The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland vs England | The Calcutta Cup

+34
TAFKA The Oracle
neilthom7
Collapse2005
miltonkeynesengland
Duty281
Heaf
George Carlin
Poorfour
TJ
EWT Spoons
Mcsweens
Yoda
doctor_grey
king_carlos
Barney McGrew did it
WELL-PAST-IT
carpet baboon
tigertattie
Recwatcher16
Highland Shaun
BigGee
lostinwales
hugehandoff
formerly known as Sam
jimbopip
mountain man
No 7&1/2
Mr Bounce
Geordie
Tramptastic
RDW
Hazel Sapling
NeilyBroon
bsando
38 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Scotland vs England | The Calcutta Cup - Page 2 Empty Scotland vs England | The Calcutta Cup

Post by bsando Tue 20 Feb 2024, 10:03 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland vs England

Saturday 24th February 2024
Venue: Murrayfield 
Kick-off: 4:45pm
Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
TV Coverage: Live on BBC (UK) and Virgin Media (ROI)

Teams

Scotland 

Kinghorn, Steyn, Jones, Tuipulotu, Van der Merwe, Russell (co-capt), White; Schoeman, Turner, Fagerson, Gilchrist, Cummings, Ritchie, Darge (co-capt), Dempsey.
Replacements: Ashman, Hepburn, Skinner, Christie, Horne, Healy, Redpath.

England 

Furbank; Freeman, Slade, Lawrence, Daly; Ford, Care; Genge, George (capt), Cole, Itoje, Chessum, Roots, Underhill, Earl.
Replacements: Dan, Marler, Stuart, Martin, Cunningham-South, Spencer, F Smith, Feyi-Waboso.

Last edited by bsando on Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs England | The Calcutta Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland vs England | The Calcutta Cup

Post by mountain man Thu 22 Feb 2024, 10:51 am

I'd go for Roots Earl and C-CS backrow. Lawrence in at 12. Yeah think back 3 be same. I wonder though if he'll start Manu at 12 and have Lawrence bench. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs England | The Calcutta Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland vs England | The Calcutta Cup

Post by jimbopip Thu 22 Feb 2024, 11:13 am

jimbopip wrote:England to grind out an ugly win.

Assuming no injuries, the team pretty much picks itself;

Schooey-Turner-Ragnar
GG-Cummings
Fagerson-Dempsey-Darge
White
Dancer
Huipulotu
DVDM-Blarehorn-RoweSeaman

Bench; Hepburn-Ashman-Mick The Miller, Principal, Christie,Crosbie, Hornito, Lord Stafford Of McDowall

Given the amount of media gush the SRU are devoting to the new daddy I think he will start on the wing. seaman is always solid at the back and streaks over the whitewash more often than you might think.
I still think he'll go with a 6/2 bench with either Rowe covering the back three or Stafford covering 13 and Shug moving back to 15 if Dancer gets injured. Stafford often defends at 12 with Wee Shona outside him and I think they are slightly better suited to blunting a one dimensional attack such as England's.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 22 Feb 2024, 1:34 pm

Scotland team is out!!
1=15 is as above but it's a 5/3 bench Christie is the back row replacement, no Crosbie...and Hornito, Henry Healey and Cam redpath are the backs replacements.

oh and Tramptastic is on a final warning raspberry

FECC ME!!! I misread the team...Mbawza is in instead of Matt Fagerson. Shocked

Let's hope Mr Brace has lots of spare yellow cards in his pockets.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 22 Feb 2024, 2:26 pm

Ritchie has zero form, how is he starting??

Other than that, quite happy with that side, shame Rowe is dropped completely, Steyn is a very classy player though

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 22 Feb 2024, 2:33 pm

I actually thought JR, unlike most if the Edinburgh team, played pretty well last weekend.

Hopefully the gentle kick up the ar£e will have worked the trick!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 2:36 pm

England seem to be written off for this match, which for all of Scotland's supposed attacking dominance have won the last three games by less than a score.
Brace tends to pull England up for soft technical penalties but has to be better than some of the SH refs in recent games.
I would be confident England's defence will go up a notch, remains to be seen if enough, but have seen Russell get shut down by Premiership sides this season. The English attack is clearly work in progress but would assume Lawrence and/or Tuliagi will provide a better focal point. Looking forward to watching CC-S coming off the bench and hopefully making an impact.
The game is shaping up nicely.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:02 pm

Brace will be better but then again look who is TMO....

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:03 pm

ooo la la. Steward dropped completely.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:03 pm

Furbank in!!!!!!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:04 pm

I know, Furbank at 15 and Steward not in 23. Is he injured or is this a tactical masterstroke?

