The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Championship 2024

+6
Lowlandbrit
wisden
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
guildfordbat
Duty281
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

County Championship 2024 - Page 2 Empty County Championship 2024

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Apr 2024, 12:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

The clocks have gone forward, spring has arrived, and it's time for another joyous iteration of cricket's County Championship. This year it is sponsored by sheer pace, as that's what Rob Key has ordered from on high.

There are some format changes to be aware of. Most notably, the points for a draw have gone back to eight, after last season's trial experiment of reducing them to five. The Kookaburra ball will be used for four rounds of the County Championship, up from two last season. And hybrid pitches are allowed for the first time, in a one season experiment.

Division One has lost Middlesex and Northants to relegation, and they are replaced by last year's runaway winners of Division Two, Durham, and the somewhat unlikely presence of Worcestershire.

Surrey are strong favourites to make it three titles in a row. If they achieve it, it would be the third time in County Championship history that Surrey have won it three times in a row, which is rather fitting. Strengthening their side this year is the addition of England's constant nearly man Dan Lawrence, from title rivals Essex.

As well as Essex, Warwickshire, Lancashire and Nottinghamshire are considered the leading rivals to stop Surrey's run. Nottinghamshire have added England quick Josh Tongue to their bowling arsenal, and supplemented the batting with the return of Kiwi Will Young for seven games. Lancashire have secured the services of Nathan Lyon for seven games this season. Essex are considered second favourites with the bookmakers, though they've lost an awful lot of players, including Cook and Lawrence, but they have added Dean Elgar to the ranks.

Worcestershire look doomed to relegation from the outset, not helped by losing Tongue. Kent have flirted with relegation in recent seasons, and are likely to be close to the drop again. They've added Parkinson to their bowling repertoire. Durham will also be looking over their shoulder, and they've added the intriguing figure of Scott Boland to their squad until the end of July.

Somerset and Hampshire occupy a curious middle ground. Neither look strong enough to mount a title challenge, but equally they shouldn't be threatened by the drop.

In Division Two, the most successful county of all time, Yorkshire, are once again trying to break out of the tyranny of the lower tier. They were strong favourites to bounce back up last year, but only managed three wins from 14, and their misery was compounded by a total of a 50 points deduction (but they would have still missed out on promotion even if that didn't happen). Their only squad addition this year is the permanent signing of Moriarty from Surrey, after a short loan stint last season.

Last year's two relegated teams, Middlesex and Northants, will be bidding to do what Yorkshire couldn't do last season and get straight back up. Most notably for Middlesex, they've lost Murtagh to retirement after 16 years at the county and over 1,000 wickets in all formats. Northants have added Bartlett from Somerset and the genuine pace of Scrimshaw from Derbyshire to the squad for this season.

Also giving promotion a damn good go will be Sussex, Leicestershire and Glamorgan, who all narrowly missed out last season. The exciting Jayden Seales will be available for Sussex for the early part of the year, but Jofra Archer sadly won't be. Leicestershire gave it a proper effort last season, despite plenty of off the field turmoil, and it'll be interesting to see if they can replicate it once more amongst quite a few squad changes. Glamorgan have added one-test Mason Crane to their side, while retaining the ability of Labuschagne for a few games. He's probably keen for a few runs.

Rounding off the division are Derbyshire and Gloucestershire. Neither of them won a game last season. Derbyshire have at least been very busy in the off season, adding (among others) Pat Brown, Blair Tickner and Samit Patel, though they have lost the stable presence of du Plooy and the aforementioned Scrimshaw.

All starts on Friday. On with the merriment.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

County Championship 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: County Championship 2024

Post by guildfordbat Thu 18 Apr 2024, 5:23 pm

VTR wrote:Seems fine to me, do we really want the Darren Stevens type players nipping the ball around and averaging about 10. That isn't going to produce many international bowlers. Note that Sam Cook still did well, so it's not like some bowlers didn't take their chance to impress

I do take the Stevens point but we do seem to have gone from one extreme to another. By way of one example, Middlesex look to have a useful seam attack for Div 2 but their two (obviously) drawn games have resulted in a total of 2,415 runs for only 23 wickets. That's an average of 105 runs for each wicket!

