The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

+30
hugehandoff
George Carlin
Recwatcher16
Tramptastic
Lowlandbrit
TJ
BigGee
bsando
king_carlos
propdavid_london
RiscaGame
TAFKA The Oracle
carpet baboon
mikey_dragon
Duty281
dummy_half
Poorfour
nlpnlp
Mr Bounce
lostinwales
Cumbrian
doctor_grey
Yoda
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
Margin_Walker
Rugby Fan
mountain man
No 7&1/2
Geordie
34 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

Post by Geordie Sat 16 Dec 2023, 7:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

2 tries for Hartley at 12 .

Fdjour decent first scrum then missed some tackles etc.
Sales two wingers Reed and Roebuck were very impressive....

Bath v Cardiff now...lots of potential England options here.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

Post by Cumbrian Fri 12 Jan 2024, 9:49 pm

I think Freeman laid down a statement (albeit against disinterested opposition), he could (and should) be a boon for Borthwick.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 12 Jan 2024, 9:50 pm

Freeman has to be a starter...simple as that...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 12 Jan 2024, 10:31 pm

Doesn't matter where Freeman starts he just has to start.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 12 Jan 2024, 11:50 pm

Geordie wrote:7.5s going to have a heart attack when Furbanks picked for thw England squad.

Had to laugh at the interview he gave re a Dave given him grief as that may be the name behind the number. Rang true though that I've never really had too much concern over the skillset but more his mental fortitude which seems backed up by the quotes. Last weekend he went to pot quickly after an early mistake and that's still the thing that concerns me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 12 Jan 2024, 11:53 pm

Re Freeman and a host of others... they're putting their hands up and they really need to be picked and supported to excel. Re Healeys point that you could pick the Northampton backline bar 1 or 4 as he would actually pick...you need to play the right way. You can't pick these guys and just ask them to watch the ball sail kver their heads for 80 mins. Here's hoping that a few coaches go down with having to turn ip for births or something and suddenly Vesty has to step in and coach the full team.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 13 Jan 2024, 3:03 am

Geordie wrote:7.5s going to have a heart attack when Furbanks picked for thw England squad.

Rugby Analyst has included Furbank as a full back in his training squad.

His back three choices are Cokanasigna, Furbank, Steward, Radwan, and Watson, with Daly as a utility back. He's picked Freeman as a centre.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 13 Jan 2024, 7:38 am

I'd have Lawrence 12 Freeman 13. Despite his excellent form for Saints I do worry about Furbank but it's only fair to pick on form.
It's seems highly likely he'll be in announced squad anyway.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 13 Jan 2024, 7:54 am

9 Mitchell
10 Marcus (Fin on the bench)
11 Radwan
12 Dingwall
13 Lawrence
14 Freeman (Roving all over)
15 Steward

Murley injured I think or is he back again. Sleightholme in the squad also.

I think we're 6 months to a season out from having our 12. I think it could be Hartley...if he develops correctly at Saracens.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 13 Jan 2024, 8:07 am

Seriously I think you can forget Radwan being in. I just can't see it happening.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 13 Jan 2024, 8:45 am

Of course Radwan won't be in he's too good for England.
It'll probably be Daly...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 13 Jan 2024, 9:00 am

Geordie wrote:9 Mitchell
11 Radwan
12 Dingwall
13 Lawrence
15 Steward

I think we're 6 months to a season out from having our 12. I think it could be Hartley...if he develops correctly at Saracens.

I'd be tempted to go with;

9. Mitchell
10. F Smith
11. Freeman
12. Dingwall
13. Lawrence
14. Roebuck
15. Steward

21. Warr 22. M Smith 23. Slade

If I was to pick on form but that is a very green backline. Steward at not long turned 23 being easily the most capped player. I suspect they'll need a little more experience in there somewhere though the first game is Vs Italy and with Slade and M Smith bringing nearly 90 caps of experience off the bench if we need it and a midfield leader in Dingwall plus a strong club connection across 9/10/12 we might be able to make it work.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 13 Jan 2024, 9:11 am

Yes Sam if that backline was to stsrt v Italy I would be very happy.