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:09 pm

England team to play Scotland
G Furbank; T Freeman, H Slade, O Lawrence, E Daly; G Ford, D Care; E Genge, J George, D Cole, M Itoje, O Chessum, E Roots, S Underhill, B Earl

Replacements: T Dan, J Marler, W Stuart, G Martin, C Cunningham-South, B Spencer, F Smith, I Feyi-Waboso

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:11 pm

To be fair, Furbank has been very impressive this season. He deserves a second chance...and he will add alot at Full back.

Steward must have a niggle i would have thought though.

And i really ghope they all come off the bench early enough...thats some serious impact if they do

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:13 pm

The Furbank selection makes little sense to me. I am pleased he is playing, but I thought he should have started against Italy and Wales. Away against Scotland with new combinations, tactics, defence, coaches to be his first start in this 6Ns etc?? Steward we know is quality, especially in defence, but we do need to see what Burbank can offer and especially in attack.

Does this mean we will be prepared to counter attack? Little point picking him otherwise?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:16 pm

Is Cole England’s best tighthead? And what has Bhatti done wrong since the World Cup? Saying that, Schoe and Fagerson are consistently playing 60+ mins most games. Hepburn looks like he has potential but feels weird that he’s walked into the side ahead of a seasoned international. 

Not too bothered with Ritchie starting, his opposite number is probably my favourite England player, so I’m relishing that battle. On Underhill, his cameo off the bench in 2018 resulted in a yellow card and then the loss. I have a feeling he may show up in a big way on Saturday.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:17 pm

BBC report says Steward fit to play so Furbank in is tactical.

Assume Daly to 15 then if Furbank goes off.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:17 pm

fvck

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:20 pm

mountain man wrote:BBC report says Steward fit to play so Furbank in is tactical.

Assume Daly to 15 then if Furbank goes off.

Or Freeman. Would trust Slade more there tbh and he played full back 3 or 4 times for Jones.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:24 pm

Borthwick must have looked at the weather, which for February in Edinburgh looks pretty benign.  A swirling high ball in Murrayfield is not for the faint hearted.
My brother in law is a debenture holder and I got his ticket for the 2020 match when Genge went route one and I think scored the only try. The weather was biblically terrible that evening. Furbank is certainly a skilful footballer so perhaps this is his time.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:25 pm

And no Manu in 23 which has got somewhat overlooked with all fuss of Furbank in.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:26 pm

bsando wrote:Is Cole England’s best tighthead? And what has Bhatti done wrong since the World Cup? Saying that, Schoe and Fagerson are consistently playing 60+ mins most games. Hepburn looks like he has potential but feels weird that he’s walked into the side ahead of a seasoned international. 

Not too bothered with Ritchie starting, his opposite number is probably my favourite England player, so I’m relishing that battle. On Underhill, his cameo off the bench in 2018 resulted in a yellow card and then the loss. I have a feeling he may show up in a big way on Saturday.

Hes not been at his best but hopefully finds his feet against the Scots...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:29 pm

Gotta feel for Rowe but especially Paterson. Boy had a great game a fortnight ago and he’s dropped entirely. Blairhorn is a good international fullback though so the coaches had probably said to Paterson “just you have fun out there son, you’re just keeping the shirt warm for Blair coming back”
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:30 pm

Well we can't complain about Borthwick being too conservative etc then moan when he does something unexpected I suppose.
Furbank in will or should help attack.

I hope subs get on with a chance to do something. No 5 mins cameos when game done. Unless England are 20 points up....

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:31 pm

mountain man wrote:Well we can't complain about Borthwick being too conservative etc then moan when he does something unexpected I suppose.

I hope subs get on with a chance to do something. No 5 mins cameos when game done. Unless England are 20 points up....

I can moan about the tactics tbf until he's not as risk averse. He continues down the same path and it's just wasting development time of a set of exciting players.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:31 pm

How many games has Lawrence played 12 for bath this season?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:34 pm

Not sure he has any starts there. Hadn't by 21st Jan anyway in the prem.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:36 pm

Lawrence looks like he could be an outstanding 13. Would have liked to see him and Dingwall together

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:39 pm

Slade and Lawrence will interchange on plays i have no doubt.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:40 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
mountain man wrote:Well we can't complain about Borthwick being too conservative etc then moan when he does something unexpected I suppose.

I can moan about the tactics tbf until he's not as risk averse. He continues down the same path and it's just wasting development time of a set of exciting players.