I don't have easy answers but simply concede it's hard to get the balance of fair contest between bat and ball right. Especially with the usually best weather weeks of the season given over to The Hundred although that doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

Btw, I was (reliably, I believe) told last night that the remaining two rounds of the K ball will be in late August and early September.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Thu 18 Apr 2024, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 18 Apr 2024, 6:42 pm

I like them trialling the Kookaburra in all parts of the season if they're going to do it. This particular trial has failed though. A ball that goes soft when it gets wet in soft and wet conditions. Especially after an atrocious winter.

As said many times, I wish we'd just ask Dukes to make batches of balls that move less if we want the CC to go that way. The Kookaburra behaves so differently in England compared to Australia that I'm not sure how much you learn from it. We know that different batches of Dukes behave very differently. Figure out which characteristics of a Kookaburra overseas we want to replicate. So, swing conventionally for this X number overs, hold it's seam for the wobble seam for a further Y number of overs, go a bit softer after Z number of overs to make pace and spin more prevalent. Then ask Dukes to create batches that do that in English conditions. As opposed to just using the Kookaburra in an odd hope it'll behave the same way in Cheltenham as it does at that Gabba!

Ultimately I think the counties not having sole say on pitch curation is the only real solution. As much as that is heresy to many county members.

I want CC cricket spread throughout all months of the summer for many reasons but the often touted reasoning of it bringing spin into the game isn't one of them. We can play 8 CC rounds between July and August, I don't think it will see much more spin or pace bowled. If the pitch curation is the same then we'll still see most counties stacking their teams with seam bowling all-rounders on nibbling wickets. It'd just be slightly sunnier for them. The coaches have identified that as the best way to win the CC in English conditions. Cricket all summer won't change that. Alec Stewart is one of the most astute brains in English cricket. Amar Virdi doesn't have the sorest a**e in cricket because Stewie has misread the sport completely. Virdi never plays because Stewie has fairly judged that his best route to winning F-C games in the current situation is a battery of medium-fast to fast-medium seamers with spin bowling all-rounders occasionally turning their arm over when needed.

The only solution I see is having centrally contracted pitch curators who work alongside the ground staff to ensure balanced pitches with certain key characteristics. A bit like the ICC are meant to for World Cups that aren't in India. Many county members response to that will be that the counties aren't just nurseries for England players, they don't solely exist to create Test cricketers. They are their own entities which are there to create county players, win county trophies and provide entertainment for their community. Creating England players is a nice by product of that from time to time. The issue with that though, is that 17 out of 18 counties now operate on the financial model of, "Give us the money Test cricket makes". Which does make producing Test players a slightly more pressing part of their role than it might have been in the past. I do think there needs to be a bit more give from the county game in that regard.

king_carlos

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 18 Apr 2024, 8:48 pm

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/australia-news-scott-boland-s-durham-stint-under-threat-due-to-heel-injury-1429697

Durham's season taking a downturn with Boland missing tomorrow's game, and possibly future games, due to a heel injury.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 19 Apr 2024, 3:27 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
VTR wrote:Seems fine to me, do we really want the Darren Stevens type players nipping the ball around and averaging about 10. That isn't going to produce many international bowlers. Note that Sam Cook still did well, so it's not like some bowlers didn't take their chance to impress

I do take the Stevens point but we do seem to have gone from one extreme to another. By way of one example, Middlesex look to have a useful seam attack for Div 2 but their two (obviously) drawn games have resulted in a total of 2,415 runs for only 23 wickets. That's an average of 105 runs for each wicket!

I don't have easy answers but simply concede it's hard to get the balance of fair contest between bat and ball right. Especially with the usually best weather weeks of the season given over to The Hundred although that doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

Btw, I was (reliably, I believe) told last night that the remaining two rounds of the K ball will be in late August and early September.

Middlesex are an interesting case study! As they have a strong Yorkshire side 95/5 today, with an identical seam attack. Bamber, Higgins and TRJ all average mid 20s with the ball in FC cricket, and Tom Helm just above 30 so a very decent seam attack on paper.

