scouser-Sordoni)
Gray-Cummings (Samuels)
Big Shona-RichieV2-Darge (Mullet)
Hornito (Brimful)
Thompson
Injuries mean that Rowe and McKay will be the wingers. However The General could surprise us all;
Jordan- Wee Shona as centres and Shug at 15.
Or
Shona-Shug and Jordan at 15.
Or
Stafford-Shona and Shug Or Jordan.

Whoever...we are Warriors.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Dec 2023, 6:05 pm

Someone fancy doing an 1872 thread?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 19 Dec 2023, 8:33 am

Edinburgh continue to crack on with their recruitment for next season.

Sam Skinner signs on for another 2 years, he seems well settled at Edinburgh now and will benefit the team once he is back from injury soon.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Dec 2023, 6:43 am

Gilchrist signs up as well for Edinburgh

'At least' till end of 2025, so presumably another year and an option. He is 33 now, but still going well enough, even if Scotland do need to move on from him and RG as their second row starters.

Be nice to see few signings at Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Dec 2023, 4:58 pm

Good to see Adam Hastings back playing this weekend after 18 months of injury hell and stop start run of games. He's only 27 so got plenty rugby left in him.

Wonder if he'll come back to Glasgow at the end of his deal given the lack of standoffs.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Dec 2023, 5:51 pm

I think it would be to his advantage to come back, he could be the missing link in that Glasgow backline and put hinself in Toonie's view again.

He has slipped a way down the order now

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 23 Dec 2023, 6:34 am

BigGee wrote:I think it would be to his advantage to come back, he could be the missing link in that Glasgow backline and put hinself in Toonie's view again.

He has slipped a way down the order now

I still haven't forgiven him for not passing to Sam Johnson in the final against Leinster. Doh

jimbopip

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Dec 2023, 5:41 pm

So..... everyone still hungover?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 27 Dec 2023, 5:56 pm

Some of us have been working you know 😇

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 28 Dec 2023, 2:36 pm

I’m recovering from food poisoning. Beware l'huitres!

Great to see VDM sign on for another season with Edinburgh! He could play for any club but clearly enjoys being where he is.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 28 Dec 2023, 6:03 pm

Well in more random news, Luke Crosbie appears to have a new girlfriend and they're actually a bit famous. The girl has almost a million followers on Instagram where every video appears to be her putting makeup on. That makes you famous these days.

The dad only has 150k followers but appears to be a reasonably successful actor! Tamer Hassan who has appeared in the football factory, layer cake, clash of the titans, game of thrones etc. They've both been posting in support of Luke and Edinburgh rugby which is all quite random but good marketing I guess...

Well done Luke!

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 29 Dec 2023, 7:00 am

Maybe that explains his uptick in form?

https://www.theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-glasgow-countdown-kyle-rowe/

Hadn’t quite realised that with Smith and Steyn injured Rowe has a great opportunity to infiltrate the match day squad for Scotland this 6N.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Jan 2024, 5:10 pm

Bill Mata confirmed as moving to Bristol. Wonder what that means for Bradbury?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 03 Jan 2024, 5:14 am

RDW wrote:Bill Mata confirmed as moving to Bristol. Wonder what that means for Bradbury?

Poor Bradbury. Try as he might, he just can't escape the gigantic shadow of Bill Mata! It's a shame, by all accounts Bradbury plays well for Bristol, maybe just not "Bill Mata" good?

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 03 Jan 2024, 6:08 am

The highest capped non Scottish player for Edinburgh apparently. We got the best out of him, good signing. Any young prospects who could earn a bit more game time next season? I’d prefer to see that than an expensive marquee signing.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 03 Jan 2024, 6:11 am

Ben Muncaster has been the coming man for a while now - time for him to step up. He needs some better luck with injuria though.

Bear back to Edinburgh...?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 03 Jan 2024, 6:34 am

Muncaster should have the first opportunity to make the 8 jersey his own for Edinburgh. Tom Dodd is a useful back-up to him.

Alternatively, Crosbie would be an interesting option for Edinburgh to experiment with as well. Got the build to play as a Barclay-esque 8 or put on a bit more bulk if that is what is required.

Bradbury could be re-signed by Bristol. There is a £1.4m boost to the salary cap next year and they only have six senior back-rowers on the books according to Wiki. Bradbury is already on 900 minutes for the season and, if he can stay fit, will likely get to 1,500-2,000 minutes on the year. Could see them keeping Bradbury as a rotational option between the 6,8 and 20 jerseys.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Wed 03 Jan 2024, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hazel Sapling

Boston Exile and George Carlin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Wed 03 Jan 2024, 3:20 pm

You're thinking of a Ritchie, Watson, Muncaster backrow after Mata leaves? Crosbie could cover the back-row but am sure he has ambitions to start (for Scotland too).

I was never completely happy with Barclay as No.8, he could do it, in a David Leslie fashion, but need a big 6 like Brown for the lineout and maul defence against the best teams - feel similarly about Crosby.

Bradbury had the potential to do more. How old is he now?

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 03 Jan 2024, 4:16 pm

You really have got to think that the Bradbury ship has sailed and it was not through lack of opportunities. He just did not turn up for far to many games and even though he has played a steady game at Bristol these past few years, nothing really suggests he could do anything special at international level.

Dempsey and Fagerson pretty much always turn up for work and there are others, like Crosbie, Bayliss and Christie, who probably feel they have not had a fair crack of the whip yet.