Well Furbank at 15 hints to me there will be a change. I guess we'll see on Saturday.

Also how oppositIon play will also affect what tactics a team adopts. Key is for a team to adapt during a game, something England are very poor at!

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:40 pm

We'll see with Furbank, but Steward has been a bright spot in the first two games. Running from deep he was causing real problems from Wales and of course he catches everything.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:50 pm

mountain man wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Well Furbank at 15 hints to me there will be a change. I guess we'll see on Saturday.

Also how oppositIon play will also affect what tactics a team adopts. Key is for a team to adapt during a game, something England are very poor at!

Will love it if we do. Bored senseless from this team since 2020.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:53 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Not sure he has any starts there. Hadn't by 21st Jan anyway in the prem.

Played for Bath at 12 on the 21st Vs Toulouse as you sort suggest. Played twice there for England in the summer Vs Chile and Wales.

Not sure it's his best position but we'll see how they utilise him.

Furbank in is an interesting call, hopefully it means he's going to stand at first receiver instead of Slade who's been a bit meh in that department. Could also suggest we are looking to play a little wider (not massive just one pass for the forwards) and try to work those Scottish tight five forwards hard. The bench isn't as good as the starting options.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:55 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
mountain man wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Will love it if we do. Bored senseless from this team since 2020.

Well to be honest no-one is forcing you to watch them.
And don't say "they're my team I have to" because if watching England under Borthwick is that bad for you and it appears it's REALLY bad just go do something else on the day.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 3:56 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Not sure he has any starts there. Hadn't by 21st Jan anyway in the prem.

Played for Bath at 12 on the 21st Vs Toulouse as you sort suggest. Played twice there for England in the summer Vs Chile and Wales.

Not sure it's his best position but we'll see how they utilise him.

Furbank in is an interesting call, hopefully it means he's going to stand at first receiver instead of Slade who's been a bit meh in that department. Could also suggest we are looking to play a little wider (not massive just one pass for the forwards) and try to work those Scottish tight five forwards hard. The bench isn't as good as the starting options.

Complete fluke as I was lifting it from a stat I'd seen.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 4:04 pm

Nice to see Spencer in the squad, who like Care fell out of favour with Jones. He also has the inside track on Russell too which can't be a bad thing either.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 22 Feb 2024, 4:09 pm

Not what I was expecting, what is the reason for swapping the starting props and bench props?

Furbank is an interesting choice, he will add a bit more fizz to the attack, great to see if we get some time for Fin Smith with Furbank playing they work very well for Saints.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 22 Feb 2024, 4:57 pm

Jeez, just as well Lawrence has replaced Dingwall, otherwise that could well have been the least scary back line England has ever put out. Pressure will be on Scotland as they could run through that lot at will (well around it anyways).
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 22 Feb 2024, 5:26 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Not what I was expecting, what is the reason for swapping the starting props and bench props?
I did that when offering what I'd have picked in the England thread.

My logic being that Schoe is a quality LH, so matching Cole up against him in the scrum makes sense. Whilst Marler can hopefully pressure either a tiring Fagerson or Millar-Mills off the bench. The drop off from Scotland's starting TH to sub is significantly bigger than Genge to Marler. Fagerson has played 69 (tehe) and 80 minutes in R1 and 2. Trying to force an earlier substitution there by pressuring Zander is a decent tactic IMO.

Manu for IFW and Steward for Furbank were the other differences I think. Manu as I thought a specialist centre who can carry would leave them less exposed to Lawrence getting injured and having a 12.Slade 13.Daly midfield. My thinking was Steward shifting to the wing with Slade dropping back to FB if needed though, which isn't on the cards with Steward dropped!

Furbank adds the extra playmaker at 15 that they trialled through Smith in the RWC and warmups. His Saints form has been terrific this season but his England performances until now have been average to dire. Kinghorn/Duhey/Steyn is a big ol' back three he's been recalled against.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 22 Feb 2024, 6:41 pm

I'm not really worried about Furbank defensively.  He is generally good and pretty gutty fielding kicks.  Freeman is there on the wing and, at 6' 4" and having a lot of fullback experience will cover just fine (if Furbank was not on Saints, Freeman would play there more).  Even Daly can help a little bit from the other wing.  

The question, as ever with England over the past 3-4 years, is whether this can jump start the offense.  Frankly, there is no way to know until Saturday.  If the game plan does not change to enable a playmaker from 15, then we could play a cloned Jason Robinson back there and it won't mean a thing.  

And, yes, the time to try this already passed, ffs.

