The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Longest Day

+4
LondonJonnyO
navyblueshorts
drive4show
JAS
8 posters

Go down

Longest Day Empty Longest Day

Post by JAS Wed 15 Jun - 12:55

Apologies in advance chaps and chapesses this is amongst other things a blatant plug for sponsorship. I know I've plugged it before (might have been on the Old BBC boards) when we first applied to do it but as it's only a few days away now I thought I'd refresh peoples memories

On Monday 20th June we will be doing a 72 holes in a day challenge over 4 different local courses in Aid of MacMillan Cancer Care (the courses are Marlborough, Ogbourne Downs, Broome Manor & Wrag Barn). Our 4ball consists of myself (7) and 3 golf buddies off 9, 13 & 18. If you wish to donate online the justgiving address is www.justgiving.com/steveparsons3 I look forward to receiving some from you regulars

Aside from the sponsorship what about having a sweepstake at guessing our total score?

Basically it's Stableford full handicap with the best 2 peoples points counting on each hole.

I have some guest passes for Wrag so the closest guesser of those that sponsor us can have a free round with me.

Best Regards

JAS

JAS

Back to top Go down

Longest Day Empty Re: Longest Day

Post by drive4show Wed 15 Jun - 12:59

JAS wrote:

I have some guest passes for Wrag so the closest guesser of those that sponsor us can have a free round with me.

Best Regards

JAS

In that case, I'll give it a miss laughing

Seriously, I'll bung you some cash on the 26th, that way you won't have to pay any justgiving commission furious

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 15 Jun - 13:49

Ha, actually you'd be surprised, wrag's greens have improved dramatically over the spring, at the moment they are easily the best they've been since I joined.
Looking forward to the 26th though, even though it will be my 11th round in 8 days!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 15 Jun - 16:41

clap Done; with pleasure. Macmillan were a real port in a storm with my dad a few years back. Good luck and have a Ale or two for me when you're done.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 15 Jun - 16:44

I applaud your efforts but will not be contributing.

I provide all of my support to the Royal Marsden directly. (for very specific reasons... and it is all cancer support/care/research at the end of the day)

That said I hope you are successful in raising your target.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 15 Jun - 19:17

Jas
A tenner winging it's way to you from the Doon household.

Like LJ I have a SO to Cancer Research [Lady Doon had more than a close encounter with the Marsden] but make the odd exception for an extra effort.

I hope you are playing the courses as listed. You would not want to play Ogbourne last.

Good luck to the four of you.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 15 Jun - 19:20

Sorry
Total score 1,376 strokes.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 15 Jun - 20:00

Good luck from me also. I regularly play in McMillan events (even won one) and contribute often to them although I don't have personal connections as close as some here do. My affiliation to McMillan is more to do with what that did for a good friend of mine (rather than family)

Interesting to see Doon mention Ogbourne - it's the only one of the 4 courses mentioned that I've played but I found it very enjoyable (if a little tough)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 15 Jun - 20:38

Davie/Jas

I was thinking about the hills.
Broome and Wragg are fairly flat.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 15 Jun - 20:42

Yeah Ogbourne is a bit of a haul

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 15 Jun - 21:46

cheers Doon & NBS, just seen your donations online. To be honest having lost my Mrs to a Heart Condition I usually lean toward the BHF as my chosen charity but I do recognise the sterling work that MacMillan do. Lets face it, the big C is fairly indiscriminate in its victim selection. There can't be many of us who don't know someone that has had to face the battle. The help and comfort that Macmillan provide during that battle is priceless.

P.S. Have another go at the score...best 2 stableford scores at each hole to count. A realistic expectation is probably somewhere between 300 & 320 points. It'll be interesting to see the points difference between the first & last round.

Oh and yes we are doing the courses in the order listed (journey times and likely traffic issues all factored in)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 15 Jun - 22:18

My speed reading skills eh!
I will go for 289 then.

Sorry to hear about your wife.
Luckily never had to use Macmillan but I am well aware of the work they do.

My wife and another lady set up the Wiltshire branch of Breakthrough Breast Cancer when we lived down there. They recently went through the £1m raised barrier.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sat 18 Jun - 14:21

JAS, I'll go for 318 points.

From my experience, make sure you pace yourselves for surprisingly it's more mentally than physically exhausting

Have a great event

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 21 Jun - 7:35

Morning all from an extremely knackered JAS. Will do a proper update later but just to summarize we completed the challenge, tee'd off at Marlborough at 4.15 in the early morning gloom and I sunk the last putt at Wrag barn just after 9.00pm. Got extremely lucky with the weather only needing the brollies & waterproofs between holes 59 & 71. Scoring wise I personally shot 35, 32, 40 (wtf!!) and 30. Statto Steve will confirm the team score this morning but over the 73rd hole Guinness last night I think he said 344.

Many thanks to all of you who donated, for those of you that haven't you still can at www.justgiving.com/steveparsons3

Yas, thank you for your donation and your closest guess. Let me know when you would like to have a bat around Wrag and we'll get it sorted. Doon, I don't know how often you get back to Swindon but it would be good to meet up for a game too next time you're down.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 21 Jun - 17:24

Jas
Well done and great scoring, you must go into more detail of that 40 pointer.

Probably in the Swindon area for a couple of days in October on our yearly trip south to catch up with friends and family.
Don't normally take the clubs but might make an exception this year.

Anyway, well done and put your feet up.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 21 Sep - 6:52

Never actually gave a final update on this....

Our final total raised was £2307.20 which multiplied by our stableford points total of 342 wasn't quite enough to qualify for the European finale.

For the record... 330 teams raised around £330000 for MacMillan. We can take a little pride from knowing that our fundraising efforts must have been above the average and a lot of pride from the fact that golfers as a whole have helped swell MacMillan's coffers by such a huge amount.

A final big thank you who all that donated Smile

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 21 Sep - 17:41

Fantastic result JAS - clap

You and your team have done an admirable job and you should all, very rightly, feel proud of a good job well done.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Sep - 18:14

Well done Jas and Co.
Pretty decent total for a great charity.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down