The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2023 Cricket World Cup

+15
Soul Requiem
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirfredperry
Galted
VTR
eirebilly_01
GSC
wisden
Pal Joey
KP_fan
No name Bertie
alfie
king_carlos
Duty281
19 posters

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 2 Empty The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Post by Duty281 Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:08 am

First topic message reminder :

The ICC apparently changed the Champions Trophy qualification rules in March 2021.

It's just they never told anyone about it, never made a media release, and hence most teams were unaware of the alteration until yesterday.

I'll revise my question from yesterday to: Who on earth makes a change to the qualification format of a supposedly major competition and doesn't bother to tell anyone?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Post by KP_fan Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:27 pm

India's group stages campaign is done
They need to only.focus mentally on semifinal
One game and go in a zone planning for that one game and only that their top order does not collapse
Bat cautiously.don't lose more than 2 wickets in 30 overs
Bowling will take care of itself
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:11 pm

Lanka & Eng's despicable  campaign  is finished
Their big relevance now in this world cup could be  to the cause of greater  humanity by beating NZ and losing to Pak respectively
Bringing joy to a quarter billion Pakistanis and setting up a semi final clash for the ages between Ind and Pak
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:08 am

Rather spectacular implosion by Sri Lanka ! When they fold , they do so in style.

Unfortunately for England , they apparently decided to use up all their good stuff in one match Smile Can't see them offering much threat to NZ in the last round - which might come as welcome relief to the injury-struck Kiwis. Question also being whether Bangladesh will see their game as a possible get out of jail card next round...

Do have to wonder if anyone can stop India at this WC. Suppose it only takes one bad day in a knock out game ; but they really have looked supreme. Everyone else has had at least one shocker which suggests vulnerability.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:05 am

Stokes says he'll have surgery on his knee after the world cup

With about 8 weeks between the world cup and the India series ramping up
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:24 am

GSC wrote:Stokes says he'll have surgery on his knee after the world cup

Just backs up what I thought months ago : foolish to come back for this wretched WC if he was only going to have to go under the knife anyway - now with less recovery time before his next mission. OK he can't have anticipated the mess that was going to happen here ; but you can't do everything despite serious wear and tear and expect your body to co-operate. He was smart to retire from 50 over and should have stuck to it.

alfie

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:28 am

Meanwhile , Netherlands off to a decent start against Afghanistan , 74/2 off 12. Guess the Afghans start favourite here , but the Dutch may not be a pushover.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:51 am

alfie wrote:

Just backs up what I thought months ago : foolish to come back for this wretched WC if he was only going to have to go under the knife anyway - now with less recovery time before his next mission. OK he can't have anticipated the mess that was going to happen here ; but you can't do everything despite serious wear and tear and expect your body to co-operate.  He was smart to retire from 50 over and should have stuck to it.

I really don’t get this line of thinking sorry Alfie - why is it foolish to want to play in what’s likely his final ever World Cup?
He says he should be fine for the India tour anyways. So what difference has coming back made? He’d have just been sat at home…doing nothing and missing out on a final World Cup chance of his career?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

alfie, king_carlos and No name Bertie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:54 am

Also how are we not even close to the end of this group stuff yet my god this tournament has to be the worst sporting World Cup ever
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:07 am

When you do an invasive procedure, you never know what could go wrong and what could take longer than expected to heal.

Stokes should have really  skipped World cup and gone under the knife much sooner given that he has already quit ODIs and tests are his main passion & his country has a dependency on him as a leader in tests.
He can still save 2 weeks and go now instead of waiting until 20th Nov with nothing to gain.

I am a big Stokes fan, both leadership and his ability to manufacture a batting colossus from the direst situation BUT he has erred here by "unretiring" disturbing the balance of ODI side and jeopardizing his main suit tests where his team has considerable dependency on him

Last edited by KP_fan on Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

alfie and No name Bertie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:08 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Also how are we not even close to the end of this group stuff yet my god this tournament has to be the worst sporting World Cup ever
Wait until the 48 team football world cup, that really will be dire!

VTR

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:08 am

I see the Dutch have collapsed. Will be a struggle to even post 200.

Henry's out of the rest of the WC, but has been replaced by Jamieson. Not a bad replacement.

First semi-final is in 12 days. Hang in, Olly, nearly there!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:16 am

With hindsight, yeah a bit of a waste of time bringing Stokes back and delaying the knee surgery.

But as before, if I'm playing a world cup or major series and Ben Stokes is available he's in the XI
GSC
GSC

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:28 am

From 72-1 to 73-2 with brilliant fielding for a run out. Followed by two crazy run outs 92-3 then 92-4. Three consecutive run outs. The last two were just Netherlands throwing wickets away.

Two catches later and we have 113-6.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:39 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:

Just backs up what I thought months ago : foolish to come back for this wretched WC if he was only going to have to go under the knife anyway - now with less recovery time before his next mission. OK he can't have anticipated the mess that was going to happen here ; but you can't do everything despite serious wear and tear and expect your body to co-operate.  He was smart to retire from 50 over and should have stuck to it.