More concerning for me is the bench with quite limited flexibility for the back line in case of injury. And, really no flexibility at all (or purpose) if the game stays close and Fin and IFW don't have a decent run. And to me Spencer is just benefiting from having Russell as his stand off.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Feb 2024, 8:29 pm

Underwhelmed with the Scotland bench again, which has been a real weak spot for us. Healy is a wasted spot unless Finn gets injured.

Ritchie a big call but he's a big game player.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Thu 22 Feb 2024, 8:34 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I'm not really worried about Furbank defensively.  He is generally good and pretty gutty fielding kicks.  Freeman is there on the wing and, at 6' 4" and having a lot of fullback experience will cover just fine (if Furbank was not on Saints, Freeman would play there more).  Even Daly can help a little bit from the other wing.  

The question, as ever with England over the past 3-4 years, is whether this can jump start the offense.  Frankly, there is no way to know until Saturday.  If the game plan does not change to enable a playmaker from 15, then we could play a cloned Jason Robinson back there and it won't mean a thing.  

More concerning for me is the bench with quite limited flexibility for the back line in case of injury.  And, really no flexibility at all (or purpose) if the game stays close and Fin and IFW don't have a decent run.   And to me Spencer is just benefiting from having Russell as his stand off.  

There are options to rearrange the back line. Freeman can play 13 and fullback. Lawrence can play 12, 13 and has played on the wing for England during a match ( pretty sure he has) and Daly can play and has played 13 and 15 too.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 22 Feb 2024, 9:21 pm

Yoda wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:I'm not really worried about Furbank defensively.  He is generally good and pretty gutty fielding kicks.  Freeman is there on the wing and, at 6' 4" and having a lot of fullback experience will cover just fine (if Furbank was not on Saints, Freeman would play there more).  Even Daly can help a little bit from the other wing.  

More concerning for me is the bench with quite limited flexibility for the back line in case of injury.  And, really no flexibility at all (or purpose) if the game stays close and Fin and IFW don't have a decent run.   And to me Spencer is just benefiting from having Russell as his stand off.  

There are options to rearrange the back line. Freeman can play 13 and fullback. Lawrence can play 12, 13 and has played on the wing for England during a match ( pretty sure he has) and Daly can play and has played 13 and 15 too.
I get you - went through those same permutations myself when I was writing my piece.  For one sub we may have to re-jigger the entire back line in a game which will likely (hopefully?) be fairly close.  And with a offense not really performing attacking Rugby well last week and Borthwick wouldn't pull the trigger to put in a more dynamic attacking threat (we hope at this level).  But I certainly want to see IFW get a chance to earn his stripes.  Fin too.  

The sub I expect in the back line if the game is outside 30 points or so, would be IFW for Furbank, and blimey Daly moved to the back.  The smarter move would be Freeman to the back, but I'm not sure if IFW plays on the right side.

A question is whether anyone thinks Borthwick would do this against Scotland with Marcus Smith if healthy?  Scotland ain't Fiji or Chile.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 22 Feb 2024, 9:46 pm

RDW wrote:Underwhelmed with the Scotland bench again, which has been a real weak spot for us.

I think that's where England are going to target. Furbank has attacking attributes but he's also got a good kicking game. England like to have the 10 and 15 in the backfield so it would seem likely to be less contesting of kicks and more moving the Scotland pack around. Try to keep Scotland in their own half force Scotland to kick to touch to relieve the pressure. That element of the tactics worked less last year (it was about the only bit). Work the Scottish pack hard and then use the English bench which is not such a drop off from the starters to apply pressure as Scotland tire or go to the bench.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 23 Feb 2024, 8:26 am

England cannot rely on beating Scotland just by use of subs though, that's a dangerous game. The game could be done by time they get on! Think most of us want to see more intent from England, I reckon saw more in first 20mins against Italy than have for some time. Obviously Wales game was hampered somewhat by playing with 13 for a time but I really want to see England play to win not play to not lose.
It has to be a balanced approach and I'm certain that'll be case under Borthwick, at least it definitely won't be all out guns blazing attack but selection of Furbank hints at something a bit more.
I assume Scottish concern of bench is forwards not backs but I want to see England backs get time off bench as well.
Usual caveats apply to all this as a card or key injury could throw everything out.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 23 Feb 2024, 9:20 am

It will be interesting to see if Furbank and Freeman can play off Ford like they do Fin Smith, Freeman comes hard on the inside and Furbank on the outside, giving Smith two options and whichever receiver a chance to offload to the other, Dingwall also runs dummy lines to give Furbank an either side pass as well. It works well for Saints, can England translate it into their attack? Lawrence should pose more of a threat in that way than Dingwall.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 23 Feb 2024, 9:24 am

Well Fin Smith on bench so that could be masterplan in second half. Get the "All Saints" singing from same hymn sheet.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Fri 23 Feb 2024, 9:32 am

mountain man wrote:Well Fin Smith on bench so that could be masterplan in second half. Get the "All Saints" singing from same hymn sheet.