However, Bamber and Higgins opened the bowling in their last game and I didn’t see it, but I imagine the keeper was up to the stumps to both very early if not straight away - as neither will be worrying 75mph anytime soon. So, harsh as it seems, they are the kind of bowler Key is talking about. Late career TRJ probably in that bracket too, albeit he has height on the side to pose other questions. So would almost suggest the Kookaburra ball has done its job in this case… Whether it creates good, entertaining cricket is another debate.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 19 Apr 2024, 11:54 pm

Back to the Dukes ball and back to the wickets (mostly).

Lancashire skittled for 146 in 42 overs. Snater with 4/42 for Essex, but also note Cook's tight 3/18 from 14 overs. Khushi then blasted 53 off 33 to take Essex to 68/1 at stumps.

Warwickshire were business as usual, though, 340/4, with another century for Davies.

Kent were down at 9/2 early, Crawley starting his season with 5, but Bell Drummond and Leaning have responded well. Kent are now 111/3.

Notts were knocked over for 193. Loads of batsmen making starts, none kicking on. Somerset's C Overton leading the figures with 3/57.  No such problem for Somerset's, 116/1 at stumps.

Durham made 244 v Worcestershire, a recovery after 141/7. Robinson with the only 50. Worcestershire 78/4 at stumps, so it's nicely balanced.

Leicestershire 168/2 on a rain dominated day against Derbyshire.

Yorkshire rolled for just 159 v Middlesex, Masood again top scoring, but just 33 this time. Single digits for Root and Brook. And a very solid reply of 84/2 from Middlesex.

Glamorgan 203/7 v Northants, having been 27/4.

And a frustrating day for Ollie Robinson the bowler, 0/56 from 17 overs against Gloucestershire. Gloucestershire managed 319/8, Bracey top scoring with a nice 69.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 20 Apr 2024, 1:27 pm

As regulars will know, I don't like night watchmen but credit where it's due! The species has done very well today. George Garrett (Kent), Josh Davey (Somerset) and Sam Cook (Essex) all went to the crease late yesterday and have survived the morning session with a 40 odd score to their name. Shocked clap

guildfordbat

JDizzle, thegooch7 and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 20 Apr 2024, 10:36 pm

Lancashire on the verge of defeat against Essex. Essex racked up a 231 run lead, and Lancashire already 10/1. This should be Essex's second win, they're making the early running.

Warwickshire went from 340/4 to 455 all out, a credible fightback from Hampshire. Liam Dawson (heart heart heart ) with 5/146. The batsmen then continued the fightback, reaching 140/1 at stumps.

Surrey in complete command against Kent. Sibley heading for another ton, a good start to the season for him, but I'm more likely to be called up for England under the current regime than he is.

Somerset piled up 454 from their solid overnight platform. Interestingly, no centuries, and C Overton top scoring with 95*. That's a lead of 261, and Notts have it all to do at 38/1 in the third innings.

Durham also heading for victory. They bowled Worcestershire out for 184, a lead for Durham of 60, and Durham have swiftly advanced to 319/5. Bedingham 138 from 99!

Australian Marcus Harris went from 77 overnight to a final score of 214, as Leicestershire scored 574/7 declared. No prospect for Derbyshire of anything, already 54/4 - captain Lloyd has scored 40 of those runs, no one else out of single figures!

Yorkshire fought back late on in an intriguing contest against Middlesex. Middlesex were 84/2 overnight, reduced to 136/7, then the tail slipped away from Yorkshire and Middlesex finished up with 246, a lead of 87. Yorkshire were in all sorts of trouble at 83/5, including a first ball duck for Brook, but Hill's unbeaten 50, supported by Thompson and Coad, has lifted Yorkshire to 216/7, a lead of 129. Another 70+ runs tomorrow to make a game of it?

Northants 314/2 against Glamorgan, Vasconcelos heading for a double ton. Yet another in the season's tally!

And Sussex are 267/5, having been 201/2, in response to Gloucestershire's 417. Pujara on 75* being the main hope.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Sat 20 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm

guildfordbat wrote:As regulars will know, I don't like night watchmen but credit where it's due! The species has done very well today. George Garrett (Kent), Josh Davey (Somerset) and Sam Cook (Essex) all went to the crease late yesterday and have survived the morning session with a 40 odd score to their name. Shocked clap

well Sam Cook scored more that any Lancs batsman. Lancs had 10 overs to negotiate and went at 1 an over. Trail by 221. It will be over tomorrow.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 20 Apr 2024, 11:29 pm

Had the pleasure of watching the Bedingham assault live at Kiddie today - given he was fairly sedate up until tea it was a brutal attack in that final session.