I really don’t get this line of thinking sorry Alfie - why is it foolish to want to play in what’s likely his final ever World Cup?
He says he should be fine for the India tour anyways. So what difference has coming back made? He’d have just been sat at home…doing nothing and missing out on a final World Cup chance of his career?

Probably just my own prejudice , Olly : I rate Test Cricket as way more important than this white ball stuff Smile (Plus I gave England very little chance of success in an Indian WC) But I do think Stokes - by originally retiring from the format - saw it that way too. Besides : since he (A) couldn't bowl so was of rather less value to England in this event ; and (B) presumably knew he was going to need an operation ; it was surely better to get it done early when he'd have proper recovery time before his next gig ?

If he is right about being "fine for the India tour" I will be delighted ; but remaining concerned for now.

The other thing - and I am not just speaking from hindsight here - is that having him come back into the team has served mainly to muddy the waters around team balance and selections. Not suggesting his presence has been responsible for England's disastrous WC - but it clearly hasn't helped much.

Won't be his last WC anyway - a t20 next year will suit him much better. Don't think he will have this campaign high in his scrapbook after he retires...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:41 am

All downhill for the Dutch once that second wicket fell... looking like a pretty easy stroll for Afghanistan to get up to 8 points.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:48 am

To be honest, I couldn't give a toss about the India tour. India must be the worst country to play cricket in. And England's WTC final hopes are already very bleak.

England will probably lose, and even if they manage a test win like last time, we all know India will prepare substandard wickets and the game will be reduced to a farce (Root 5/8!).

180 to get for Afghanistan. They could do with knocking this off in 30 overs, as their NRR is lagging behind NZ and Pak and it will likely only be through NRR that they have a chance of qualification.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:52 am

Is it time for Stokes to retire from all forms of international cricket? Given his condition I suppose he can no longer be considered an all-rounder.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:00 pm

The Netherlands deserve to lose this match handsomely with some inane run-outs.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:02 pm

No name Bertie wrote:Is it time for Stokes to retire from all forms of international cricket? Given his condition I suppose he can no longer be considered an all-rounder.

Going to say no.

JDizzle

alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:27 pm

Duty281 wrote:
England will probably lose, and even if they manage a test win like last time, we all know India will prepare substandard wickets and the game will be reduced to a farce (Root 5/8!).

you are correct...Eng will lose 5-0
BCCI will ensure the pitches are such that not even one goes past India
I wish England Board & ICC could be strong in seeking "balanced" pitches
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:21 pm

Afg will win this and with good boost to NRR

Their ask is tough beat Aus and SA in next 2 games and have a chance to play s.f

Ask of Pak is less tough....beat an on decline NZ and lowest placed Eng

NZ's ask is simplest beat SL and not lose to Pak by a huge margin

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:37 pm

Solid chase from Afghanistan, getting the job done in 31.3 overs and absolutely no alarms.

Four wins for Afghanistan at this World Cup. An amazing achievement, even if they don't get any further, and plenty to build on. Puts them level, for now, with Australia and NZ.

Tomorrow could be a good day for the tournament. Pakistan v NZ up first, then England v Australia. Pakistan and England wins make the semi-final race very interesting (plus it keeps England's flame burning).

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:51 pm

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/saudi-arabia-eyes-stake-30-bln-indian-premier-league-bloomberg-news-2023-11-03/

Here is a piece of news that indicates cricket is fast-tracking itself into a dystopian near future with a high degree of auto-dynamics that market driven phenomenons exude.
IPL valued at USD 30 Billion The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 2 1f631
Saudis will inject 5 to 6 Billion to buy a piece of it

The FC, tests, limited over internationals and other franchisees around the world will just be a supply line into IPL that will have its branches all over gulf and US
(IPL teams already owns all the franchisees in SA)
And led by BCCI  cricket will morph itself into a staged/ choreographed  WWE styled sport
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:19 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Also how are we not even close to the end of this group stuff yet my god this tournament has to be the worst sporting World Cup ever
It feels like years ago that Sachin was talking about his pad buckles during the tournament opener. I was worried the excitement had peaked too early at the time. One of the few predictions I got right.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:07 am

king_carlos wrote:
It feels like years ago that Sachin was talking about his pad buckles during the tournament opener. I was worried the excitement had peaked too early at the time. One of the few predictions I got right.

It has indeed been a bit painful for England fans ! But since the format is exactly the same as 2019 and I didn't hear many complaints then I am not going to grumble about the length of the group stage - though I think it would have been a good idea to have the odd mid-week double header to speed things up.
Pity there haven't been more close games...perhaps the closing stages will make up for that.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:50 am

This is a 330 to 350 pitch ...true bounce, no lateral movement...pak has gone with 4 seamers and 2 part time spinners
NZ have gone with 2 seamers , 2 ful time and 2 partime spinners
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:53 am

This Ravindra lad is a handy addition to the NZ team eh ? Another blistering century has set the Kiwis on the way to a Big Total...

