The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Win Column in History

+14
The Galveston Giant
Fists of Fury
Seanusarrilius
manos de piedra
BALTIMORA
oxring
zx1234
coxy0001
Scottrf
88Chris05
Mind the windows Tino.
HumanWindmill
The genius of PBF
Imperial Ghosty
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Best Win Column in History - Page 2 Empty The Best Win Column in History

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

This thread I imagine will favour the fighters of old, back in time when they fought more often and less discriminantly although i'm also interested to hear your views on their more modern counterparts

In short which fighters have the best win columns, only taking into account a fighters win, so although they may have fought an opponent 4/5/6 times if they only have one win in the series than than that is all that matters

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

The Best Win Column in History - Page 2 Empty Re: The Best Win Column in History

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:16 pm

Bernard Hopkins;

Jones jr
ODLH
Tarver
Pavlik
Pascal
Glenn Johnson
Wright
Trinidad.......

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

The Best Win Column in History - Page 2 Empty Re: The Best Win Column in History

Post by OasisBFC Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:50 pm

lewis - yes, yes most have question marks next to them (age, the manor of the win etc) but the names on lennox lewis W column are fantastic.

- holyfield
- tyson
- klitschko
- ruddock

then others like

mercer / golota / botha / briggs / tua / mccall / bruno / tucker

not to forget glen mccrory...

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

oxring wrote:PBF - pop question, I'm sure its on everyone's mind.

SRR - PBF at welter.

Who wins and how?

Will make a article on it soon. thumbsup

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:09 pm

While I think there is an elite five in this department consisting of Robinson, Armstrong, Greb, Ali and Benny Leonard (perhaps Langford nicking a spot, on reflection) I'd have to say that, over the last twenty-five years or so, Julio Cesar Chavez takes some beating in terms of that win column.

Roger Mayweather, Ruben Castillo, Rocky Lockridge, Juan La Porte, Edwin Rosario, Greg Haugen, Hector Camacho, Meldrick Taylor, Frankie Randall, Jose Luis Ramirez, Giovanni Parisi and probably one or two more that I've forgotten. Granted, a couple of those wins were controversial, but regardless of that I'd still say his list of wins tops Mayweather's, Pacquiao's and Hopkins'.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 20 Jun 2011, 5:41 pm

Wouldn't have Robinson in my top 5 Chris, don't think his record is as great as his talent

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 5:47 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Wouldn't have Robinson in my top 5 Chris, don't think his record is as great as his talent

Really? Interesting opinion, and I'm sure you have your reasons. Personally though, I don't think there are five fighters in history who can trump a win column boasting Doyle, Bell, Zivic, Gavilan, La Motta, Basora, Turpin, Graziano, Fullmer, Basilio, Moyer and Olson, particularly considering that only one of them (Fullmer) actually had a winning record against him, and that was when Robinson was way past his best, and Fullmer was bang in the middle of his pomp.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 20 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

No Angott or Zanelli?

Well Greb, Charles, Armstrong, Ali and Leonard did without any doubt in my mind beat more genuiniely great fighters than Robinson, many of the names you mentioned were great but weren't as great as the aforementioned beat. Then again I do now have Charles as my numero uno so may be slightly biased

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:19 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:No Angott or Zanelli?

Well Greb, Charles, Armstrong, Ali and Leonard did without any doubt in my mind beat more genuiniely great fighters than Robinson, many of the names you mentioned were great but weren't as great as the aforementioned beat. Then again I do now have Charles as my numero uno so may be slightly biased

Should add, first off, that I meant to say an elite six of Robinson, Armstrong, Greb, Ali, Benny Leonard and Charles earlier, rather than an elite five. Would never discount Charles' phenomenal record from consideration when it comes to this subject, was merely a memory slip.

I can accept that when it comes to purely who they recorded wins against, Greb and Charles have the edge on Robinson. I'd say that Armstrong is more or less on an equal footing (it's Armstrong's phenomenal and unusual triple crown feat which makes me plump for him as my all-time number one ahead of Robinson). Benny Leonard is debatable, particularly allowing for the scope of Newspaper Decisions. Britton, Kansas, Mitchell, White, Welsh, Kilbane and Dundee is incredible, but I'm not entirely sure it trumps Robinson's list of victims.

Would have to flat out disagree with Ali though, fabulous as he was. Given that Welterweight has almost always been a stronger division than Heavyweight, I'd have to say that Gavilan as a singular win beats anything that Ali did (I'd say that Foreman was his finest hour), and the rest of his victims are, at the very least, of an equal quality to Liston, Frazier, Norton, Terrell, Patterson, Shavers and Folley, in a pound for pound sense.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm

Contentious but superbly debated stuff by ghosty and chris.......

Agree with Greb and Charles opponent wise....

However for what it's worth in the alltime stakes changing the subject....Ali and Robbo's longevity at the top gives them the edge for me...why i have them 1 and 2...

But carry on it's very good.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:38 am

I don't ever really rate the Heavyweights in a pound for pound sense and in beating Liston, Frazier and Foreman, Ali beat 3 boxers with very strong claims to being amongst the top ten in their division, not many if any can claim such a record not even the greats such as Greb, Charles or Robinson.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2