Potts and Nathan Smith of Worcs were a different click above the other seamers on shows. Holder is tough to gauge - even when on form he looks relaxed. But Bedingham’s attack was different level on a slow pitch.

JDizzle

guildfordbat, Duty281 and Lowlandbrit like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 21 Apr 2024, 12:36 am

guildfordbat wrote:As regulars will know, I don't like night watchmen but credit where it's due! The species has done very well today. George Garrett (Kent), Josh Davey (Somerset) and Sam Cook (Essex) all went to the crease late yesterday and have survived the morning session with a 40 odd score to their name. Shocked clap

Night Watcher it apparently is now according to the BBC...dear dear me!

thegooch7

guildfordbat and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 21 Apr 2024, 12:51 am

thegooch7 wrote:

Makes him sound like Patrick Moore.

Duty281

JDizzle, guildfordbat, thegooch7 and Jetty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 21 Apr 2024, 9:13 am

thegooch7 wrote:

Hi Goochie - yes, I saw that on the Beeb but not according to me, it's not!

guildfordbat

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 21 Apr 2024, 9:44 am

guildfordbat wrote:
thegooch7 wrote:

Hi Goochie - yes, I saw that on the Beeb but not according to me, it's not!

Is right Guildford! I wonder what the BBC will call the fielder on the offside boundary behind the wicket....Third!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 21 Apr 2024, 9:57 am

JDizzle wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Middlesex are an interesting case study! As they have a strong Yorkshire side 95/5 today, with an identical seam attack. Bamber, Higgins and TRJ all average mid 20s with the ball in FC cricket, and Tom Helm just above 30 so a very decent seam attack on paper.

However, Bamber and Higgins opened the bowling in their last game and I didn’t see it, but I imagine the keeper was up to the stumps to both very early if not straight away - as neither will be worrying 75mph anytime soon. So, harsh as it seems, they are the kind of bowler Key is talking about. Late career TRJ probably in that bracket too, albeit he has height on the side to pose other questions. So would almost suggest the Kookaburra ball has done its job in this case… Whether it creates good, entertaining cricket is another debate.

Hi JD - I actually made a visit to the dark side going to Lord's on Friday for day one of the Middlesex v Yorkshire match. After a bright and breezy start by Adam Lyth and Finlay Bean (adore his name), Yorkshire wickets regularly fell to the home side's fast-medium and military medium pacers. Hard for me to make a judgement on the Dukes ball in this game but it clearly didn't go soft and make life easy for the batters as I have witnessed with the Kookaburra.

Middlesex's success seemed to mainly be owed to an accurate length well supported by an alert field plus a lack of concentration from their opponents including Root and Brook who never settled. The ball definitely wasn't swinging around all over the shop. Key almost certainly still wouldn't have liked it as the seam quartet shared all 10 wickets and were the only bowlers used. Higgins was the slowest of the lot and ended the most successful with a fourfer. After being on the receiving end from the Yorkshire openers at the start, TRJ responded effectively to finish with 3 wickets and whilst knowing his game, sadly - in line with your post - seemed down on his pace from his too brief England time. And, yes, keeper Davies was standing up to opening bowler Bamber in his third over!

I don't believe anyone could claim it was great cricket but I found it enjoyable and entertaining (other than the rain, I left after tea and didn't see Middlesex start their dig). Unlike Key, for me as a paying spectator that's very important.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 21 Apr 2024, 9:54 pm

Very easy win for Essex. They bowled a hapless Lancashire out for 107, to complete an innings and 124 run win. Wickets fairly evenly shared around. Bohannon not making a positive start to the season - 0 and 5 in this fixture. Essex have won two from three and are the early frontrunners.

Hampshire collapsed from 229/1 to 365ao, as Briggs and Yates twirled them into submission. Centuries for Middleton and Gubbins, but not a lot else. Should still be a draw, however.

Surrey racked up 543/7 in the end. Sibley 150 and Lawrence also weighing in with a ton. Kent are on the ropes at 120/5, Worrall with 3/18, but will rain save them?