Not to mention youngsters like Muncaster, who have always looked pretty impressive to me when they have played.

Bradbury unfortunately, is probably a long way down the pecking order now and I would be very surprised if he was to get a phone call from Toonie, who is likely trying to rebuild his team going forwards.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 03 Jan 2024, 4:44 pm

Whilst I don't disagree Biggee, Bradbury is only 28 which is prime back row years. He's had a very competition few years in the Premiership and has definitely improved as a player.

Professional sport comes with surprises and I wouldn't rule him out playing for Scotland again in the future, but other than through injuries I agree he won't likely be in the 6N squad.

Speaking of injury when are Dempsey and Fagerson back?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 03 Jan 2024, 6:48 pm

And then there’s also CDP who has been starting at 8 for Toulon. That would be a big recall if he were named. I love that he’s still going at the top level after his horrific injury.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 03 Jan 2024, 7:32 pm

CDP unfortunately signed a non international agreement when he went to Toulon.

A shame really, before his injury, he really was a player who could have stood out in the international game. I am not so sure the player he is now while very effective in the French league, would have the same effect.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 04 Jan 2024, 6:13 am

I didn’t realise he had signed one of those, that’s a shame. He’s a lump of an 8 these days, similar to Vermulen. Certainly not as a mobile as fagerson and Dempsey but offered something different.

Miller seems like a standout to make the match day squad if Dempsey isn’t fit. Is fagerson out for long?

What was a fairly settled backrow could look pretty different for the wales match given these injuries.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 04 Jan 2024, 7:04 am

I think Dempsey and Fagerson out for another month or so. They will miss the euro fixtures and maybe the start of the 6N but not long term like Rory Darge unfortunately

At least Glasgow should have some fresh bodies back for the business end of the season. There are actually not to msnt lesgue games between now and the end of the 6Ns.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 04 Jan 2024, 8:28 am

Yep injuries are certainly not helping the Glasgow cause. It’s been great for Miller though who I was a big fan of while he was at Edinburgh. Him and Christie could well have a big six nations ahead.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 05 Jan 2024, 7:32 am

Rory Sutherland to Glasgow next season as well as Hastings from Gloucester.

Both would be decent signings and likely the end of the road for Alan Dell, who has hardly played under Franco and maybe retirement for Duncy.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Fri 05 Jan 2024, 10:10 am

If Hastings returns what does this mean for Thompson? Always rated him and feel he needs a run of matches, no disrespect to Tom Jordan who is a different style of Flyhalf.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 05 Jan 2024, 10:15 am

I don't think it will make any difference to Thompson, who will likely become Hastings back up.

He has not really nailed down a starting spot while at Glasgow, albeit injuries may have played a part in that.

Probably fairer to judge him at the end of this season as it seems he is likely to get a lot more game time this time around.

The player it may effect more is Jordan, who we may see moving into the centre a lot more.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 06 Jan 2024, 12:56 pm

Fin smith plays another good game. If rumours he’s given a guaranteed match day squad place for Scotland in feb, I’d not argue with it. He’s a far better 10 than any other dancer stand in!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 06 Jan 2024, 1:15 pm

Russell, Healy and Smith would be a deadly combo of fly halves but I just don't see how Smith can not be in that England squad given Farrell won't be involved. His competition is Ford and M Smith and given his form I think Borthwick would be mad to ignore him in favour of either of those two players.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 07 Jan 2024, 4:59 am

Just noticed Kinghorn hasn't been in the Toulouse 23 the last 2 games. Anyone know if he's injured / dropped / rotated?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 07 Jan 2024, 5:55 am

French have had a look at him up close and realised he isn't Ollie Smith.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 07 Jan 2024, 6:03 am

Cam Redpath has apparently signed another 2 year deal at Bath despite strong interest from the SRU. Shame as he could have been the missing link in the Edinburgh midfield.

Wonder what Rory Hutchinson's contract status is...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 07 Jan 2024, 7:59 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67906991

Kinghorn in Toulouse

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 08 Jan 2024, 7:22 am

Not seen it mentioned here, but it may have been missed given the time of year, but the Mail are reporting that Edinburgh have 'firm interest' in signing Jacob Beetham from Cardiff.

Apparently he's eligible for Wales (obviously) England and Scotland, so I suspect this is part of Toonie's eligibility recruitment drive.

Not totally convinced, as things stand, Edinburgh need another FB with Goosen finding form post his run of injuries and with Boff coming back, that's a decent pair of FBs.  Boff apparently loves Edinburgh and doesn't seem to be agitating for a move, but that's no guarantee that if enough cash is stuffed under his nose his head wouldn't be turned.  

With that said, in an interview with Tom English, John McGuigan was making a point about the pro teams needing to have a greater focus on Scottish players in their ranks, so it might be a case of needing to move on non SQ players to get SQ players in.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Jan 2024, 5:41 am

A mixed bag from Glasgow latest injury updates.

Darge, Brown and Vialanu all look like they are out long term, with McBeth also having assessment on a shoulder injury and could be joining them.

Slightly more positive are Dempsey, Fagerson and Steyn who are back into team training now and so can't be to far away.

Certainly good for Scotland 6N prospects.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 09 Jan 2024, 4:37 pm

I don’t know if anyone else noticed but the Ospreys absolutely burnt John Barclay today for his comments on their lorry stand.

https://x.com/ospreys/status/1744660282365087877?s=46

Fair play, that is very funny.

bsando

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next