The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York?

4 posters

Go down

New York? Empty New York?

Post by JAS Thu 09 Nov 2023, 11:48 am

In the early stages of planning a New York trip next October half term. Probably 5-6 days and ideally 2-3 rounds. I'd love to play daily but with a non golfing partner who cut's me a fair bit of slack I can't take the P.

The big want is to play Bethpage Black. Any other top 100 in the area (within a 2 hr drive) would be a bonus.

Has anybody else been? Also if defo playing Bethpage, would it be better to stay around Farmingdale and commute into the city for sightseeing bits or stay in the city and commute out to BP for the golf?

JAS

Back to top Go down

New York? Empty Re: New York?

Post by superflyweight Thu 09 Nov 2023, 1:16 pm

Coincidentally, I'm just back from New York as Mrs Superfly was running the marathon there on Sunday. Can't provide any golfing tips other than to say one of mates who used to live on Long Island has played Bethpage Black and confirmed that it is 'nails'.

Other than that, I suggest for the sake of your relationship that you stay in Manhattan and travel out for the golf. Getting round the city to see all the sights takes long enough without also adding a major commute into the schedule as well.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 09 Nov 2023, 1:51 pm

superflyweight wrote:Coincidentally, I'm just back from New York as Mrs Superfly was running the marathon there on Sunday.  Can't provide any golfing tips other than to say one of mates who used to live on Long Island has played Bethpage Black and confirmed that it is 'nails'.  

Other than that, I suggest for the sake of your relationship that you stay in Manhattan and travel out for the golf.  Getting round the city to see all the sights takes long enough without also adding a major commute into the schedule as well.  

Good for her Super, did it all go well?

Good point re in or out although I was also thinking about what one would get hotel wise, in the city or out of the city bang for buck. e.g. out of the city in a spa hotel versus broome cupboard in prime city location. How far out time wise is Farmingdale?

I was also expecting a Shinnecock or Oakmont invite from somewhere...hey even Pine Valley, I know that's Penn but it's just about still less then a 2 hour drive (I think)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 09 Nov 2023, 2:12 pm

JAS wrote:
superflyweight wrote:Coincidentally, I'm just back from New York as Mrs Superfly was running the marathon there on Sunday.  Can't provide any golfing tips other than to say one of mates who used to live on Long Island has played Bethpage Black and confirmed that it is 'nails'.  

Other than that, I suggest for the sake of your relationship that you stay in Manhattan and travel out for the golf.  Getting round the city to see all the sights takes long enough without also adding a major commute into the schedule as well.  

Good for her Super, did it all go well?

Good point re in or out although I was also thinking about what one would get hotel wise, in the city or out of the city bang for buck. e.g. out of the city in a spa hotel versus broome cupboard in prime city location. How far out time wise is Farmingdale?

I was also expecting a Shinnecock or Oakmont invite from somewhere...hey even Pine Valley,  I know that's Penn but it's just about still less then a 2 hour drive (I think)

It did, she wasn't aiming for a PB this time as she'd done limited training for this one due to an achilles injury, but she did pretty well all the same. It was warm and the course is tough so there were a lot of people struggling.

I take your point regarding the quality of hotel and getting 'bang for your buck'. Our hotel in mid-town was expensive and its fair to say that it had seen better days!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 09 Nov 2023, 3:06 pm

JAS wrote:I was also expecting a Shinnecock or Oakmont invite from somewhere...hey even Pine Valley,  I know that's Penn but it's just about still less then a 2 hour drive (I think)
I believe Pine Valley is in New Jersey. But if you are thinking about going that far, how about asking Shotrock? He was extremely helpful to me when I went to watch a PGA Tournament at his club Aronimink, which is north west of Philadelphia. 80+ miles as the crow flies........

I'm never wrong

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 01 Dec 2023, 8:04 pm

JAS wrote:In the early stages of planning a New York trip next October half term. Probably 5-6 days and ideally 2-3 rounds. I'd love to play daily but with a non golfing partner who cut's me a fair bit of slack I can't take the P.

The big want is to play Bethpage Black. Any other top 100 in the area (within a 2 hr drive) would be a bonus.

Has anybody else been? Also if defo playing Bethpage, would it be better to stay around Farmingdale and commute into the city for sightseeing bits or stay in the city and commute out to BP for the golf?

Hi Jas !
Sounds like a fun trip you’re planning.  I think Mr. Superfly is right -  better to stay in the city and commute to farmingdale.  It’s somewhere between 30 mins and an hour on the Long Island Rail Road.  I believe there’s also a Bethpage stop but I think frequency of trains is better at farmingdale.  Then get a taxi from the station.  Hotel-wise I don't think of Long Island as having spa hotels etc.  There are chain hotels (holiday inn etc) and there are some others that cater for weddings/functions (those all seem to look the same) but nothing appealing unless you go further east into the farming /vineyard areas where there are some older inns, b&bs etc.  By then you’d be too far out to do the sightseeing in the city.  
We used to live in Rockville Centre which is about 30 mins from the city on the LIRR and we go back occasionally for family stuff.  When we do that we stay at the Hampton Inn Hilton in Rockville Centre.  It’s convenient for the LIRR and there are loads of bars/restaurants.  Trains to the city are frequent and run until late.  Something like that might be better value than a broom cupboard in the city, but of course you’d have to factor in the train tickets too.  Could be worth doing some googling around that.  
Bethpage Black is a terrific course. We used to love going out, getting twilight rates (which were ridiculously cheap for NYS residents) and playing until dark.  It doesn’t come back after nine  holes so we’d generally take a torch with us to get back !  

Feel free to ask any questions !  thumbsup

Plunky

superflyweight and LadyPutt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down