Notts had a quite incredible day. Battling to survive, they lost Hameed in the third over of the day, but then Clarke and Young batted through the remaining 93 overs to virtually secure a draw. Young with 156* and Clarke 209* (off 304 balls). As I mentioned on the England thread, Clarke has to be in serious discussion for the test team now. Two centuries and a double to kick off this season. Not a good day for Bashir, who bowled 25 wicketless overs and conceded 91.

Durham declared pretty early, after Robinson made another 50. They then bowled Worcestershire out in 76.4 overs to complete a very comfortable win. Coughlin 4/45.

Derbyshire are 4 wickets away from defeat against Leicestershire, after another abject day. Another one hoping for rain.

Yorkshire lost to promotion rivals Middlesex. Yorkshire could only add 28 runs to their overnight score, leaving Middlesex 158 to win. They did lose Stoneman in the first over, but it was a comfortable chase all the same and Middlesex got home by six wickets. An early blow to Yorkshire's hopes of getting out of this division.

Glamorgan are seriously up against it after Nair's double ton for Northants. Glamorgan are 104/3 in the third innings, still trailing by 230, and will need to bat out tomorrow to save the game.

Sussex are looking highly probable to complete an unlikely turnaround win against Gloucestershire. Sussex started the day 267/5, 150 behind, and Pujara was run out quite early. But a 143 stand between Simpson and Lamb lifted Sussex to a first innings lead of 62. Robinson and Seales then wreaked havoc, for the first time in harmony, leaving Gloucestershire reeling at 26/4. There was a slight recovery, getting Gloucestershire to 81/6 at stumps, but that's just a lead of 19 and Sussex should complete the win tomorrow, barring rain.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 22 Apr 2024, 1:45 pm

Derby have got out of jail, with rain forcing an abandonment and no play on day four. Leicestershire have missed out on 8 points, big frustration for them.

Some bad news for Derbyshire Durham is they have lost Boland for the rest of the season due to his injury. So that signing didn't work out as hoped, and a shame not to see more of him. They've replaced him with the Australian veteran Peter Siddle.

Last edited by Duty281 on Mon 22 Apr 2024, 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 22 Apr 2024, 4:14 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
JDizzle wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Hi JD - I actually made a visit to the dark side going to Lord's on Friday for day one of the Middlesex v Yorkshire match. After a bright and breezy start by Adam Lyth and Finlay Bean (adore his name), Yorkshire wickets regularly fell to the home side's fast-medium and military medium pacers. Hard for me to make a judgement on the Dukes ball in this game but it clearly didn't go soft and make life easy for the batters as I have witnessed with the Kookaburra.

Middlesex's success seemed to mainly be owed to an accurate length well supported by an alert field plus a lack of concentration from their opponents including Root and Brook who never settled. The ball definitely wasn't swinging around all over the shop. Key almost certainly still wouldn't have liked it as the seam quartet shared all 10 wickets and were the only bowlers used. Higgins was the slowest of the lot and ended the most successful with a fourfer. After being on the receiving end from the Yorkshire openers at the start, TRJ responded effectively to finish with 3 wickets and whilst knowing his game, sadly - in line with your post - seemed down on his pace from his too brief England time. And, yes, keeper Davies was standing up to opening bowler Bamber in his third over!

I don't believe anyone could claim it was great cricket but I found it enjoyable and entertaining (other than the rain, I left after tea and didn't see Middlesex start their dig). Unlike Key, for me as a paying spectator that's very important.

Couldn’t agree more with the final paragraph! Sport, first and foremost, is about enjoyment - something administrators in every sport would do well to remember at the moment.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 22 Apr 2024, 5:26 pm

Sussex made bloody hard work of it, but did eventually triumph. Resuming on 81/6, Gloucestershire really dug in, with Hammond getting 77 and Zafar Gohar 52. Seales' 4/18, capping a highly impressive start to his season, ended the resistance, with Sussex needing 144 to win. It wasn't so simple, as Gohar took 5 wickets to leave Sussex on the ropes at 70/4 and 115/6, but the experienced Pujara played the calmest hand to get Sussex over the line and, I think, top of the table.

Surrey also had to work a bit harder than expected, but they also won. Draws everywhere else.