252/2 now with Williamson falling just short of his own hundred ; but with another 15 overs and plenty of batting to come , Pakistan might be regretting choosing to field first.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:07 am

England win the toss (again). And keep the same team (again) and choose to field first (again). Hmm. Still looking for that dew , I guess...

Australia have Green and Stoinis back so still full of all rounders.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:43 am

Short life but a merry one for Travis Head... 11 off nine balls and then edges Woakes to Root at slip. Good start for Chris W and England...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:55 am

Pretty hot out there... England will be glad to have the early wicket but will need to take more or they could be in for a tough afternoon. The SA game might have steered them off trying to bowl in the heat and chase , I'd have thought.

Could this be two out ? No ...Warner saved by umpire's call on field. 27/1 after 4.3 overs.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:56 am

NZ looking to get this to 400... Three overs left , 367/5.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:47 am

Suppose this is the scenario Australia picked Smith and Labuschagne for, rebuilding a platform if both openers fail. Not really going anywhere at the moment though (albeit the mythical 275 par should be rounded down for England's batting)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:53 am

76/2 off the first 16. The two aggressive openers both fallen to Woakes ...Smith and Marnus accumulating now...

Review : has Labuschagne walked in front of his stumps too far ? No...England waste a review . Did look a bit too leg side .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:58 am

I guess the "rebuilding " thing is what England have consistently failed to do throughout this WC : whenever the first couple of wickets have gone down the middle order fellows have either thrown their own away quickly or fiddled about for a while and then got out tamely.  
These two are probably ideal for "plan B " for Australia. If they can take it deep the later bats could cash in against hot and tired England bowlers.

But if England can break this pair soon the absence of Maxwell and Marsh might prove telling...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:10 am

Bringing Moeen on is looking a questionable choice as he's gone for 20 off two overs...

But he's partly made up for that now diving to catch Smith off Rashid for 44 !

113/3 in the 22nd...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:19 am

And now Rashid has done for Inglis ! A poor shot - attempted reverse sweep just flicked it around the corner straight to Moeen. 117/4 and Rashid is on fire with 2/6 from 13 balls...

Aussies in a bit of trouble : England really need to go for the throat now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:35 am

Meanwhile Pakistan are flying...75/1 off ten. But they are still behind the asking rate 😃

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:41 am

Marnus and Green doing a good job here ...35 off six. Rashid on top but the other two spinners have leaked a few more . Might be a good idea to let Wood have a crack at Green before he gets too comfortable?

153/4 off 30.

Ah , he heard me 😃. Here is Wood now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:42 am

Yeah, the spinners just choking Pakistan's scoring, so sensing a big shot or a wicket soon.

A NZ win here would officially knock out Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Netherlands and England, leaving just Afghanistan in the hunt with nine group games left after today.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:48 am

Interesting over ! Two balls cut for four...one popped straight up in the air but neither bowler , keeper , nor close fielders could quite get to it...close shave for Green.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:01 am

Wood might be straining for too much pace...spraying it a bit , three wides this over...Labuschagne helping himself to a few too. But he's gone now ! Trapped dead in front...

Reviewed but surely this is out ? Yes. Wood has his man for a good 71 and Australia lose a review as well. 178/5 after 33...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:03 am

Classy tribute from Labuschagne to Khawaja with that review
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:05 am

You know it's been a rough few weeks when I'm thinking Australia might have enough against England's batting despite them picking 4 bowlers.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:05 am

About to absolutely hammer down in the NZ/Pak game, and Pak are very close to being ahead on DLS...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:06 am

Do you still need 20 overs each for a game
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:08 am

Yes, I believe so, they're about to reach that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:15 am

63-ball ton for Fakhar. Some monster sixes in that knock to keep Pakistan alive.

20 overs reached. I think Pakistan are ahead, but a wicket can alter all that. 152/1.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:21 am

The rain is starting...

The DLS is 150 at this point, Pakistan are on 160. So if they don't get back on Pakistan will win.

Of course, even if Pakistan do win, it will still only be a total of eight points each for NZ/Pakistan with NZ having a higher NRR. NZ's last game is against SL, Pakistan's is v England. NZ would still have the advantage, although Pakistan's last game is played after NZ's last game, so Pakistan would go into the England game with the knowledge of precisely what they need to do to qualify.

Although the table might get a little more complicated if Australia lose today, or if Afghanistan manage to turn over another team before the World Cup ends.

Last edited by Duty281 on Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Duty281

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:42 am

England's fielding has been better today to be fair. In most games it's felt like a majority of the team are fielders that the better sides would hide at mid-on or 45. The ground fielding, cutting off boundaries, ease with which sides are turning 1s into 2s, etc has been really poor by and large. It's been better today though.

I'm still not confident in this out of form top 6 chasing anything over 250 mind. Small mercies though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:49 am

Classic Adil Rashid figures today. 194 ODI wickets, so might fall just short of reaching 200 in his career which would be a shame.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next