Geordie

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 13 Jan 2024, 11:17 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
11 Radwan
12 Dingwall
13 Lawrence
15 Steward

9. Mitchell
10. F Smith
11. Freeman
12. Dingwall
13. Lawrence
14. Roebuck
15. Steward

If I was to pick on form but that is a very green backline. Steward at not long turned 23 being easily the most capped player. I suspect they'll need a little more experience in there somewhere though the first game is Vs Italy and with Slade and M Smith bringing nearly 90 caps of experience off the bench if we need it and a midfield leader in Dingwall plus a strong club connection across 9/10/12 we might be able to make it work.

I thought your backline was set to feature more stolen Welsh players....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 13 Jan 2024, 11:32 am

Tompkins and Williams are due to join up later.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 13 Jan 2024, 12:27 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
11 Radwan
12 Dingwall
13 Lawrence
15 Steward

9. Mitchell
10. F Smith
11. Freeman
12. Dingwall
13. Lawrence
14. Roebuck
15. Steward

I thought your backline was set to feature more stolen Welsh players....

Nothing worth stealing from Wales is there? Run

More a focus on capping the in form talent that also qualifies for Scotland.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 13 Jan 2024, 9:17 pm

Walker having really good game for Quin's.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 14 Jan 2024, 8:36 am

I watched Quins v Cardiff and Care, Smith, Dombrandt, Walker and Chisolm all had really good game. Have to factor in opposition as it turned out to be a bit of a rout but can only play team in front of you.

Smith is a definite for Eng squad of course and quite probably Care but others should give food for thought to Borthwick. Do I have my doubts over Dombrandt for Eng again? Most definitley but he did have a good game.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 14 Jan 2024, 9:43 am

Will Evans had a good game, too. Though he might be deemed a bit small for international rugby, he carried, tackled and jackalled very effectively against a pretty strong Cardiff back row
Poorfour
Poorfour

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 14 Jan 2024, 11:04 am

I don't think Will Evans has been seen as to small I think it's a double blow of significant injuries at unfortunate times and there being a lot of competition at openside. He's in great form again and if the injury curse doesn't strike has a great chance of making the squad.

Care might well be in the squad as an experienced option though hopefully phased out as the younger guys push through. Sadly it doesn't look like JVP will recover in time though he is back training so could be back next week it probably isn't enough time.

Dombrant, it's always the same story. Looks good at club level then gets to international level and looks to be lacking the physicality to make a difference. Whether he can change that round this time I'm not sure, depends whether Borthwick offers him yet another chance. There were questions over his fitness last 6N where he didn't finish a game despite there being no like for like 8 in the 23.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 11:14 am

Tbf Borthwock is going down the route of playing no number 8.

I come back to don't expect guys who play for Northampton,Harlequins etc to have the same influence and impact they do for their clubs as that's not what is being asked of them.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 11:32 am

Lynagh had a really good game off the bench.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 14 Jan 2024, 11:48 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Lynagh had a really good game off the bench.

Hard to tell really as by time he got on Cardiff were done and dusted. Likewise C-CS, I'd have liked to seen him on earlier.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:11 pm

Alfie Barbeary just got a yellow card when it could easily have been red card.

If that gets reassessed by the citing commissioner, it'll be the worst possible timing for his Six Nations squad chances.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:30 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Alfie Barbeary just got a yellow card when it could easily have been red card.

If that gets reassessed by the citing commissioner, it'll be the worst possible timing for his Six Nations squad chances.