Five wins in this round and just four draws. Nice to have the Dukes ball back.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 Apr 2024, 7:51 pm

Duty281 wrote:Derby have got out of jail, with rain forcing an abandonment and no play on day four. Leicestershire have missed out on 8 points, big frustration for them.

Some bad news for Derbyshire is they have lost Boland for the rest of the season due to his injury. So that signing didn't work out as hoped, and a shame not to see more of him. They've replaced him with the Australian veteran Peter Siddle.

Hi Duty - a rare and minor oops from you. Smile Boland was with Durham who have replaced him with Peter Siddle. I thought Siddle was older than me and Alfie combined but cricinfo shows him to be a mere 39. He does seem to have always been around. I recall Kevin Pietersen in his biography referring to Siddle as his most difficult opponent and highlighting his relentless nagging accuracy. Be interesting to see how he gets on now - the Durham track won't be a handicap, for sure.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 23 Apr 2024, 4:59 pm

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C56NRudIBSQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'd noticed a couple of Flintoff's in the Lancs 2nd XI but that's the first time that's popped up in my feed. Eerily similar. Though maybe the no look hook shot isn't the most promising part to be reminiscent of his dad...  Laugh

Rocky is the younger of the two.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 24 Apr 2024, 6:09 pm

king_carlos wrote:https://www.instagram.com/reel/C56NRudIBSQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'd noticed a couple of Flintoff's in the Lancs 2nd XI but that's the first time that's popped up in my feed. Eerily similar. Though maybe the no look hook shot isn't the most promising part to be reminiscent of his dad...  Laugh

Rocky is the younger of the two.

A first ton in the 2nd XI for Rocky today at only 16.

king_carlos

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 26 Apr 2024, 8:51 pm

Essex, county leaders, in a bit of a difficulty. They did manage a solid fightback, Durham went from 221/3 to 358ao, but that still leaves Essex with a fair bit to do. Three wickets each for Porter and Cook. Century for Ackermann. 90 for Ollie Robinson...that's five innings and five fifties this season, but still no century. Frustrating, but great consistency.

15 wickets at The Oval. Hampshire bowled out for 151, Worrall, Clark and Atkinson all with three wickets, but Surrey's reply is a disappointing 123/5. Sibley, Pope, Lawrence and Smith all out cheaply. Abbas' figures are 13-7-7-1!

Notts 367/8 against Warwickshire. Duckett delivering massively with 197* off 230, superb knock. A five ball duck for Clarke. 4/58 for Hannon-Dalby.

Somerset 309/9 declared against Worcestershire, obviously wanting a dart at the opposition late, but no wickets means it didn't pay off.

Middlesex 203 all out versus Gloucestershire. Loads of batsmen getting starts, none converting. de Lange with 6/49. Gloucestershire 82/3 in reply.

Northants 337/6 against Leicestershire. 17 solid overs from Rehan in amongst that.

And Yorkshire 276/3 v Derbyshire...off just 59 overs! Lyth with 97, Root with 65* and Brook 44*. A game that seems a mismatch on paper seems set to be one.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 27 Apr 2024, 10:55 am

Duty281 wrote:Essex, county leaders, in a bit of a difficulty. They did manage a solid fightback, Durham went from 221/3 to 358ao, but that still leaves Essex with a fair bit to do. Three wickets each for Porter and Cook. Century for Ackermann. 90 for Ollie Robinson...that's five innings and five fifties this season, but still no century. Frustrating, but great consistency.

Night watchman Sam Cook opened the batting for Essex and did that job well not only surviving but also facing 11 of the 12 balls bowled before the close.

---

Notts 367/8 against Warwickshire. Duckett delivering massively with 197* off 230, superb knock. A five ball duck for Clarke. 4/58 for Hannon-Dalby.

Olly Stone playing his first Championship match since early May last year. As his CV includes 3 Tests and countless injuries, good to see him with the red ball again.
----

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 27 Apr 2024, 11:22 am

Stone is in that very useful bracket of being quicker than many English seamers but also having plenty of skill. It would help enormously if they could get Stone fit. At 30 he isn't going to have a huge Test career. It would be great if they could get a Ryan Sidebottom esque 20-odd Tests from him near his best though.