You think? Let's just say their club colours aren't the only origins Fin and Fraser have in common. I take it you've never seen The Manchurian Candidate?
Wait til the pipes start up. That's all I'm able to say. I've already said too much.

Mcsweens

Luckless Pedestrian and doctor_grey like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Fri 23 Feb 2024, 9:33 am

Mcsweens wrote:
mountain man wrote:Well Fin Smith on bench so that could be masterplan in second half. Get the "All Saints" singing from same hymn sheet.

You think? Let's just say their club colours aren't the only origins Fin and Fraser have in common. I take it you've never seen The Manchurian Candidate?
Wait til the pipes start up. You'll see how deep the conspiracy goes. That's all I'm able to say. I've already said too much.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Feb 2024, 9:33 am

I (like most Scots) are probably quite pessimistic about this one, which hasn't been helped by the stats Tom English has been talking around on various podcasts this week, that over the first two tests, Scotland have scored more points (combined over the two games) than anyone in the first half (with the possible exception of Ireland, I can't remember if Ireland are ahead of us or not).  However, in the second half they have conceded more than any other team (bar Italy) in the two tests combined.  Toonie is really struggling to utilize our bench this tournament and our replacement front row is...not particularly good.

If the England game plan is to tire out our forwards in the first half, then they could do real damage in the second half of the game, unless something changes within the Scotland camp to get us close to an 80 minute team.

I really don't like this position, because on paper, based purely on the last few years 6n results we go into this game as favourites, which doesn't suit us, on top of that we've not played well in the first couple of rounds, where the victory over Wales felt like a defeat after the 2nd half collapse and the France game, where we had every opportunity to win that game and still managed to lose it regardless of 'Try Gate'.

If we win this game, it'll be by a couple of points no more.  However, what I fear is far more likely is we'll have a blistering first half where England for the most part will soak up our attack and maybe concede a try or two.  In the second half when our players switch off or tire or whatever the f**k it is they do in the second half of games currently, England will let loose and, given the success Wales had with it, likely maul us to death and take the W.

God it sucks being a Scotland supporter, I really wish just once we could go into a game thinking 'we've got this', but the nervous tension and not really ever getting to fully enjoy...any sport really, because you know defeat is always looming on the horizon.  Every other 6n team (excluding Italy) have had a spell since it became the 6n where victory was more likely than defeat, but not for us, it's always defeat first, victory is a pleasant surprise.

EWT Spoons

RDW and TJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 23 Feb 2024, 9:34 am

Mcsweens wrote:

Wait til the pipes start up. That's all I'm able to say. I've already said too much.

Oh I know the connection. Dingwall not in 23 but if Fin Smith gets on could be interesting. Rather last last match I'd hoped Feyi-Waboso would get on against Wales for the added spice, same could apply to Smith given Scotland were interested in him.

mountain man

Mcsweens likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Feb 2024, 9:55 am

mountain man wrote:England cannot rely on beating Scotland just by use of subs though, that's a dangerous game. The game could be done by time they get on! Think most of us want to see more intent from England, I reckon saw more in first 20mins against Italy than have for some time. Obviously Wales game was hampered somewhat by playing with 13 for a time but I really want to see England play to win not play to not lose.
It has to be a balanced approach and I'm certain that'll be case under Borthwick, at least it definitely won't be all out guns blazing attack but selection of Furbank hints at something a bit more.
I assume Scottish concern of bench is forwards not backs but I want to see England backs get time off bench as well.
Usual caveats apply to all this as a card or key injury could throw everything out.

Best way to wear a team down is to have the ball and make them defend a lot of phases, challenge them at scrum and rolling maul. Against Wales we kept them pinned pretty much in their 22 until Chessum got sin binned. Move the Scottish pack around and keep the on their toes and under pressure. Scotland's discipline isn't always top either, force a yellow card etc.

Furbank's kicking game will be key. I just hope he can dominate in the air like Steward does because it's a certainty that Russell will hoist a couple up that will be competed for just to find out. At club level Furbank is reliable if not dominant, we might see Freeman coming in to take some of that responsibility.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next