It looked a red to me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:38 pm

Yeah should have been a red...but surely he is SBs first choice target for 8 moving Earl to the flank.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:40 pm

Poorfour wrote:Will Evans had a good game, too. Though he might be deemed a bit small for international rugby, he carried, tackled and jackalled very effectively against a pretty strong Cardiff back row

Speaking of 7s....would you include Pepper in the A game?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:48 pm

2 reds in the same game. He's out of the tournament for a long time.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:49 pm

Aw well guess Barbeary won't be England 8 lol

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:51 pm

Shame as he's the only 8 that really suits Borthwick and was probably the best player on the pitch...albeit he should have been off the pitch.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 14 Jan 2024, 3:00 pm

The citing commissioner could review both those offences as red. In practice, that rarely happens, which might help Barbeary escape a longer ban.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 3:06 pm

6 matches...maybe halved..3 games? Would make the 6n bit would not be match fit....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 4:09 pm

Rumours Sinckler on his way to Toulon with immediate or near immediate effect ..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 4:38 pm

Not good news if true.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 4:49 pm

Ah I'm not sure. He's not the old player at Quins, hasn't been since his move to Bristol. But it does mean we're low on experience.

Painter might get promoted from the A game then...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 4:52 pm

Still our best tight head. Starting to get a bit concerning how many players don't want to play for England.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 14 Jan 2024, 4:55 pm

Sinckler is miles off player he was 2-3 years ago. He went through a really poor patch of form pre RWC and I hoped he'd improve but if anything got worse. Coupled with a demeanour which looks like he can't be bothered and it's not been great.
I don't think a big loss being honest.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 14 Jan 2024, 4:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Still our best tight head. Starting to get a bit concerning how many players don't want to play for England.

Well again being brutally honest if they don't want to play and give 100% for England then let them go. Give the place to someone who really wants it and is determined to make it.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 5:02 pm

Like Wales. Seems to be working for them tbf.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 5:03 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Still our best tight head. Starting to get a bit concerning how many players don't want to play for England.

Nah hasn't been for along time...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 5:04 pm

mountain man wrote:

Well again being brutally honest if they don't want to play and give 100% for England then let them go. Give the place to someone who really wants it and is determined to make it.

Or maybe he's been told his not involved...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 5:05 pm

Geordie wrote:
mountain man wrote:

Could well be. Wouldn't be the first mistake Borthwick has made. Won't be the last. Or maybe Harrison has decided he's a loosehead.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 5:14 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Geordie wrote:
mountain man wrote:

Could well be. Wouldn't be the first mistake Borthwick has made. Won't be the last. Or maybe Harrison has decided he's a loosehead.

Be a very good decision...he's not the same player..poor..rhe mistake would be keeping him in.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 5:17 pm

So if he appears it's a mistake by Borthwick then. Fair enough.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 5:19 pm

Not according to you as you love Sinckler ..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 5:23 pm

No. Its a mistake from your perspective. Yeah for me Sinckler is our best tighthead as I say above. He is underutilised by the current structure though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Jan 2024, 6:00 pm

Good to see the same high quality discourse as the previous England thread. Regretting posting in here after Mako retired now.

RF/mods, is it possible to remove a thread you've posted in from the "MyPosts" link? Asking for a colleague.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 14 Jan 2024, 6:45 pm

Sorry KC just can't stop when 7.5 posts his drivel...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 6:53 pm

Uncalled for again Geordie. Saying Sinckler is our best tighthead isn't nonsense at all. Questioning whether we can afford to maintain the ban on selecting foreign based players isn't illogical given the growing number either.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 14 Jan 2024, 6:58 pm

Sinckler is out of contract with Bristol at the end of the season. He's not looked remotely like good value for money as he's rumoured to be on around £475k a season. I imagine he's been told he's not going to get close to that on renewal and his agent is struggling to find interest at that level in the Prem. He's 30 years old, 31 by the end of the season, so he's got one big contract left in all probability. Would make sense for him to look at a move to France on a three year deal and maximise his earnings.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 14 Jan 2024, 7:01 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Uncalled for again Geordie. Saying Sinckler is our best tighthead isn't nonsense at all. Questioning whether we can afford to maintain the ban on selecting foreign based players isn't illogical given the growing number either.

Sinckler isn't our best tighthead and wasn't first choice at the world cup.

We've got several younger options coming through. Heyes, Painter, Stuart are all playing regularly. Cole, Collier and Davison are all still around and available.

Ending the ban on selecting foreign based players is effectively calling open season on the Prem's best talent and will start a war between the PRL and the RFU.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next