As things stand, Wood is the only fast bowler really available to them. It would be good to use him sparingly to get as much from his body as possible. As seen in the Ashes, when Wood is fresh his pace is notch above the others and a real point of difference. His paces drop off when used back to back though. Understandably given I reckon Wood at his peak paces just now is about the fastest I've seen.

Even a Jof-less England could have a few points of difference available between Wood (express), Stone (fast and skillful) and Tongue (sharp side of fast-medium and odd release point). Maybe Atkinson too. I think he's a quality talent but I've mainly seem him in white ball, so I'll reserve judgement until he presumably has a Test debut this summer.

king_carlos

guildfordbat, alfie and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 27 Apr 2024, 8:28 pm

Quite a rain affected day.

Essex moved into complete control against Durham. 314/3 at stumps. Khushi with a ton and Browne supporting with 94*. Carse 0/71 from 16 overs; a really tough start to the season for Carse. Season figures of 35-1-199-0! An England test call up looks quite far away on this evidence. Also a tough day for Potts, and he's averaging over 40 this season, which is disappointing after a good winter with the Lions.

Surrey moved up from 123/5 to a formidable 359ao. Burns with a ton, but, more surprisingly, Clarke with a run a ball ton lower down the order. Hampshire in deep trouble at 31/2 in the third innings.

Notts made 400, an extra point, and Duckett got his double ton. Warwickshire were 26/3 at one point, but Barnard and Mousley have lifted them to 71/3 at stumps. No wickets for Stone, yet, on his return, but two for Pennington.

Worcestershire 107/1 v Somerset, not a lot of play there today.

Pretty impressive day for Gloucestershire, reaching 271/6, looking like a good lead.

Northants finished with 453/7 declared. Just getting the last batting point by virtue of 50 runs off the last four overs! Bartlett with an unbeaten ton, and Rehan with a solid 2/64. Leicestershire fighting for survival at 97/2.

And Yorkshire got 450/5 declared against Derbyshire, easily getting the full batting points with 13 overs to spare. Root with 119 and Brook 126* off 135. It did look like Derbyshire were going to be knocked over without much fuss at 23/3, Fisher getting a couple, but a fantastic partnership between Madsen and Guest has taken them to 190/3 at stumps, with a decent prospect of a draw. Yorkshire really need this win, haven't got one yet this season.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 28 Apr 2024, 7:05 pm

No play at Durham, Yorkshire or Leicestershire. Those three games will be draws. And delays at all other games, I think.

Surrey managed to get three wickets closer to victory. They should get over the line with little fuss tomorrow.

Warwickshire are 175/5. Notts 15 wickets away from victory, so it's likely just to be a scrap for bonus points on Monday.

Worcestershire had an inspired day, moving to 451/9 declared. Libby out for 97, but Roderick completing a ton. Bashir collected 2/97, successful early on but then fading. Somerset then lost a wicket in the three overs remaining, still trailing by 137. So an outside chance of Worcestershire forcing a collapse and a first win of the season.

Middlesex were in difficulty against Gloucestershire. The latter had a 119 run lead, then Middlesex were floundering at 9/2 and 79/3, but tons for Higgins and Holden have surely secured a draw.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 29 Apr 2024, 4:22 pm

20 minutes after tea on day 4 and hard to see any team joining Surrey as winners of this round ....

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 29 Apr 2024, 6:18 pm

guildfordbat wrote:20 minutes after tea on day 4 and hard to see any team joining Surrey as winners of this round ....

... and no other team did.

Guessing further details from main man Duty later. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 29 Apr 2024, 6:28 pm

As expected really, Surrey win and all the other games are draws.

Perhaps the best entertainment was found at Leicester. Rehan and Handscomb had a partnership of 167 from 31.5 overs. Rehan was out for 85 and, very cruelly, Handscomb was run out by a direct hit on 99. Leicestershire did end up with full batting points.

Yorkshire suffered some minor embarrassment as Derbyshire finished up with 447, despite being 23/3 and 297/7.

Means Leicestershire are top of Division Two, despite not winning a game yet, though Sussex have a game in hand. Surrey and Essex are tied at the top of Division One, with a fair gap already opening to those 3rd and below. Kent and Lancashire in the relegation places, but both with a game in hand.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2